Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Religious Travelers
Reload this Page >

Kosher eats in Heathrow and London & Jewish tourist suggestions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kosher eats in Heathrow and London & Jewish tourist suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2008, 3:29 pm

gr8aunt,

Selfridge now carries kosher sandwiches (and some salad) from a kosher deli called Adafina. Mainly fleishig, but better quality (though slightly pricier) than DD's, IMO. Food hall entrance is along Baker St, across from M&S. Very conveniently, there is a Starbucks right across from Selfridges (on the other side of Oxford St across from the Selfridge main entrance), where there is a seating area downstairs. Good for self-conscious people who may not feel comfortable eating food brought in from outside.

You may be able to find DD's sandwiches at some coffee shops (I think it was Cafe Nero) on at Heathrow. Reuben's (think deli) is the other option in West End. You can also get sandwiches for takeaway from Bevis Marks (about GBP5). While the main courses are pricey (GBP15-20), appetisers are reasonable, and their parve desert is so unbelievable.

I strongly recommend Bevis Marks synagogue--the oldest synagogue in UK--near Liverpool St Station for a visit. Also I took a photo of my family under the street sign Old Jewry (just north of Eastcheap between St Paul's and Bank).

Shame as Jewish Museum is not currently open (supposed to move to a new Jewish Community Centre but the whole plan seems scrapped), but Gilbert Collection in Somerset House has good sterling Judaica collection, as well as V&A.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for additional comments but where is my PM???

I'm so glad I came back to this site as I didn't think anyone else would post, so, thanks, W9London, for your suggestions re Selfridges and the Starbucks nearby...that sounds perfect. We are going to Israel the next day so I'll save looking at Judaica collections when we go to the Israel Museum.

FF...what PM??? I haven't received any email from Flyertalk other than when I originally registered.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 8:27 pm

Programs: WoH Globalist, AA Platinum Pro, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hertz Prez's Circle
Golder's Green

I'd definitely recommend Golder's Green for a lot of Kosher food options. Also, I recommend you check out Gabriel's Wharf on the South Bank, near the Waterloo stop on the tube. This was slightly off the beaten path when I spent time in London. I wonder if more people frequent the area these days. I remember it being a great walk. There are street performers, book sales, tons of shops/restaurants, etc. Enjoy!
Old Aug 27, 2008, 9:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by W9London
Selfridge now carries kosher sandwiches (and some salad) from a kosher deli called Adafina.
Here's the source, where you can browse all their products. They have a good selection at their store (on Abbey Road, the home of the famous Beatles' zebra-crossing):
http://www.adafina.co.uk/
Old Aug 28, 2008, 1:06 am
FF

Programs: BA GGL / AAdvantage Million Miler + Plat / TK Gold (not any more) / Hilton Diamond (via GGL)
Originally Posted by gr8aunt
FF...what PM??? I haven't received any email from Flyertalk other than when I originally registered.
PM = Private Message. If you look near the top right of the screen - just above where it says "Quick Links" and "Log Out" you will see something like:

Welcome, gr8aunt.
You last visited: Yesterday at 5:38 pm
Private Messages: Unread 1, Total 1.

Click on "Private Messages" and you'll see mine.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 10:10 am

Programs: LY Silver, BA Silver, VS Silver, EK Silver
Reubens upstairs is a 'quick' eat rather than a full service restautant. Chicken soup and a few dishes are ready hot and waiting - whole thing can be done in 15 mins.
Old Sep 9, 2008, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

Sorry, but when I tried to respond via a PM it didn't recognize your name (FF). What a nice offer...thank you. My sister has never been to England and we plan to see "everything" (lol) in the short time we have. Thank you so much for offering to be our tour guide but we will be playing it by ear and don't want to be tied down to meeting someone at a certain time. We pretty much don't feel that Golders Greer is going to make it on our agenda this time around...there's too much we want to see and do in London and we'll be very happy just to grab a sandwich for lunch. My husband and I did see the Bevis Marks shul during one of the Original London Walks tour one year and I will try to take my sister there...maybe will have supper at their kosher eatery...or not! Just depends on how the day goes for us. Thanks so much for your kind offer and for directing me to the private message section...who knew??
Old Sep 17, 2008, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
Sorry to ask this as an outsider, but would appropriate halal restaurants suit some or most of the needs of a kosher diner? I only ask as I imagine there would be quite a selection of decent restaurants (or more basic food options) open to kosher diners open to halal food.

I've read this thread and recall this has worked for some people and usually works in terms of airline food.

(Maybe I'm getting this back to front... are there levels of kosher or is the most basic level requiring rabinnical or some kosher authority approval? Might some restaurants be approved for both kosher and halal?)

Cheers.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 3:00 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by BiziBB
Sorry to ask this as an outsider, but would appropriate halal restaurants suit some or most of the needs of a kosher diner? I only ask as I imagine there would be quite a selection of decent restaurants (or more basic food options) open to kosher diners open to halal food.
No. The requirements are very different, and the kosher laws are far more stringent than Halal, as far as I am aware.

Might some restaurants be approved for both kosher and halal?
Yes. That would be possible if the Halal certifying authorities permitted it. I know of one product in the UK (DD's sandwiches, part of the Hermolis kosher food group) which has a prominent 'Halal certified' logo on the label next to the kosher logos.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by mikebg
No. The requirements are very different, and the kosher laws are far more stringent than Halal, as far as I am aware.

Yes. That would be possible if the Halal certifying authorities permitted it. I know of one product in the UK (DD's sandwiches, part of the Hermolis kosher food group) which has a prominent 'Halal certified' logo on the label next to the kosher logos.
Thanks for this.
Given London is a relatively multicultural and such a large city, I expected that there could be a market for kosher fine dining for subcontinental and African cuisine - which could source meat that is both kosher and halal.

Perhaps a family with relative of both religions could run such a place.
Quite a challenge but what a market.
A concept for you to chew on, in London.
Old Nov 22, 2008, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by salut0
Here's the source, where you can browse all their products. They have a good selection at their store (on Abbey Road, the home of the famous Beatles' zebra-crossing):
http://www.adafina.co.uk/
Just a quick update that you can now buy these kosher sandwiches from Adafina at Heathrow (back to the OP!). Cafe Nero in T1, T4 and T5 stock them. When I was there last week they had Smoked Salmon with Dill & Cream Cheese in Mezonot Bagel; Herbed Cheese, Rocket & Sundried Tomato in Mezonot Bagel; Tuna Salad in Granary Bread, Chicken Mayonnaise & Sweetcorn in Granary Bread; and Egg Mayonnaise & Cucumber in Mezonot Roll.
Cost around UK 3.90 per roll. Quality was good, but I actually prefer DD's I think. All cream cheese is parev.
Old Nov 22, 2008, 3:13 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SPG Plat; HH Diamond
For those with access to the First lounge in T5, Kosher is now readily available on request.

You can PM me for more details on how to order ahead.
Old Nov 22, 2008, 7:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by 2035
Just a quick update that you can now buy these kosher sandwiches from Adafina at Heathrow (back to the OP!). Cafe Nero in T1, T4 and T5 stock them.
What about T3?
Old Nov 22, 2008, 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by salut0
What about T3?
There is a coffee shop in T3 arrivals which stocks a few DD's sandwiches.
Old May 14, 2009, 12:24 pm

Hi!

Just to tell you all what the OP already understands: We're preparing for our first trip to London.

1. Just in case we are driven to eating D&D sandwiches in all kinds of unlikely places in the middle of London, any suggestions about where to wash our hands?

2. What kind of hekhsherim and what kind of food (aside from fruits and vegetables) are available in the Selfridges food halls?

Thanks.
H.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.