Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

The SAS | EuroBonus Forum Kafé

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The SAS | EuroBonus Forum Kafé

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2016, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by fassy
The LH group NEK seats do recline. And to be honest, I'm not sure why everybody hates them that much? I find them to be quite okay and even better than some of the real old worn out SK seats. I find it quite nice that they are so thin and flexible, I use it as a cheap man's swinging chair at 35.000 feet

Sure, a little bit more room for the knees would be nice but since I'm not a giant (just 1,75m) I do not have a problem.
Oh yes now I remember - if someone around 100kg sitting in front of you, the seat will recline automatically. The NEK was claustrophobic - I'm certainly not big and the guy sitting next to me was not big either, but he took my armrest and about 1/4 of his body was on my seat. I guess that guy will find those seats ok but if 2 of those guys sitting next to each other then I think they won't think it's ok anymore.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by nacho
Oh yes now I remember - if someone around 100kg sitting in front of you, the seat will recline automatically. The NEK was claustrophobic - I'm certainly not big and the guy sitting next to me was not big either, but he took my armrest and about 1/4 of his body was on my seat. I guess that guy will find those seats ok but if 2 of those guys sitting next to each other then I think they won't think it's ok anymore.
The width of the NEK seat is no different than any others, so if your neighbour is spilling over in to your seat, it would happen in any other Y configuration as well. (even more so on a 10 abreast 777 but that is a different story)

Sometimes the spilling over is not caused by actual size, but just lack of consideration. Like reading a broadsheet newspaper the same way as in the living room at home, or sitting at a slant...
Old Aug 19, 2016, 11:12 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
The minimum bid for CHP - Shanghai was 115 €.
I bid but cancelled later as my son wasn't interested in an upgrade....
He has just left this evening for Hong Kong via Shanghai and he'll be gone for 11 months.
I hope he'll come back for a visit or I'll have to consider a long-haul flight which I hate.
On the other hand it would help me very much in my quest for re-qualifying for Gold....
Old Aug 20, 2016, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by helosc
The minimum bid for CHP - Shanghai was 115 €.
I bid but cancelled later as my son wasn't interested in an upgrade....
He has just left this evening for Hong Kong via Shanghai and he'll be gone for 11 months.
I hope he'll come back for a visit or I'll have to consider a long-haul flight which I hate.
On the other hand it would help me very much in my quest for re-qualifying for Gold....
Hong Kong is a great place to live for young people, a lot of life and he will have a great time there. 11 months is not long, and he might find his other half there

I met Mr. when he was an exchange student at my university in the UK - my parents expect me to return to Hong Kong after my degree.....nope, I moved to Denmark after my graduation to be with him and married him and live happily thereafter

This would definitely helps you to become lifetime EBD!
Old Aug 20, 2016, 7:25 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
Yes, I'm sure Hong Kong is a very interesting city for young people and he has been looking forward to going there very much.
He is in particular looking forward to gorging on the food.
11 months is not too long - we just had an 'empty nest' moment at home last night....
He has arrived, unfortunately his luggage hasn't - it decided to have a layover in Shanghai.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 7:57 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Anyone here happen to understand/speak most Faroese?
Old Aug 20, 2016, 9:07 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Anyone here happen to understand/speak most Faroese?
Isn't it very similar to Danish?
Old Aug 20, 2016, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by helosc
Yes, I'm sure Hong Kong is a very interesting city for young people and he has been looking forward to going there very much.
He is in particular looking forward to gorging on the food.
11 months is not too long - we just had an 'empty nest' moment at home last night....
He has arrived, unfortunately his luggage hasn't - it decided to have a layover in Shanghai.
Food is amazing in Hong Kong, although not cheap anymore (compared to DK is cheap) - when I was a secondary school student, I can go out to eat lunch, and from my school I have access to Cantonese, Shanghai, Vietnamese, Thai, pizza, japanese, Fastfood, western......

My kids don't have the privileges as they are going to school in Sweden - and they have to put up with the awful school food (they are going to a private school that the school is trying to make very experimental food and I tried it and I had to hold my breath to eat it). I'm trying to teach them Cantonese at home and maybe they can live in Hong Kong when they grow up.

Right now I want them to grow up and get out of my live - especially after I missed SK's offer to DC for 2300 SEK per ticket - right after thanksgiving
Old Aug 20, 2016, 4:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
Isn't it very similar to Danish?
I was told to expect that Faroese is more similar to Icelandic than Danish, but that Faroese is rather different even from Icelandic despite both being Scandinavian languages too. But the Swedes and Danes and Norwegians I know have a very tough time understanding a bunch of Icelandic. John Kerry should know a few more words of Icelandic by the next sunrise although he seems to know no Faroese.

And let's just say the few Danes, Norwegians and Swedes I have asked know more Americans than Faroese people, so they couldn't tell me.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 20, 2016 at 4:29 pm
Old Aug 20, 2016, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was told to expect that Faroese is more similar to Icelandic than Danish, but that Faroese is rather different even from Icelandic despite both being Scandinavian languages too. But the Swedes and Danes and Norwegians I know have a very tough time understanding a bunch of Icelandic. John Kerry should know a few more words of Icelandic by the next sunrise although he seems to know no Faroese.

And let's just say the few Danes, Norwegians and Swedes I have asked know more Americans than Faroese people, so they couldn't tell me.
Icelandic and Faroese can understand each other, you can hear them arguing about sheep vs reindeer herding in Danish dormitory. I asked my tour guide while I was on a local tour in Iceland about Icelandic and Faroese and he said they can talk to each other and understand each other, I gues it's like Swedish and Danish.

Both Icelandic and Faroese can kind of speak Danish as it's their second language. I was told that Icelandic is ancient Danish that Danes spoke about 1000 years ago. It's true because you can see Jelling stone and some other Viking ruin had those old words on it.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 2:44 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
West Scandinavian vs. East Scandinavian

Originally Posted by nacho
Icelandic and Faroese can understand each other, you can hear them arguing about sheep vs reindeer herding in Danish dormitory. I asked my tour guide while I was on a local tour in Iceland about Icelandic and Faroese and he said they can talk to each other and understand each other, I gues it's like Swedish and Danish.

Both Icelandic and Faroese can kind of speak Danish as it's their second language. I was told that Icelandic is ancient Danish that Danes spoke about 1000 years ago. It's true because you can see Jelling stone and some other Viking ruin had those old words on it.
Faroese and Icelandic are more closely related to each other than to Swedish, Danish (and to a lesser extent) Norwegian.

Faroese and Icelandic (as well as the extinct Norn of the Shetlands and Orkneys) are West Scandinavian langauges. Danish and Swedish are East Scandinavian langauges. Norwegian historically was a West Scandinavian langauge, but influences from Swedish and (especially) Danish makes modern Norwegian more a East Scandinavian langauge. Spoken Norwegian, especially in Western Norway has much of the same sound as Icelandic (e.g. more diphthongs).

I remember from my military basic training, that one of the other recruits was a guy from Nordfjord who studied in Iceland. Early in the morning, before everyone was properly awake he liked to speak to people in Icelandic, which sounded just as his native dialect, but was completely incomprehensible.

Last edited by ksu; Aug 21, 2016 at 6:54 am Reason: Spelling
Old Aug 21, 2016, 3:38 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
I have a hard time with people calling Swedish and Danish similar languages or that two people who speak both can communicate with each other. I don't find that to be the reality today, perhaps with older generations but at least folks from Stockholm and specifically younger ones really struggle with spoken Danish. To the extend that most meetings between Swedish and Danish businesses is typically done in English today, at least in my experience.

There is a considerably smaller gap between spoken Swedish and Norwegian than there is between spoken Swedish and Danish. Folks from the rural southern parts of Sweden will be having an easier time with Danish because the dialect is closer.

Written the languages are very similar but it is amazing how some countries/regions have developed dialects that butcher the languages into barbarian grunting.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 6:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ksu
Faroese and Icelandic are more closely related to each other than to Swedish, Danish (and to a lesser extent) Norwegian.

Faroese and Icelandic (as well as the extinct Norn of the Shetlands and Orkneys)are West Scandinavian langauges. Danish and Swedish are East Scandinavian langauges. Norwegian historically was a West Scandinavian langauge, but influences from Swedish and (especially Danish) makes modern Norwegian more a East Scandinavian langauge. Spoken Norwegian, especially in Wester Norway has much of the same sound as Icelandic (e.g. more diphthongs).

I remember from my military basic training, that one of the other recruits was a guy from Nordfjord who studied in Iceland. Early in the morning, before everyone was awake he liked to speak to people in Icelandic, which sounded just as his native dialect, but was completely incomprehensible.
I reached out to a Faroese contact and was told that Icelandic people asked to share accounts of what they were told in Faroese make such major mistakes that they do business together in English because it doesn't work like it does when the Danish-speaking Faroese speak Danish to communicate with Swedes or Norwegians. Amusingly, some of the Swedes I know have trouble with even Danish numbers and claim they don't understand that much spoken Danish despite their closest airport being in Denmark.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 6:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
Folks from the rural southern parts of Sweden will be having an easier time with Danish because the dialect is closer.
That is not my experience. The younger Skanska dialect types seem to struggle with Danish in a way their parents or grandparents didn't. The exception are those who work/study in or have family/friends from Denmark. It's the Stockholm and Gothenburg Swedes who seem to publicly take less issue with understanding Danish, when sort of controlling for prior exposure to Danish in their social life.

I think part of the issue is that even as the bridge has closed the gap between the countries, media consumption has become more Swedish+English when several decades ago it was more Swedish+Danish than it is now.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
I reached out to a Faroese contact and was told that Icelandic people asked to share accounts of what they were told in Faroese make such major mistakes that they do business together in English because it doesn't work like it does when the Danish-speaking Faroese speak Danish to communicate with Swedes or Norwegians. Amusingly, some of the Swedes I know have trouble with even Danish numbers and claim they don't understand that much spoken Danish despite their closest airport being in Denmark.
I often find that Swedes have more difficulty with Danish than vice versa. But it also depends a bit how much they are hearing the opposite language, and where they are from.

The numbers are a funny case, if people interact on a fairly regular basis with Danes I find it weird that they don't get used to the numbers. The logic is different, but then again learning a new language it usually only takes the first lesson or two to get the numbers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.