Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Please Post Your EBG Upgrade Successes!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please Post Your EBG Upgrade Successes!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2008, 11:11 pm

Programs: SK EBG (*G), First Hotels Platinum, Hertz PC, SJ Prio Black
Here i am sitting in the Air China First Class lounge in PEK, after visiting the Olympic Games. A colleague and I were booked on G eco-fare and according to seatcounter there is plenty of space in eco. At checkin we asked for UG and both of us got it, to C:-). Which is just excellent since my stomach and Montezuma have joined a war against me..

/Outbound
Old Aug 16, 2008, 12:57 am

Programs: EK Platinum, Hertz President's Circle, IHG Spire Elite Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by Outbound
Here i am sitting in the Air China First Class lounge in PEK, after visiting the Olympic Games. A colleague and I were booked on G eco-fare and according to seatcounter there is plenty of space in eco. At checkin we asked for UG and both of us got it, to C:-). Which is just excellent since my stomach and Montezuma have joined a war against me..

/Outbound
I have given up asking for upgrades now with SAS (they always tell you hown many points it will cost... take my chances on being the last to check-in instead), but it is good to hear that AC still are willing to consider it. Has anyone else asked for an upgrade and got it with AC or another *A member?
Old Aug 16, 2008, 12:20 pm

Programs: EBG, UA, HHonors, SPG, IC
Upgrade success SAS

I see many of you have experienced limited success asking for the comp. upgrades so I figured I would post my success story.

I was on a flight from MCO to CPH via New York, while waiting in the lounge in NYC I requested to buy an upgrade to EcoExtra as I usually do when I fly on my own dime. I got the upgrade as always when asking to pay with points on long-haul flights. It so happens that the flight comming in from CPH was delayed and due to weather had to make an unscheduled stop in Boston, so as the time got close to midnight I asked the lounge crew if i could upgrade to C so i could get some decent rest as my whole schedule for the next day was falling apart as we were stranded in NYC. She told me she would check and 10 min later i had seat 1A - and the 10,000 points for the Eco --> EcoExtra upgrade was even returned into my account...

On the other hand when it comes to the supposedly comp. upgrades when you stay at a SAS Raddison hotel... well.. I just recently decided to switch from the Scandic chain to the SAS Raddison due to Scandic discontinue the HHonors program. So far I probably stayed 10 times in Oslo, Stockholm and Copenhagen and not ONCE did I get upgraded to any better room - actually I often end up getting two small beds instead of the requested queensize bed.
Old Aug 17, 2008, 9:32 am

Programs: EK Platinum, Hertz President's Circle, IHG Spire Elite Royal Ambassador
Well, I followed my colleague's theory of never checking in on-line, as late as possible. I checked in at the desk and got the same seat that I saw the system had allocated me on-line, 14H. I got to the gate and got an upgrade from Y to C, 01A. Much apprciated SAS! I hope that I get the same when I travel back IAD-CPH on Friday (in case any nice person at SAS is reading this!)
Old Aug 17, 2008, 12:39 pm

Programs: SAS Gold, FB Gold, BA Gold, EY Silver
Good evening from the LH SEN lounge in Frankfurt!

Latest upgrade for me was M->C ARN-LHR in July. Nice to get upgraded but the flight itself was nothing to write home about.

Originally Posted by S*Flyer
So far I probably stayed 10 times in Oslo, Stockholm and Copenhagen and not ONCE did I get upgraded to any better room - actually I often end up getting two small beds instead of the requested queensize bed.
I have very good statistics when it comes to Radisson upgrades, I can mention more Radisson hotels where I have been upgraded than Radisson hotels where I have not been upgraded.
The hotels in the Scandinavian capitals are probably harder though as there are so many EBGs staying in those hotels, in Continental Europe you'll have much better luck, but make sure to ask about it!
Old Aug 26, 2008, 3:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: SK*G & Centurion
Wirelessly posted (Nokia E71: Opera/9.50 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.1.11355/546; U; en))

This summer I visited some friends in Alicante (Spain) and experienced something interesting onboard the "LCC" SK flight down to ALC.

After take off I put on my noise cancelling headphones and doze off for a couple of minutes until someone poked me. I woke up and saw the purser standing next to me smiling and trying to ask me in spanish (I'm spanish; I have a spanish name and I look rather spanish too ) if I was mr robbiedeluxe? I smiled back and replied in norwegian that yes it was me. She started laughing and excused herself for the bad spanish and said she wanted to thank me for flying SK and *A, and that she was going to give me a voucher valid for all food/drink items in today's cloudshop - she also said that I should not hesitate contacting her if I needed anything else (at this point my fellow emergency exit seatmates are all looking and making comments), she then finalized her little speech saying she was happy to have me onboard...

Not bad, eh?
Old Aug 26, 2008, 6:45 am

Programs: SK EBG, LH SEN.
Originally Posted by Robbiedeluxe
Wirelessly posted (Nokia E71: Opera/9.50 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.1.11355/546; U; en))

This summer I visited some friends in Alicante (Spain) and experienced something interesting onboard the "LCC" SK flight down to ALC.

After take off I put on my noise cancelling headphones and doze off for a couple of minutes until someone poked me. I woke up and saw the purser standing next to me smiling and trying to ask me in spanish (I'm spanish; I have a spanish name and I look rather spanish too ) if I was mr robbiedeluxe? I smiled back and replied in norwegian that yes it was me. She started laughing and excused herself for the bad spanish and said she wanted to thank me for flying SK and *A, and that she was going to give me a voucher valid for all food/drink items in today's cloudshop - she also said that I should not hesitate contacting her if I needed anything else (at this point my fellow emergency exit seatmates are all looking and making comments), she then finalized her little speech saying she was happy to have me onboard...

Not bad, eh?
Sounds fantastic, was this really SK ?? ..never got this treatment, and I do not know when I have my next P class flight, off to LHR today in C...
Old Aug 26, 2008, 10:37 am

Programs: SK*G
Originally Posted by Robbiedeluxe

I was on this ALC LCC SK flight this summer too, and this did not happen to me...

But as to previous upgrades, every time M-C on IC flights originating from CPH. No upgrades on europrean cross boarder. But I've decided to ditch SK and go for JK\LH combo on flights from ES to NO.

LN-KMS
Old Sep 1, 2008, 11:30 am

Programs: EBG (*G), QR Gold
Radisson SAS Scandinavia, Copenhagen

EBG room upgrade success; To business suite, free breakfast, free movies.

The "dominoes pizza" button the phone is also cool.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 3:32 pm

Programs: SAS Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG RA Spire
A little update from the world of op-ups:

SK:
ARN-ORD M --> Y+ (pre-check in - used points to C)
ARN-OSL M --> Y+ (at the gate when boarding)
ORD-ARN M --> C (after check in while waiting in the lounge)
EWR-ARN Y+ --> C (at check in)

LH:
FRA-JFK Y --> C (one of those rare moments when you don't expect it, and the machine just beeps and give you a new seat )

UA:
ALB-ORD Y --> F (approached while waiting in the gate area; "here's your new boarding pass, Sir." - it was the same guy that had checked me in initially)

Also regular Radisson SAS room upgrades, but I have yet to try at a renamed BLU-hotel.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 12:27 am

Programs: EBG
I don't recall the dates

but as a EBG I had upgrades on 6 occasions the last years. 4 times for me and my family, upgraded to C-class on US trips, and I have been upgraded from Y to C twice on Europe-US flights.
Lately I had 3 upgrades this year to C-class (from Y+) on europeean flighst as a Pandion. But I have had more flight with NO upgrades to put it that way

Last edited by VirreVapp; Oct 14, 2009 at 1:59 am
Old Oct 12, 2009, 5:21 am

Programs: EBG, ACP, FBS
LHR-OSL M -> C this summer. Thats the only op-up I ever had.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 12:11 pm

Programs: Eurobonus (*G)
In October 09: CPH-IAD-CPH M to Y+ through optiontown (175 Eur) to IAD and M to Y+ for 10 000 points back. C was sold out in both directions.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 4:56 pm

Programs: LH SEN, SK Silver, PC Platinum, FB Platinum, BA
Not to many upgrades unfortunately with the EBG...
Since -05:
FRA-GOT M => C (LH)
GOT-HEL M => C (Blue1)
VIE-SYD M => C (Austrian, really nice 21h flight!)
CPH-ORD M => Y+ (SK)
FRA-CPH M => C (SK)
Old Oct 14, 2009, 9:24 am

Programs: SK Eurobonus Diamond (Lifetime Star Gold), Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Platinum)
Iīve only ever had two upgrades with SK.

The first one was an op-up as an EBS in 2006 on CPH-NRT from M -> Y. It happened after I had settled into my seat and the flight attendant really had to convince me to take the upgrade as I had secured an exit row window seat in M at the time of booking. Once I had accepted the upgrade I really enjoyed my first taste of life up in the front of the plane.

The second was this summer as a EBG under a somewhat sadder situation. One of my close relatives became seriously ill back home while I was on vacation. I therefore had to by a OW ticket at the very last second and fly home the next morning from FRA. At times like this you donīt care about upgrade - just about getting home as fast as possible, so when the machine at boarding spit out a new boarding pass with a M -> C upgrade due to overbooking, I was just glad not to be denied boarding due to the overbooking.

Svantevit

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.