Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are 2-for-1 and 4-for-2 rates gone?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2017, 1:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JamesBond_ppk
Feedback sent. Been ClubCarlson Concierge for 3 years in a row, this was the only benefit keeping me in the program. I'll focus elsewhere from now on.
I wonder if they keep track of any data when they do things like this, like will they see more credit cards cancelled and/or fewer elite members after this change? Or do they just not pay attention to it?
Old Feb 15, 2017, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by Lyssa
I wonder if they keep track of any data when they do things like this, like will they see more credit cards cancelled and/or fewer elite members after this change? Or do they just not pay attention to it?
No credit cards Here (don't live in the US), and I will keep my status until it runs out, so I don't think they'll notice anything until a few months. Nonetheless, they probably don't care. This benefit was born with the finance crisis; economies are running better now so it's no surprise that they remove anything (whether promotion or benefits) which does not justify themselves anymore.

On a side note; this is the response I received:
Dear Mr. XXX,

Thank you for taking the time to write.

We unfortunately do not have that particular benefit anymore.

Club Carlson Member Benefits: vary by participating hotel and brand, are subject to availability, and are subject to change at any time. Certain member benefits are available only when the member is the registered guest for an Eligible Stay. All Club Carlson Terms & Conditions apply. Void where prohibited by law.

I appreciate the opportunity to assist you. If I have not met all of your needs, please let me know.

Regards,
Old Feb 16, 2017, 1:23 am
Fyd

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Accor Plat
I sent an email to customer service with a copy & paste of the Gold Benefits from the Rezidor page, asking why they have cut the benefits without notice and what they'll offer in return.
The response was the SAME LIST of benefits, suggesting that the 2-for-1 benefit is still available!
@CC Representative: I do appreciate that you come onto the board to respond (I know, it's a tough crowd here) and have no doubt that you are offering the best information you can - but there seems to be a lot of disconnect between Marketing, IT, customer service: saying it's a temporary promotion, when it was a stated Gold benefit; stating that it is still available, when it isn't ...
Old Feb 18, 2017, 2:41 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Just checked in on an old 2-4-1 res and desk lady did not at least comment anything on this rate.
Let's see how it goes after check-out
Old Feb 19, 2017, 1:29 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Beware!!

Originally Posted by FFlash
Just checked in on an old 2-4-1 res and desk lady did not at least comment anything on this rate.
Let's see how it goes after check-out
And there it was!
On checkout, the rate info was not there and the desk tried to charge per allnights. Had to point out gold benefit 2-4-1 but the desk did not know about the rate or pretended so. After some discussion she charged only one night and said to sort it out with reservations.
Oh well. Somehow I have a pessimistic feeling that a double charge will appear on my credit card bill and no points appear....
Old Feb 19, 2017, 5:02 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, SK Gold, BT VIP, Radisson Premium, Accor Platinum
Stayed at the Radisson Blu Royal this weekend with a 2-4-1 reservation. The bill was ok.

This was the first time ever they were hesitant giving me a late check out. Looked like they had a big group of Chinese tourists checking in when I left.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 11:59 pm

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Planning a family trip to Ireland and was hoping to use the 2-1 I'd checked a few weeks ago but hadn't booked. Checked today and noticed the rate/webpage wasn't available anymore.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 11:45 am

Programs: A3 Gold
Originally Posted by hauteboy
Planning a family trip to Ireland and was hoping to use the 2-1 I'd checked a few weeks ago but hadn't booked. Checked today and noticed the rate/webpage wasn't available anymore.
Sorry to hear that hauteboy. Everybody here was fuming when we found out that Club Carlson pulled that stunt on us. It was shamefully done without any advance notice.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 4:02 pm

Programs: BA GGL, NH SFC, IHG Diamond, Radisson VIP, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Sorry to hear that, but this is the way they operate this programme. I complained about it, they kindly reminded me of the T&Cs, so it's not necessary for them to notify us. They actually did not get why I got upset. Extremely arrogant chain, but they don't care as we stay at their hotels anyway...
Old Feb 25, 2017, 10:34 am

Programs: A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Dark Blue
Sorry to hear that, but this is the way they operate this programme. I complained about it, they kindly reminded me of the T&Cs, so it's not necessary for them to notify us. They actually did not get why I got upset. Extremely arrogant chain, but they don't care as we stay at their hotels anyway...
It's worth mentioning that a few days after they cut the benefit saying it was a only a "promo", it was still listed as a shareholder benefit.

You simply don't end a "promotion" or "benefit" that ran continuously for a few years without notice. That was a shameful stunt pulled by Club Carlson and they will bleed their loyalty base to death.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 2:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
I have decided to move off Carlson.

i moved some business to Carlson in 2014 mostly because of credit card award night benefit.

once that was gone, my only stays were. Few in Europe with 2-for-1 stays. I kept the card only for gold upgrades. Now I will use my points and then cancel the card.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 10:53 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Goodbye and good riddance to Club Carlson.

After the shameful way they pulled the rug from under us with this stunt, I will never again patronise their hotels. Life's simply too short to give your business to outfits that operate in this way.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 12:40 am
Original Poster

This was the biggest issue I had, the lack of notice. I was in the same boat, planning trips to the UK and Scandinavia, among others. I had been checking rates, but was still figuring out my dates, etc. I went back the next day to book and boom, it was gone! With even a day of notice, I could have locked things in.

Also, agreed that CC doesn't care at all about customers who were impacted. I don't see why you'd go out of your way to stick it to your most loyal customers, but who knows?
Old Feb 27, 2017, 12:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FFlash
And there it was!
On checkout, the rate info was not there and the desk tried to charge per allnights. Had to point out gold benefit 2-4-1 but the desk did not know about the rate or pretended so. After some discussion she charged only one night and said to sort it out with reservations.
Oh well. Somehow I have a pessimistic feeling that a double charge will appear on my credit card bill and no points appear....
Even while the rate was still active, I had some problems. Both the Radisson Blu, Hanover and Park Inn, Luxembourg tried to charge me for both nights. I always print out my confirmation and take it with me so they can see the one night at 0.

The desk agent in Hanover was extremely rude actually, I was trying to explain the rate to him and he says "You don't get a free night just because you're a Gold member." Clearly he had no idea what he was talking about and I wouldn't have gotten the correct price if I hadn't printed the confirmation.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 3:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Lyssa
Even while the rate was still active, I had some problems. Both the Radisson Blu, Hanover and Park Inn, Luxembourg tried to charge me for both nights. I always print out my confirmation and take it with me so they can see the one night at 0.

The desk agent in Hanover was extremely rude actually, I was trying to explain the rate to him and he says "You don't get a free night just because you're a Gold member." Clearly he had no idea what he was talking about and I wouldn't have gotten the correct price if I hadn't printed the confirmation.
Probably an indicator that anyone holding a booking with 'promo' rate far out (say 6-9 months or longer) may have to really fight with hotels to get the rate honored.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.