Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using Uber while abroad

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2015, 4:13 am

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
I'm Aussie based and plan to use Uber on an upcoming trip to South America and the USA. I won't be using global roaming as it's very expensive here. So assuming I can order an Uber using wifi, what happens if the driver tries to call the number and no one answers? What if they can't find you?

When you order an Uber using wifi, is there a comments section where you can tell them you don't have a phone and where they can find you?
Old Sep 21, 2015, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by Tiki
I'm Aussie based and plan to use Uber on an upcoming trip to South America and the USA. I won't be using global roaming as it's very expensive here. So assuming I can order an Uber using wifi, what happens if the driver tries to call the number and no one answers? What if they can't find you?

When you order an Uber using wifi, is there a comments section where you can tell them you don't have a phone and where they can find you?
I would recommend narrowing your location down as close as possible to where you will be. I don't think there is a comments section, though. You would want to call or text, but it sounds like you won't be able to do that.

Some folks are able to use wifi calling apps (outside of hangouts) , and if that is possible, this may allow you to reach your driver. On an android phone, u can use hangouts to call but the quality varies and if wifi is spotty, the call may not complete. Plus the Uber app seems to want to route calls through the native calling app, not hangouts (even if it is set as default).

That said, some things to keep in mind is that u won't be able to text from another phone (or have someone do it for you) since the driver's actual phone number is masked. I also couldn't text using the google voice app, although my google voice number is listed on my account because, again, Uber wanted to use the native messaging app. There maybe around this but I gave up. lol

I've been in your situation and I have often requested an uber with my tablet but did not have a phone (or was roaming). I simply requested the uber once I was in the spot so I would make sure not to miss them. A few times, the uber would cancel on me but I was always able to request another one. If I noticed that the driver had some trouble finding me or attempted to call, I always apologized and informed them that my phone wasn't working. Just be sure to avoid surge times if you can, and you should be good.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by sbbi
BTW, if I log in to my wife's uber account on my phone where I normally login to my uber account, will Uber close either of our accounts? I remember I read some data points...

This was not an issue when I worked there a year ago. As an alternative, your wife (of you) can also log on to her account from her phone and request a ride for you. Just tell the driver who the rider is and you will be good.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 7:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

My uber experience is limited solely to the US and China. In the case of the former, calling the driver isn't even an option in some cities, but it's nice for them to able to call you. Meanwhile, in China, I wouldn't dream of using uber without a working phone because getting picked up in crowded areas requires voice capabilities.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 11:09 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Uber in Panama

I recently used Uber in Panama City, from the city to the airport (thanks to a $20 credit for first use). The car was nicer than the regular taxis, and it was actually slightly cheaper than airport taxis.

I used my hotel wifi to get Uber, and the driver had no problems locating me.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 8:29 am

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
I recently tried to use Uber in Peru - couldn't get it to work, and couldn't get my service inquiry answered. There are alteratives though, used Cabify in Lima and worked perfectly, including a 25 soles sign-up credit
Old Sep 22, 2015, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
French high court just upheld the ban on Uberpop in France. Normal Uber still works fine though.

http://www.france24.com/en/breaking/...haring-service

Meanwhile Blablacar is proving rather popular here. https://www.blablacar.fr/
Old Sep 22, 2015, 1:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
What is the difference?

What are all these different Ubers?
Old Sep 23, 2015, 3:13 am

Originally Posted by lurkgoddess
I would recommend narrowing your location down as close as possible to where you will be. I don't think there is a comments section, though. You would want to call or text, but it sounds like you won't be able to do that.

Some folks are able to use wifi calling apps (outside of hangouts) , and if that is possible, this may allow you to reach your driver. On an android phone, u can use hangouts to call but the quality varies and if wifi is spotty, the call may not complete. Plus the Uber app seems to want to route calls through the native calling app, not hangouts (even if it is set as default).

That said, some things to keep in mind is that u won't be able to text from another phone (or have someone do it for you) since the driver's actual phone number is masked. I also couldn't text using the google voice app, although my google voice number is listed on my account because, again, Uber wanted to use the native messaging app. There maybe around this but I gave up. lol

I've been in your situation and I have often requested an uber with my tablet but did not have a phone (or was roaming). I simply requested the uber once I was in the spot so I would make sure not to miss them. A few times, the uber would cancel on me but I was always able to request another one. If I noticed that the driver had some trouble finding me or attempted to call, I always apologized and informed them that my phone wasn't working. Just be sure to avoid surge times if you can, and you should be good.
I've only used Uber twice, once in MEL and once in BNE. Both times the driver texted me to clarify where we were although neither place was a crowded location. That's my main worry about using Uber overseas.

I probably will get a US sim card but it still wouldn't be the same number in my account and iirc, it's a bit of a pita to verify the phone number.

It's been over a year since we last used Uber so I was hoping they had some system in place for people who are using Uber outside their home country. All they need is some comment field where I could put "Standing in front of ABC Shop" or whatever. Our photo is in the Uber profile on both our accounts.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 4:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Tiki

I probably will get a US sim card but it still wouldn't be the same number in my account and iirc, it's a bit of a pita to verify the phone number.
Just sign up for a new account (and get a signup bonus to boot).
Old Sep 25, 2015, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
Just sign up for a new account (and get a signup bonus to boot).
I would but I have $25 USD credit in my Uber account that can't be used in Australia where I live.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 2:35 pm

Programs: HH D,CC,SPG,AZ: Gold;BA Silver, TK Elite
Used it twice in Sao Paulo today, both cases uber black

Timing is great, the cars are very good (though what is uber black would be probable the equivalent of uberX/uberExec)
First driver (Toyota Corolla)did not speak english but had translation apps when they wanted to make themselves understood.
Second driver (Hyundai Elantra) did speak a little english and had some sweets and coolers.

Both drivers were using the Waze app for getting around the infamous traffic in Sao Paulo
Old Oct 22, 2015, 1:54 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
So far used Uber in Paris and Budapest.

For Paris, I only used them for travel within the city as their pricing to/from CDG is higher than LeCab (who offers a good service for their price). Positives experiences with all the Uber drivers. Very friendly folks who would get out and open the door, including those who drive for UberX. I was lucky and got a Mercedes E Series for one of the UberX rides too!

For Budapest, I didn't use them from the airport as I didn't hear much about Uber in Budapest. The social media pages for them aren't very active, so I just took the taxi from the airport. However, I did use Uber a few times within the city and have to say it was an average experience. Half of the drivers were driving pretty fast so it was a bit uncomfortable for my liking. It's worth noting that only UberX is offered and the cars are all pretty small, so if you have any luggage you might be better off with a taxi or public transport (if this works for you).
Old Nov 16, 2015, 9:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond; United 1P; Marriott Silver; Hilton-Silver
Originally Posted by papyPiHi
Used it twice in Sao Paulo today, both cases uber black

Timing is great, the cars are very good (though what is uber black would be probable the equivalent of uberX/uberExec)
First driver (Toyota Corolla)did not speak english but had translation apps when they wanted to make themselves understood.
Second driver (Hyundai Elantra) did speak a little english and had some sweets and coolers.

Both drivers were using the Waze app for getting around the infamous traffic in Sao Paulo
Thanks for your post. We're heading to Brazil soon, so i'm considering using Uber. We Fly into Sao Paulo and will stay at the Grand Hyatt. Did you call Uber using mobile data or wifi? I won't have mobile data over there, so my only choice is wifi. If you did use wifi, how did you give the location to the driver? Also, did you get cash at the hotel ATM machine? I read that Sao Paulo and Rio airport ATMs have huge problems with ATM skimming, so I'm leaning toward going to the hotel ATM. Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by kimag; Nov 16, 2015 at 9:31 pm Reason: additional question
Old Feb 7, 2016, 3:58 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I'll be heading over to Costa Rica. Anyone has experience with Uber Costa Rica? I'm curious about the rates relative to taxis, and ease of getting one, say from the airport to town.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.