Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Religious Travelers
Reload this Page >

Kosher eats in Heathrow and London & Jewish tourist suggestions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kosher eats in Heathrow and London & Jewish tourist suggestions

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2011, 8:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Liba
craz thank you!!! That is exactly the type of thing I was looking for. Do you know if the dairy is cholov yisroel? I read through the site, but couldn't see anything mentioned.

Thank you!!

fwiw google seems to say that it is all good. I emailed them to confirm as well!

Thanks.

If my memory is still in tact I believe it is Cholov Yisroel when it comes to the Dairy. Its under Kedissia which is a very strict hecsher over there the top and best. I just cant see them having Cholov Stam especially in Europe where most people hold its Cholov Ackom and not Stam like many do over here

btw in case you wanted to order something for dinner just access www.hermolis.com and checkout their whole menu, just make sure you dont order from the China menu = you will be purcahsing the actual dishes and they arent cheap, my friends who go on biz and expense the food do order the meals on the china, no need to IMO.

if you go for dinner as well make sure to ask that they bring everything 1 time otherwise they may just bring it in 2 different deliverys and you will end up paying twice for that. If your hotel has a freezer or fridge there should be no problem with them putting it in them as the food is properly wrapped knwoing who will be handling them , no different then on the plane
Old May 5, 2011, 2:05 am

Is kosher cadbury in Europe only eaten by chalav stam drinkers or do people follow R' Tzvi Pesah Frank's kuola of the decree not applying to milk powder?

When I was in Europe the Jews I stayed at would drink chalav yisrael but eat cadbury chocolates. Never asked them why.
Old May 5, 2011, 9:20 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Hermolis is definitely cholov yisroel. No question at all. As with all other kedassia caterers. KLBD and KF restaurants, bakeries and caterers are also only cholov yisroel, but KLBD gives a hechsher to PRODUCTS (not restaurants, bakeries or caterers) which are not cholov yisroel.
Old May 5, 2011, 11:49 am

I contacted the hotel (Comfort Hotel... the cheapest place we could find for a family of six near Heathrow) to make sure it would be okay to have the food delivered before we got there (Hermolis delivers from 1-5pm and we aren't going to be getting to the hotel much before 10pm) and this was their reply:

"Good evening,

My manager has just come back to me and what he says is that due to health and safety reasons we are unable to accept any food delivery unfortunately."

So I guess we are back to square one. Argh!
Old May 5, 2011, 12:50 pm

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
My manager has just come back to me and what he says is that due to health and safety reasons we are unable to accept any food delivery unfortunately."

Not necessarily at all. I would suggest phoning Hermolis and speaking to them. They deliver to hotels all over the UK and know the industry 'language'. They are certified by the highest food standards and all packages come with full reheating instructions for the hotels. They will be able to contact the relevant people in the hotel for you. Based on my own experience, they would probably manage to get the hotel to take the meals.
Old May 5, 2011, 1:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mikebg
Not necessarily at all. I would suggest phoning Hermolis and speaking to them. They deliver to hotels all over the UK and know the industry 'language'. They are certified by the highest food standards and all packages come with full reheating instructions for the hotels. They will be able to contact the relevant people in the hotel for you. Based on my own experience, they would probably manage to get the hotel to take the meals.
+1 the hotel mgr might have thought its raw meat etc , and not know its already cooked and in sealed pkgs and/or they have a restaurant and want the business not realizing that they wont get a dime of it no matter what
Old May 5, 2011, 1:34 pm

Thank you. I emailed the hotel again, including links to Hermolis' health certifications.

I hope it helps!
Old May 5, 2011, 2:12 pm
Suspended

Thank you. I emailed the hotel again, including links to Hermolis' health certifications.

I hope it helps!
why didnt you email Hermolis and ask them to call the Hotel and see if they could work things out, its to Hermolis's benefit as well for future customers who may want to stay at that Hotel as well
Old May 5, 2011, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by craz
why didnt you email Hermolis and ask them to call the Hotel and see if they could work things out, its to Hermolis's benefit as well for future customers who may want to stay at that Hotel as well
I did that too. I forwarded them the email from the hotel and explained to them what was going on.
Old May 7, 2011, 7:24 pm

Programs: LY Plat, BMI DC Gold, VS Gold, Hertz #1 Club Gold, Sixt Plat
I contacted the hotel (Comfort Hotel... the cheapest place we could find for a family of six near Heathrow) to make sure it would be okay to have the food delivered before we got there (Hermolis delivers from 1-5pm and we aren't going to be getting to the hotel much before 10pm) and this was their reply:

"Good evening,

I've never had a problem with any hotel in the UK not accepting Hermolis meals, although I've never had them delivered in, but have brought them along myself, and then had them stored in the hotel freezer until needed.
As suggested above, ask Hermolis to contact the hotel, and everything should hopefully be ok
Old May 8, 2011, 11:07 am

Good news, I won!!

"Good evening

Sorry for not coming back to you earlier, I was just waiting for my manager's answer. He confirmed you can place an order to be delivered to the hotel. Please let me know once you do it, so that I will make a note in our log book. He also noticed that there would be a charge should you need to warm up the food or eat it in the restaurant.

Kind regards,"

We have no intention of eating in the restaurant and I am more comfortable not heating stuff there either so I think we will be just fine! Now I just have to decide which of the hundreds of foods we should order.

Do you think we can get past security with the meals? We are checking in at ~8:30am for 11:15am flights, 1:15pm our old time, so lunch would be nice, but I don't want to push our luck or have to throw out good food!
Old May 8, 2011, 12:37 pm
Suspended

Happy to hear it worked out.

Which are you flying out of London and to where, since BA uses Hermolis as do almost every Carrier but you arent fed on a European flight unless in Biz. So if youre heading to TLV on BA (dont think so due to yur departure time) nothing to worry about. Not 100% sure if ElAl uses Hermolis as well

Good news, I won!!

"Good evening

Sorry for not coming back to you earlier, I was just waiting for my manager's answer. He confirmed you can place an order to be delivered to the hotel. Please let me know once you do it, so that I will make a note in our log book. He also noticed that there would be a charge should you need to warm up the food or eat it in the restaurant.

Kind regards,"

We have no intention of eating in the restaurant and I am more comfortable not heating stuff there either so I think we will be just fine! Now I just have to decide which of the hundreds of foods we should order.

Do you think we can get past security with the meals? We are checking in at ~8:30am for 11:15am flights, 1:15pm our old time, so lunch would be nice, but I don't want to push our luck or have to throw out good food!
Old May 8, 2011, 12:43 pm

Programs: LY Plat, BMI DC Gold, VS Gold, Hertz #1 Club Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by craz
Happy to hear it worked out.

Which are you flying out of London and to where, since BA uses Hermolis as do almost every Carrier but you arent fed on a European flight unless in Biz.
And since when was this, craz? All carriers will serve meals (even in economy), as long as they are serving meals in general on the plane (ie, if it's a short flight, and there's just a general snack, they won't serve a full kosher meal). Otherwise, practically all of them, excluding LY, will serve Hermolis...
Old May 8, 2011, 12:57 pm

We are flying TLV to LHR to BOS, all on BA. I know everyone will get fed on the plane, but I want the kids fed before boarding because hungry kids are grumpy kids and no one wants to fly with grumpy kids.

We may well get the same food on the plane, but that doesn't bother me. If I do the ordering we can get food that I know they will eat. Airplane food is the luck of the draw IME.
Old May 8, 2011, 2:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sn1ke
And since when was this, craz? All carriers will serve meals (even in economy), as long as they are serving meals in general on the plane (ie, if it's a short flight, and there's just a general snack, they won't serve a full kosher meal). Otherwise, practically all of them, excluding LY, will serve Hermolis...
I was referring to the LCCs out of Lutton or Stansted where its BOB, I think EasyJet might be it

Ive been on short hauls within Europe and was told no KSML or for those really short ones nothing at all meal wise

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.