• https://www.flysfo.com/travel-well/covid-19-testing
  • https://www.dc3therapeutics.com/schedule-covid19-testing
Print Wikipost

covid, pcr testing near sfo ????

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2021, 5:27 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, airline free agent
Originally Posted by Kacee
At $275 per test, I don't think they're exactly overwhelmed with customers. I'd schedule for shortly after arrival and not stress about it.
Not sure this is right. my daughter and wife had a 30 min wait even with appointment. One data point.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 10:29 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Looks like there's a new option from next week. According to the SFO website Worksite labs are opening a location inside the international terminal ("Departures Level, Berman Reflection Room, adjacent to the BART Station"). Their existing location was a drive-thru location over near the long-term parking so may still be a better option if arriving by private/rental car, but this will be more convenient in other situations.
estnet and SamirD like this.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 10:53 am

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by docbert
Looks like there's a new option from next week. According to the SFO website Worksite labs are opening a location inside the international terminal ("Departures Level, Berman Reflection Room, adjacent to the BART Station"). Their existing location was a drive-thru location over near the long-term parking so may still be a better option if arriving by private/rental car, but this will be more convenient in other situations.
Great to know! We've used this lab before and it was a good experience. I believe they were also cheaper than the other one that's a driveup nearby at SFO, but that other lab had faster results. Great to have two options.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by SamirD
Great to know! We've used this lab before and it was a good experience. I believe they were also cheaper than the other one that's a driveup nearby at SFO, but that other lab had faster results. Great to have two options.
Originally Posted by docbert
And the prices have come down considerably! 24 hour turn around used to be 3-400 dollars and now is 90 and may be covered by insurance
SamirD likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by estnet
24 hour turn around used to be 3-400 dollars and now is 90 and may be covered by insurance
Either way it's covered by insurance--you just have to manually file a claim afterwards.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Either way it's covered by insurance--you just have to manually file a claim afterwards.
Maybe, but Medicare sets reimbursement rates for all medical procedures and I doubt they would have paid the higher rate - luckily I didn't have to find out! (and most insurance sets rates as well - did anyone with private insurance get reimbursed for the high rates for expedited service?)
this is old but the highest medicare would pay was $100 when they were charging $300
"the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) today announced new actions to pay for expedited coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) test results. CMS previously took action in April 2020 by increasing the Medicare payment to laboratories for high throughput COVID-19 diagnostic tests from approximately $51 to $100 per test. Today, CMS is announcing that starting January 1, 2021, Medicare will pay $100 only to laboratories that complete high throughput COVID-19 diagnostic tests within two calendar days "
SamirD likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 3:33 pm

Maybe, but Medicare sets reimbursement rates for all medical procedures and I doubt they would have paid the higher rate - luckily I didn't have to find out! (and most insurance sets rates as well - did anyone with private insurance get reimbursed for the high rates for expedited service?)
this is old but the highest medicare would pay was $100 when they were charging $300
"the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) today announced new actions to pay for expedited coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) test results. CMS previously took action in April 2020 by increasing the Medicare payment to laboratories for high throughput COVID-19 diagnostic tests from approximately $51 to $100 per test. Today, CMS is announcing that starting January 1, 2021, Medicare will pay $100 only to laboratories that complete high throughput COVID-19 diagnostic tests within two calendar days "
Interesting. I have 2x $399 claims I need to file with Kaiser because no one else was available at the time that could even do an RT-PCR test in time for travel, so they were the only shot. This type of a claim shouldn't be denied, but knowing insurance companies...
Old Feb 10, 2022, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Please let us know
Old Feb 10, 2022, 5:32 pm

Please let us know
Will do!

If you don't see an update here in the next 2 months, hit me with a PM with a link to this post to jog my memory.
estnet likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 9:41 pm

The CARES act requires private insurers to pay list price for COVID tests. Insurers haven't been happy with it as some are definitely price gouging. Here's an article I could find about it (I've seen better article but a quick google was difficult as all that comes up is more recent articles about insurers covering at-home test): https://www.10news.com/news/in-depth...covid-19-tests
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 2:03 am

FYI, Worksite really means 12 hour when they say 12 hours. Regardless of when you do it. Unfortunately they aren't open til late (I think 4pm is their latest) so not as useful.

Many places like Carbonhealth explicitly say travel COVID testing not covered. Does anybody have a link to an authority saying travel COVID testing is required to be covered by insurance?
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Many places like Carbonhealth explicitly say travel COVID testing not covered.
Most places I've had to go to say this. Mainly because they're not going to file the insurance claim for you, hence expect to be paid on the spot. But all insurance companies will allow you to file for claims yourself and that's the procedure you have to use.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 11:59 pm

Most places I've had to go to say this. Mainly because they're not going to file the insurance claim for you, hence expect to be paid on the spot. But all insurance companies will allow you to file for claims yourself and that's the procedure you have to use.
So are you saying that if I did the 1 hour PCR test at the airport, that they charge upwards of $300 for, my insurance has to reimburse me?
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by s0ssos
So are you saying that if I did the 1 hour PCR test at the airport, that they charge upwards of $300 for, my insurance has to reimburse me?
It depends on the insurance company's policies, but I would argue that if they couldn't provide you with the required PCR test, then they should have to reimburse you as per any other service that you got elsewhere that they could not provide.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 8:45 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
It depends on the insurance company's policies, but I would argue that if they couldn't provide you with the required PCR test, then they should have to reimburse you as per any other service that you got elsewhere that they could not provide.
At least early on there were reports that some of the "travel" test providers were breaking down the cost as one charge for the test itself, and another for the admin/paperwork/etc of having it done quickly. eg, for a $400 test, only $200 might be for the actual test which would be claimable, where the other $200 would not be. No idea if that's still happening or not.
SamirD likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.