FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Using Uber while abroad
View Single Post
Old Oct 8, 2014, 11:43 am
N1120A

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
I've used Uber in Los Angeles, New York, San Francisco, San Diego, Santa Barbara, Paris, London, Cape Town, Johannesberg and Orange County. The only "bad" experience I had was getting charged for a toll on the way to JFK when the driver took the Queensboro Bridge (no toll).

Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
Could you hail from WiFi? Do you need data beyond just the hailing process?
You can hail from WiFi. I did that many times in London and Toronto before T-Mobile introduced their free international data roaming.

Originally Posted by pricesquire
Furthermore, I've had friends who weren't connected to data and the uber driver took them on the most convoluted/fee heavy route imaginable. Being able to track this on the phone would have been a huge perk.

So, yeah....doubt you "need" data for anything but the hailing...but now I make sure to have data so I can watch where driver is/where he's going/etc
The issue with having to watch the driver is a bit moot now that Uber added the function to input the destination. Then, they will be given the Google Maps directions and turn-by-turn navigation.

Originally Posted by stockmanjr
The refund you received in Euro's should be converted back to your local currency when posted to your account.
And even sent back to your card.