Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using Uber while abroad

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2014, 10:27 am

Interesting that it works over WIFI. I would never have guessed that.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 11:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bigsilverjet
Interesting that it works over WIFI. I would never have guessed that.
Uber needs data to run. WiFi provides data. Just like iMessage, Instagram, or the web, Uber too just needs a WiFi connect to work.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 2:33 pm

Mrs. now in Taipei for extended stay [got 2 bdrm apt via airbnb] and has been using it since her arrival this past Tuesday. Uber picked her up at airport, she's called them to drop off and pick up at Costco, and to/from visits to friends.

She says its comparable pricing to regular taxi service and excellent on time service. Plus driver helped with her bags at Costco. Airport pick up was a Benz, other vehicles primarily Camry....so far ^!
Old Oct 18, 2014, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by pricesquire
That's what I thought - but when I called Uber customer care, they said (and I'm paraphrasing): because the refund was in Euro, it stays in Euro.
Uber refunds in Euro. But if your Amex is American, they charged you in USD, so the refund of 45 EUR goes back onto the card and converted back into USD. And that sits as a credit on your card unless you request a check from Amex. The credit is usable for your whole bill - not just in Europe
Old Oct 20, 2014, 10:57 am

I've used Uber in Paris and Bangkok. No issues. I'd definitely recommend having data/voice if possible as I've had drivers call me when unable to find me.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 2:44 pm

Uber can also be request from a computer at http://m.uber.com.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by davie355
Uber can also be request from a computer at http://m.uber.com.
Will it work with:

1. prepaid mobile number? In other words, if you set up at home with mobile account but then travel overseas and use another mobile number that is local prepaid?
2. iPad on either wifi or cellular [without phone number]?
Old Oct 21, 2014, 6:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dtsm
Will it work with:

1. prepaid mobile number? In other words, if you set up at home with mobile account but then travel overseas and use another mobile number that is local prepaid?
2. iPad on either wifi or cellular [without phone number]?
Yes to both. You just need to be able to log into your account. Nothing else matters.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 6:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by joshwex90
Uber refunds in Euro. But if your Amex is American, they charged you in USD, so the refund of 45 EUR goes back onto the card and converted back into USD. And that sits as a credit on your card unless you request a check from Amex. The credit is usable for your whole bill - not just in Europe
Interesting.

It's not that I don't believe you, it's just that Uber told me the exact opposite thing. I quit pushing after the second call and figured I'd use the Uber credit next time I'm in Europe (a few days!).
Old Oct 21, 2014, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting.

It's not that I don't believe you, it's just that Uber told me the exact opposite thing. I quit pushing after the second call and figured I'd use the Uber credit next time I'm in Europe (a few days!).
Very strange but hope that it all works (worked?) out!
Old Oct 21, 2014, 7:22 am
Suspended

Very strange but hope that it all works (worked?) out!
You know, this happened in March, so I forget the details, but...

I believe instead of refunding my Chase Sapphire, they gave me a credit, in Euro, for my issue.

Uber customer service gave me a refund credit, in Euro. (Again, refused to let me use credit in the states).

I suspect I will use this credit in France next week.

So it sorta worked out?
Old Oct 21, 2014, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You know, this happened in March, so I forget the details, but...

I believe instead of refunding my Chase Sapphire, they gave me a credit, in Euro, for my issue.

Uber customer service gave me a refund credit, in Euro. (Again, refused to let me use credit in the states).

I suspect I will use this credit in France next week.

So it sorta worked out?
Wait - did they credit your Uber account or did they refund your charge?
Old Oct 25, 2014, 1:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by dtsm
Mrs. now in Taipei for extended stay [got 2 bdrm apt via airbnb] and has been using it since her arrival this past Tuesday. Uber picked her up at airport, she's called them to drop off and pick up at Costco, and to/from visits to friends.

She says its comparable pricing to regular taxi service and excellent on time service. Plus driver helped with her bags at Costco. Airport pick up was a Benz, other vehicles primarily Camry....so far ^!
This is awesome- taking Uber to Costco in TPE
Old Oct 25, 2014, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by beckoa
This is awesome- taking Uber to Costco in TPE
Two days ago, she got a 5 series BMW -- her thought was this guy using Uber to collect a pool of regular customers for his own account! She got his biz card for reference....smart guy!
Old Oct 25, 2014, 8:29 am
Suspended

Wait - did they credit your Uber account or did they refund your charge?
Former.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.