Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

New [Plusgrade] upgrade system and SK ditches OT [2016-2022]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New [Plusgrade] upgrade system and SK ditches OT [2016-2022]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2018, 6:58 pm

Shock, horror!

ExpertFlyer showing zeros across the board and only 2 seats in J possibly unassigned, so I figured no chance. Seems my overbid (by my reckoning) worked and I got upgraded. Checked the bags this morning, but might see whether there is a better seat assignment tonight at the airport. Might get a few hours sleep on this flight! W00T!
Old Nov 20, 2018, 2:09 am

Programs: UA 1k
Yesterday I was on a very empty CPH-SFO flight. The Plusgrade minimum bid seemed to stay at 10,000 SEK which was too much for me (we were 4 traveling and getting upgraded without knowing the seats would be inconvenient).

The flight was really really empty, so I asked at the gate if they were selling upgrades. Yes, for 12,000 DKK (~16.5k SEK) which was still more than twice what I was willing to pay for this flight.

The front cabin was maybe 1/4 full, the mini-cabin completely empty.

Mostly flying on United where they're let's say more careful about not leaving money on the table, it seemed pretty inefficient.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 4:39 am

Programs: UA *G MM
I am booked LAX-ARN next week where the flight seems to be extremely undersold. Business was being offered at $1600 but they removed this (advance purchase?). The minimum bid is SEK 7200. Same for return, which seems to be a lot more busy with only a few Z seats left and lots of seats taken in Plus on the seatmap.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 9:11 am

Programs: EB Silver, Bonvoy Gold
Short feedback about current biddings: IAD-CPH last Monday, booked in plus, minimum bid was 27’000 to business, bided (from wife’s account, who is only basic) 28’500 for two, no luck, asked at the check-in, was told business is full, heard how the agent offered upgrade from eco to plus for 490 USD (!) to a customer next to me.
I just got my upgrade confirmation that we are upgraded for our return from plus to c this Friday, minimum bid was 26’000, bided 27’500 (again wife‘s account). Even though I would have preferred to have the red-eye in c, we look forward to our return in c to the east coast. By the way, experience in plus on IAD-CPH was fawless, great job sas.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by grischtu
...heard how the agent offered upgrade from eco to plus for 490 USD (!) to a customer next to me.
Wow. That is insane - who would pay this amount for an upgrade to PE only? (if it was from PE to C I would consider it, but certainly not from Y to PE)
Old Nov 29, 2018, 12:41 pm

Could not agree more with you SK AAR, never ever would I pay USD 500 for this upgrade!
By the way, our flight to IAD tomorrow got cancelled, we are now rebooked via ORD to IAD but only in plus (and to make things even worse ORD to IAD is in y on ua! and arrives more than 3 hours later in IAD), sas downngraded our accepted c bid :-(
On top, the miles for the upgrade were already deduced from the account and call center was not able to transfer our accepted bid to the reschedulded flight. How shall we proceed, any help is welcome...?
Old Nov 30, 2018, 4:07 am

Programs: SK, A3, QR
Originally Posted by grischtu
Could not agree more with you SK AAR, never ever would I pay USD 500 for this upgrade!
By the way, our flight to IAD tomorrow got cancelled, we are now rebooked via ORD to IAD but only in plus (and to make things even worse ORD to IAD is in y on ua! and arrives more than 3 hours later in IAD), sas downngraded our accepted c bid :-(
On top, the miles for the upgrade were already deduced from the account and call center was not able to transfer our accepted bid to the reschedulded flight. How shall we proceed, any help is welcome...?
That's a bummer with the cancelled flight and rerouting.

If I were you, I'd try to talk to the agents at check-in and ask if there's anything they can do. But I guess people with paid C-tickets for IAD have priority and that's why there's no space.

As it's a daytime flight, I'd just deal with it afterwards through SAS Customer Claims. They'll definitely return the miles to your account and you will also be eligible for EU261 compensation for arriving late and possibly also for a downgrade. That'll sweeten the deal.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 10:13 am

From the SAS FAQ:
Originally Posted by https://www.flysas.com/content/dam/sas/pdfs/fly-with-us/plusgrade-faq-en.pdf
IF MY UPGRADE IS CANCELED BY SAS, WHAT COMPENSATION AM I ENTITLED TO AND WHEN WILL I GET IT?

If your confirmed upgrade is canceled by SAS, you’ll receive a full refund of the amount/EuroBonus points you paid for the upgrade within 7 business days. If you paid by credit card, the amount will be credited to your account, and if you paid using EuroBonus points, they will be credited to your EuroBonus account. In the case of a downgrade, no extra compensation will be paid. Your ticket will be returned to its original status in SAS Go or SAS Plus and you’ll be reseated in SAS Go or SAS Plus based on seating availability at the time. Please note that your original seat may no longer be available.
SAS doesn't voluntary pay downgrade compensation in this case and I do not think EU261 downgrade compensation applies, based on the T&Cs of the Plusgrade upgrade process. But you can try...
Old Nov 30, 2018, 10:47 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
I wonder. In the end it is the service that has been sold and charged. Is this legally different if the service was sold by a bidding process, not in an online system? or does EU261 does not apply to services paid with points?
Old Nov 30, 2018, 1:13 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by SK2751
I wonder. In the end it is the service that has been sold and charged. Is this legally different if the service was sold by a bidding process, not in an online system? or does EU261 does not apply to services paid with points?
Article 10

Upgrading and downgrading

1. If an operating air carrier places a passenger in a class higher than that for which the ticket was purchased, it may not request any supplementary payment.

2. If an operating air carrier places a passenger in a class lower than that for which the ticket was purchased, it shall within seven days, by the means provided for in Article 7(3), reimburse [...]
https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-cont...LEX:32004R0261

As an airline I would says that without any doubt the ticket was bought in Plus (PE) and that is what he got (at least to ORD). I would still ask for a compensation from ORD to IAD since this will be in the back.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 6:50 pm

Dear all, thanks for your inputs; we are back in IAD. Both rebooked flights were at least on time and servive on ARN-ORD in plus was again great. As a side note, I probably never was on such an empty longhaul. There were maybe 5 in business, we were 12 in plus and the complete eco section after plus was empty and even in the last eco section were plenty of open seats!
However, so far I was not successful to get the points back, neither at check-in nor at the service center they were able (willing?) to help. I will call customer service tomorrow. Not to talk about transferring the confirmed upgrade to the new rebooked flights, that was so wide open in business.��
I claimed for compensation due to the fact that CPH-IAD was cancelled and with the rebooked flights we arrived more than 3 hours late in IAD - we will see...
Old Dec 2, 2018, 6:24 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
I just had a strange experience. A few days back (3-4 weeks?) I was bidding on short haul PG upgrades. Perhaps it matters that this was on VIPGO tickets (family&friends). The maximum amount possible to bid was 1000 points. I thought this was some kind of bug (normally the minimum amount is 5000 points). I was actually not sure whether to bid on these tickets initially, as vipgo tickets seem to not be GOLIGHT tickets, so they still had decent earnings without upgrading. But since the cost was so low, and I had really nothing to loose, I decided to go for it and bid the max (1000 points). I assumed that this is a bug and SK would simple not upgrade anybody with this price.

I was quite surprised to see that today I was upgraded for the 1000 points. Since the earning was 625 before upgrade and it should be 1850 now, I actually saved points on this upgrade. Go figure ... Flying on Tuesday and will watch the credit statement with interest.

Anybody else has seen it? Did I miss a promotion or something? I tried to bud for some GOLIGHT short haul flights today, but the min/max price was back to normal (5k points).
Old Dec 2, 2018, 12:33 pm

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
I just had a strange experience. A few days back (3-4 weeks?) I was bidding on short haul PG upgrades. Perhaps it matters that this was on VIPGO tickets (family&friends). The maximum amount possible to bid was 1000 points. I thought this was some kind of bug (normally the minimum amount is 5000 points). I was actually not sure whether to bid on these tickets initially, as vipgo tickets seem to not be GOLIGHT tickets, so they still had decent earnings without upgrading. But since the cost was so low, and I had really nothing to loose, I decided to go for it and bid the max (1000 points). I assumed that this is a bug and SK would simple not upgrade anybody with this price.

I was quite surprised to see that today I was upgraded for the 1000 points. Since the earning was 625 before upgrade and it should be 1850 now, I actually saved points on this upgrade. Go figure ... Flying on Tuesday and will watch the credit statement with interest.

Anybody else has seen it? Did I miss a promotion or something? I tried to bud for some GOLIGHT short haul flights today, but the min/max price was back to normal (5k points).
Several people reported this, it seems like it was a glitch for a few days on short-haul flights.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 2:45 am

Programs: SAS Eurobonus Diamond

Yes, I went for it as well with the 1000 point bid, and it went through for 2 out of 2 flights so far. Have one more flight with such a bid in the beginning of January.
It was definitely very good value for the upgrade.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 3:16 am

Programs: UA *G MM
I did LAX-ARN return and upgraded Plus to Business on both legs at the minimum of SEK 7200. I actually bid something like 7230 just to be ahead of another minimum bid.

The outbound seemed wide open in Y and C, but the business cabin only had one seat empty, I think, when we departed.

On the return it was down to C3 when I made my bid maybe 60 hours out. (I only did it because it looked like Y was filling up and I would get someone next to me in the 3 seater middle section!) When I cleared at the window there were only 2 seats available......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.