Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Connections in Copenhagen (CPH)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connections in Copenhagen (CPH)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2015, 3:54 pm

connection time in Copenhagen?

I am looking at booking a flight O'Hare/ORD to Oslo this September on SAS. There is a 1 hr. 5 min. stopover in Copenhagan. Both flights are listed as Terminal 3. Does anyone see this stopover being too tight that I should be concerned?

Thanks!
Old Jan 20, 2015, 12:35 am

Programs: SK Eurobonus Diamond (Lifetime Star Gold), Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Platinum)
Originally Posted by cmp618
I am looking at booking a flight O'Hare/ORD to Oslo this September on SAS. There is a 1 hr. 5 min. stopover in Copenhagan. Both flights are listed as Terminal 3. Does anyone see this stopover being too tight that I should be concerned?

Thanks!
You should be fine. CPH is a quite efficient airport for connections. You will have to clear immigration and (I think) transfer security both both are quite good.

In case your ORD-CPH flight is delayed then SK will put you on one of the next flights to OSL (there are a number of flights to OSL from CPH).

Svantevit.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 12:42 am

There is no Security check, just the immigration/passport Check.

1 hour should be good as long as the inbound flight is not late and you are not the last one leaving the plane.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 3:43 am

Programs: EB Silver, Bonvoy Gold
Late last year I got a schedule change for my flight ZRH - CPH - IAD that resulted in a transit time of 3h15 in CPH now. :-(
What do you think is a short hop with the metro to the citycentre doable or shall we stay at the airport (we travel with two kids 4 and 6y)? We travel in C. Many thanks for your advices...
Old Jan 21, 2015, 4:02 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by grischtu
Late last year I got a schedule change for my flight ZRH - CPH - IAD that resulted in a transit time of 3h15 in CPH now. :-(
What do you think is a short hop with the metro to the citycentre doable or shall we stay at the airport (we travel with two kids 4 and 6y)? We travel in C. Many thanks for your advices...
I certainly like your ambition and curiosity. I'm almost tempted to say yes, but you need to know on the day if the trains are running normally. One metro break-down and you're screwed.

Traveling on SAS in C will reduce security time (Fast Track) and passport control is usually a breeze. However, getting from your ZRH flight to the metro will take 20 minutes from leaving the aircraft until you're on the platform. And then it begins to get tight.

It could be done. Would I do it? Probably not.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 4:58 am

You could visit the aquarium close to the airport (http://www.denblaaplanet.dk)

You will have around 2 hours there and it is independent on weather, nice for kids and very close (even though to safe time I would use a cab)
Old Jan 21, 2015, 12:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by fassy
You could visit the aquarium close to the airport (http://www.denblaaplanet.dk)

You will have around 2 hours there and it is independent on weather, nice for kids and very close (even though to safe time I would use a cab)
That's actually a wonderful idea. In fact, take the metro 1 stop to save 10-15 minutes' walking time. Should the metro break down, you can still walk to the airport!

The taxi people may refuse you - although CPH isn't as bad as the taxi guys in Heathrow ("South Kensington? No, too short"), they're known to be a pain if you go anywhere on Amager island from the airport. You may easily catch one the other way.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 3:10 am

Programs: EB Silver, Bonvoy Gold
Thanks to fassy and CKCPH for the aquarium hint, will consider this one closely! Am I right by understanding that you could even walk from/to the aquarium form the airport?
Old Jan 22, 2015, 3:31 am

Yes, you can. I would say around 20 minutes. So if the weather is nice, why not? I would say take the metro or a cab to maximize the time you have there.

If the cab driver complains tell him you have no idea how far it is and that he has to drive you according to the license he holds...

Another option in the area would be the fields shopping center which is close by but as you are going to the U.S. I think you will not find the Danish pricing very competitive
Old Jan 22, 2015, 4:05 am

Programs: EBD
Originally Posted by CKCPH
....One metro break-down and you're screwed....
The Metro has a very high punctuality of 98,6%, and a metro breakdown very seldom happens. A even if so, the next train will be on its way with a couple of minutes. So the Metro is in fact the most reliable and fastest way to and from the airport.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 8:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jespersm
The Metro has a very high punctuality of 98,6%, and a metro breakdown very seldom happens. A even if so, the next train will be on its way with a couple of minutes. So the Metro is in fact the most reliable and fastest way to and from the airport.
I didn't say anything about likelihood. If you're on a layover and on Strøget 1.5 hours before your flight, you may be screwed should the Metro not be up and running, depending on availability of taxis, traffic, boarding time of your US flight, possible extra security at the gate (this happens).

Does it happen often? No. Would it be absolutely detrimental to this family if it did? Yes.

It's not a discussion of mode of transportation to the airport and general travel times, it's about one specific short layover. We're talking missing a TATL flight with no rebooking or refund due to own inability to make the flight. I wouldn't risk it, but it could - as I said - be done.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 12:24 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Jespersm
I've encountered more delays when taking the Oresundstag/DSB trains or taxis from CPH to the city center than I have when taking the metro. All other things being about equal, I try to use the Metro over the other transport methods because it's reliable enough and more predictably timely.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 6:04 pm

Programs: AS, UA, AA, Hyatt Globalist, and Marriott Silver
30 minute connection time

Doing some reading, I'm thinking we're okay, but never been to CPH, so thought I'd ask. Arriving on SK626 at 14:50 from DUS and leaving for ARN at 13:20 on SK1424 in July. We are in Row 8 and hoping to just have carry on luggage. Plenty of time to connect? Have an 8kg carry on limit, does SAS weigh carry on? Will check if need to but worried our bags won't make it even if we do!

Thanks!
Old Apr 26, 2015, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Jed33d
Doing some reading, I'm thinking we're okay, but never been to CPH, so thought I'd ask. Arriving on SK626 at 14:50 from DUS and leaving for ARN at 13:20 on SK1424 in July. We are in Row 8 and hoping to just have carry on luggage. Plenty of time to connect? Have an 8kg carry on limit, does SAS weigh carry on? Will check if need to but worried our bags won't make it even if we do!

Thanks!
30 minutes is within MCT for CPH, so while not plenty of time it should not be an issue either. It is sufficient time. I have have never had my carry on weighed by SK, but if it is very big, they may object.
CPH is normally good for connecting bags, so I would be OK to check check luggage for the connection if it was me. If you are late from DUS, SK runs pretty frequent flights to Arlanda so you should not be stuck for long.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 12:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Silver
Originally Posted by Jed33d

Thanks!
Even CPH cannot manage a connection time of -1:30 (ie. you're leaving before you arrive). In case of 30min connection, that shouldn't be a problem as long as everything goes as planned

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.