Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > S.P.A.M.
Reload this Page >

MyPoints [Master Thread]--NEW

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 23, 2016, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: viajero boricua
Additional Info about MyPoints

UA occasionally goes out of stock, but usually returns within a few days.
Print Wikipost

MyPoints [Master Thread]--NEW

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2012, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by Premier Monkey
Under "My Alerts" last week I received the following message:

You're one of MyPoints top members, so stay tuned — your rewards are getting amped up! Watch out for an email with more details.

Did anyone else get this? Have you received the email yet?
I got it too, and if I got it, maybe it's better to ask, "Did anyone not get this?"

Mike
Old May 29, 2012, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I didn't get one
Old May 29, 2012, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by mikeef
I got it too, and if I got it, maybe it's better to ask, "Did anyone not get this?"

Mike
I got it.
Old May 29, 2012, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Originally Posted by mikeef

Mike
I just looked and it's there...be interested to see what it is.

I only have ~3,000 points right now, but just dropped 300 dollars at petsmart and another 100 at FTD...hope I didn't spend too soon!
Old May 30, 2012, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by Saas
You have to search for the specific brand you are looking to stay in, such as Sheraton, Westin or W Hotels. Then click the link that says "2 Points per dollar"
2 mypoints per dollar isn't that good. One mypoint is the equivalent of about .6 to .7 cent (or $0.006 to $0.007) for most gift card redemptions. So you're getting the equivalent of about 1.2 to 1.4 cents per dollar spent for Starwood stays.

Remember that you can earn cash back on Sheraton (and other Starwood) bookings thru sites like ebates, Couponcactus, etc. Currently, ebates pays 3% cashback (more than double the value you get from mypoints).
Old May 30, 2012, 5:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by Mary2e
I didn't get one
Poor thing!
Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
2 mypoints per dollar isn't that good. One mypoint is the equivalent of about .6 to .7 cent (or $0.006 to $0.007) for most gift card redemptions. So you're getting the equivalent of about 1.2 to 1.4 cents per dollar spent for Starwood stays.

Remember that you can earn cash back on Sheraton (and other Starwood) bookings thru sites like ebates, Couponcactus, etc. Currently, ebates pays 3% cashback (more than double the value you get from mypoints).
Some people may have different priorities, may be trying to top off a MyPoints account, or may not have easy access to some of the cash back sites, but they do have easy access to MyPoints.
Old May 30, 2012, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Well, for all these years, I think I may have purchased 2 items via MyPoints. And that was years and years ago.

I just click on emails and get Hyatt certificates about every year. I use other portals to get miles.
Old May 30, 2012, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by kipper
....Some people may have different priorities, may be trying to top off a MyPoints account, or may not have easy access to some of the cash back sites, but they do have easy access to MyPoints.
Sure, but the poster who originally mentioned using Starwood stays as "the best way to rake in mypoints" (uxb) lives in the US according to his/her profile, so would presumably have "easy access" to cashback sites. Also, "raking in" is NOT the same thing as "topping off."

Everything in context! @:-)
Old May 30, 2012, 8:52 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Sure, but the poster who originally mentioned using Starwood stays as "the best way to rake in mypoints" (uxb) lives in the US according to his/her profile, so would presumably have "easy access" to cashback sites. Also, "raking in" is NOT the same thing as "topping off."

I dun see why my living in the US has anything to do w/ earning MyPoints for Starwood stays.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 7:57 am

Just because they live in the US doesn't mean they have easy access to cash back sites. I usually access any of these sites using my work computer, but often, the firewall will block some of the sites as SPAM. So, I don't have easy access to them.
Originally Posted by uxb
I dun see why my living in the US has anything to do w/ earning MyPoints for Starwood stays.
The discussion involved why earning MyPoints may or may not be the best option for hotel stays for some people.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 1:25 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
The discussion involved why earning MyPoints may or may not be the best option for hotel stays for some people.
*shrugs*
Old Jun 6, 2012, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just because they live in the US doesn't mean they have easy access to cash back sites. I usually access any of these sites using my work computer, but often, the firewall will block some of the sites as SPAM. So, I don't have easy access to them...
You don't consider using a computer at home (or perhaps elsewhere) to be "easy access" to these sites? Oh, well. Whatever.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uxb
*shrugs*
See post # 304 above. (BTW, you do know that you can follow links to quoted posts by simply clicking on the arrow next to the poster's name, right?)
Old Jun 6, 2012, 10:15 am

You don't consider using a computer at home (or perhaps elsewhere) to be "easy access" to these sites? Oh, well. Whatever.
If one has computer issues at home, then no, it wouldn't be easy access. Likewise, I wouldn't consider having to go somewhere outside of one's normal realm of activities to be easy access.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 7:26 pm

MyPoints Diminshed Quality Message of the Day:

"Due to circumstances beyond our control, online purchases made from 5/11/12-6/7/12 with Gap, Old Navy, Banana Republic, Piperlime and Athleta were not properly recorded. In order to receive your Points for the purchase(s) you made during this time frame, you will need to submit a proof of purchase/purchase confirmation to our Member Services department at [email protected] from the email address you use with MyPoints. We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience."

MyPoints. Lowering the bar on an almost daily basis.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.