Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > S.P.A.M.
Reload this Page >

Is Points.com dishonest?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Points.com dishonest?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2007, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Is Points.com dishonest?

Does this only happen to me? Points.com has failed to award various small bonuses, and also failed to complete swaps and kept my points. They ignore email I've sent a few times since April. I even have some screenshots but that doesn't seem to matter with them:

1) Swapped to eRewards. They took my points but I never got the eRewards. Now they are out of the program.
2) I referred 2 people who joined and made swaps, but never received the 200 AA miles promised.
3) Recently they advertised a 10% bonus on AA swaps. I received a few of these last summer, but now I am not getting them.
4) Points.com verified my Sirius account successfully. I attempted to swap out in July, but the swap is still pending.
5) Last month I tried swapping 1 point into Sirius as a test. No luck.

This isn't a lot of points or miles, but it's annoying.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 8:32 pm

Programs: Hhonors, Marriott, UA mileage Plus, Continental One Pass
Although I haven't exactly had your type of swaps, I haven't had any problems with the swaps I have made. On Sat. I emptied my U.S. airways acct to transfer to AA miles. Terrible swap but I was at the point that I would probably be losing them in a couple of months and I only had a little over 6,000 pts. I checked Points.com and AA website, the miles have already posted today.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 5:26 am

Failed swap from AA to Amazon

Same deal with a small swap -- I swapped AA miles for an Amazon gift certificate, figuring it was better than nothing. The AA miles were depleted but no certificate. It was one of those things I never followed up with, but I wouldn't trust points.com again. (Besides - for all their hype, the swaps are at a terrible rate - only good if you're going to lose them anyway)
Old Oct 23, 2007, 5:32 am

Programs: United 1 k ;Hertz Gold; Marriott Gold; Starwood Gold; Priority Club Gold; BMI Silver
bonuses

I have found they do not always award bonuses they allege they are going to do. I also find it obnoxios that in their effort to get money, they refuse to even answer emails unless you are a gold member.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 5:44 am

They answered a general email of mine asking about some missing points today.

Here's my basic issue.

Used their referral link to earn Priority Club points for an Ebay purchase I made. I've used other referrals (from other companies for Ebay) before and the points have turned up fairly quickly.

It's now coming up to 4 weeks since the purchase. Points replied and told me that I should wait 90 days for the points.

Will wait and harass every now and again...

Overall, they've been ok and I've got the points I've expected from them at various times.
Old Nov 13, 2007, 8:26 pm

Programs: BA, PC, HH
Originally Posted by Aus_Mal
They answered a general email of mine asking about some missing points today.

Here's my basic issue.

Used their referral link to earn Priority Club points for an Ebay purchase I made. I've used other referrals (from other companies for Ebay) before and the points have turned up fairly quickly.

I've had the same problem. Actually I made a purchase through the Priority club points link for an Ebay purchase on 2nd September. After about a month I emailed them and they replied saying ebay was no longer a partner.

I replied saying that was ridiculous as ther was a link and there still is a link on the priority club earn page.

I sent them an message just a few days ago asking if ebay was a partner and they replied yes, it is a partner.

Ridiculous scam artists!!
Old Nov 16, 2007, 4:35 pm

Programs: AA Plat
I signed up with points.com to get the sign-up bonus to keep the miles in a frequent flyer account from expiring. The miles have not shown up yet, so I may need to try a different vendor.
Old Nov 16, 2007, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
I was one of the milepoint customers that got gobbled up. About all I was using that for was getting magazine subscriptions with orphan miles. Seems the mag selection now isn't what it used to be. Points.com sends me e-mails (too many, in fact), but I generally don't even read them.

I think they really got off on the wrong foot with many customers by starting up with such horrible exchange rates. You really get taken to the cleaners. I realize that a lot of it is outside their control and AA is the only major airline really playing ball, but you still can't polish that meadow muffin.
Old Nov 16, 2007, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RustyC
I was one of the milepoint customers that got gobbled up. About all I was using that for was getting magazine subscriptions with orphan miles. Seems the mag selection now isn't what it used to be. Points.com sends me e-mails (too many, in fact), but I generally don't even read them.

I think they really got off on the wrong foot with many customers by starting up with such horrible exchange rates. You really get taken to the cleaners. I realize that a lot of it is outside their control and AA is the only major airline really playing ball, but you still can't polish that meadow muffin.
I don't mind the horrible exchange rates as long as they stop stealing points. If I do a swap, I expect the swap to complete. If they offer a referral bonus, I expect to get it.
Old Nov 16, 2007, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by Mr_Bigglesworth
I've had the same problem. Actually I made a purchase through the Priority club points link for an Ebay purchase on 2nd September. After about a month I emailed them and they replied saying ebay was no longer a partner.
Mine still hasn't posted... lots more chasing up needed I think.
Old Apr 12, 2008, 8:17 am
Original Poster

This is a follow-up. My July transfer just posted, 9 months late. However they somehow backdated the transaction:

07/22/07 POINTS.COM ELITE BONUS MILES 0 99 99
07/22/07 POINTS.COM MILEAGE TRANSFER 988 0 988

The other problems are still unresolved. However maybe they just have very poor service and are not dishonest after all.
Old Apr 12, 2008, 8:48 am

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
Points.com website would not transfer points to a legitimate Delta Skymiles account, saying registration was pending. Several emails and phonecalls elicited "Yes we will fix it" responses, but nothing ever got done. The Delta Skymiles number still shows up as "unregistered". I have given up
Old Apr 12, 2008, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by SingaporeDon
Points.com website would not transfer points to a legitimate Delta Skymiles account, saying registration was pending. Several emails and phonecalls elicited "Yes we will fix it" responses, but nothing ever got done. The Delta Skymiles number still shows up as "unregistered". I have given up
Funny you say that. It actually took about a month before they "recognised/confirmed" my skymiles number. Finally they did, but with Delta, it seems balances are only updated bi-weekly.
Old Apr 12, 2008, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by dfw_plt_aa
I signed up with points.com to get the sign-up bonus to keep the miles in a frequent flyer account from expiring. The miles have not shown up yet, so I may need to try a different vendor.
I had the same thing happen to me. Fortunately I will probably extend it myself anyway before it expires, but the experience totally turned me away from points.com(not the horrible conversion rates didn't do that by themselves). I wont do business with a company that wont even make good on a little 25 point bonus.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 6:29 am

I made a swap from something to e-Rewards and instead of posting as the $6 it was supposed to --- it posted as $5. I wrote and said "I want my dollar!" I didnt hear from them for a long time, wrote again and they said it would post soon ---- Never did. I gave up because it wasnt worth the trouble and I go the $1, I needed to cash out from e-Rewards itself. Dealing with points.com is like dealing with the miles/points mafia.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.