Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are 2-for-1 and 4-for-2 rates gone?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2017, 11:47 am

Programs: A3 Gold
Very bad news indeed, but for those willing to stick with the brand (I managed to get 24 nights credited this January, but now not sure if I will bother to stay the other 11 to regain the gold status that I lost last year), but the newly introduced 10% discount on top of the lowest advance rate might help to bridge the gap... One should have in mind the paid nights were at the highest rate.

For an example: the last property I stayed (Belgrade) has EUR 315 (with the 10% discount) against EUR 235 (4-2-1) for stays between 5/11-15. Best flexible rate at 394...

I wonder if this means the new owners have "better" ideas on to how to fill the EMEA properties during weekends... The 2-4-1s looked like a very thoughtful
way of keeping hotels less empty during weekends with frequent guests...
Old Jan 30, 2017, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by murilix
the newly introduced 10% discount on top of the lowest advance rate might help to bridge the gap...
You dont get points for that rate. So -10% and no points is not a good idea if you get 75% bonus points when you have top elite status.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 12:13 pm

Programs: A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Sakkis
You dont get points for that rate. So -10% and no points is not a good idea if you get 75% bonus points when you have top elite status.
Sorry to ask, but are you sure this applies to all properties? That doesn't make sense at all since points are earned according to the amount spent. I didn't see that information in any of the -10% rates I've searched (and there were quite a few recently)...
Old Jan 30, 2017, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by murilix
Sorry to ask, but are you sure this applies to all properties? That doesn't make sense at all
https://www.clubcarlson.com/offers/11858139 ..I believe that every my rate is without points.. but is it stay/night anyone??
Old Jan 30, 2017, 1:59 pm
KRS

Thank you for voicing your concern in regards to us ending our Elite Member weekend extend promotion 2-for-1 and 4-for-2 recently. This was a targeted offer for our Elite members only and not part of the benefits. Club Carlson has many different member only promotions available at select participating hotels. As we endeavor to keep our offers simple and relevant, we noticed that these offers were underutilized. Please make sure you visit our special member only promotions page frequently as we continue to enhance and look to add value for our members
This is the response I received from Club Carlson.

It certainly was not underutilized by me!
Old Jan 30, 2017, 2:39 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by Sakkis
https://www.clubcarlson.com/offers/11858139 ..I believe that every my rate is without points.. but is it stay/night anyone??
I don't see that in the T&C on the page you referenced or in any other CC T&C's:
Members Only Rate Offer

Terms and Conditions

The Members Only Rate offer is valid for up to 10% off the Best Available Rate at participating hotels booked on Carlson Rezidor Hotels brand websites, brand mobile sites, and brand mobile apps.

You must be a Club Carlson member to be eligible for the Members Only Rate offer. The Members Only Rate offer is valid for stays booked on or after August 18, 2016.The Members Only Rate offer varies by hotel, is subject to change, and may be different each night of stay. The Members Only Rate offer is available for individual bookings only, not valid for existing reservations, and may be offered in conjunction with designated other discounted rates, brand offers or packages. The offer is subject to all Club Carlson program terms and conditions.

The Members Only Rate Offer is not eligible for a free award night with Gold Points® redemption. Other exclusions may apply.
The Members Only Rate offer is subject to availability, blackout dates may apply, and may be changed or discontinued at any time.
Participating hotels are subject to change at any time without notice and the number of rooms available for this offer may be limited and may vary by hotel.
Cancellation policies vary by hotel.
The Members Only Rates offer is subject to applicable law and void or not applicable where prohibited by law.
By participating in this offer, you agree and consent to these terms and conditions.
If they give points for the Cash part of C&P rates they should give points to Member Rates.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by KRS
This is the response I received from Club Carlson.
Thanks for posting Club Carlson's response.

My opinion could be summarized as: What a load of crap.

The 2-for-1 and 4-for-2 rates were one of the core benefits for Gold and Concierge members.

Elininating a core benefit without any notice whatsoever is extremely poor form IMO.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 3:54 pm

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
This was the benefit I liked the most and is flat-out what saw me strive to ensure Gold Status.
Without it CC are going to have to pull something amazing out of the bag to entice me to use them over rivals I also obtain status with.
This is a big shame to me and will see them genuinely lose my business.
Their properties are not special enough to stand up against the competition without a perk like this I'm afraid.
I think this could see the business suffer.
I have Rezidor shares which are showing a decent enough profit. I would have held them longer but think this will hurt the business as regular travellers will change their loyalties to another company given this very large devaluation and won't go the extra mile to keep maintaining their elite status.
I'm taking my money & running.

I have been so very, very close to opting in to their current 100k for 20 stays promo and pushing myself to make a few extra stays that I wouldn't have expected to. Now this has happened it has made me refocus on my other preffered hotel chains.

On top of dropping what I consider to be their most valuable perk, they've done it with zero warning so have well and truly lost any respect & trust I had in them.
I have absolutely no interest in doing business with a company which behaves like that.

So long Club Carlson.

Last edited by Sisyphus1carus; Jan 31, 2017 at 7:42 am
Old Jan 30, 2017, 4:42 pm

Programs: IHG - spire amb, Marriot - tit, Radisson - plat, Hilton - gold, Accor -gold, GHA - plat
What a nonsense reply on their behalf. It has never been a promotion, but a core benefit. even Rezidor group website listed this as benefit (http://www.rezidor.com/phoenix.zhtml...-sharebenefits). Well, what is concierge level worth now? Nothing. You get an upgrade to the next room category (which is "superior" in an increasingly bigger number of hotels in Europe, add 2 m2 to the room size and this is it), free breakfast (half of properties include them in the rate anyways). Goodbye CC!
Old Jan 30, 2017, 9:27 pm
Fyd

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Accor Plat
I recommend to send your feedback to Club Carlson customer service, here is their email: https://www.clubcarlson.com/customer...stomer-service
Maybe if there is enough negative feedback, they will reconsider the "underutilized" part. I don't see any downside to this - if a hotel is busy, they don't offer the rate. If it is empty anyway, they get additional customers.
After the elimination of bonus award nights for credit card holders and the devaluation of Club Carlson points, this is the third, big cut of elite member benefits. And there have been no new benefits that would make this program interesting.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 12:35 am
Original Poster

Here was my email:
Hello,

I have a question about the Gold member extend a weekend rate. It does
not seem to be working for any hotel on any date now. Has this rate been
cancelled or is it a glitch? I was looking at several hotels yesterday
that had the rate and now it's gone.

I was planning on making several bookings, so I hope if this is a
permanent change they give advance warning, like when they cancelled the
credit card last reward night free. They gave us some notice so we could
finish the bookings we were planning.

Please let me know.

And the reply:
Thank you for taking the time to write. Please be advised that the
weekend extend rate is no longer being offered. I do apologize for any
inconvenience.

Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to assist you. If we have not
addressed all of your needs, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Regards

No response at all to the fact that it was done without warning. I will respond again and say the fact it was done without warning breaks my trust in the program and why should I strive to collect points when I know they will make major changes at any time?

I second the opinion that as many people as possible should complain about this, maybe they will at least reactive the rate for a time period so people can make final bookings.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 12:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fyd
I recommend to send your feedback to Club Carlson customer service, here is their email: https://www.clubcarlson.com/customer...stomer-service
Maybe if there is enough negative feedback, they will reconsider the "underutilized" part. I don't see any downside to this - if a hotel is busy, they don't offer the rate. If it is empty anyway, they get additional customers.
After the elimination of bonus award nights for credit card holders and the devaluation of Club Carlson points, this is the third, big cut of elite member benefits. And there have been no new benefits that would make this program interesting.
Another pro for the hotels, I was always still paying for extras on the "free" night. I always parked at the hotels and frequently ate in the restaurants. So they still made extra money off me on that night.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 7:44 am

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
Originally Posted by Lyssa
No response at all to the fact that it was done without warning. I will respond again and say the fact it was done without warning breaks my trust in the program and why should I strive to collect points when I know they will make major changes at any time?

I second the opinion that as many people as possible should complain about this, maybe they will at least reactive the rate for a time period so people can make final bookings.

What irks me the most is doing it with absolutely no warning whatsoever.
This has destroyed my respect for the company and my trust in them. Not a decent way to behave at all.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 3:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fyd
Please keep up letting Club Carlson know how upset we are about this, maybe they will reactive the rate if they see the impact. Also, it can't hurt to tweet @ClubCarlson. I haven't received a response from them, but it's more impactful the more people it comes from.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 3:04 am
Original Poster

Here is the email I sent in response to their email, which did not address the lack of notice. No response to this email yet.

Hello again,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. However, one of my main points was not addressed. I am extremely upset about the fact that this change was implemented with no warning at all. When previous major changes were made to the program, such as ending the last award night free for credit card holders, we were give time to make our final plans.

I was in the middle of planning 5 European trips and from one day to the next this benefit disappeared without warning. This will majorly impact my upcoming travel plans now. It really breaks my trust in Club Carlson the way this was handled. Why should I strive to collect Club Carlson points now, when I know they will make major changes at the drop of a hat without warning?

If they can't reinstate this benefit permanently, then in my mind the only way to make this right is temporarily reactive the rate and give people a chance to finalize their plans. I can't recall such a major change on any other hotel or airline loyalty program without warning and it isn't the right way for Club Carlson to treat the highest level of elite members.

This has been the third major cut to the program, after the elimination of the last award night free and the major devaluation in points. Nothing seems to be happening to make up for those changes. Also, I don't understand what the downside was to the program? Hotels could opt out, I saw several hotels that didn't participate. It just helped to fill up empty hotels on weekends and gave something to elites. It really was a win-win and I can't understand the rationale to cancelling it.

Again, however, if it had to be cancelled, fair enough. My major complaint is the way it was handled, with the lack of warning, which is really shows no care or consideration for members.

Thank you,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.