Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS & EuroBonus Introduction / Frequently Asked Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 10, 2015, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Nick Art
Introduction to SAS & Eurobonus / Frequently Asked Questions

Introduction

Scandinavian Airlines System (for short SAS, IATA code SK) is the flag carrier airline of Scandinavia. It's owned for 71% by private owners and 29% by the governments of Sweden (1/7th) and Denmark (1/7th). The government of Norway has recently sold its stake in SAS.

SAS mainly flies to destinations in Europe, particularly within Scandinavia, but also operates on a few long haul routes to Asia and the USA.

SAS is part of the StarAlliance network and has in addition codeshare operations with several airlines.

Fleet
The fleet of SAS consists of mainly short haul material, mainly A320neos, but also several variants of the Airbus A320 and Boeing 737 families, although the latter are diminishing in number.

Bombardier CRJ regional jets and ATR turboprops are operated for SAS by the Irish airline Cityjet and Estonian airline XFly. A small fleet of Embraer 195 are operated by subsidiary SAS Link out of Copenhagen.

A fleet of A320neo aircraft is close to being fully delivered to Irish-registered subsidiary SAS Connect (formerly SAS Ireland).

For long haul operations, SAS uses the Airbus A330-300 and A350-900.

An up to date overview of the SAS fleet can be found here.

Hubs and Focus Cities
SAS has three hubs:
Copenhagen (CPH),
Stockholm (ARN) and
Oslo Gardermoen (OSL).

In addition,
Bergen (BGO),
Stavanger (SVG),
Trondheim (TRD) and
Gøteborg Landvetter (GOT)
have been defined as focus cities.

Service classes

Instead of the traditional Economy Class, Economy Extra Class and Business Class, SAS has made up its own service class system.

Short haul
On all short haul, SAS serves the following classes
  • SAS Go is what should resemble regular economy. The following is included in SAS Go
    • 23 kg. luggage
    • on line check in and on site check in
    • Buy on board (coffee and tea are included in the ticket price)
    • seat selection (may come with additional costs)
  • SAS Plus is a hybrid form of economy extra and business class and includes the following features
    • seating in the front of the plane
    • no guaranteed free middle seat
    • choice of food and beverages from the on board menu is included
    • priority check in counter usage
    • fast track security where applicable
    • priority luggage labels on your hold luggage
    • higher point earnings
    • lounge access where available
    • priority boarding where applied

Experience teaches that Plus, with the exception of full flex tickets, is not considered as a business class fare by any of the airline partners of SAS. As a result, if someone books a flight in SAS plus with a partner airline, the chance is quite big to end up in regular economy. The same goes for re-routings on partner airlines. This also may affect lounge access on Plus tickets: not all partner airlines may allow Plus ticket holders in their lounges.

Frequent Flyer Program / EuroBonus
SAS has its own frequent flier program called EuroBonus. It has been around since 1992. EuroBonus offers frequent fliers the possibilities to earn points. These points can be used to obtain status and /or to save for award travel or products from the gift shop.

After subscribing to EuroBonus, the qualification period starts running. This is an period of 12 months from the month of subscription to the end of the 12th month thereafter. This cycle repeats itself every year.

For example, if someone subscribes in October, his or her qualification period runs from October to September the next year (both inclusive).

Membership levels
EuroBonus offers five levels in its program:
Qualifying segments can be earned on all flights flown by
  • SAS, with the exception of SAS flights with numbers ranging 3000 - 3999 and 6000 - 9999. More information can be found here
  • Widerøe, with the exception of all flights within Norway that are carried out on PSO agreements. An overview of eligible routes can be found here.

For point earnings, please see below.

Point earnings
EuroBonus offers 2 kinds of points:
  • Basic points
    These are points that count towards membership levels.
  • Points for use (sometimes referred to as Extra points) These are the points that can be used for award travel and as a currency for buying products.

The validity of points varies and is based on the type of point and the membership level.
  • Basic points are valid during one qualification period.
  • Points for use (sometimes referred to as Extra points) are valid for 5 years for all memeber levels except Diamond and Pandion: those levels have no point validity. After losing Pandion or Diamond level benefits the counter for validity is reset to 5 years.

Basic points can be earned on all flights operated by
  • SAS. All flights, with the exception of flights with number 3000 - 3999 and 6000 - 9999
  • Widerøe. All flights, with the exception of PSO routes. An overview of eligible routes can be found here
  • Atlantic Airways. Please note that no points are earned on flight numbers RC001-399 and RC1000-9999.
  • StarAlliance partners. Point earnings is possible on all StarAlliance partners. Please note that not all booking classes may be eligible on all carriers. A detailed overview of earnings per airline can be found here.*

* Please note that only 'points for use' can be earned on AirBaltic and Ethiad Airways and only on selected routes.

Booking class
Critical for the determination of how many points will be earned is the booking class in which a flight is booked. A booking class is represented by a single character and can vary per flight segment in your booking.

A regular SAS booking via the SAS website doesn't explicitly state the booking class in the reservation, although it is possible to see in which class the booking will be done:

Step 1:
Select a suitable flight or routing and the available fares will show up. For flights fully operated by SK the booking site will show the points earned on the lower right side for each fare (1). Note that for Eurobonus Status members, the bonus % earned on flights is included in these calculations.

Step 2:
Click the (i) icon on the top of the fare (2). A popup will show up showing the fare rules. The letter is the booking class (3). In the case of more than one flight, the booking class for each flight is displayed in chronological order.

To check the booking classes later on, review the Electronic Itinerary SAS sent via mail:

Or check the booking classes directly under my bookings on the SAS website:

Star Alliance Benefits (for elites in other *A programs flying on SK)

Star Alliance Silver Benefits
You'll get nothing and like it?

Star Alliance Gold Benefits
Priority check-in: Yes
Fast-track security pass: Yes (for everyone on same itinerary; excludes SK-operated fast-track security)
Extra baggage allowance: Yes (HBO fares might be excluded)
Preferred seats: Yes
Lounge access: Yes (for traveler and one guest; SAS-operated or Star Alliance-affiliated lounges only)
Priority baggage handling: Yes
Priority standby: Yes
Priority boarding: Yes (for everyone on the same itinerary)

Print Wikipost

SAS & EuroBonus Introduction / Frequently Asked Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2019, 8:51 am

Programs: A3*G, SK*G
Originally Posted by unusualtravelblog
I have a flight in July with SAS with a very short layover. I usually don't worry too much about layovers in FRA, ZRH, VIE if they're very short, but I am not really familiar with Scandinavian airports in terms of extremely short layovers. Do you think I will make it? Given the flights are in the evening, I don't want to spend the night in Oslo... As I won't have a flight that day that will bring me to AGP.

So here's the schedule:
BRU-OSL: 19h00 - 20h50
Layover 35m
OSL-AGP: 21h25 - 01h35

Both with SAS in 1 PNR...
Wish me luck
I suppose that this is booked directly through SAS, and not through some OTA, right?

Normally you should be able to make it. I have often booked short connections (ca 40-45 min) with SAS, mostly via CPH, but via OSL too. Success rates have been over 80%, even with my hold baggage making it along. Yet I have avoided doing so in July, which can be chaotic in Scandinavian airports. Moreover SAS fleet capacity is pushed to its limits (since a large number of aircraft are directed to Spain, Greece, and Italy), meaning fewer de facto spare planes. Especially given that your BRU flight is at the end of the day, delays are quite likely, even with regular July operations (without last year's havoc). By the same token of course, the OSL-AGP plane could also be delayed...

Anyways, wish you luck mate
Old Jun 20, 2019, 10:06 am

Programs: A3 *G & FB G
Originally Posted by East_and_West
I suppose that this is booked directly through SAS, and not through some OTA, right?

Normally you should be able to make it. I have often booked short connections (ca 40-45 min) with SAS, mostly via CPH, but via OSL too. Success rates have been over 80%, even with my hold baggage making it along. Yet I have avoided doing so in July, which can be chaotic in Scandinavian airports. Moreover SAS fleet capacity is pushed to its limits (since a large number of aircraft are directed to Spain, Greece, and Italy), meaning fewer de facto spare planes. Especially given that your BRU flight is at the end of the day, delays are quite likely, even with regular July operations (without last year's havoc). By the same token of course, the OSL-AGP plane could also be delayed...

Anyways, wish you luck mate
Thanks. Good to know that there is some chance to make it .
Unfortunately, I booked with an OTA. But once I'm at the airport it is the airline responsibility to get me to AGP or give me a hotel in OSL, right?
If my luggage doesn't make it too, it is SAS their responsibility I guess? If they think it is impossible, they shouldn't sell those tickets in the first place.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 10:31 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by fassy
OSL is rather small and very efficient airport.
Very easy - as Oslo is so small.

Also CPH is a really great airport for connections.
Not if you have to run all the way to the A gates!
Old Jun 20, 2019, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
Not if you have to run all the way to the A gates!
As long as is it is not A32, even walking from D4 to A11 isn't really an issue and can be done without much trouble in 10 minutes, e.g. compared to some hikes I had at LHR or FRA.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 11:00 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
As long as is it is not A32, even walking from D4 to A11 isn't really an issue and can be done without much trouble in 10 minutes, e.g. compared to some hikes I had at LHR or FRA.
Yes, A26/32 - which used to be the AAL flights...

This has to be stated for all to be aware of!

And regarding FRA - if one is tarmac-positioned and bus(s?)ed to the terminals, consider spending at least 15-20 minutes on that exercise - as I had the wonderful experience last week - with a delayed inbound and therefore no restaurants open after 2200 hours... (or after 2300 hours by the time I arrived at the "airport" hotel)
Old Jun 20, 2019, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
And regarding FRA - if one is tarmac-positioned and bus(s?)ed to the terminals, consider spending at least 15-20 minutes on that exercise - as I had the wonderful experience last week - with a delayed inbound and therefore no restaurants open after 2200 hours... (or after 2300 hours by the time I arrived at the "airport" hotel)
Don't forget the 45 minutes taxiing to the remote position. I managed more than once to spend more time taxiing from touchdown to the stand and bus back to the terminal than in the air getting to FRA
Old Jun 21, 2019, 3:40 pm

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
LO as EBD

Sounds like a stupid decision to move the birds on summer vacation/tourist rotations instead of serving a mainly business destination. As I'm on one of the CPH-WAW flights every other week, I have to say: I hate it! But, well... business goes to LOT now.
Just had one of my first LO trips from CPH in a looong time (and a few more will have to come in the summer break). Some observation

[+] on light fares you get double points of what SK gives you (300 points from LO)
[+] SK*G gets a free checked bug on light fares. This is shown at check in I think, and I tested it today personally from CPH
[+] once you check in online, the BP shows up in the SK app. Nice. Although check in the SK app does not work
[-] LO no longer uses SK check-in agents (I have no idea when the change has happened - had a few flights last year, but without bags, so have missed this possibly for some time). There are now to checkin counters in Terminal 2, a looong hike, a long queue, and there is no sign/separate line for business checkin. One screen has business sign, so I just cut the queue (and was accepted). Cutting through 30 people waiting takes some DYKWIA skills. The counter opens only 2 hours before departure. Huge crap. Far from SK lounge. Crap.
[-] Departures tend to be from far A gates (the old domestic terminal). Very long hike. Actually made my daily step limit thanks to this :P Just to spin things positively ...
[+] seat block seems to work very well, like on LH.

Overall I am not jumping on the LO wagon willingly.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by SK2751
Just had one of my first LO trips from CPH in a looong time (and a few more will have to come in the summer break). Some observation

[+] on light fares you get double points of what SK gives you (300 points from LO)
[+] SK*G gets a free checked bug on light fares. This is shown at check in I think, and I tested it today personally from CPH
[+] once you check in online, the BP shows up in the SK app. Nice. Although check in the SK app does not work
[-] LO no longer uses SK check-in agents (I have no idea when the change has happened - had a few flights last year, but without bags, so have missed this possibly for some time). There are now to checkin counters in Terminal 2, a looong hike, a long queue, and there is no sign/separate line for business checkin. One screen has business sign, so I just cut the queue (and was accepted). Cutting through 30 people waiting takes some DYKWIA skills. The counter opens only 2 hours before departure. Huutting through 30 people waiting takes some DYKWIA skills. The counter opens only 2 hours before departure. Huge crapge crap. Far from SK lounge. Crap.
[-] Departures tend to be from far A gates (the old domestic terminal). Very long hike. Actually made my daily step limit thanks to this :P Just to spin things positively ...
[+] seat block seems to work very well, like on LH.

Overall I am not jumping on the LO wagon willingly.
No qualms whatsoever to do this. If the airlines can't manager's their queues and sign post them properly, I'll be happy to help them fix that.

Lufthansa is the only one of the Lufthansa group airlines that remain in T3. SWISS and Austrian moved long time ago. Brussels never was in T3.

Sobthe do actually use the gates above A25 still? I did wonder, as it is highly inconvenient from the security section. But I always enjoy walking across the tarmac to the plane.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Sobthe do actually use the gates above A25 still? I did wonder, as it is highly inconvenient from the security section. But I always enjoy walking across the tarmac to the plane.
Had two morning departures to WAW from A32 in the last two months. Seems the Nordica CR9s were parked there over night.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum

Had two morning departures to WAW from A32 in the last two months. Seems the Nordica CR9s were parked there over night.
That's a bit of a hike from the SK lounge....
Old Jun 22, 2019, 12:56 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
Forgot to add. Yesterday CPH-WAW on LO was LY-GTW, an over 29 years old bird; and this shows. Even when contrasted with not so well maintained (and poorly decorated) CityJet machines.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 2:17 am

Sounds like a stupid decision to move the birds on summer vacation/tourist rotations instead of serving a mainly business destination
That seems like it. I understand reducing slightly (one/two services ‘here and there’) but removing the whole schedule just like that, seriously? And I doubt the yields on that particular route are that bad. In the meantime, Gdańsk gets 4 [SAS] flights a day from/to Copenhagen and I think a few weekly services to Stockholm & Oslo as well ([OT] Currently in Gdańsk to get away from the oppressive heat down in Sarajevo and amazed at the ever increasing popularity in terms of tourism that this city has had in the last few years, particularly from Scandinavia/Germany and The Netherlands as well since KLM launched a couple of daily flights — last night it was impossible to even walk down in Sopot [/OT]).

G
Old Jun 24, 2019, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by SK2751
Forgot to add. Yesterday CPH-WAW on LO was LY-GTW, an over 29 years old bird; and this shows. Even when contrasted with not so well maintained (and poorly decorated) CityJet machines.
Yeah, I had the "pleasure" of LY-MGC on my last CPH-WAW-CPH rotation. Even worse, being parked for quite a long time on a remote stand without external AC in the searing heat last Wednesday. After boarding, then they didn't get permission to start the engines for another 45 minutes.... was like 45 degrees - if not more - in there. A couple of pax where close to collapsing... no fun.

I guess we have to suffer these old machines due to the grounding of the Max 8s. LO needed to get some 737 somewhere and probably these ancient birds where available for short-term lease.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 2:56 am

trouble booking star alliance award

Had to sent a screenshot of the payment page to support team as website asked to put in a six-digits-code where eurobonus has four-digits-codes only?
And I never received a code either, despite trying multiple times. Anyone else having trouble getting payment finalized?

Old Jul 7, 2019, 8:22 am

Programs: More than one
It looks like onetime verification codes which you should received as SMS's on your phone or as e-mail. This is often used by credit card companies too.

I have regularly problems with receiving those one time codes from various sources. We used them until about a year ago in the company I work for, but has now switched to the Symantec MFA solution as the onetime codes over SMS's were to unstable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.