Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

The SAS | EuroBonus Forum Kafé

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The SAS | EuroBonus Forum Kafé

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2019, 6:49 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
My Stockholm knowledge does not stretch in to that level of detail. But we all know what they really need....

https://youtu.be/taJ4MFCxiuo
Time for a seance to pull out the ouija board to evoke the spirit of Gustav Vasa and others to find out what GV’s descendants built with the help of the Walloons.

Time to sink money into a ship to sink. Or into the monorail to nowhere.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 20, 2019 at 6:54 pm
Old Jul 21, 2019, 5:36 am

Programs: More than one
Originally Posted by GUWonder
For BMA high-speed train, I say 0% chance it gets started by 2038 and only marginally more chance it gets completed by 2050.
Hope to be around then to see how wrong I can be.
In 2038 I'll hopefully be retired and in 2050 I'll probably be 6 feet under..
Old Jul 21, 2019, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
I am looking forward to an underwater tunnel or two connecting Denmark and Sweden for public transit purposes at least. Sort of expanding the Copenhagen Metro into Malmo, for one, would be very cool. Long-deceased irredentists would maybe finally get their way.
It's more the Swedes who want it than the Danes - I see that on Swedish news roughly once every couple of months. With the border control continues I don't think this is going to happen - checking passport at metro stations? I also saw news talking about a tunnel to go from Helsingoer to Helsingborg.

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The most modern versions of the Shinkansen has an acceleration capability of 2.6 kmph per second, which means it will need about 116 seconds to reach top speed. It will have moved a good deal more than 1km in that time. Most types of the shinkansen has an acceleration performance between 1.7 and 2.0.

A normal high speed subway which would do around 80 kmph would suffice fine for a stretch to BMA.
I don't think Scandinavia has the determination to do things like the Japanese - Sweden is struggling with the railways and I know a Spanish guy who was hired to improve the railway between Lund and Malmoe and he said the condition of the railroad is really bad. Maybe it's better up north - no idea. DSB is not much better either, they are talking about buying new train from Italy and it was delayed and delayed and when they got them they were full of issues.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 12:59 pm
Suspended

The passport control at Malmo/Hyllie has been non-existent for days now and that’s not going to be why a major new infrastructure project of this sort will or won’t happen. Of my last seven crossings (spread over three weeks) from CPH to Sweden by rail transport, I’ve not had to show any ID/passport.

I would settle for them just making the existing rail lines more reliable between Malmo and Hassleholm and between Stockholm and Jonkoping and Stockholm and Vasteras/Eskilstuna.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The passport control at Malmo/Hyllie has been non-existent for days now and that’s not going to be why a major new infrastructure project of this sort will or won’t happen. Of my last seven crossings (spread over three weeks) from CPH to Sweden by rail transport, I’ve not had to show any ID/passport.

I would settle for them just making the existing rail lines more reliable between Malmo and Hassleholm and between Stockholm and Jonkoping and Stockholm and Vasteras/Eskilstuna.
I think the new tunnel is just click bait from newspapers, they also wrote about Danish road tax that was mentioned a couple of years ago - as if it's something new.

Yes more reliable rail lines are appreciated - commuters are having a hard time going to and from work.

Crossing the bridge by car is another thing - today I was lucky enough to be in a booth that there wasn't anyone there, but then after I passed someone came and continue checking. My kids went to Tivoli with school in June and they said they were checked at Hyllie - those passport people were so clueless and wanted to see their passports (the school wrote to the authorities beforehand to ask them about the requirements and their reply was that if they have Swedish personal number they can travel without passport) - which once again showed weakness of the system, I doubt that they were going to check 100 personal numbers.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 2:13 pm
Suspended

When coming by rail across the Oresund, passport control almost never seem to check pre-teens for ID in my experience if they are with any accompanying adult with ID/passport/travel docs as prima facie evidence of admissibility for the accompanying adult. They don’t ask for any pre-teens personal numbers in my experience unless the accompanying adult lacks ID and doesn’t seem to have any prior substantial connection with Sweden.

When I travel across the bridge by rail with any of my Swedish relatives’ or American relatives’ children by myself, I show my US passport but don’t show anything for the kids if passport control is taking place — more times than not this month, it’s not taking place, but I’m also talking about it from earlier this year and some years going back to 2015.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
Despite all its incompetence and inability to drive economic growth, I sure hope the Swedish government acknowledges the value of having an airport inside the city and not one 40KM north of it (being considerably further away for those living south of Stockholm).

What Bromma needs is a high speed train connection to Stockholm Central, more international service and less turboprops. With little effort it could easily be the LCY of Stockholm and be a tremendous asset to Stockholm's relatively poor connectivity and general subpar infrastructure.
ARN is 20 minutes from the city on the Arlanda Express. As much as I enjoy the idea of city airports or their proximity (which in BMA's case is limited) LCY is itself an aberration and not especially useful as an example. BMA can sink or swim on its own merits.

"poor connectivity and subpar infrastructure". You sir, have never been to America perhaps? Wake me if MWAA ever finishes the slow Metro line to Dulles.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 5:04 am

Programs: EBG4Life, EBD, 1MM

More like weeks now. They might still be making random checks every now and then, but the regular passport checks stopped quite some time ago. To be honest, they could have stopped much longer ago as the whole process was a waste of time. The few people that were pulled off were usually back on before the train left.

Originally Posted by nacho
...I know a Spanish guy who was hired to improve the railway between Lund and Malmoe and he said the condition of the railroad is really bad. Maybe it's better up north - no idea. DSB is not much better either, they are talking about buying new train from Italy and it was delayed and delayed and when they got them they were full of issues.
Your Spanish friend is spot on. They look to be rebuilding this section now after years of problems. I have gotten stranded in this section twice this year and there have been replacement buses due to maintenance quite regularly. The entire rail system is Skĺne has been a mess for some time. Most people at the office take a taxi to Hylie and then the train to CPH to avoid delays.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 7:05 am
Suspended

To go by Skanetrafiken buses from anywhere in Skane to Hyllie seems to be a more reliably predictable means of transport than taking the train from anywhere in Sweden to Hyllie. It’s a pretty sad state of affairs when you’re at Malmo C or Lund C and decide the regular Skanetrafiken buses are a better way to get between rail stations than gambling on the trains to get you around Skane.

Originally Posted by Fredrik74
The poster has a very long history of complaining about life in Sweden. One wonders why the poster stays but of course the homeland suffers from the same issues...
“The squeaky wheel gets the grease.” Without the squeaking and complaining, lots of problems get cumulatively worse and don’t get addressed adequately until the problems are so bad that the fixes are more costly than they needed to be. I prefer to know the problems and hear complaints about them rather than to just assume that because it’s no better somewhere else that there is no problem whatsoever. If the wheel works well and doesn’t squeak, then there is no use in complaining about it. But the notion that Swedish rail infrastructure is something that is beyond improvement is one that should be alien to anyone who has used the rail system a lot in Sweden year round and tried to count on it being reliable. My last planned Swedish rail journey that should have taken me 60 minutes ended up taking me nearly 180 minutes because they had to put us on buses. It was enough to touch the patience of some passengers, so much so that the 30ish year old guy sitting next to me went into an awful rant in Swedish against the woman and U2 toddler behind me and then he switched to English (and made his language even worse) when the visiting German-speaking woman told him in English she was sorry but she couldn’t understand him/Swedish. The child’s “crime” was to listen to an iPhone and sing in a way that was quieter than the loud music I could hear from the guy’s over the ear headset the entire time. If this kind of ranting against such passengers had happened in the US, I guarantee you the guy would have had a bunch of guys in his face telling him to calm down and not confront any woman and young child that way ever. The ranting guy oblivious to his own obnoxiousness should have stayed at home and not taken out his frustration on others for him having to suffer the bus replacements.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 22, 2019 at 7:43 am
Old Jul 22, 2019, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

“The squeaky wheel gets the grease.” Without the squeaking and complaining, lots of problems get cumulatively worse and don’t get addressed adequately until the problems are so bad that the fixes are more costly than they needed to be. I prefer to know the problems and hear complaints about them rather than to just assume that because it’s no better somewhere else that there is no problem whatsoever. If the wheel works well and doesn’t squeak, then there is no use in complaining about it.
I think any comment on how to improve things to an organization (school, company etc.) are seen as complaints/criticism in Sweden. My impression is that things run in a particular way as you need to accept whatever it is - even if it's something you are paying millions for - such as a newly built house. We tried to buy a villa in a project and at first the company said we can customize our house but it turned out that we could do it in an extremely limited extent - we can't even put a wall hanging toilet in our bathroom (I'm talking about paying extra to do it).

Same things with the schools - they suddenly found out that they lost 7M SEK per year for the last 7 years and all of a sudden they fired 20% of the teachers and reducing teaching hours down to 18 hours per week. Can we do anything? No. Basically we can choose to suck it up or leave.Are parents upset? Not many - I think I know max. 10 parents are upset and wanted to do something about it. Some angry parents started commenting on the school's facebook page and our comments got shot down because it's too "negative". During the information meeting about the cuts, almost all parents were listening with their mouths shut. 18 hours school per week for kids that are up to 15 years old?! We are talking about a fee paying international school.

Back to the topic, I think Arlanda is far away but not extreme - the Arlanda express is great (except for the price) and brings you into the city just in 20 minutes. NRT/JFK even LHR is far away from the city centre. BMA should turn into a housing project as there's a desperate need for housing in Stockholm.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 10:08 am

To go by Skanetrafiken buses from anywhere in Skane to Hyllie seems to be a more reliably predictable means of transport than taking the train from anywhere in Sweden to Hyllie. It’s a pretty sad state of affairs when you’re at Malmo C or Lund C and decide the regular Skanetrafiken buses are a better way to get between rail stations than gambling on the trains to get you around Skane.

“The squeaky wheel gets the grease.” Without the squeaking and complaining, lots of problems get cumulatively worse and don’t get addressed adequately until the problems are so bad that the fixes are more costly than they needed to be. I prefer to know the problems and hear complaints about them rather than to just assume that because it’s no better somewhere else that there is no problem whatsoever. If the wheel works well and doesn’t squeak, then there is no use in complaining about it. But the notion that Swedish rail infrastructure is something that is beyond improvement is one that should be alien to anyone who has used the rail system a lot in Sweden year round and tried to count on it being reliable. My last planned Swedish rail journey that should have taken me 60 minutes ended up taking me nearly 180 minutes because they had to put us on buses. It was enough to touch the patience of some passengers, so much so that the 30ish year old guy sitting next to me went into an awful rant in Swedish against the woman and U2 toddler behind me and then he switched to English (and made his language even worse) when the visiting German-speaking woman told him in English she was sorry but she couldn’t understand him/Swedish. The child’s “crime” was to listen to an iPhone and sing in a way that was quieter than the loud music I could hear from the guy’s over the ear headset the entire time. If this kind of ranting against such passengers had happened in the US, I guarantee you the guy would have had a bunch of guys in his face telling him to calm down and not confront any woman and young child that way ever. The ranting guy oblivious to his own obnoxiousness should have stayed at home and not taken out his frustration on others for him having to suffer the bus replacements.
I seriously doubt anyone would go out of their way to confront him in the US, he might have a gun. You appear to have done absolutely nothing so... Children and their irritating games at full volume is trying for everyone.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by copperred
I can assure you the US doesn't need another whiner whose mouth/keyboard writes checks his corpulent self cannot cash. We have far too many already and they've become emboldened of late.
Can you guess his weight from his posts? While I love the term corpulent, I can only wonder where that assumption came from Perhaps he is only rotund...or perfectly fit

As a North American poster on the SAS forum, I can fully understand the comments FlyingMoose is making. One just has to live long enough here to give up with the silliness. Is it any better than the US, nope. Does it always make sense in Sweden, nope. Some of us just tend to complain more about what we see on a daily basis

Last edited by livious; Jul 22, 2019 at 10:36 am
Old Jul 22, 2019, 10:36 am

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by livious
As a North American poster on the SAS forum, I can fully understand the comments FlyingMoose is making. One just has to live long enough here to give up with the silliness. Is it any better than the US, nope. Does it always make sense in Sweden, nope. Some of us just tend to complain more about what we see on a daily basis
I've lived abroad too. Complaints about how the locals do things are quite common everywhere.

Btw, the number one complaint I hear from foreigners is that there are too many foreigners around.

And it's quite silly to both complain about planned maintenance and lack of maintenance.
copperred likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 10:58 am

Complaining is only human, so I am completely okay with it. We don't really improve without it.

As for the planned maintenance, one can question the duration for how long it takes. Things can tend to draw on in Sweden, regardless if it is critical transport means or not. For me, it is often the lack of alternatives that is frustrating.

Then again, it is better than having perpetual maintenance on non-critical routes that never seems to end. Either way, we get to complain
Old Jul 22, 2019, 11:37 am

Programs: More than one
If the wheel works well and doesn’t squeak, then there is no use in complaining about it.
Yeah, but many people complains anyway

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.