Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

The SAS | EuroBonus Forum Kafé

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The SAS | EuroBonus Forum Kafé

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2021, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Nick Art
I'm currently looking at tickets for a trip to Japan in February. (I know that can't be booked that far out yet, I was just checking the shedule for November to see what works for me).
Something like ZRH-CPH-HND-CTS KIX-HND-CPH-ZRH.

While the normal ZRH-CPH-HND works fine on nearly all dates I noticed that the NH operated feeders all book themselves in to Economy, despite the ticket being in Business Class. Now if I remember correctly that might be because domestic Business class is declared as First on NH. Is there a way to force the booking to put these segments in to Domestic First on NH without a huge reprice?
NH domestic Premium Class (as it is called) is never available as award.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 3:41 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
NH Premium Class (as it is called) is never available as award.
I'm looking at normal paid tickets though.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
I'm looking at normal paid tickets though.
Sorry, somehow I thought you were booking for points.
​​​​
The news is not much better for revenue. I think only first class fares can connect in Premium Class, otherwise Y domestic connections. But you can upgrade any fare on the day of departure at a cost between 7000 and 15000 yen depending on distance, based on availability of the day.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 3:53 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Sorry, somehow I thought you were booking for points.
​​​​
The news is not much better for revenue. I think only first class fares can connect in Premium Class, otherwise Y domestic connections. But you can upgrade any fare on the day of departure at a cost between 7000 and 15000 yen depending on distance, based on availability of the day.
No worries and thanks for the info. The upgrade price seems reasonably cheap, let's hope the connections will have some space then as I'm booking for three, connection flights seem to be operated by B777s or B787s... Still kinda annoying that it forces Y connections on you!
Old Jan 6, 2021, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No worries and thanks for the info. The upgrade price seems reasonably cheap, let's hope the connections will have some space then as I'm booking for three, connection flights seem to be operated by B777s or B787s... Still kinda annoying that it forces Y connections on you!
HND CTS is operated on wodebodies on most flights, but finding 3 seats on day of departure in Premium Class needs a fair amount of luck. Almost a unicorn. But it could happen, I'd probably not want to come to the Haneda counters with short notice.

I would be surprised if KIX HND is on a widebody, it is usually not that busy. Most people from the Osaka and Kyoto region will go to Itami that is far more conveniently located than Kankuu. Narrow bodies don't have more than 8 premium seats, if any.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 9:28 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

HND CTS is operated on wodebodies on most flights, but finding 3 seats on day of departure in Premium Class needs a fair amount of luck. Almost a unicorn. But it could happen, I'd probably not want to come to the Haneda counters with short notice.

I would be surprised if KIX HND is on a widebody, it is usually not that busy. Most people from the Osaka and Kyoto region will go to Itami that is far more conveniently located than Kankuu. Narrow bodies don't have more than 8 premium seats, if any.
I'll probably only go to HND then and take the Shinkansen to Sapporo... Seems to be much more pleasant than the option of being stuck in Y.

And I just found out the Shinkansen Line to Sapporo only opens in 2031 and currently you have to change in Hakodate which increases the train journey to 8.5 hours.

Maybe I'll just buy a NH F/J ticket then...

I'm open to better suggestions!

Last edited by Nick Art; Jan 6, 2021 at 9:45 am
Old Jan 6, 2021, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'll probably only go to HND then and take the Shinkansen to Sapporo... Seems to be much more pleasant than the option of being stuck in Y.

And I just found out the Shinkansen Line to Sapporo only opens in 2031 and currently you have to change in Hakodate which increases the train journey to 8.5 hours.

Maybe I'll just buy a NH F/J ticket then...

I'm open to better suggestions!
You can buy a separate premium class ticket to Sapporo, you anyway need to reclaim luggage at arrival in Haneda. Though of course protection for a delay will be gone.
A separate Premium Class ticket will cost about 40,000 to 55,000 yen per direction.

Another option is just fly in Y. Premium Class is not that great, and it is about 1.5 hours. It is worth doing if possible, but apart from Okinawa Japan domestic is short enough to survive the back of the bus.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
I think *A partner with NH to provide cheap domestic tickets within Japan (not sure if it's only for Y) for foreigner nationals with a *A ticket to Japan. Last time I went to CTS using UA point with CA (HAM-MUC-PEK-CTS) C and Y on NH (CTS-NRT-DUS-HAM). If you can, why not do ZRH-ARN-HND-CTS? ARN-HND will be on NH (if they are still flying that route)? I'll take NH over SK at any time.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nacho
I think *A partner with NH to provide cheap domestic tickets within Japan (not sure if it's only for Y) for foreigner nationals with a *A ticket to Japan. Last time I went to CTS using UA point with CA (HAM-MUC-PEK-CTS) C and Y on NH (CTS-NRT-DUS-HAM). If you can, why not do ZRH-ARN-HND-CTS? ARN-HND will be on NH (if they are still flying that route)? I'll take NH over SK at any time.
The cheap tickets are only in Y., and would then count on day of departure upgrade for premium class. Since it is a cash ticket, if Y is acceptable it is probably cheaper to get it as a connection to begin with. But it is always worth checking.

To be honest, I doubt HND ARN is happening anytime soon. But it will. E interesting to see which of all the new Haneda flights will actually happen.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The cheap tickets are only in Y., and would then count on day of departure upgrade for premium class. Since it is a cash ticket, if Y is acceptable it is probably cheaper to get it as a connection to begin with. But it is always worth checking.

To be honest, I doubt HND ARN is happening anytime soon. But it will. E interesting to see which of all the new Haneda flights will actually happen.
I think it's depending on whether the Olympic is going to take place which I highly doubt. I flew CTS-NRT and it's all Y (07.30 departure).
Old Jan 7, 2021, 6:48 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Hmm interesting suggestions, I'll make sure to consider them! Thanks everybody for your input.

Currently I'm actually leaning on just going for the ZRH-CPH-HND flights on SK or just deal with the Y connections (with the potential options of an upgrade), I haven't been able to fly on SKs A350s yet , but I still have a lot of time to consider everything!
I might just end up buying the tickets with the Y connections... It doesn't have to be C all the time :P I don't suppose adjescent seat blockings for *G is a thing in NH Y?
Old Jan 7, 2021, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nacho
I think it's depending on whether the Olympic is going to take place which I highly doubt. I flew CTS-NRT and it's all Y (07.30 departure).
Domestic flights to Narita often don't get much love from JANA, it is pretty low yield as it is only connections. Though at times you can get lucky with long haul configured planes being used when they anyway would have down time.
nacho likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2021, 8:42 am

Hi everyone, wondering if someone can suggest a destination. I have an Amex 2-for-1 voucher, 200k EB miles to burn, and looking to go lie on a beach with my other half for a week in late September when I hope we are all vaccinated and can enjoy travel again. Would be perfect if it took less than 20 hours to get there and/or could reach it with only one connection from ARN. Any ideas appreciated
Old Jan 8, 2021, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't suppose adjescent seat blockings for *G is a thing in NH Y?
Not that we have tried - both flights were full. For long haul Y I was able to get us exit seats at the gate (no idea if *G played a role in that).
Old Jan 8, 2021, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Domestic flights to Narita often don't get much love from JANA, it is pretty low yield as it is only connections. Though at times you can get lucky with long haul configured planes being used when they anyway would have down time.
If SK, LH etc. are flying in to HND, and domestics are also using HND, what's the point of NRT? Freight?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.