FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SAS Go: Devalution in EuroBonus earnings
View Single Post
Old Oct 24, 2018, 4:48 am
Scandinavian traveler

Programs: SAS Gold, Hilton Diamond, OWS
Originally Posted by nacho
I wouldn't only use how many miles I'll earn on this flight as the only criteria for buying a ticket. I will look at how much is my flight, and who is the cheapest and how big a difference there is in the ticket price. Personally I don't value miles much, I prefer keeping the $ in my pocket, so that I can be free to use it on whatever I want.
Well, the price is similar (and often lower) on BA and would often give 250 Avios for the same price as SAS, so I found it pretty similar. It would not be fair to factor in how easy it is to earn Avios in the UK versus EuroBonus points in Scandinavia, as the frequent flyer culture is just much bigger in the UK. But as I said, I have no option but to fly SAS or Swiss. Luckily I can book the youth tickets which puts me on SAS most of the time, but the youth tickets cost the same as adult tickets did with BA (and often more than BA). The 500 points earned on those tickets before therefore made the offer similar to that of BA, but will now offer just 1/5 of that.

The credit card is not as generous either for that matter. Earning rate and sign-up bonus is similar (at least for the Danish cards) but 8.000 Avios is required on BA versus 30.000 points on SAS.