Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Optiontown.com paid upgrades on SAS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 25, 2013, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Optiontown - Upgrade on SK flights
SAS Scandinavian Airlines offers, via partner Optiontown, all customers the opportunity to purchase an upgrade on SK operated flights, which will be confirmed 72-24 hours prior to departure, pending on seat availability.

SAS Go passengers can purchase an upgrade to SAS Plus on all flights and to SAS Business class on SAS’s intercontinental flights between Scandinavia, the US and Asia, while SAS Plus passengers also can buy an upgrade to SAS Business class on intercontinental flights.
Booking class Europe: A (SAS Plus)
Booking classes Intercontinental: Z (Business) and P (SAS Plus)
Note: All upgrades will be handled by Optiontown.
Contact to Optiontown

Phone: UK +44 (0) 203 371 7854
E-mail: [email protected]
Homepage: www.optiontown.com
Upgrade fees

Intercontinental flights:
Upgrade fees will range between EUR140 and EUR900, depending on availability, destination and service class.
European flights:
Upgrade fees will range between EUR30 and EUR75, depending on availability, destination and service class.

EUR 1 (one) for short haul flights
EUR 5 (five) for long haul flights.
Note: During the period 10JUN15-31AUG15, no sign up fee will be charged.
Reservation

All upgraded PNRs will be updated with and include OS SK OPTIONTOWN UPGRADE.
Reservation for non 117-documents (only applicable on long haul flights)

Reservations for non 117-documents will be updated by Optiontown with the following information:

OS SK UTO
SR CKIN SK KK. ATTN CHECK-IN. UTO PSGR. PLS UPGRADE TO (CLASS) ACC TO PROC ON SKXXX (DATE), UPG ALREADY PAID BRGDS REV MNGT.
Note: Tickets will not be reissued and upgrade will take place at check-in counter.
Rebooking
If the passenger wants to rebook a flight with confirmed upgrade via Optiontown, always use the original ticket fare, found in TWD, to calculate the fare difference.
Change fee must be collected if applicable for the original ticket.

Refund

After requesting upgrade it is not possible to change or cancel the upgrade request.
Upgrade amount is not refundable.

If the passengers upgrade request is not successful, the upgrade fee will be refunded.
Optiontown must be contacted for refund.
Restrictions

Upgrade of the following passengers cannot be performed:

Travel Pass passengers
Groups (booking class G)
Passengers holding award tickets (booking classes I and X)
ID-passengers (booking classes R and N)

Irregularity

Rebooking procedures for passengers with an upgrade, affected by irregularity:

Rebooking to other SK-flight
If the same booking class as passenger was upgraded to is available - rebook the passenger in the upgraded booking class.
If the same booking class as passenger was upgraded to is not available - rebook the passenger in the same service class as originally booked and refund the upgrade.
Rebooking to other airline
Rebook the passenger in the same service class as originally booked and refund the upgrade.

Note: In case of refund in above cases, the passenger himself must contact Optiontown and request refund.
Benefits

The upgraded passenger is entitled to:

Baggage allowance according to the new class
Star Alliance Priority tag
SAS Business check-in
Fast Track security
SAS Lounge access
EuroBonus points earned according to the new class
Onboard service according to the new class

Passenger process

Passenger makes a reservation on an SAS operated flight. Reservation must be confirmed.
Passenger logs onto www.optiontown.com, creates an account and enters credit card info.
Passenger can register the upgrade request immediately after reservation is made
Sign-up must be made latest 36 hours before departure

Optiontown selects the passengers to be upgraded according to conditions set forth by SAS

If there are seats available and the upgrade request is successful, the upgrade will be confirmed 72-24 hours prior to departure.
Updated 03JUL15 08.57
Print Wikipost

Optiontown.com paid upgrades on SAS

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2012, 2:52 pm
Koc

Originally Posted by SusanDK
Just wanted to report back on the data points for future searchers, that it was stated by a GA that OT will not clear unless there is an oversold situation.
True, but not consistent. Upgrades have been reported with both M and Y open.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by gnaget
Please don't use Y class for economy since that's Eco Extra in SAS parlance. Amadeus based airlines like SAS and LH generally use M class for eco.
Sorry - edited!
Old Jun 12, 2012, 1:52 pm

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold, LH FTL, FBP, CCG, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SusanDK
She stated that the flight was not oversold in M which is the reason OT did not clear.
I'm sorry to say so, but there are few places (with the exception of a few AF outstations) where I've been lied to as much as in CPH. I'm not even sure I believe the GA knew what OT is.

And if this was the case, we would have figured it out a long time ago. Of course the chances are higher if the flight is oversold, but it isn't the only factor.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 2:55 pm

Programs: EBS
ss
Originally Posted by agehall
I'm sorry to say so, but there are few places (with the exception of a few AF outstations) where I've been lied to as much as in CPH. I'm not even sure I believe the GA knew what OT is.

And if this was the case, we would have figured it out a long time ago. Of course the chances are higher if the flight is oversold, but it isn't the only factor.
Maybe, but I also have to say, that when I have been upgraded via OT, from my experience, the flights have been full in M. How do I know? from a small walk down the airplane.

But okay sh..it happens. I was on the plane BKK-CPH, and had tried to upgrade with points to Y+. It was not possible, and a lot of people had tried to do the same.
Many in M was annoyed, when they saw there was two seats empty left in Y+. I asked one of the FA why it was empty when I had asked to use points. The answer was that many had tried, but Y+ was full before departure. The passengers did not show-up.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 4:11 am

Originally Posted by agehall
I'm not even sure I believe the GA knew what OT is.
The agent at check-in for certain didn't have a clue what OT was, even when I explained that it was defined on SK's website as a paid upgrade option. But the GA appeared to be well aware of what I was referring to, also knowing the difference between OT upgrades and when SK offers upgrades for cash themselves at the gate.

Susan
Old Jul 7, 2012, 11:59 am

Programs: UA *G MM
Can people with OT experience comment on the following. I am flying NRT-CPH-NRT, which I think is a difficult route because the planes are rather empty in M class (and other classes).

Checking the OT site after purchase. For my Eco Extra booking NRT-CPH the flight has a reasonable load in M with only expensive booking classes left. But Y to C not on offer from OT. Y and C are empty.

On the other hand the return from CPH where I am booked in eco and the flight is empty in all classes, OT offers the option to sign up for Y and C upgrades. But in reality chance are close to nil in this case unless the flight starts to fill up later?
Old Jul 8, 2012, 3:04 pm

Anyone with experiences of upgrading on shorthaul? Flying LHR - CPH on a youth fare, so not sure if that would even be possible.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 5:00 pm

Programs: TK M&S Elite (*G), SK EB Silver, various more or less shiny hotel cards
No, it's not possible. OptionTown upgrades are offered only for SK long-haul flights. (And for Blue1 shorter flights.)

Welcome to FT!
Old Jul 11, 2012, 9:21 am

Programs: SK EBD, AA PLT, SPG Gold
Just to weigh in on the issue if M has to be oversold for OT upgrades to clear - I am fairly sure that the answer is no (speaking from own experience on several occasions). The GA might have confused this with the cash upgrades sometimes offered at the airport in EWR and other stations in the summer, when M is full and Y and C are often quite empty.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 5:23 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SAS EBD, BA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
M->Y Optiontown upgrade cleared this morning for CPH-IAD in 72+ hours. No email yet, but showed on Checkmytrip.com.

Price: EUR142

Availability at this moment:
A/0 C/8 D/8 J/7 Z/0 R/0 Y/8 S/7 B/0 E/7 M/7 H/7 Q/7 V/0 W/0 U/0 K/0 L/0 T/0 G/0 N/0

(so still seats for sale in all classes)
Old Jul 16, 2012, 7:57 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
I registered for Optiontown and selected an upgrade on CPH-NRT from economy to economy extra. For the NRT-CPH there was no upgrade option offered.

Can this change? For example if I check back in a couple of weeks might they offer an upgrade option?

Last edited by flyingfkb; Jul 16, 2012 at 3:47 pm Reason: Wrong IATA Code
Old Jul 16, 2012, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by caspritz78
I registered for Optiontown and selected an upgrade on CPG-NRT from economy to economy extra. For the NRT-CPG there was no upgrade option offered.

Can this change? For example if I check back in a couple of weeks might they offer an upgrade option?
I also booked a flight where NRT-CPH is unavailable while CPH-NRT allows listing for OT upgrade. Despite the fact that NRT-CPH appears to have more seats booked. In my case, I booked Extra and looking for upgrade to C.

I think this has to do with the route. I discussed in another thread how they have weight issues due to cargo for NRT-CPH and the plane is rarely full of passengers. The main trigger for OT is a chance of oversell in M.

Please let us know if you are successful on CPH-NRT and the load was on the flight.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 2:48 am

Originally Posted by gnaget
I also booked a flight where NRT-CPH is unavailable while CPH-NRT allows listing for OT upgrade. Despite the fact that NRT-CPH appears to have more seats booked. In my case, I booked Extra and looking for upgrade to C.

I think this has to do with the route. I discussed in another thread how they have weight issues due to cargo for NRT-CPH and the plane is rarely full of passengers. The main trigger for OT is a chance of oversell in M.

Please let us know if you are successful on CPH-NRT and the load was on the flight.
Just returned from NRT after a Mileage Run CPH-NRT, this weekend. Flew out Thursday afternoon and return monday noon.

Did the OptionTown "upgrade" as always on longhaul flights and had the same exprience. CPH-NRT availiable, NRT-CPH not available. Signed up for CPH-NRT both classes, but it didn't go through. I got the mail like 12 hours before departure time.
There were available seats on all three classes both ways

Karsten
Old Jul 24, 2012, 5:19 am

Programs: United Premier Gold, AirBerlin Gold, Starwood Gold, Avis Preferred, CBP Global Entry
I have an inherent distrust of non-transparent systems that take or borrow my money. If you didn't guess, I got an email last night saying that my IAD-CPH flight wouldn't be upgraded from Y to C.

I watched C fill up and Y empty somewhat yesterday on ExpertFlyer, but we weren't among those upgraded. Was it because our UA/*A status hadn't yet attached to our PNR? Should we have submitted the request sooner and paid up earlier? According to them, perhaps I should've used OT more. So perhaps my OT 'status' wasn't high enough?

At least with United I can see the upgrade list and have an idea of how it's supposed to work. But neither Star Alliance upgrade or OT worked for what--until yesterday--was a fairly empty biz cabin. Next time, I'll earn the interest on my money instead of OT.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by glasnost7
I have an inherent distrust of non-transparent systems that take or borrow my money. If you didn't guess, I got an email last night saying that my IAD-CPH flight wouldn't be upgraded from Y to C.

I watched C fill up and Y empty somewhat yesterday on ExpertFlyer, but we weren't among those upgraded. Was it because our UA/*A status hadn't yet attached to our PNR? Should we have submitted the request sooner and paid up earlier? According to them, perhaps I should've used OT more. So perhaps my OT 'status' wasn't high enough?

At least with United I can see the upgrade list and have an idea of how it's supposed to work. But neither Star Alliance upgrade or OT worked for what--until yesterday--was a fairly empty biz cabin. Next time, I'll earn the interest on my money instead of OT.
I really don't think Optiontown has any idea about EBG or *G status. I would guess that they prioritize upgrades in order received or possibly the payment amount -- if it changes over time, although I suspect the early offers would be higher. The only time that I nearly used OT was when I had put in my email address (not paid the fee or amount upfront) and then I got an offer for an upgrade at a reduced price a few days before departure. At that point I had decided to still use points because of expiration concerns.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.