Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Collective agreement for the pilots being negotiated

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Collective agreement for the pilots being negotiated

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2022, 4:25 am

Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
CGI as in computer generated imagery, think at the most advanced level.
Oh, really...? That is exciting!
Old Jul 20, 2022, 6:46 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I remember when FR called MMX Copenhagen. MMX is more suitable for the Blekinge townies than for the Copenhagen city slickers, but there was FR with its game not forgotten. Nowadays FR call it Malmö — be it as it is that MMX isn’t even in Malmö.
Most airports aren't in the city they're named for. Not even CPH. OSL certainly isn't in Oslo :-)
Old Jul 20, 2022, 6:53 am
ksu

Indeed, but doesn’t the near-term financial damage (from lost customers going forward) get papered over and wiped out by the Chapter 11 bankruptcy plot?
SAS' customer base remains the same. SAS' future passengers will have to come from the same customer base as today, which is mostly in Scandinavia. The arcane bankruptcy plot on a different continent might solve SAS' shortterm financial worries, but they still have to rebuild/ maintain their core business which is to/from - and especially - within Scandinavia. And the Scandinavian markets have to trust SAS as a company for that. No Ch 11 can build that trust alone.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 7:00 am
Suspended

Location: The part of NC where we have electricity, paved roads, and high school diplomas.
Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
London Copenhagen. LTN MMX. That's a lot of airport transport time....
FR used to call Hahn "Frankfurt" and Bratislava "Vienna".
Also a lot of transfer time...
Old Jul 20, 2022, 7:04 am
Suspended

Location: The part of NC where we have electricity, paved roads, and high school diplomas.
Programs: AA Platinum
I'm sure the richest person on the planet has nothing to prove/gain.
It was an example to disprove your “work yourself into the ground or you won’t be successful” theory.
But Branson's image was a reason to fly the airline and the same reason why VS got to be a preferred and continues to be a preferred airline for anyone that has a choice of airlines.
Thank you for answering your own "Do you really fly an airline based on the CEO?" and "Do you make any consumer decisions based on the CEO?" questions.
JR67 likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 7:12 am
ksu

Was it a successful attempt? Nothing stops companies from trying, are people really picking WizzAir because of how they treat their employees or because they are cheap?
The WizzAir 7 month long story on domestic Norwegian routes is complicated. They started in November 2020, and AFAIR their first flight OSL-TOS had to divert. TOS in winter is not an easy airport, and the pilots decided that they couldn't land safely, which of course was a correct decision. Other airlines, SK and DY could. This gave them a bad start locally, and was also a national news item. (A similar fate befell SAS when CityAir started to fly the KSU-OSL rotation. While this gave KSU a better service to OSL than anytime, before or later, a diverted inaugural flight and some well-publicised cancellation more or less forced to move KSU back to an (inferior) mainline service).

What really was WizzAirs problem was that because WizzAir is non unionized and the CEO came with very strong anti-Union statements, a number of local governments (Fylkeskommuner and kommuner) stated that they would not use WizzAir because of their stance on unions. WizzAir took them to court for illegal boycott. Shortly after, WizzAir decided to stop their domestic services in Norway.

https://e24.no/naeringsliv/i/aPmdl4/...singen-i-norge
Old Jul 20, 2022, 7:29 am
ksu

If you continue to believe it was SAS's doing then we must read different news. The unions decided to strike in prime vacation season and not in March. The union pilots kept the planes grounded not SAS. If either party really cared about the vacations of Norwegians we wouldn't have had a strike at this time a year.
We both accept that both parties are to blame, cf. my emphasis in your and my quote.

Consumers base their choice on trust. The SAS strike destroying the vacation for thousands has given SAS a huge PR problem, irrespective of who is to blame. When the SAS CEO is let loose on TV without his minders, ranting about his employees, he worsens the PR catastrophe, and is seen as unpredictable. The end result is that SAS is seen as even less trustworthy among the consumers in what is often presumed to be SAS' most lucrative market
As for the choice of time for the strike, that responsibility is certainly just as much SAS' . The main positions in the negotiations was well known in March, and SAS could have broken negotiations then and forced the strike. Instead appearances are that SAS tactically used the time won by postponing the strike to work out a Chapter 11 plan, which conveniently was filed immediately after the strike started, using the strike as a pretext.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 11:48 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ksu
Most airports aren't in the city they're named for. Not even CPH. OSL certainly isn't in Oslo :-)
CPH seems to have more Malmö residents using it than MMX, and CPH is closer to Malmo than MMX is to Malmo. Maybe they should call CPH “Malmö airport” and rename MMX as something else.

Are there even any Swedish SK pilots based at MMX? It’s like a foreign country out there in/by Svedala.

Even before this post-strike agreement, I seemed to run into more non-SK pilots living in Skane than SK pilots living in Skane. Not really sure why that is. Maybe for early and mid-career commercial pilots, SK already wasn’t looking so good as an employer?

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 20, 2022 at 11:55 pm
Old Jul 20, 2022, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
CPH seems to have more Malmö residents using it than MMX, and CPH is closer to Malmo than MMX is to Malmo. Maybe they should call CPH “Malmö airport:

Are there even any Swedish SK pilots based at MMX? It’s like a foreign country out there.
Saw on Sydsvenskan that some people said MMX should be called MalmoLund Airport

It takes the same time to Kastrup from my old home in Sweden and new home in DK - especially back in the good days before the stupid passport control at the bridge.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 12:02 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nacho
Saw on Sydsvenskan that some people said MMX should be called MalmoLund Airport

It takes the same time to Kastrup from my old home in Sweden and new home in DK - especially back in the good days before the stupid passport control at the bridge.
35 minutes by train from CPH to Lund. Isn’t it also 35 minutes by taxi from Lund C to MMX? It’s sometimes only a handful of minutes extra by taxi from Lund C to CPH than it is from Lund C to MMX in a taxi.

Perhaps SK could save money by further squeezing its domestic route network. When even the Blekinge “I love to drive” crowd are willing to fly out of CPH, how much would SAS lose by doing at MMX what it did to BMA? Perhaps the pilots would throw a fit about it since they seem to love to drive too.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 21, 2022 at 12:10 am
Old Jul 21, 2022, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

35 minutes by train from CPH to Lund. Isn’t it also 35 minutes by taxi from Lund C to MMX? It’s sometimes only a handful of minutes extra by taxi from Lund C to CPH than it is from Lund C to MMX in a taxi.

Perhaps SK could save money by further squeezing its domestic route network. When even the Blekinge “I love to drive” crowd are willing to fly out of CPH, how much would SAS lose by doing at MMX what it did to BMA? Perhaps the pilots would throw a fit about it since they seem to love to drive too.
It's normal for people to drive for hours to get to an airport if they can fly direct from there. If they fly SK to SFO, they can fly direct from CPH, instead of MMX-ARN-CPH-SFO. Also, MMX has SK or LCC, choice of flights are limited. If AF/LH fly there it would be a very different situation.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 2:31 am

Programs: SK*G (EBD)
Originally Posted by nacho
It's normal for people to drive for hours to get to an airport if they can fly direct from there. If they fly SK to SFO, they can fly direct from CPH, instead of MMX-ARN-CPH-SFO. Also, MMX has SK or LCC, choice of flights are limited. If AF/LH fly there it would be a very different situation.
I use MMX a lot for flights to ARN, since it is small and quick. Pre-pandemic it was possible to get much better deals to the US ex MMX via ARN than ex CPH to e.g. ORD for some reason.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 2:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JR67
I use MMX a lot for flights to ARN, since it is small and quick. Pre-pandemic it was possible to get much better deals to the US ex MMX via ARN than ex CPH to e.g. ORD for some reason.
What was the flying equivalent of fahrvergnügen? MMX-ARN-CPH-ORD.

Don’t think even the air-loving SAS pilots would agree to fly that without a new agreement that is more like the EuroBonus of a bygone era.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What was the flying equivalent of fahrvergnügen? MMX-ARN-CPH-ORD.

Don’t think even the air-loving SAS pilots would agree to fly that without a new agreement that is more like the EuroBonus of a bygone era.
I have done MMX-ARN-CPH-IAD back in 2016 - 500kr. cheaper per ticket vs direct
Old Jul 21, 2022, 3:22 am

Originally Posted by ksu
Well, certainly most major airports are not in the city limits. CPH, OSL, ARN.... all of them are a good distance from the city. Same for ZRH, VIE, MUC, FRA, LHR, CDG, FCO... There are only very few true inner-city airports... like LIN or LCY. Not even something like BOS would qualify for that.

For me, it means "Can I get from the airport terminal to the city center within 30+/- minutes". Ideally with a train/subway/metro. And then CPH, OSL, ARN, VIE, ZRH are named accordingly. Since, from CPH, I take the metro and I am downtown Copenhagen after 15-20 minutes. The Arlanda Express or the OSL Train (not talking about the ridiculous pricing of those) take me to downtown Stockholm or Oslo.

But when I book Copenhagen and got dropped off in the middle of nowhere in Skane, or book Vienna and end up in Bratislava... that is just messed up. (which btw IU also hate about Newark, which a lot of people sell as New York. And especially for Germans hard to phonetically understand that there is a difference between "newark" and "newyawk". Many many years ago, the first time I landed in EWR, I was kind of lost... what I am not in New York?

But well... you can also book Bordeaux and end up on Porto or the other way around

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.