Using Uber while abroad

Old Sep 29, 14, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL, UA, US, AA, HHonors, Club Carlson, Kimpton
Using Uber while abroad

I will be traveling to Manila this week. Has anyone used Uber while abroad? If so, how does it work with an US cell phone (I would dislike very much to get charged for data roaming if I need turn data on). I have already contacted Sprint for texts/calls when Im abroad, and obviously my data roaming will remain off during my trip. Suggestions? Thanks!!

~Efilon87
Old Sep 29, 14, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, you'll need data for it to work...
Old Sep 29, 14, 1:25 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Could you hail from WiFi? Do you need data beyond just the hailing process?
Old Sep 29, 14, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by IsleOfMan View Post
Strictly speaking, you don't need data beyond the hailing process, and of course data doesn't care if it travels over cellular or wifi.

But you might want to be connected so you can track the driver as they approache your location so you can find each other or know if something happens that delays their arrival.

It works better if you have data service, IMO.

-David
Old Sep 30, 14, 6:48 pm
Suspended

I've used Uber in Bogota, Madrid, Amsterdam, and Paris.

I've had about 9 good experiences, and one bad.

Here's the issue: while technically you just need data/WiFi for the hailing, I highly recommend some scenario where you have data for the whole process.

Before I started using SIMs/buying data -- basically, the days when I only had WiFi - I hailed a cab from the lobby of the Park Hyatt Vendome in Paris using their wifi. Once Uber said "we're on our way, see you in 3 minutes" or whatever, we left.

We sat, and sat, and sat....nothing.

He's calling, we can't find him, blah blah blah.

Next thing we know I'm checking my AMEX statement and see a 45 euro charge...for thirty minutes or so of "waiting" - ha!

Über refunded me the money, but refunded it in euros, so I can't use it until next time I'm back in EU.

The reason I say "get data" is because, if we were connected the whole time, I would have been able to see his GPS coordinates and I would have known where he was.

Furthermore, I've had friends who weren't connected to data and the uber driver took them on the most convoluted/fee heavy route imaginable. Being able to track this on the phone would have been a huge perk.

So, yeah....doubt you "need" data for anything but the hailing...but now I make sure to have data so I can watch where driver is/where he's going/etc
Old Sep 30, 14, 7:16 pm

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
A data point. I was in Shanghai and used my Über app to check prices from the center of Shanghai (Puxi side) to the airport. . And the prices were higher than normal cab prices. And during my normal taxi drive to airport times they were multiples higher. That may work in the US but in Shanghai not so much.
Old Oct 4, 14, 1:00 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
So far I have used Uber in London,Manchester,Dubai and Delhi. Did not have any issues anywhere.
Old Oct 4, 14, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bear4Asian View Post
A data point. I was in Shanghai and used my Über app to check prices from the center of Shanghai (Puxi side) to the airport. . And the prices were higher than normal cab prices. And during my normal taxi drive to airport times they were multiples higher. That may work in the US but in Shanghai not so much.
Unless things have changed during the past 2 months, Uber has a flat fee of Y350 to PVG and Y200 to SHA. While that's 2-3x more than a taxi, the cars tend to be much nicer. And, in town pricing is quite reasonable. If you need a ride on a Friday night, even if it's not raining, Uber can be a godsend in SH. I dare say it works VERY well. (Beijing is a bit tougher because they don't have enough drivers yet.)
Old Oct 4, 14, 4:32 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Just used it in London a few weeks back, they have a flat rate for slightly longer trips. Had a lovely A8 L, perfect condition show up, drove is about 30 minutes back to the Sofitel at LHR and it was just flat 70 lb.
Old Oct 4, 14, 6:56 am

Programs: BA LTG GGL, SQ TPPS, CX DMP, Bonvoy LTT, ALL PLT
What happens when I change to a local sim card for data? I've done it once and it sent a confirmation code to my original cell phone to confirm it is still me. Have you had the same issue?
Old Oct 5, 14, 2:46 am

Originally Posted by pricesquire View Post
II hailed a cab from the lobby of the Park Hyatt Vendome in Paris using their wifi. Once Uber said "we're on our way, see you in 3 minutes" or whatever, we left.
did you figure out the problem with uber and PHV?

the doormen at PHV were well aware of that issue. For some reason, they default to going to the rear entrance of the hotel. When the doorman figured out I was waiting for an uber driver he used my phone to call them and tell them to come around to the front entrance .. but I had bought a local sim in Paris (Orange?), so I had data. With the data we had the drivers info right in the app. But you would have that with wifi at the hotel also. You are spot on about being able to track their location if you have a data connection.

Originally Posted by bagold View Post
What happens when I change to a local sim card for data? I've done it once and it sent a confirmation code to my original cell phone to confirm it is still me. Have you had the same issue?
I don't think uber cares about it, you might have to log back into the app though.

There are other apps that use your phone# that want you to reconfirm it, but they should do that with the new number. I think whatsapp does that, for example. I don't recall ever needing to do that with uber. You could just use the web interface if you wanted to, but it's not as good on the phone as the app. The app keeps getting better.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Oct 5, 14 at 2:57 am
Old Oct 7, 14, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Silver, Morton's VIP, Awesomeness EXPLT
I've used Uber in Bogota, Madrid, Amsterdam, and Paris.

I've had about 9 good experiences, and one bad.

Here's the issue: while technically you just need data/WiFi for the hailing, I highly recommend some scenario where you have data for the whole process.

Before I started using SIMs/buying data -- basically, the days when I only had WiFi - I hailed a cab from the lobby of the Park Hyatt Vendome in Paris using their wifi. Once Uber said "we're on our way, see you in 3 minutes" or whatever, we left.

We sat, and sat, and sat....nothing.

He's calling, we can't find him, blah blah blah.

Next thing we know I'm checking my AMEX statement and see a 45 euro charge...for thirty minutes or so of "waiting" - ha!

Über refunded me the money, but refunded it in euros, so I can't use it until next time I'm back in EU.

The reason I say "get data" is because, if we were connected the whole time, I would have been able to see his GPS coordinates and I would have known where he was.

Furthermore, I've had friends who weren't connected to data and the uber driver took them on the most convoluted/fee heavy route imaginable. Being able to track this on the phone would have been a huge perk.

So, yeah....doubt you "need" data for anything but the hailing...but now I make sure to have data so I can watch where driver is/where he's going/etc
The refund you received in Euro's should be converted back to your local currency when posted to your account.
Old Oct 8, 14, 11:43 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, Omni Black, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
I've used Uber in Los Angeles, New York, San Francisco, San Diego, Santa Barbara, Paris, London, Cape Town, Johannesberg and Orange County. The only "bad" experience I had was getting charged for a toll on the way to JFK when the driver took the Queensboro Bridge (no toll).

Originally Posted by IsleOfMan View Post
You can hail from WiFi. I did that many times in London and Toronto before T-Mobile introduced their free international data roaming.

The issue with having to watch the driver is a bit moot now that Uber added the function to input the destination. Then, they will be given the Google Maps directions and turn-by-turn navigation.

Originally Posted by stockmanjr View Post
The refund you received in Euro's should be converted back to your local currency when posted to your account.
And even sent back to your card.
Old Oct 9, 14, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by N1120A View Post
I've used Uber in Los Angeles, New York, San Francisco, San Diego, Santa Barbara, Paris, London, Cape Town, Johannesberg and Orange County.
I'm about to go to Johannesburg and Capetown as well and was hoping to use Uber for alot of transit while in town. I also have T-Mobile. How was your experience with Uber there? Also, I assume you had no problems with the local network using the app?

Thanks!
Old Oct 11, 14, 12:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by stockmanjr View Post
That's what I thought - but when I called Uber customer care, they said (and I'm paraphrasing): because the refund was in Euro, it stays in Euro.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: