Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

New Service from SAS from March - Live from press-conference

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Service from SAS from March - Live from press-conference

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2007, 8:56 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
i think they will keep the 25% for the classes they don't want to give EB points. To give 150 points for CPH ARN doesn't cost much (it is 1/80 of what is needed to redeem a return CPH ARN) and this allow them to market "all fares earn EB points!).

I am however very sceptical regarding one way fares strategy in general, this allows business travellers to buy cheap tickets (and therefore spending less) and since the costs are still the same, it means that the leisure traveller will need to pay for the difference. It is what happened with the European one way concept. I guess the same will happen for intercontinental.

Regarding Eco/Ecoflex, i would have see Eco P class for fares under 100 EUR / segment, where they can compete with no frills airlines. No or 25% EB points. Eco Extra with free food and drinks for all 100% EB point booking classes. Depending on the booking class afterwards, there is a fee or no fee to change the ticket...

but that's just a dream, just a dream...
Old Feb 8, 2007, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Times for the new ARN-BKK:

SK975 ARN-BKK 20.30 13.50 1--4-6-
SK976 BKK-ARN 15.40 20.05 -2--5-7
Old Feb 8, 2007, 10:09 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
These are some good improvements for EBG. ^ (I think some more are needed, but this seems much better than what's the current state.)

Now, I'm left wondering what SAS will do to keep non-EBG *Gold business? Why go for a carrier like SAS when the alternative provides more miles on discount economy fares and some food and drink?

I still don't think their EconFlex/Extra strategy is that good.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 10:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nef0423
Does the free food/beverage option for EBG also apply to Star Alliance Gold flying on SK?
No such thing stated here-in. It would be nice if SAS did, but I'm not counting on it.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 10:46 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Now, I'm left wondering what SAS will do to keep non-EBG *Gold business?
Probably have the same attitude as UA had towards *S/*G: kick their a** out off Economy Plus

Seriously, better earnings would be my best bet
Old Feb 8, 2007, 10:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by tommy777
Probably have the same attitude as UA had towards *S/*G: kick their a** out off Economy Plus

Seriously, better earnings would be my best bet

Note: "... but, in practice, I get E+ across the oceans even when using OAL *Gold".

If SAS does the better earnings on SAS flights only credited to EuroBonus but not when to OAL *Alliance accounts, what will you do then? (Seriously, I hope they don't even consider that.)
Old Feb 8, 2007, 10:49 am

I still don't think their EconFlex/Extra strategy is that good.
It's an excellent strategy to increase the yield of Scandinavian pax. SAS goal is to give higher paying pax something back. This is a direct move against DY and it will succeed
Old Feb 8, 2007, 11:25 am

Programs: BA; SK; VS, AA
...and when will these changes be introduced?
Old Feb 8, 2007, 11:44 am
Suspended

It's an excellent strategy to increase the yield of Scandinavian pax. SAS goal is to give higher paying pax something back. This is a direct move against DY and it will succeed
I think it will work, but I think it can be made to work better.

Are you against them sweetening the pot even more?

How does it hit up against Norwegian? (Are DY flights between ARN and OSL representative of Norwegian's other routes in terms of service?)
Old Feb 8, 2007, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
piping up from the back of the plane

Not a road warrior here, nor even an EB member. I love to travel, but paying my own fare for business or pleasure makes me price sensitive. My first flight on SAS in '96 was a real pleasure and I've tried to fly them whenever possible, but since then I've only seen fares climb as service declines. With the final insult of those stingy 25% *A awards, I've been using other carriers to fly to and within Scandinavia. I don't relish the idea of visible discrimination between me and EB customers (I assume you need status for those free meals etc.) so this month may be my last SAS flight.

My point: doesn't SAS needs the more casual customer as well true FFers? Especially, as some posters point out, if these changes inevitably mean higher Economy fares? Isn't SAS risking emptying out the back of the plane? Can't be good for the bottom line.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fornebufox
My point: doesn't SAS needs the more casual customer as well true FFers? Especially, as some posters point out, if these changes inevitably mean higher Economy fares? Isn't SAS risking emptying out the back of the plane? Can't be good for the bottom line.
According to the presentations today, 60-70% of SAS customers are travelling on business - i.e. business is their purpose (not necessarily what they have bought...). That's important to remember, and a good reason why they are taking this route now I believe.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by amarbokhari
...and when will these changes be introduced?
Service (food etc), New Economy Extra etc. will be offered from March 25th. EB changes spring/summer 2007
Old Feb 8, 2007, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by Fornebufox
Not a road warrior here, nor even an EB member. I love to travel, but paying my own fare for business or pleasure makes me price sensitive. My first flight on SAS in '96 was a real pleasure and I've tried to fly them whenever possible, but since then I've only seen fares climb as service declines. With the final insult of those stingy 25% *A awards, I've been using other carriers to fly to and within Scandinavia. I don't relish the idea of visible discrimination between me and EB customers (I assume you need status for those free meals etc.) so this month may be my last SAS flight.

The economy prices will not go up.

The economy pax on cheap fares will always be there and with the increases in travel we see now, it will be full house. These pax don't care about anything but the price, that's not a challenge for SAS

The challenge has always been the pax that pay higher fares, they have felt so screwed the last years. Now they get something back
Old Feb 8, 2007, 2:45 pm
Suspended

The economy prices will not go up.

The economy pax on cheap fares will always be there and with the increases in travel we see now, it will be full house. These pax don't care about anything but the price, that's not a challenge for SAS

The challenge has always been the pax that pay higher fares, they have felt so screwed the last years. Now they get something back
Economy pax on cheap fares can be influenced by frequent flyer programs. But when earning is 0-25% on cheap fares, SAS's not helping itself. I've used AF/KL/AZ on trips when SAS (or British Airways) would otherwise make sense because of frequent flyer programs. Not the bulk of the market obviously, but segmentation makes sense. Perhaps SAS can do something on cheap fares like, pay X% surcharge for your flight and earn 100% miles.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 10:30 pm

I've used AF/KL/AZ on trips...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.