Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

The SAS | EuroBonus Forum Kafé

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The SAS | EuroBonus Forum Kafé

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2016, 8:23 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I think part of the issue is that even as the bridge has closed the gap between the countries, media consumption has become more Swedish+English when several decades ago it was more Swedish+Danish than it is now.
Absolutely and a logical development as the world gets smaller. Swedes will benefit from having a good grip on the English language considerably more than when their second language would be Danish.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 8:49 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I often find that Swedes have more difficulty with Danish than vice versa. But it also depends a bit how much they are hearing the opposite language, and where they are from.

The numbers are a funny case, if people interact on a fairly regular basis with Danes I find it weird that they don't get used to the numbers. The logic is different, but then again learning a new language it usually only takes the first lesson or two to get the numbers.
Agree that the Swedes have more of a problem.

However, with German and now Danish comprension, I can read Swedish pretty well to understand it - although understanding spoken Swedish would be more of a problem. However, I haven't had much exposure to Swedish, and our Swedish clients speak English with us - especially when we try to speak in Danish!

Well - numbering in Danish is a bit off-putting, especially if you use logical languages such as German and English as your languages for numbering...halvtreds, for instance!

Originally Posted by nacho
Icelandic and Faroese can understand each other, you can hear them arguing about sheep vs reindeer herding in Danish dormitory. I asked my tour guide while I was on a local tour in Iceland about Icelandic and Faroese and he said they can talk to each other and understand each other, I gues it's like Swedish and Danish.

Both Icelandic and Faroese can kind of speak Danish as it's their second language. I was told that Icelandic is ancient Danish that Danes spoke about 1000 years ago. It's true because you can see Jelling stone and some other Viking ruin had those old words on it.
Exactly - at least I know from my few interactions with Icelanders that this is the case - their language is based on old Danish - probably more "pure" I would gather - given that Denmark has been much more exposed to Europeans and other influences over time... (Geographically overrun, basically - in comparison to insular Iceland)

Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
I have a hard time with people calling Swedish and Danish similar languages or that two people who speak both can communicate with each other. I don't find that to be the reality today, perhaps with older generations but at least folks from Stockholm and specifically younger ones really struggle with spoken Danish. To the extend that most meetings between Swedish and Danish businesses is typically done in English today, at least in my experience.

There is a considerably smaller gap between spoken Swedish and Norwegian than there is between spoken Swedish and Danish. Folks from the rural southern parts of Sweden will be having an easier time with Danish because the dialect is closer.

Written the languages are very similar but it is amazing how some countries/regions have developed dialects that butcher the languages into barbarian grunting.
Right - spoken Swedish and Norwegian are closer, and a Norwegian lady whom I was speaking to this summer was impressed I could speak Danish and understood what I was saying. However, it's very difficult to understand them without using a substantial amount of thinking/decoding...

That is not my experience. The younger Skanska dialect types seem to struggle with Danish in a way their parents or grandparents didn't. The exception are those who work/study in or have family/friends from Denmark. It's the Stockholm and Gothenburg Swedes who seem to publicly take less issue with understanding Danish, when sort of controlling for prior exposure to Danish in their social life.

I think part of the issue is that even as the bridge has closed the gap between the countries, media consumption has become more Swedish+English when several decades ago it was more Swedish+Danish than it is now.
I think that at present Denmark is more influential in the region than Sweden was - and that is why the Danes would have been able to understand Swedish - especially in northern Jutland. (Also, Danish earnings/their economy have accelerated to match Swedish buying power somewhat - as far as I can tell)

In fact, I have found that the Jysk dialect incorporates Swedish sayings - but now that the younger generation has been exposed to their national Danish due to technology/ease of communication, etc., they now would not have *any* exposure to Swedish unless they work/live in the summer vacation/beach areas where the Swedes might visit. (Or travel/work there and/or live near CPH, which apparently is overrun by Swedes from the north...)

Absolutely and a logical development as the world gets smaller. Swedes will benefit from having a good grip on the English language considerably more than when their second language would be Danish.
I wonder why you would say this - I can understand vaguely based on my comment above, but can you elucidate on this point?

Last edited by SuperFlyBoy; Aug 21, 2016 at 9:03 am
Old Aug 21, 2016, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
That is not my experience. The younger Skanska dialect types seem to struggle with Danish in a way their parents or grandparents didn't. The exception are those who work/study in or have family/friends from Denmark. It's the Stockholm and Gothenburg Swedes who seem to publicly take less issue with understanding Danish, when sort of controlling for prior exposure to Danish in their social life.

I had more trouble understand Skanska than Rik Svenska when I first moved to Sweden. Mr. is native Danish and he said he found Skanska a lot easier to understand than proper Swedish. Now I'm getting use to the dialect (although I found it very ugly), it's a bit easier to understand than Stockholm accent.

I often find that Swedes have more difficulty with Danish than vice versa. But it also depends a bit how much they are hearing the opposite language, and where they are from.

The numbers are a funny case, if people interact on a fairly regular basis with Danes I find it weird that they don't get used to the numbers. The logic is different, but then again learning a new language it usually only takes the first lesson or two to get the numbers.
My MIL can't understand Swedish/Norwegian (she lives in Southern Denmark), although she did go to Swedish class (second language) when she was going to school. My in laws feel that they don't have anything in common with the Swedes and Norwegians - they looked as if they freak out when they were approached by Swedes/Norwegians.

Danish numbers is like German numbers - which is difficult if you are not used to the system - unit comes before the tens. However the halvtreds and halvfems are just unique.

Of course, why on earth should anyone learn another Scandinavian language?

When Mr. has meeting with fellow Scandinavians, they will only switch to English if there are Finns present - otherwise they will use their own language and they seem to be able to understand each other.

Mr. did use some Swedish textbook for university courses - he said it took longer to read but no problem in understand it and to pass an exam.

So if Swedish belong to Eastern Scandinavian language, what about Finnish? Also what about the language the people from Lapland uses? Scandinavian?
Old Aug 21, 2016, 11:38 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Finnish is not a Scandinavian language. It's in the Finno-Ugric group and was more closely related to Estonian and even Hungarian (and some may jokingly say even Japanese) than it is to Swedish.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Finnish is not a Scandinavian language. It's in the Finno-Ugric group and was more closely related to Estonian and even Hungarian (and some may jokingly say even Japanese) than it is to Swedish.
Maybe that's why my Finnish friend can speak fluent Japanese! (Okay, he did spend time in Japan, but...)

Originally Posted by nacho
I had more trouble understand Skanska than Rik Svenska when I first moved to Sweden. Mr. is native Danish and he said he found Skanska a lot easier to understand than proper Swedish.
Isn't that the region (Skĺne) closest to Sjćlland? That's probably why.

Here's an interesting post: http://blogs.transparent.com/swedish...t-about-skane/

Are they Danes at heart??
Old Aug 21, 2016, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
The relationship between Finnish and Japanese must be in very theoretic linguistics. Or highly jokingly...
Old Aug 21, 2016, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Yes I know that - Estonian and Finns can talk to each other and they can understand each other's language. There's a debate about whether Finland is Scandinavia - is Finland part of Scandinavia?

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
Are they Danes at heart??
I think so. If they have a referendum now to whether stay in Sweden or be part of Denmark, I think I know the outcome.

Skane has been under Danish rule for a long time, and for people in Skane, Copenhagen is a lot closer than Stockholm. With the Swedish government's crazy policy of checking ID between Swedish and Danish border and the other side of the oresund is more prosperous I think a lot of people here are not exactly happy with the politician in Stockholm.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 3:42 pm
Suspended

The police haven't checked my ID/passport on arrival by train in Sweden on most of my trips this month. The ID checking by train company-retained contractors at CPH? Yes, that continues. Amusingly, a few days ago they asked some passport-presenting American parent if the accompanying English-speaking child was the parent's; they didn't check the child's ID/passport; right thereafter the kid burst out laughing and said: "that's funny, don't they know you're my dad?".

The relationship between Finnish and Japanese must be in very theoretic linguistics. Or highly jokingly...
I used to hang out with a bunch of academic linguistic research types. Became rather useful for me in other contexts.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 21, 2016 at 3:50 pm
Old Aug 22, 2016, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum

I used to hang out with a bunch of academic linguistic research types. Became rather useful for me in other contexts.
I'll have look in to that, speaking Japanese and knowing a bit about the grammatical flows of Finnish I am getting curious about that link. I guess it would lie in rhythm and intonation of the languages.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 1:18 am
Suspended

I'll have look in to that, speaking Japanese and knowing a bit about the grammatical flows of Finnish I am getting curious about that link. I guess it would lie in rhythm and intonation of the languages.
IIRC, it had to do with words referencing nature, perhaps something like that to do with the word for bee.

But others argued that the comparisons were a joke and a result of a fabricated Altaic language grouping.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 22, 2016 at 1:24 am
Old Aug 22, 2016, 2:51 am

Unbelievable... the CPH lounge lunch buffet is again a total disgrace (next to total overcrowding with a zoo a people). Not a single hot choice besides the mushy soup. Not even cup noodles.

And the cold options are as Scandinavian as it gets but remove the fun part... i.E. replace salmon with can tuna and make sure there are absolutely no cold cuts or cheeses available.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 2:55 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
Have you asked for cupnoodles?
They are supposed to be available upon request.
The few times I have asked for them, I got them, no problem.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 2:57 am

Originally Posted by helosc
Have you asked for cupnoodles?
They are supposed to be available upon request.
The few times I have asked for them, I got them, no problem.
I would ask... If any staff would be visible.

EDIT:// Okay, got cup noodle. At least... (just to rant... they replaced the old brand with a new one. Still decent and better than the curry soup.). And interessting enough, it seems most of the Danish people here seem to enjoy the 'frokost'... for me that's not even 'frukost'

Last edited by fassy; Aug 22, 2016 at 3:03 am
Old Aug 22, 2016, 2:59 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
Originally Posted by fassy
I would ask... If any staff would be visible.
Ah yes, that would help.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 3:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by fassy
Unbelievable... the CPH lounge lunch buffet is again a total disgrace (next to total overcrowding with a zoo a people). Not a single hot choice besides the mushy soup. Not even cup noodles.

And the cold options are as Scandinavian as it gets but remove the fun part... i.E. replace salmon with can tuna and make sure there are absolutely no cold cuts or cheeses available.
The food offerings have gotten so poor at the SAS lounge (upstairs and downstairs) in CPH that I increasingly don't even care to stop in the lounge on the way to catching my flights. Even the cookies seem to have been downgraded over what they used to be several years ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.