Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Religious Travelers
Reload this Page >

Kosher eats in Heathrow and London & Jewish tourist suggestions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kosher eats in Heathrow and London & Jewish tourist suggestions

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2009, 1:05 pm

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by HenriettaMaria
1. Just in case we are driven to eating D&D sandwiches in all kinds of unlikely places in the middle of London, any suggestions about where to wash our hands?
Take with you a plastic cup and a small towel. Go into a large shop (like John Lewis or Selfridges) and wash in the toilets. After exiting the toilets, make the berocho and dry your hands with the towel you brought. I've done it loads of times.

By the way, DD's have increased their range substantially and have some really interesting fillings. Their range is on their website (http://koshersandwiches.co.uk/index.htm). I note from the website that they are stocked in a number of places in the West End, including the (new) John Lewis Food Hall, but NOT in Selfridges.
Old May 14, 2009, 5:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mikebg
Take with you a plastic cup and a small towel. Go into a large shop (like John Lewis or Selfridges) and wash in the toilets. After exiting the toilets, make the berocho and dry your hands with the towel you brought. I've done it loads of times.
Or simply dont touch the bread with your hands and make HaMotzei and Bench afterwards
Old May 14, 2009, 10:22 pm

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by craz
Or simply dont touch the bread with your hands and make HaMotzei and Bench afterwards
Where did you dream that 'hetter' from? Yes, there are circumstances where you can eat with gloves (on BOTH hands). It is not enough just not to 'touch the bread'. However, that is only possible where there is no water available to wash with within 72 minutes walk ... As for not making hamotsi 'until later' ... I am sorry to say that someone has misled you here. There are plenty of places you can wash in Central London.
Old May 15, 2009, 1:55 am
Suspended

Where did you dream that 'hetter' from? Yes, there are circumstances where you can eat with gloves (on BOTH hands). It is not enough just not to 'touch the bread'. However, that is only possible where there is no water available to wash with within 72 minutes walk ... As for not making hamotsi 'until later' ... I am sorry to say that someone has misled you here. There are plenty of places you can wash in Central London.

never said to make 'HaMotzi' later. I said make 'HaMotzi' and after you are done Bench

washing in say M&Ss bathroom drying your hands after you leave it and then walk wherever and sit and 1st eat, is not so simple. Too long of a Hefsik. aloso not so simple to wash - dry outside bathroom, make a bracha eat a small pice of bread and then go to wherever you are gonna actually eat

The not having to wash is if yes water for washing isnt available, there are some who hold since its a Big tercher in having to wash and not eat where you make the Bracha then its Ok to do as I said . Go to where you will actually eat and dont touch the bread but make HaMotzi and Bench when done.

OT but flew back to the States yesterday from SYD, in the lounge was a another Frum guy we got to talking and talking about the davening. He said I better daven Mincha as it will get dark on the flight and I will need to redaven Shaharis again for Weds morn again. I told him I was told since we get into SFO @ 11am I can daven Mincha any time after we take off from SFO and before it gets dark, we landed JFK at 9:15pm.

on the way there left SFO at 10:45pm and we landed SYD 6am Tues morn, there was no Mon. Again was told Daven Maariv in SFO and my next davening
is Tues morning in SYD and no making up anything. also Omer w/o a Bracha Tues morn which counts for Mon night and continue with a Bracha as reg Tues night.

My pt is you may as others have disagree with any of the above but I asked My local Orthodox Rabbi and thats that in regards to me

PS I should have said that its best for the OP to ask her LOR what they can rely on.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 4:26 am

Kosher Food in London City

I'll go for a one day journey with my family to London.
Is there any place where we can buy kosher Food (Sundwich or Restaurants)in the City (Main area where all the shops are)?

thanks
Old Jun 7, 2009, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by kahane
I'll go for a one day journey with my family to London.
Is there any place where we can buy kosher Food (Sundwich or Restaurants)in the City (Main area where all the shops are)?

thanks
DD's sandwiches are available in John Lewis Food Hall in Oxford Street
Old Jun 9, 2009, 9:05 am

kahane,
City is NOT where the shops are. It's a financial centre. Within City, you can get DD's sandwich at Tesco across from Liverpool St Stn. Better yet, you can get takeaway items from Bevis Marks restaurant if Mon-Fri. Shops are along Oxford St (unless you consider going to the malls in Brent Cross or Westfield)--you can get kosher sandwiches at John Lewis, Selfridges, plus some supermarkets in West End. Sainsbury's near Green Park tube station carries DD's though they tend to run out of it if you get there too late.

mikebg,
I believe now it's Adafina that supplies John Lewis on Oxford St.

HenriettaMaria,
Kosher foods at Selfridge is litterall scattered around the Food Hall. You can get packaged Grodzinski biscuits/cakes and Sharon's challot near general bread/cakes counter. Adafina sandwiches/salads and other chilled foods (cold cuts, hummous, gefilte fish balls) are in a chilled shelf close to the smoked salmon (not fresh fish) counter. Among the isles you'll find other packaged kosher foods (tinned food, soup mixes, sweets and snacks, candles, wine). Chocolates are in separate areas a few steps below.

There are four local hechsherim: kedassia (basically haredi), LBD, SKA and Federation (KF in a hexagon). Also Manchester BD which is well respected. Note there are many products that do not carry hechsher but are checked by LBD, like walker's crisp (plain salted and salt-and-vinegar only, I believe the latter is now milky). Hence the need for the list.

To be honest, I don't know why anyone makes a big deal out of washing hands. Just carry a bottle of mineral water and some paper towels.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 1:51 pm

I was in the John Lewis Food Hall today and didn't find any kosher sandwiches, of any brand! Maybe because it was towards the end of the day though, or they put them somewhere odd.
Old Jul 1, 2009, 9:42 am

I was in the John Lewis Food Hall today and didn't find any kosher sandwiches, of any brand! Maybe because it was towards the end of the day though, or they put them somewhere odd.
I've seen only Adafina sandwiches at John Lewis. They are in a chilled shelf across chilled juice, between where you get off the escalator (down from the florist on the ground floor) and the bread counter. They usually have enough items.

On the other hand, I've noticed Tesco Berkley Square often runs out of DD's, and they stock only one or two kinds, usually tuna.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 9:16 pm
Suspended

Just back Update

Ok for the heck of it I went to both John Lewis and Selfridges. neither had DDs , both had Adafina.

I walked out w/o buying anything. I needed a magnifying glass in order to try and see if there was anything stuck in between the 2 slices of bread. A real pity, since when I was in Golders Green on Sun I walked into Carmellas and Tesco Express as well as a couple of Kosher groceries and the sandwiches were more like I thought they be on Oxford St, thick with something other then just bread! thats for the DDs but more so for Carmellas

The simple answer is go down Baker St (the street in between Marks & spemcer and Selfridges) appx 5-10 mins to Rubens!! Its well worth the walk did it 3 times. Only thing they are closed 4pm-5:30pm otherwise its 10am - 10pm. They had a sign up "All Meat Is Glatt" and are under the Sephardi Kasrut Authority. My friends in GG told me its OK to eat there as they do themselves

Rubens 79 Baker St

Wanted to add, 1 CCs cant be used for the fast food area but only for waiter service. Also they have tuna and egg salad sandwiches and plates and the tuna was 4.25 while the stuff on Oxford was 2.95 but Rubens had a min of 3 x the amount on it

Last edited by craz; Dec 11, 2009 at 7:28 am
Old Oct 26, 2010, 2:19 pm

New option

Just wanted to update that if anyone is looking for kosher food close to Heathrow, there is an excellent kosher option at Westfield London shopping centre in Shepherds Bush. This is about 20 mins drive from LHR non-peak, 40 minutes by underground (5.20 pounds return). There is an excellent kosher restaurant, a branch of Isola Bella - delicious breakfasts, fish, pasta, pizza, Thai, salads, desserts etc etc. And all at very reasonable prices for London, espcially at lunchtime.

In the same centre there is also a supermarket (Waitrose) with a good kosher section - cold cuts, cheeses, bread, frozen goods, dry goods etc, plentry for a picnic.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 9:59 pm

I got two tickets on the Heathrow Express that I am not using due to change in travel plans. Please contact me if you want them. They have to be used soon.
Old May 4, 2011, 6:45 pm

I know this thread is old, but I am looking for kosher (mehadrin) food at terminal five in Heathrow as well. We are scheduled to land at 8:15pm and won't be flying out again until 11am the next day. I am traveling with dh and kids, will be staying in Comfort Hotel for the night, but need to find breakfast. I would like to travel light and not bring all of our food with us if we don't have to.

Thanks!!
Old May 4, 2011, 7:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Liba
I know this thread is old, but I am looking for kosher (mehadrin) food at terminal five in Heathrow as well. We are scheduled to land at 8:15pm and won't be flying out again until 11am the next day. I am traveling with dh and kids, will be staying in Comfort Hotel for the night, but need to find breakfast. I would like to travel light and not bring all of our food with us if we don't have to.

Thanks!!
I would suggest very Strongly ordering from here: http://www.hermolis.com/site/menus/b...able/index.htm its not cheap but they will deliver and charge for it

but otherwise by the time you clear IMM and get to your Hotel its gonna be late and riding the Underground before 9:30am is very expensive and you wont have enough time to get anywhere and back

just make sure you will be able to heat the food up before ordering that type, just give them the name and address of teh hotel and they will probably drop it off before you even check-in or before you wake-up in the morn. Ive told this to a few friends and they Loved it
Old May 4, 2011, 7:32 pm

craz thank you!!! That is exactly the type of thing I was looking for. Do you know if the dairy is cholov yisroel? I read through the site, but couldn't see anything mentioned.

Thank you!!

fwiw google seems to say that it is all good. I emailed them to confirm as well!

Thanks.

Last edited by Liba; May 4, 2011 at 7:46 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.