Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2018, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: AutoSlash
AutoSlash automatically searches thousands of coupon codes to find the best one that slashes your rental car rate!
How to use AutoSlash:
  1. Request a quote at https://www.autoslash.com/quote. You'll get an email usually within 10-15 minutes with the best rates (it takes a few minutes to scan through thousands of coupons!). The email will have a link to view your quote results. The quote will include the best rates (after discounts and coupons) from each major rental company that AutoSlash was able to find. Choose which one you want to book and you can then complete your reservation.
  2. If you've already booked a rental elsewhere (or after you book one through step #1 above), register your reservation at https://www.autoslash.com/track. AutoSlash will periodically check your reservation for lower rates and will email you if and when a lower rate is available.

AutoSlash searches and books two different types of rates:
  • "Pay Later" — retail pay-at-counter rates, just like the ones you can book directly at the rental car companies' websites, but with coupons applied to slash the rate
  • "Pay Now" — specially-negotiated "Slash Deals" prepaid rates that can often be a significant discount from retail rates
"Pay Later" rates are booked through affiliate travel sites. Currently, the main affiliate is Priceline, but additional partners may be added in the future. The quote from AutoSlash includes direct pre-discounted deep links to these affiliate sites so you can quickly and easily find and book the rate.
"Pay Now" Slash Deals rates are booked directly with AutoSlash.

FlyerTalk Advanced Questions (FAQs):

Is there a fee to use AutoSlash?
No, AutoSlash doesn't charge for its services.

How does AutoSlash stay in business, then?
AutoSlash gets a little bit of affiliate revenue from the booking links in the quotes.

What big evil corporation is behind AutoSlash?
None. AutoSlash is a bootstrapped start-up birthed by FlyerTalkers (and even still employing mostly FlyerTalk members) with an initial goal of automating what many FlyerTalk members were already doing (manually testing dozens or hundreds of coupon and discount codes for each rental) and now aiming to be the best and cheapest place on the Internet to book rental cars. There are no plans to shut down or sell out, but if someone wants to match or beat this offer...

Why do I have to provide my email address?
It takes a few minutes to scan through all of the different coupon and discount codes, so a real-time search system isn't really possible. An email alert will be sent when your quote is ready, usually within about 10-15 minutes.

Why haven't I still haven't gotten my quote after 15 minutes?
During periods of heavy demand, the system may get a little backed up. Quotes are generally processed in order of pick-up date (rates for rentals several months out usually don't fluctuate very often), though there's a bit of logic in the system to try to make sure that people don't wait too long (more than an hour or so) for a quote, even when AutoSlash is featured on national news money-saving segments. Also, if you request a quote that doesn't return any results (like trying to pick up off-airport at 3am or searching for a convertible in Duluth in January—yes, those are real requests), your request goes into a queue for manual review, where a support agent will review things to see if your quote can be adjusted to find a result. That should be processed within a few hours at most (but often much faster). Also, try checking your junk or spam folder. Some ISPs tend to be aggressive about bouncing AutoSlash quote emails; feel free to reach out to AutoSlash support to check on your quote email status if you can't find it.

How can I get support from AutoSlash?
[email protected] is the best way to get in touch. A support agent is usually online Monday-Friday 8am to midnight Eastern time and Saturday/Sunday 10am to 8pm Eastern time. During that time, you'll usually get a reply within five to 30 minutes or so and pretty much never more than an hour or two. Most agents are long-time FlyerTalk members, meaning your response generally comes from the perspective of a frequent traveler (if not an outright travel hacker), not some clueless offshore call-center script-reader. Since it's a small team, not to mention they're FlyerTalkers and often traveling themselves (and working from on-board wifi), phone support isn't currently provided. Messaging (privately) on Facebook works, too, with similar response time to email (it goes to the same support agents). Public Facebook wall posts and tweeting @autoslash on Twitter as well as posting in this thread aren't as fast (the support team doesn't monitor those, so they're not the best channels for individual support). (Original post)

Why should I use AutoSlash instead of just going directly to Priceline?
If you search on Priceline.com's homepage for a rental car rate, you'll just get the same rack rates that you'll find on the rental car companies' own sites (plus a mix of nonrefundable prepaid Express Deals rates). The pay-at-counter rates AutoSlash finds are different (and usually significantly lower) than the rates you'd find looking directly on Priceline due to the coupons and discounts AutoSlash applies.

Why are rates on AutoSlash the same or higher than what I've already found elsewhere?
Could be a couple of reasons. If any time has elapsed since you found the lower rate elsewhere, rates simply may have gone up. Compare rates within a few minutes of each other to make sure both results are fresh. A lower rate you found last week really means nothing if you compare it to a rate you found today. Also, make sure you're searching for the exact same itinerary--even adjusting the pick-up or drop-off time by one minute could affect rates, sometimes drastically, especially with all of the rate management games the rental companies engage in these days. Make sure, too, you're searching the exact same location--a small difference in location can be easily overlooked when searching for off-airport rentals. The easiest solution is to book what you found elsewhere and then submit it for price tracking—that way, it's assured to be an apples-to-apples comparison. If you found or booked the lower rate elsewhere within the last hour and AutoSlash can't beat it, there's probably something wrong somewhere. Reach out to [email protected] for assistance and you're virtually assured to come out with an even lower rate.

Are reservations I book through Priceline refundable?
The Pay Later rates AutoSlash finds are not prepaid and generally don't even require providing a credit card (a few exceptions apply depending on company and location—no-show fees are starting to make some appearances). Be sure to look for rates marked "Pay Later," "Pay At Counter," "Free Cancellation," or similar, or just avoid booking anything that asks you to enter a credit card number, to avoid accidentally booking one of Priceline's prepaid and nonrefundable Express Deals. If you match the rate AutoSlash quotes exactly (i.e. AutoSlash quotes a rate with Alamo of $142.62, and you find a rate with Alamo on Priceline of $142.62), then it should be fully cancelable without a penalty.

Why do I have to prepay now? Why did you change?
Nothing's changed—only a new, extra option! AutoSlash still searches the same pay-at-counter rates it always has, and they're still in your quote (marked as "Pay Later" and bookable via major online travel agencies). In addition, AutoSlash now also offers the option to directly book highly-discounted prepaid rates, which are often lower (they're marked in your quote as "Pay Now" or "Slash Deals"). But prepaying for your rental doesn't mean you're trading flexibility—prepaid Slash Deals rates can be canceled for a full refund up to 48 hours before the scheduled pick-up time.

Are prepaid Slash Deals rates booked directly through AutoSlash refundable?
Slash Deals reservations can be canceled up to 48 hours before pick-up (in the local time zone of the rental office) for a full refund without a penalty. Within 48 hours of pick-up, cancellations are subject to a cancellation fee equal to 1 day's charges. After the pick-up time, reservations are nonrefundable.

I booked a prepaid Slash Deal. What if my flight is canceled or the rental agency won't rent me a car?
The cancellation fees are set by contract between the car rental companies and the booking vendor AutoSlash uses. AutoSlash has a limited ability to request exceptions to the cancellation policy but can't guarantee refunds. AutoSlash recommends you always carry a good travel insurance policy to help minimize issues with prepaid travel arrangements. (Original post)

Can I add my loyalty program to a prepaid Slash Deals reservation?
Unfortunately, there isn't a way to do this (though it's understandably important to most people on FlyerTalk!). However, due to the way National's program works, you can still receive your Emerald Club benefits on prepaid bookings--just book and then use National as normal, including skipping the counter and choosing a car from the Emerald Aisle or Executive Selection as applicable, and the agent at the exit gate will associate the rental to your Emerald Club account using your driver's license number. While not guaranteed, rental credits (including One-Two Free hits) should post normally. To date, no one's posted any experiences attempting this with other rental companies (please post if you try this!).

Are prepaid Slash Deals safe to book? Can I trust AutoSlash?
The booking vendor behind prepaid Slash Deals rates, Connexions Loyalty, is one of the largest vendors in this sector. They power the booking portals for many major financial institutions' rewards portals, including Citi ThankYou Points and (until recently) Chase Ultimate Rewards, both products used by tens of thousands of FlyerTalk members (so hardly a fly-by-night operator). Connexions has robust contracts with the rental car companies for rates and inventory. At no point does AutoSlash ever have access to your credit card information; the travel.autoslash.com subdomain for booking Slash Deals rates is actually hosted by Connexions.

What happened to the grid?
The previous booking platform AutoSlash used was discontinued (it was a division of Travelocity that got bought by Orbitz and eventually folded into Expedia and then sunsetted). AirportRentalCars.com, a subsidiary of Priceline, does have a grid that actually works reasonably well, but their support for coupons and discounts is broken at the moment--hopefully they'll get it fixed at some point. Most other sites out there we've found with grids have half-baked or zero support for coupons and discounts, making them a non-starter.

Known Issues and Workarounds:

Off-airport rate not found: Occasionally, a rate AutoSlash finds in an off-airport quote request won't show up when you click on the Priceline link. This is usually due to Priceline's default search not including the location AutoSlash found. (Priceline dynamically adjusts their search radius based on a number of factors, and they also always search from the geographic center of the city, regardless of ) The current best workaround is to take the Priceline URL and append &radius=25 to the end, which will force Priceline to show all locations within 25 miles of the city center (this can be hundreds of results). You can use the filters on the left sidebar to help narrow down the results and make it easier to find the rate you're looking for. (Original post)

Customizing tracking results: AutoSlash support agents can adjust the reservation parameters (date/time/location/car size/membership affiliations/etc.) as well as filter out specific rental car companies and disable searching for prepaid rates. Reach out to [email protected] or reply to your tracking confirmation or offer email for help with this.

Feature Requests:
  • User profiles -- it's coming--slowly, yes, but it's finally on the development timeline
  • Mobile-friendly design -- in progress
  • App -- not much benefit to one until user profiles are rolled out. Let's get mobile-friendly design perfected first.
  • Retain membership/affiliation choices in a cookie -- RESOLVED
Print Wikipost

Autoslash (General Discussion)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2023, 9:47 am

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
Any free additional drivers for renting in Australia?

I was quoted and paid for an Autoslash price for a Europcar rental in SYD. But wasn't given any options to add additional drivers.
Going to Europcar's official webpage, I can pull up the same rate give or take a few dollars. But lots more options to choose/add on.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 10:17 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by JordanWalker
Any free additional drivers for renting in Australia?

I was quoted and paid for an Autoslash price for a Europcar rental in SYD. But wasn't given any options to add additional drivers.
Going to Europcar's official webpage, I can pull up the same rate give or take a few dollars. But lots more options to choose/add on.
No free additional drivers for Europcar Australia that we're aware. Adding an additional driver at the rental counter to an AutoSlash booking should be the exact same price if you added it at the time of booking at the Europcar website.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, Marriott Tit
A few questions about extending rentals and returning late:

I'm currently renting a car from Hertz, originally booked for 5 days (5pm pickup and 1pm dropoff) via Priceline link from AS tracking, with AMEX plat CDP. Yesterday I extended the rental online for an extra 2 days (with 5pm dropoff time) for only about $2.50 more, since I was already paying the weekly rate. I can't extend further online ["We appreciate your request to extend the rental however, the location requires you to return the car to renting location or to any corporately owned location for extension."]. Paper rental record shows $43.76 per extra day.

1) Would I be entitled to return the car at 9pm on 7th day for no extra charge using the AMEX plat perk? Or would I incur the extra day charge?
2) Is the extra day charge still the same on the extended reservation?
3) If I return it after 9 days before 5pm, would that cost just 2 extra days (plus misc fees & taxes)? Or is this a terrible idea, possibly resulting in Hertz calling the police? I imagine they would try to contact me first.

I've made another 2-day reservation beginning a half hour after the current 5pm dropoff (and using the 4-hour AMEX plat perk) for about $150. So, if I have to extend my stay, I plan to return the car at 5pm on the 7th day, and see if I can extend using the current extra day charge (and if so, cancel the 2nd reservation). Alternatively I can try to call the Hertz national, or the l pickup location - but am not sure if that is likely to produce any results.

Thoughts?
Old Jan 19, 2023, 12:42 pm

We hesitate to guarantee anything because rental systems can sometimes behave in unpredictable ways, especially around carve-outs like the 4-hour grace period for the Amex Plat, but our guess would be that if you originally picked up the rental at 5pm, and were booked with the Amex Plat CDP, you'd have until 9pm to return on your extended return day.

As for your other questions, it gets more into speculation, but we'd guess that additional days would be charged at the $43.75 per day rate. Typically Hertz would not call the police for a rental that is 2 days late, but given all of the high profile cases that have been in the news over the past year or so with customers being arrested, that is definitely NOT something we'd recommend taking a chance with.
SFOTerry likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, Marriott Tit
Originally Posted by AutoSlash
As for your other questions, it gets more into speculation, but we'd guess that additional days would be charged at the $43.75 per day rate. Typically Hertz would not call the police for a rental that is 2 days late, but given all of the high profile cases that have been in the news over the past year or so with customers being arrested, that is definitely NOT something we'd recommend taking a chance with.
Thanks for the response. Now we are definitely needing a car until 1pm on the 9th day. Calling the local agency phone # does not allow me to speak to a rep. However, now the website allows me to extend the reservation for 2 days at an additional cost of $1,060+. I don't think so. Is there any possibility that keeping the car the extra 1.75 days would incur a cost like that versus the originally quoted extra day charge x 2 ? If I had to return my current vehicle, I'd rather do so early tomorrow morning (want to watch the football games), but there are only vans & pickups available at that time for high $$$ (this is OGG - when I picked up the car last Saturday, there were only pickups in the PresCircle area, I had to go to the gold desk to get an Impala). Alternatively, I could drive to OGG around 5pm tomorrow to return & pickup my alternate reservation for 2 days for around $130. Decisions, decisions.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 3:01 pm
jmw

I've never been unlucky enough to see the following before:

YOUR REQUEST HAS BEEN ADJUSTED
Rental companies are requiring a minimum rental duration for your requested rental. In order to find availability, we had to extend your return date/time.

Note that you can return the rental at your originally scheduled time, and if you reserve a pay-later rental there's a good chance you will receive a credit for the unused period, but the rental company may still charge for the full period.
Is the extended return period a fixed duration or does the computer keep adding a day until there is one rental car available?
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2023, 2:51 am

Programs: UA, AA, Hyatt
Hi all, hope this isn't too off topic. I'm a huge fan of AutoSlash, I always use them for rentals and have saved thousands of dollars over
the years.

I've got an upcoming trip renting at Barcelona airport. A friend has offered to share a rental car rather than both renting and driving to
our destination a few hours away. I've never rented with someone else and am finding it hard to find information! First, is there any filter
that would allow me to see the price when adding an additional driver to my booking? Didn't see one in AutoSlash or Priceline but maybe I'm
missing something?

Alternatively, do the rental companies have standard fees (I'm assuming per day) for an additional driver?

It seems like most membership schemes allow free additional driver but only a spouse, so that won't help, but I'm a member at all major companies (and after hearing friends' horror stories at Spanish local rental agencies, am planning on sticking with the international brands if possible)

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on how to not get completely gauged for having an additional driver that isn't a spouse.
Old Feb 4, 2023, 7:26 am

I am glad to have discovered this product here in FT. It has served me well.

If in a 'western' country, I generally do not purchase insurance, as I think my credit cards provide acceptable coverage. For other countries, where the 'rules' are not as clear regarding collisions, etc., I'll purchase coverage.

I just rented a car for the Middle East. AutoSlash provided better pricing than my other gotos. I did chose to purchase insurance. Apparently insurance is charged immediately, but appears to be refundable if I cancel the rental. I wonder how one goes about getting the refund for the insurance charge?
Old Feb 4, 2023, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by lamphs

If in a 'western' country, I generally do not purchase insurance, as I think my credit cards provide acceptable coverage. For other countries, where the 'rules' are not as clear regarding collisions, etc., I'll purchase coverage.

I just rented a car for the Middle East. AutoSlash provided better pricing than my other gotos. I did chose to purchase insurance. Apparently insurance is charged immediately, but appears to be refundable if I cancel the rental. I wonder how one goes about getting the refund for the insurance charge?
It depends on where you booked as we typically offer multiple options. Did you book direct through AutoSlash or via Priceline?

Was it prepaid or pay-at-counter?

Last question--can you confirm that you purchased insurance at the time of booking?
Old Feb 5, 2023, 7:14 am

It depends on where you booked as we typically offer multiple options. Did you book direct through AutoSlash or via Priceline? Priceline as recommended by AutoSlash e-mail.

Was it prepaid or pay-at-counter? Pay at counter.

Last question--can you confirm that you purchased insurance at the time of booking? Yes, it was an option, and best to do it while it was on my mind. Yes, my credit card was charged for the insurance (Allianz). The Priceline website indicated that it was refundable. 'Protection is fully refundable up until your requested pick-up time.' While I don't expect my plans to change, my question is what if I needed the fee refunded prior to picking up the vehicle? Go through Priceline, go through Allianz?
Old Feb 8, 2023, 12:48 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Isn't that just the insurance price line offers on all rentals ?

I think I would prefer to have the insurance through the rental car company than through Allianz.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 10:39 pm

Priceline as recommended by AutoSlash e-mail.

Pay at counter.

Yes, it was an option, and best to do it while it was on my mind. Yes, my credit card was charged for the insurance (Allianz). The Priceline website indicated that it was refundable.
While I don't expect my plans to change, my question is what if I needed the fee refunded prior to picking up the vehicle? Go through Priceline, go through Allianz?
Generally, if you cancel your Priceline reservation, it is pretty seamless--I think it will either automatically cancel your Allianz policy or give you the option to cancel/refund your Allianz policy.

If you want to cancel your Allianz policy without canceling the Priceline reservation, I believe that is doable, but you'd need to contact Allianz to do that.

Originally Posted by lougord99
Isn't that just the insurance price line offers on all rentals ?

I think I would prefer to have the insurance through the rental car company than through Allianz.
Yes, it's Priceline's general offering and isn't related to AutoSlash at all.

As far as buying the Allianz policy versus CDW from the rental company, the latter is a bit more seamless (hand the keys and walk away vs filing a claim with an insurer that may put up a fuss about covering the entire bill) but it's also usually quite a bit more expensive to buy it from the rental company than from third party insurers.
lamphs and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 9:25 am

As far as buying the Allianz policy versus CDW from the rental company, the latter is a bit more seamless (hand the keys and walk away vs filing a claim with an insurer that may put up a fuss about covering the entire bill) but it's also usually quite a bit more expensive to buy it from the rental company than from third party insurers.
Just a followup. And this regards an Enterprise rental at AMM. There is probably some value to the above if you know the CDW price from the rental company, in advance. AutoSlash provided a great rental rate for me. And I bought the insurance from Allianz as I posted previously. When picking up the car, I had a lengthy back and forth re: insurance. The agent insisted that I could cancel Allianz if I bought Enterprise's CDW. He would not give me the price of the CDW. I asked him why Allianz would allow me to cancel AFTER I started the car rental. Paraphrasing - "it happens all the time". "Would you put that in writing so Enterprise would refund me if Allianz won't?" "Well, no." After 15 minutes, he told me that he'd have to place a 350 JOD hold on my credit card in lieu of Enterprise's CDW. I said 'whatever works; not an issue for me'.

FYI...
AutoSlash and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Is there a way to make requests that are for LOCAL PICKUP to somehow avoid the $40-80 TRANSPORTATION surcharges that some firms, companies apply? Is there a setting in the AS request form for this, or the ultimate Priceline order that could reduce these fees for local pickup reservations.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

Can you explain this? Some U.S.-issued credit cards specifically identify those few countries where the card's rental-car coverage does not apply. As long as you are not renting in one of those countries, I'm not sure what the benefit is of buying insurance from a third party like Allianz.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.