Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > S.P.A.M.
Reload this Page >

MyPoints [Master Thread]--NEW

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 23, 2016, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: viajero boricua
Additional Info about MyPoints

UA occasionally goes out of stock, but usually returns within a few days.
Print Wikipost

MyPoints [Master Thread]--NEW

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2018, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
So it ended up taking only a few days.

Is the card value correct? Are there any onerous provisions in the T&Cs -- such as, a monthly maintenance charge that goes into effect right away?

BTW, I just checked and the $25 Visa egift now costs 3,850 points, but the $50 egift is still only 5,000. (The physical Visa cards are 4,050 and 8,020 points.)
Card value is correct. The virtual Visa card I got expires on 2019-1-31 and the terms say the following regarding a maintenance fee: "Monthly Maintenance Fee: $2.95 per month (Imposed beginning on the month following the expiration date; assessed until Card balance is zero)". I already used it up to pay a cell phone bill.

Too bad they increased the # of points for a $25 Visa egift card. It seemed too good to be true. A relative was going to get one too, but wanted to wait to see what happened with my order and now it's too late. Hopefully the $50 egift card will remain at 5000 points, but got to save up for awhile to reach that level.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by budster
Card value is correct. The virtual Visa card I got expires on 2019-1-31 and the terms say the following regarding a maintenance fee: "Monthly Maintenance Fee: $2.95 per month (Imposed beginning on the month following the expiration date; assessed until Card balance is zero)". I already used it up to pay a cell phone bill.

Too bad they increased the # of points for a $25 Visa egift card. It seemed too good to be true. A relative was going to get one too, but wanted to wait to see what happened with my order and now it's too late. Hopefully the $50 egift card will remain at 5000 points, but got to save up for awhile to reach that level.
Good to know. I redeemed for a $50 ecard today, and got the same "currently unavailable" error message reported by you and paynea, but my account statement shows the deduction of 5,000 points for a redemption of a "Visa $50 reward card," so, based on that and your experience, I'm not especially worried. I think this deal must be a special offer limited either by time or by number of redemptions or both. If I had enough points to redeem for another $50, I'd do it right away, but I'm not quite there yet; by the time I have enough points for the second $50 ecard, the deal will probably be gone.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 8:53 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Well, I just tried to redeem and got my account deactivated instead.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 5:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by uxb
Well, I just tried to redeem and got my account deactivated instead.
How did that happen?
Old Jul 11, 2018, 5:46 am
uxb

Originally Posted by kipper
How did that happen?
I topped out making a donation to the Nature Conservancy, then I went to redeem, and clicked $50 Visa. It kicked me to the login page, and boom - DEACTIVATED!
Old Jul 13, 2018, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by uxb

I topped out making a donation to the Nature Conservancy, then I went to redeem, and clicked $50 Visa. It kicked me to the login page, and boom - DEACTIVATED!
That's very weird. I assume you emailed them about it. Have you received a response?
Old Jul 13, 2018, 4:19 pm
uxb

That's very weird. I assume you emailed them about it. Have you received a response?
Apparently, they do this now with people who use VPN. I was on a public network at the time I banged out the redemption. As of today, still have yet to receive it.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by uxb
Apparently, they do this now with people who use VPN. I was on a public network at the time I banged out the redemption. As of today, still have yet to receive it.
I'm guessing they assume people who use a VPN are potentially from a country in which they do not allow participation?
Old Jul 16, 2018, 9:24 am
uxb

I'm guessing they assume people who use a VPN are potentially from a country in which they do not allow participation?
I suppose so. In any case, still did not receive the gift card, but the points were deducted from my account.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club

BTW, I just checked and the $25 Visa egift now costs 3,850 points, but the $50 egift is still only 5,000. (The physical Visa cards are 4,050 and 8,020 points.)
I've noticed a number of redemptions that work that way. You'd expect that $50 would be 2X $25, or even 1.95X$25. Instead it is often more than 2X.

I have been holding points for 5,000 UA miles. I have enough for 2,500 (6,900 points). I cannot see what the cost of 5,000 is. I'm hoping it's 13,800 or fewer. Anyone know?
Old Jul 26, 2018, 12:07 pm

Programs: Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Titanium, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by BamaVol
I have been holding points for 5,000 UA miles. I have enough for 2,500 (6,900 points). I cannot see what the cost of 5,000 is. I'm hoping it's 13,800 or fewer. Anyone know?
Yep, it's 13.8 K.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 12:19 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
I've noticed a number of redemptions that work that way. You'd expect that $50 would be 2X $25, or even 1.95X$25. Instead it is often more than 2X.

The slight discount for $25 or equivalent GCs seems to be a quirk of parent company Prodege, where SwagBucks has long given something of a discount on the first $25 GC you redeem in a month. Alas, you don't get the discount on PayPal redemptions on SB (or a discount for the United redemptions on MP)

As someone who has been burned a few times on United miles price increases, I'd say redeem as soon as possible since there's no limit on how many time you can cash that out.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
….

There must be something different about the device or environment you are using for MyPoints. When I look at redemption possibilities (either on a desktop or an iPad), I can see all the prices, including for things that cost more points than I have.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
There must be something different about the device or environment you are using for MyPoints. When I look at redemption possibilities (either on a desktop or an iPad), I can see all the prices, including for things that cost more points than I have.
It’s consistent across three devices for me: iPad, MacBook and Dell PC w/ Windows. Same from home as from work. I’m taking it personally.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 10:42 am

Programs: HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Bonvoy, Choice, IHG
I've really had a hard time with my account lately. I've reset my password at least 3 times in the last 5 months or so and I can't log in, but for some reason, I can to the daily 5 tasks and the click through emails without issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.