Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 24, 2016, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RichardInSF
Uber recently added functionality to tip in-app after rides are completed.

Your driver will appreciate it.

I'm sure they would -- but what percentage of people (outside of NYC where everyone bribes, uh, tips, for everything) are doing it?
Print Wikipost

Tipping Uber drivers

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2016, 9:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by gpeso8
When i'm using Lyft I tip frequently. If your standard of living is dependent on tips perhaps you should give Lyft (if Lyft serves your market) a try inasmuch as they make tipping much easier and less hostile than Uber.
+1 ^ I'm using Lyft wherever I can. The drivers and cars are great...I genuinely think they're better than Uber over the course of my 40-50 total rides. The drivers in Phoenix usually leave a small bottle of water in the back seat for the rider. (I've seen this on probably 2 out of every 3 rides.)

Lyft drivers see themselves as Lyft drivers first - every one I've talked to about this topic says they'd rather do Lyft runs all day long and only turn on their Uber app when there's no Lyft rider nearby. They don't always tell *me* "it's because of the tips"...instead they politely cite other benefits of Lyft...but I can read between the lines.

I guess by doing so, I'm furthering the tipping model at the expense of the no-tipping Uber model. Even though I know somewhere in this or another thread I've stated "I wish this entire market functioned efficiently for all actors involved without tips."

In any case, if Uber wants to move away from the no-tip model, they can do so at any time. They already have the code in there for UberTaxi. Probably wouldn't take too much effort to enable it for other categories. Whatever they decide, it doesn't change the fact that I'm never handing over cash.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by IraqVet505
You tip your server right? You tip your Barber Right? You tip your concierge, bellhop and Other staff at hotels right?.
If tips are what you want, perhaps getting one of these jobs that traditionally receive tips (in N. America) is what you should consider.

From Day One, an Uber ride has always been represented as a tipless one. You know this, I know this. If you get hired as a server at a Danny Meyers restaurant, you know you are not going to get tips because all of his restaurants are now tipless. So how would you feel if you went to dine at one of his restaurants, having been told that the menu price is the price, no tips required. Meanwhile, the servers whine and complain to you that they are not getting tips like "everyone else in the service industry".

Does that seem a bit silly to you?

Does it seem reasonable to wonder why, if the servers at Danny Meyers don't like his tipless policy, that they don't quit working at Danny Meyers and go to another restaurant that upholds a tipping policy?

Does it seem reasonable to wonder why servers even started working at Danny Meyers, knowing what his tipping policy is?

Last edited by kuroneko; Sep 23, 2016 at 11:40 am
Old Oct 9, 2016, 1:10 pm

I agree that "going above and beyond" warrants a tip. My question is - is driving me 4 long Brooklyn blocks (have a bad foot & ankle) "going above and beyond"? I feel very bad with that $7-8 fare. I've never tipped because I don't want to ruin the model for everyone but jeez. Would you tip if the driver wasn't taking you far?
Old Oct 9, 2016, 3:42 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ALittleSurreal
I agree that "going above and beyond" warrants a tip. My question is - is driving me 4 long Brooklyn blocks (have a bad foot & ankle) "going above and beyond"? I feel very bad with that $7-8 fare. I've never tipped because I don't want to ruin the model for everyone but jeez. Would you tip if the driver wasn't taking you far?
No. I drive for Uber and a lot of my fares are short, sometimes under a mile. I actually prefer those fares because they're over and done with quickly, I use a small amount of gas, and I'm back on the road earning quickly. I see no reason you need to tip for such a ride.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Aaand... Uber announces they're rolling out an in-app tipping feature.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA MM /Gold ; AS MVP Gold; SWA A LIst and CP; HH Gold; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Plat Elite
Originally Posted by alphaod
I won't tip on Uber; why I use it. Next thing I'm suppose to tip my FAs or the bus driver on the way to the rental car center?
Don't be so sure. This happened to us either in PHX or LAS. It was a few year ago so the exact destination is a little hazy.... Bus driver wouldn't let anybody off at the rental center. He squeezed past everyone back to the middle door, insisted on unloading the bags first before allowing people to get off. The expectation was that you hand him a tip for your bag as you got off the bus.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 5:11 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by lainys
Don't be so sure. This happened to us either in PHX or LAS. It was a few year ago so the exact destination is a little hazy.... Bus driver wouldn't let anybody off at the rental center. He squeezed past everyone back to the middle door, insisted on unloading the bags first before allowing people to get off. The expectation was that you hand him a tip for your bag as you got off the bus.
I always unload my own bags. I manage to successfully get them from my home to the bus and from the bus to the check-in counter so I certainly don't need help with that tiny portion of the journey.

If a driver prevents me from doing so then I'm not paying for it. I don't begrudge a smile and a "thank you" however.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 8:03 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, CBP Global Entry, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by javabytes
Uber announces they're rolling out an in-app tipping feature.
So sad to see. The great thing about Uber was the streamlined process...order, meet and go. The fare (with driver compensation) was predetermined in advance. Ride over, at destination, onto flight (or whatever), card charged, done. Many times I didn't even rate the driver unless they were extremely good or bad...it was so easy. I guess now if you don't tip, you'll become a low-rated ride, your customer score will plummet and no one will want to pick you up.

Amazing how such a promising company with such a great service has fallen so far so fast. [I get there are a lot of issues....not just this one].

Goodbye Uber.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 7:32 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Delta Platinum Medallion, AAdvantage Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by flyer703
So sad to see. The great thing about Uber was the streamlined process...order, meet and go. The fare (with driver compensation) was predetermined in advance. Ride over, at destination, onto flight (or whatever), card charged, done. Many times I didn't even rate the driver unless they were extremely good or bad...it was so easy. I guess now if you don't tip, you'll become a low-rated ride, your customer score will plummet and no one will want to pick you up.

Amazing how such a promising company with such a great service has fallen so far so fast. [I get there are a lot of issues....not just this one].

Goodbye Uber.
Goodbye Uber?

What will you replace Uber with?
Old Jun 22, 2017, 8:15 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by Miami305
Goodbye Uber?

What will you replace Uber with?
I'm using Via a lot more in NYC. Lyft is just as good as Uber in many markets. I'm using Uber now as I have a 50% discount.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 9:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Adelphos
I'm using Via a lot more in NYC. Lyft is just as good as Uber in many markets. I'm using Uber now as I have a 50% discount.
Don't you need a full carload to do Via? I was under the impression that a solo rider could end up in an uber-pool style ride, something I'm unlikely to do except in rare cases.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 9:58 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by pinniped
Don't you need a full carload to do Via? I was under the impression that a solo rider could end up in an uber-pool style ride, something I'm unlikely to do except in rare cases.
1) No. You put in your origin and destination - Via will try to add people along the route, but sometimes they don't. Lately, the vast majority of my rides have been completed with just me. Hard to beet a downtown to Midtown ride for $5.

2) I live in Battery Park and work in Midtown. Rides generally start with me downtown, so I just hop in the front seat. As long as I have the time, I don't really care if other passengers get in and hop in the back.

3) I go to work at 7 AM, so traffic isn't that bad
Old Jun 22, 2017, 11:07 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Uber is being super-aggressive with their pricing in NYC, particularly with their Ride Passes. Got one for $20 last month that got me $5 off every ride (which made UberPools to work in the morning free), and this month is $3.99 UberPools and $8.99 UberX rides for $20. The latter meant that my UberPool rides (both of which were nonstop, no other pax) to and from LGA last weekend were a total of $14, round trip. The tolls alone are $11, so Uber's taking a huge bath on those rides.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Uber is being super-aggressive with their pricing in NYC, particularly with their Ride Passes. Got one for $20 last month that got me $5 off every ride (which made UberPools to work in the morning free), and this month is $3.99 UberPools and $8.99 UberX rides for $20. The latter meant that my UberPool rides (both of which were nonstop, no other pax) to and from LGA last weekend were a total of $14, round trip. The tolls alone are $11, so Uber's taking a huge bath on those rides.
In addition to the management changes, Uber is facing intense compeition in a number of markets, including NYC. Especially in the summer as business tails off.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 1:13 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by Adelphos
In addition to the management changes, Uber is facing intense compeition in a number of markets, including NYC. Especially in the summer as business tails off.
Yup, competition is clearly tough, but their discounting/subsidy on Pool is also unsustainable. Happy to take advantage of it while it lasts, though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.