Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS Go: Devalution in EuroBonus earnings

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAS Go: Devalution in EuroBonus earnings

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2018, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by SkOrdBgo
A question of practicality - when looking at the post-Dec 2018 booking: for SAS Go, I can't choose which booking classes I want to buy or not buy. In the case in the attached screengrab, the only SAS Go booking class I can book is T. If they are going to limit point earnings, can they at least make an option for me to book class Q, V, etc. (in the higher tier for earning)? Or am I missing something?
They only allow you to choose between T and H. It would be nice to have a bit smaller jumps in the selection options.

Currently you will need to call them, or use a TA.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 3:27 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
A question of practicality - when looking at the post-Dec 2018 booking: for SAS Go, I can't choose which booking classes I want to buy or not buy. In the case in the attached screengrab, the only SAS Go booking class I can book is T. If they are going to limit point earnings, can they at least make an option for me to book class Q, V, etc. (in the higher tier for earning)? Or am I missing something?
Wait a minute... So if I buy a Y ticket for 2000 $ I'd get 375 miles? 375!!!! What the what!
Old Oct 11, 2018, 3:29 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Nick Art
Wait a minute... So if I buy a Y ticket for 2000 $ I'd get 375 miles? 375!!!! What the what!
I'm assuming that is 1920 NOK (232US$) for that leg.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 3:30 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Ah. I forgot to use my brain.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 3:34 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by oliver2002
I would hope so, given the 6,133 price for GO Flex.

While I've repeatedly seen one-way ticket prices for ORD-CPH/CPH-OSL/ARN in economy class on SK approach $2000, I've never seen anything close to a $6,000+ one-way ticket price for SK economy class on such route. And ORD-CPH/ARN/OSL is one of my bread-and-butter routes nowadays.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Wonder what would Q fare cost for this particular journey. I was booking Mr. flight for work and from what I saw H,Q are the same price at concur which is kind of strange (I couldn't book it directly due to company policies - employees are only allowed to book direct flights with SAS, everything else have to go through their TA which doesn't really serve a purpose IMO).
Old Oct 11, 2018, 12:18 pm

Yes, that screengrab was from sas.no - so 1920 NOK!

I find it ridiculous that they can change the earnings scheme AND then make someone who legitimately wants to earn "normal" points go to a TA to book!??!?

Not happy about these changes... I'll probably still make EBG with the new scheme (instead of EBD), but the reduction in earnings for SAS Go is quite drastic.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 1:44 pm

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
I find it ridiculous that they can change the earnings scheme AND then make someone who legitimately wants to earn "normal" points go to a TA to book!??!?
This might be a sign that they are not really trying to push people to higher fares, but just cost cutting in EB. Or that they are just terribly uncoordinated. Or both.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SK2751
This might be a sign that they are not really trying to push people to higher fares, but just cost cutting in EB. Or that they are just terribly uncoordinated. Or both.
Isn't it the case for a lot of airlines online bookings? I know you can't pick TK booking classes either. Why can't they do like UA? List out which booking class I want to have fares displayed.

It could also be not all fares are available for sale at the same time, a call to SAS might be able to do it.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Yes, that screengrab was from sas.no - so 1920 NOK!

Not happy about these changes... I'll probably still make EBG with the new scheme (instead of EBD), but the reduction in earnings for SAS Go is quite drastic.
I think it is only really the US based airlines giving you good options for picking a specific booking class. Though I mainly think that has to do with all of their upgrade instruments.

In principle, picking between Lite, Go, Flexible Go should normally be enough. Though with these changes, you would really expect them to have a tick for more points But my guess is 60 to 70 percent of passengers in Go would not find the uplift worth it. Remember we are not representative here....
Old Oct 23, 2018, 4:17 pm

Programs: EBD (*G), Le Club Gold
I’m taking a long, hard look at Air Canada Altitude because of this. I can just about make EBG every year (made EBD only one year), but have 9 years to go for lifelong, as I missed a year due to parental leave.

I mainly travel economy within Europe, but have a few TATL flights a year. This year and last, all my TATL flights were on AC, as the mileage accrual there is quite good, and my destination is usually in Canada. I even use AC for US destinations served by SAS, as clearing the US border is a lot more comfortable in YYZ than, say, EWR.

Altitude credits actual miles flown, so even with the spend requirement it might be better.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:05 pm

Programs: SAS Gold, Hilton Diamond, OWS
I find the devaluation pretty horrible. I’ve just moved back to Denmark and with a girlfriend in Zurich I’m bound to be flying SAS or Swiss. When I lived in London and flew BA, I would earn at least 125 miles and often 250 each way with 8.000 required for a return trip. I would therefore have to fly between 16 and 32 return trips to get a free return trip.

With this new devaluation, a trip or similar length will now give me 100 SAS miles each way with 30.000 required for a return. I will therefore need to do 150 return trips to get a free return trip. Before the devaluation this number was 30, I.e. similar to what BA offers. I do not fly for work and the network provided by BA for my leisure travel (besides Switzerland) will most likely see me cancel my SAS mastercard again and go back to BA, as it will take way too long to get enough points for a return trip with SAS.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Scandinavian traveler
I find the devaluation pretty horrible. I’ve just moved back to Denmark and with a girlfriend in Zurich I’m bound to be flying SAS or Swiss. When I lived in London and flew BA, I would earn at least 125 miles and often 250 each way with 8.000 required for a return trip. I would therefore have to fly between 16 and 32 return trips to get a free return trip.

With this new devaluation, a trip or similar length will now give me 100 SAS miles each way with 30.000 required for a return. I will therefore need to do 150 return trips to get a free return trip. Before the devaluation this number was 30, I.e. similar to what BA offers. I do not fly for work and the network provided by BA for my leisure travel (besides Switzerland) will most likely see me cancel my SAS mastercard again and go back to BA, as it will take way too long to get enough points for a return trip with SAS.
I wouldn't only use how many miles I'll earn on this flight as the only criteria for buying a ticket. I will look at how much is my flight, and who is the cheapest and how big a difference there is in the ticket price. Personally I don't value miles much, I prefer keeping the $ in my pocket, so that I can be free to use it on whatever I want.
SK2751 likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 4:48 am

Programs: SAS Gold, Hilton Diamond, OWS
Originally Posted by nacho
I wouldn't only use how many miles I'll earn on this flight as the only criteria for buying a ticket. I will look at how much is my flight, and who is the cheapest and how big a difference there is in the ticket price. Personally I don't value miles much, I prefer keeping the $ in my pocket, so that I can be free to use it on whatever I want.
Well, the price is similar (and often lower) on BA and would often give 250 Avios for the same price as SAS, so I found it pretty similar. It would not be fair to factor in how easy it is to earn Avios in the UK versus EuroBonus points in Scandinavia, as the frequent flyer culture is just much bigger in the UK. But as I said, I have no option but to fly SAS or Swiss. Luckily I can book the youth tickets which puts me on SAS most of the time, but the youth tickets cost the same as adult tickets did with BA (and often more than BA). The 500 points earned on those tickets before therefore made the offer similar to that of BA, but will now offer just 1/5 of that.

The credit card is not as generous either for that matter. Earning rate and sign-up bonus is similar (at least for the Danish cards) but 8.000 Avios is required on BA versus 30.000 points on SAS.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 1:34 am

Programs: SK*G (EBD), AY Silver
Originally Posted by Scandinavian traveler
Well, the price is similar (and often lower) on BA and would often give 250 Avios for the same price as SAS, so I found it pretty similar. It would not be fair to factor in how easy it is to earn Avios in the UK versus EuroBonus points in Scandinavia, as the frequent flyer culture is just much bigger in the UK. But as I said, I have no option but to fly SAS or Swiss. Luckily I can book the youth tickets which puts me on SAS most of the time, but the youth tickets cost the same as adult tickets did with BA (and often more than BA). The 500 points earned on those tickets before therefore made the offer similar to that of BA, but will now offer just 1/5 of that.

The credit card is not as generous either for that matter. Earning rate and sign-up bonus is similar (at least for the Danish cards) but 8.000 Avios is required on BA versus 30.000 points on SAS.
If you book GO and not GO LIGHT on the youth tickets, you'll still (for some reason) get 500 points at it's V class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.