Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

The SAS | EuroBonus Forum Kafé

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The SAS | EuroBonus Forum Kafé

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2018, 6:45 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
Originally Posted by GUWonder
The Skane public transit reliability has been sort of like a roller coaster for me. 20 years ago I found it to vary, then it improved, then it declined but then it improved a bit. But in the past couple of years I’ve been hit by too many signal failures, train delays and cancellations, so I’m now having to budget for a delay of an hour to go from A to B using Skanetrafiken trains/Oresundstag on my flights into/out of CPH or eating the cost for a taxi to get where I need to go to make a boarding cut-off. For commuters, it’s worse now than it was three years ago. I say that as someone who is in the region at least a few times each month for most months of the year. Most tourists won’t notice this stuff most times, but commuters like myself do notice it.
My experience from CPH is based on weekly visits (not tourism). I surely had experienced cancellation but the frequency and redundancy of the transportation system in Copenhagen has always left me with an alternative. And that is mostly without using taxis. Mildly speaking, I'm not a great fan, of the, IMHO, overly-regulated taxi system in Copenhagen. I actually find the public transport more reliable than taxis there.

I do realize that the bridge traffic is a culprit to a large extent, although in my understanding this is just as much, or even more, a political problem rather than technical. It is largely caused by the way Sweden decided to cope with the migrant crisis. I am also glad that I don't have to commute over the bridge, as some others stated here. I am a bit more surprised by the fact that there was quite some critique of Skaane transportation system in general, not just the bridge.
AStarr likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 7:42 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by SK2751
My experience from CPH is based on weekly visits (not tourism). I surely had experienced cancellation but the frequency and redundancy of the transportation system in Copenhagen has always left me with an alternative. And that is mostly without using taxis. Mildly speaking, I'm not a great fan, of the, IMHO, overly-regulated taxi system in Copenhagen. I actually find the public transport more reliable than taxis there.

I do realize that the bridge traffic is a culprit to a large extent, although in my understanding this is just as much, or even more, a political problem rather than technical. It is largely caused by the way Sweden decided to cope with the migrant crisis. I am also glad that I don't have to commute over the bridge, as some others stated here. I am a bit more surprised by the fact that there was quite some critique of Skaane transportation system in general, not just the bridge.
The Skane train delays have gotten rather crazy in the past couple of years. Signal faults and maintenance work have resulted in lots of train delays and cancellations even on just the Hyllie to Lund and Lund to Hassleholm sections, and if any one part of that section goes down, it’s been a mess for even getting from Malmo C to Hyllie. And a lot of this mess has zero to do with the ridiculous passport control related mess to come from Denmark into Sweden by bridge/ferry.

Skanetrafiken bus travel has improved for the most part, but rail traffic is worse than it used to be in say at this time of year in 2015. Where the bus travel has become worse, it’s usually not a technical fault. Where rail travel has become worse, it’s not really as much due to border control as due to stuff that has technical solutions in Sweden itself.
AStarr likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 12:11 pm

Programs: *G, VS Silver, HH Diamond
It's a perfect storm of so many factors on the Swedish side to be fair. I read about numerous issues with Stockholm as well but I'm not travelling through there to know.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by GUWonder

Those free tickets for kids are only for kids registered in Skane school classes/courses for certain grade levels (teenagers mainly). Great, more rowdy kids on the trains.

.... and in the meantime, kids in Skane schools who are between 7 and 12 years of age will have to have a paid ticket to travel on these trains and buses.

I expect this policy of free Skane travel for teenagers will increase and distribute petty criminal behavior of sorts across the region, but let’s wait for the numbers to come in. I already anticipate there being way more trouble for the elderly and people with strollers being able to get seats on the buses and trains due to these free student tickets. I also expect a rise in thefts such as house break-ins due to this.
It's already an "improvement" that there's child fare for kids between 7-12. When my friend moved here 2 years ago she had to use the bus or by bike to send her kids to school. She used to pay full fare for the children because the rule was any person over 7 pay full price.

The free tickets is for whole Sweden, each "lan" will send out tickets to all kids that qualified, so there might be a lot of youngster hanging around stations everywhere in Sweden. I don't believe you will find the actual numbers of crime caused by this because the authorities here are good at hiding what they want to hide.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 11:58 pm

Tried to book my first-ever flight with SAS and it wouldn't let me pay! The only choice was "Wallet" with AliPay and UnionPay, as the "Pay Now" button was greyed out with the credit card option. Managed to book it (prices kept changing so wanted to lock it in) by calling SAS Customer Service, and holding for 15 minutes. And now I find out I'll have to call back before the flight to book meal options. I'm not holding out much hope for online/mobile check-in.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by DragonSoul
Tried to book my first-ever flight with SAS and it wouldn't let me pay! The only choice was "Wallet" with AliPay and UnionPay, as the "Pay Now" button was greyed out with the credit card option. Managed to book it (prices kept changing so wanted to lock it in) by calling SAS Customer Service, and holding for 15 minutes. And now I find out I'll have to call back before the flight to book meal options. I'm not holding out much hope for online/mobile check-in.
Generally mobile and online check in world's well on SK.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 2:52 am

Programs: EBD, Avis Presidents Club, HH Gold
Just took a flight from Visby to CPH. Was flying SAS but they used Flybe and then SAS Ireland - curious as to more information on the SAS Ireland. We were delayed a little over two hours from Arlanda to Copenhagen and the pilots gunned it to make sure we made it under the two hours (1 hour 58 minutes delayed). But got me thinking, what was the point of SAS Ireland? SAS being owned by the three governments curious if this was this a tax dodge? Pay less wages 'to compete'? Or is there a good overview from someone, or can point me in the right direction? Probably has already been discussed, but curious to hear it we want to rehash it.

(Excuse the ignorance, not accusing, simply wanting to learn more about the decision/move and hear people's opinions)
Old Jun 26, 2018, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by jerjeffr
Just took a flight from Visby to CPH. Was flying SAS but they used Flybe and then SAS Ireland - curious as to more information on the SAS Ireland. We were delayed a little over two hours from Arlanda to Copenhagen and the pilots gunned it to make sure we made it under the two hours (1 hour 58 minutes delayed). But got me thinking, what was the point of SAS Ireland? SAS being owned by the three governments curious if this was this a tax dodge? Pay less wages 'to compete'? Or is there a good overview from someone, or can point me in the right direction? Probably has already been discussed, but curious to hear it we want to rehash it.

(Excuse the ignorance, not accusing, simply wanting to learn more about the decision/move and hear people's opinions)
Lower operating cost bases. Ireland is up and running, they have been talking about Spain as well, not sure if that has happened, or will happen.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 3:26 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
But got me thinking, what was the point of SAS Ireland? SAS being owned by the three governments curious if this was this a tax dodge? Pay less wages 'to compete'? Or is there a good overview from someone, or can point me in the right direction? Probably has already been discussed, but curious to hear it we want to rehash it.

More here: SAS is considering bases in low cost countries
Old Jun 26, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: *G, VS Silver, HH Diamond
SAS finally changed the US site to the same format as the DK, NO, SE sites... this is somewhat frustrating. But enlightening.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 2:08 pm

Programs: SK-EBD
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
they have been talking about Spain as well, not sure if that has happened, or will happen.
AGP is about to start, AFIAK. If you look at the timetable in/out of AGP after summer, you will see a total new pattern/volumen.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 5:17 am

Thanks for the 'More here' link.
(And thank you CPHFlyer for the response).

Seems in short it's the FA unions that drove them down there to remain competitive in the landscape.
Or... at least that is how they spun it as we all know companies operate out of Ireland to avoid various types of tax (i.e. Apple).

Last edited by jerjeffr; Jun 27, 2018 at 7:41 am
Old Jun 27, 2018, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the 'More here' link.
(And thank you CPHFlyer for the response).

Seems in short it's the FA unions that drove them down there to remain competitive in the landscape.
Or... at least that is how they spun it as we all know companies operate out of Ireland to avoid various types of tax (i.e. Apple).
To avoid taxes, companies would typically put their holding company or HQ in Ireland, in SK's case it is so far a realtively small part of the operations so I would doubt it is a tax based decision.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 3:59 am

Appreciate the response.
My understanding that SAS Ireland was a new holding company?
Is this not the case?

If so, why call it SAS Ireland? They could simply keep it at SAS and operate out of the country with FA and operations being out of there paying those wages.
Wouldn't they (SAS Ireland) be purchasing 'goods and services' from SAS in the long run to reduce costs and tax schemes or vice versa. Just my thoughts... (But again, quite ignorant)
Old Jun 28, 2018, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Appreciate the response.
My understanding that SAS Ireland was a new holding company?
Is this not the case?

If so, why call it SAS Ireland? They could simply keep it at SAS and operate out of the country with FA and operations being out of there paying those wages.
Wouldn't they (SAS Ireland) be purchasing 'goods and services' from SAS in the long run to reduce costs and tax schemes or vice versa. Just my thoughts... (But again, quite ignorant)
It is not a holding company, it is just providing flight operations to the group.

Why not call it SAS Ireland? They founded a new legal entity locayed in Ireland, the naming kind of makes sense. They needed a new AOC and a new company to get outside the scope of the Scandinavian collective agreements, and reduce costs.
jerjeffr likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.