Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 24, 2016, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RichardInSF
Uber recently added functionality to tip in-app after rides are completed.

Your driver will appreciate it.

I'm sure they would -- but what percentage of people (outside of NYC where everyone bribes, uh, tips, for everything) are doing it?
Print Wikipost

Tipping Uber drivers

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2016, 7:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
Can you please provide the relevant source for this (mis)information?
The app itself.

They can say all they want about tipping or not-tipping. It doesn't matter, because nobody spends any time on Uber's website or paying attention to press releases or other statements made about their court cases or whatnot.

The app does not include tipping. Ergo, I know Uber's official stance on tipping. I know how they designed their platform and how they intended it to function all along. @:-)

By contrast, I also know Lyft's stance on tipping. It's completely different than Uber's. The differences in the positions of the two companies is completely apparent after 1 ride with each.

Side-bribing drivers with cash is a nonstarter. I'm simply never going to do it, ever.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by pinniped
The app itself.

They can say all they want about tipping or not-tipping. It doesn't matter, because nobody spends any time on Uber's website or paying attention to press releases or other statements made about their court cases or whatnot.

The app does not include tipping. Ergo, I know Uber's official stance on tipping. I know how they designed their platform and how they intended it to function all along. @:-)

By contrast, I also know Lyft's stance on tipping. It's completely different than Uber's. The differences in the positions of the two companies is completely apparent after 1 ride with each.

Side-bribing drivers with cash is a nonstarter. I'm simply never going to do it, ever.
Interestingly I've never used Lyft. Care to elaborate? Are they in your face about tipping?
Old Aug 31, 2016, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by mnscout
Interestingly I've never used Lyft. Care to elaborate? Are they in your face about tipping?
End of trip, you get a cost summary screen where there is a drop down for tip options.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mnscout
Not at all. Lyft drivers have always been great and never mention tipping.

It happens after you get out of the car: your screen pops up to rate the driver and, if you choose, leave a tip. It can be a $9 ride where you leave a buck or two. One click...simple.

From what I understand, drivers generally have to rate passengers before passengers have to rate drivers, so *your* rating should be unaffected by the tip.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
Not at all. Lyft drivers have always been great and never mention tipping.

It happens after you get out of the car: your screen pops up to rate the driver and, if you choose, leave a tip. It can be a $9 ride where you leave a buck or two. One click...simple.

From what I understand, drivers generally have to rate passengers before passengers have to rate drivers, so *your* rating should be unaffected by the tip.
I don't think the driver see the amount of tips until the next day in a summary sheet according to internet search. I think it is really a nice way of doing it. They don't know if you tip or not. There is no pressure of leaving a tip but you could if you want.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by Need
I don't think the driver see the amount of tips until the next day in a summary sheet according to internet search. I think it is really a nice way of doing it. They don't know if you tip or not. There is no pressure of leaving a tip but you could if you want.
That's awesome. I didn't know that...
Old Sep 3, 2016, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by Need
The driver will see a listing of the fares in a summary email the following day. Included in this is the pickup/destination and time, along with the fare and tip amount, if any. No names. So although it is unlikely that a driver will remember your particular trip, they may be able to identify you if they are diligent about logging, only did a few trips that day and/or have a good memory. Certainly also a good chance of identifying you if you were the first or last trip of the day.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 12:53 pm

Cash Tips for Lyft and Uber Driver

delete

Last edited by Jai7123; Sep 16, 2016 at 11:37 am
Old Sep 11, 2016, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by Jai7123
Hello.

Having worked in the service industry, cash is king for tips. It's immediate cash for Lyft and Uber drivers.

I make it a point to hand a couple dollars to the driver on my way out of the car.

It's up to them to report tips on their tax returns, none of my business.

Besides they don't have to wait to see if they were tipped, a Uber and Lyft don't get involved, they don't know/take a cut etc.

On a $20 - $25 trip, I'll hand the driver $3-$4. They really appreciate it.
And it's good karma.
No. Them not reporting taxes is definitely yours and my business. I'm being taxed for my legally earned and reported income and when the rates go up I get taxed the new rate. Them not reporting/paying is unfair to the rest of us. There's nothing Karma about it either. It's not like we're not paying them to drive. They don't like how much they're making driving for either companies? Don't drive for them. Go get a Taxicab license or black car service license.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by Jai7123
Hello.

Having worked in the service industry, cash is king for tips. It's immediate cash for Lyft and Uber drivers.

I make it a point to hand a couple dollars to the driver on my way out of the car.

It's up to them to report tips on their tax returns, none of my business.

Besides they don't have to wait to see if they were tipped, a Uber and Lyft don't get involved, they don't know/take a cut etc.

On a $20 - $25 trip, I'll hand the driver $3-$4. They really appreciate it.
And it's good karma.
Yes, it is my business to not knowingly aid someone's tax evasion. So no, I will not be tipping an Uber or Lyft driver with cash...ever.

Besides, cash is inconvenient for me. I don't carry it often, and I'm certainly not making it a precursor to using a rideshare service when one of the two dominant platforms intentionally built a no-tipping model and the other one enables tipping within its app.

Took a Lyft from PHX this morning and tipped a little over 20% in the app. No problem with that at all.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 6:31 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Uber drivers now have the option of getting their earnings immediately, it can be sent to their debit card or to an Uber supplied debit card.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 6:10 am

Programs: AA-EXP, BAEC Silver, Hyatt-Globalist, Hilton-gold, SPG-gold
My recent Uber ride had a sign on the seat suggesting that to get a 5 rating, you would need to tip him. I'd rather get a low rating then give in to a shake down
Old Sep 15, 2016, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by smitty06
My recent Uber ride had a sign on the seat suggesting that to get a 5 rating, you would need to tip him. I'd rather get a low rating then give in to a shake down
Please tell me you rated him a 1 *and* sent an email to Uber.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by smitty06
Wow! Did you snap a picture of it? Please post location, a picture of it, driver's name and car registration.

I've cancelled a few rides and complained to Uber in NJ where the driver is not who is pictured in the app. The car is correct but not the driver. When I asked, he said he's "trying" out the job using a "friend's" account. I wonder if these people are getting others to sign up on their behalf once they got kicked off due to low ratings.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by kulflyer
I've cancelled a few rides and complained to Uber in NJ where the driver is not who is pictured in the app. The car is correct but not the driver. When I asked, he said he's "trying" out the job using a "friend's" account. I wonder if these people are getting others to sign up on their behalf once they got kicked off due to low ratings.
My first question would be how many DUIs that driver has...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.