Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

The SAS | EuroBonus Forum Kafé

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The SAS | EuroBonus Forum Kafé

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2020, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by JR67
My son works with a mask in a 40 degree environment in Virginia (40c + 95% humidity) - he thinks I am weak too... :-)

After spending the weekend in Berlin I can say that I am far from convinced that masks are the way to go. The first problem is that there is no physical distancing in Berlin - everyone thinks the masks are enough. The second problem is the way people handle masks. For them to be effective, they have to be used professionally. In Germany people use them, then strap them around their arms, then used them again. I can't begin to count the people I saw with their noses protruding above the masks.

My take home from my Germany trip (confirmed by my wife with a PhD in virology) is that masks are more dangerous than no masks, with the exception of medical professionals who know how to use them. They give a false sense of security, and actually expose people to more danger due to transmission when the masks are removed and put on again. I am now more inclined to agree with Tegnell.

On the bright side - no ID checks at all on the Rostock-Gedser ferry. Apparently Danes think Syrians are more frightening than Covid...
Oh I remember the super hot summer in DMV area!

My impression in Hamburg was a bit different - I did see people walking with a mask even outdoors and people do keep their distance - someone even bounced away from me because I'm not white. This is the most ridiculous thing happened: Mr. saw someone took off his mask and cough and put it back on!

Berlin did have a anti-mask protest and I guess the mentality of people there is a bit different than other parts of Germany.

It's not possible to stop Covid coming into DK but it's possible to stop Syrians from coming into DK
JR67 likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by WindowSeatFlyer
Try wearing a face mask in southern US, where it's 35 degrees and the dew point is in the "oppressive" range.
I do that every day in Tokyo, I have zero issues with that
Old Aug 10, 2020, 7:31 am

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by nacho
My impression in Hamburg was a bit different - I did see people walking with a mask even outdoors and people do keep their distance - someone even bounced away from me because I'm not white. This is the most ridiculous thing happened: Mr. saw someone took off his mask and cough and put it back on!
I have colleagues in Hamburg, including at least one Chinese person. I'll try to ask them their opinions of how it works.
nacho likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by JR67
My take home from my Germany trip (confirmed by my wife with a PhD in virology) is that masks are more dangerous than no masks, with the exception of medical professionals who know how to use them. They give a false sense of security, and actually expose people to more danger due to transmission when the masks are removed and put on again. I am now more inclined to agree with Tegnell.
The moderators in the Coronavirus & Travel forum have asked people to stop debating masks. It's apparently settled science that they work. I mean, I know they are a politically charged topic and there is an election coming up but still...
JR67 likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 7:44 am

Programs: SK*G (EBD)
Originally Posted by Fredrik74
The moderators in the Coronavirus & Travel forum have asked people to stop debating masks. It's apparently settled science that they work. I mean, I know they are a politically charged topic and there is an election coming up but still...
Yes. It is settled science that they work. The way they are used is not settled. But I guess that FlyerTalk knows more than professionals, so I will let everyone decide for themselves.
Fredrik74 likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
I have colleagues in Hamburg, including at least one Chinese person. I'll try to ask them their opinions of how it works.
It would be nice to hear from local's point of view! The only uncomfortable encounter was outside Altona station where a crazy guy shouted "why on earth do you crazy people use masks outside" (Mr. told me that as I had no idea what he said).

The head of Region Skane Carl Johan Sonesson is thinking about introducing masks in Skanetrafiken and enforce the 2 hours radius travel restrictions for people in Skane.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 3:36 am

Originally Posted by nacho
It would be nice to hear from local's point of view! The only uncomfortable encounter was outside Altona station where a crazy guy shouted "why on earth do you crazy people use masks outside" (Mr. told me that as I had no idea what he said).

The colleagues complained about wearing masks in the heat. It seemed like they agreed that most people see the need and don't complain too much. They laughed at the protests in Berlin. The Chinese colleague didn't mention anything about any particular attention either.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 4:34 am

It seemed like they agreed that most people see the need and don't complain too much.
Well... they are German. We live by the "Do as you are told" principle. But I will stop here before it goes OMNI when looking at historical references what could possible go wrong by blindly following the "leadership"
nacho likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 2:08 pm
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Oh no, not again...
Old Aug 14, 2020, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by Nick Art
Oh no, not again...
?
Old Aug 14, 2020, 6:01 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by fassy
?
I see the posts that were about to start the mask discussion again have now vanished. That's what my comment was about.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
I see the posts that were about to start the mask discussion again have now vanished. That's what my comment was about.
They were moved to the thread about Covid-19 in Sweden. So not entirely disappeared.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 6:57 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
They were moved to the thread about Covid-19 in Sweden. So not entirely disappeared.
I was just tired of seeing the Mask and Covid-19 Response discussion being brought up everywhere again. I'm surprised that so far in the pandemic some people are still unconvinced by its gravity.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was just tired of seeing the Mask and Covid-19 Response discussion being brought up everywhere again. I'm surprised that so far in the pandemic some people are still unconvinced by its gravity.
Yeah, we should try to keep it in the more appropriate threads.
Old Aug 20, 2020, 11:23 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by Bjornstrom
Haha, that would be fun and so difficult to explain to my girlfriend
Post #4 back in ancient 2006, now completely out of context, but I felt inspired by the use of "my girlfriend”.

The term partner, I have noticed, is often used across the fora here at FT. Usually unmarried partner. I don’t think I have ever heard anyone say married partner. Maybe because there’s a word for that, which is spouse, or more specifically husband or wife. And for unmarried straight couples, I don’t recall much use outside of boyfriend and girlfriend.

And yet in today’s younger generation, accustomed to a higher degree of keeping personal finances separate and marrying later in life, it appears that the one word that is most quickly redefining the way we talk about relationships is partner. Gender-neutral is likely central to this, and equality for women and minorities. Not that equal means being alike.

Danish authorities use kćreste as one of a few key terms in the context of who’s allowed into the country during these pandemic times. Sweetheart. Someone you go steady with. The term partner is not used in Danish by them, probably because it has a business ring to it. Rather fast samlever, one you live with.

Rejser ind i Danmark, For personer med bopćl i karantćnelande
https://politi.dk/coronavirus-i-danm...arantaenelande

And here’s what the Police says in English for Danes living in a banned country, restricting the partnership as a term to same household.

"You can enter Denmark if you are the spouse, live-in partner, fiancé, sweetheart, parent, stepparent, sibling, stepsibling, grandparent, stepgrandparent, child, stepchild, grandchild or stepgrandchild of a Danish national resident abroad and otherwise have a legal right to enter Denmark. You must enter Denmark together with your Danish family member.”

Entry into Denmark, Persons resident in banned countries
https://politi.dk/en/coronavirus-in-...nned-countries

"A live-in partner is someone who lives in the same house as the person they are having a sexual relationship with, but is not married to them. She shared the apartment with her live-in partner.”

Collins Dictionary
https://www.collinsdictionary.com/us...nglish/live-in

In English, here’s what Timatic says for Denmark, seemingly defining the relationship between you and your partner as unmarried.

“Passengers are not allowed to enter. This does not apply to: ...
- spouses, partners, parents or children of nationals of Denmark not residing in Denmark. They must travel together; ...
- boyfriends, girlfriends, finances, sisters, brothers or grandparents of nationals of Denmark not residing in Denmark. They must travel together;"

COVID-19 Travel Regulations Map* (powered by Timatic)
https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/world.php

Does (or should) FT have a wiki clarifying the term partner?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.