Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Club Carlson Credit Card (now available)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:12 pm

Programs: AA LTP, UA, DL, HH, Marriott/SPG
Originally Posted by Happy
I got the physical card today and was able to register it online at US Bank's website, linked a bank account to it for online payment. Everything seemed to work OK.

What is very strange to me is, there is no information of Available Credit. All it shows is a ---

Then I made a $12xx payment towards an upcoming cruise. Apparently the payment went thru without hitch as my cruise agent already sent me the receipt. Else she would have called me already. (Before I made the payment I talked to a US Bank's rep to make sure it was OK to start a first charge in a large amount. She said it was fine.)

Yet, online I do not see any change on the card - basically no available credit info, no pending charge info, and other than the credit card's one line item there is nothing else.

Is this normal with US Bank, i.e. you dont see any pending transaction and you could not even figure out any pending charges by way of reconciling your available credit versus your credit limit?
Happy- that is how US Bank's site works. I have a Flexperks Visa Signature (it was originally a NWA card) and the site has always shown my credit limit as ---. Now, when I opened the Flexperks biz card and 2 weeks ago the CC Visa Biz, both were automatically added to my online profile and show the actual credit line.

I have always found their site inferior to Amex's, Chases's and Citi's. But, I do like their card and have had pretty good customer service from them.

Unfortunately, only posted transactions show up online. The only place i see my Flexperk Visa signature CL and available credit is when my online statement is generated.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sanctified50
I thought that was weird also that you could not see pending charges. If you log in on the mobile site, you can see the pending charges.
Can you use the mobile site's URL to log on from a PC?
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Hey, but at least when US Bank bought the Kroger card from whoever else had it before, it immediately showed up in my login (no work at all required on my part). That is way more advanced than Citi, where just about every card I have I have to use a separate login (one for AA cards, one for HH cards, and a third for AT&T Universal, and I bet I'm far from the worst case on this).
Get yourself a Citi bank account and everything would show in one single place, including the business cards.

Citi simply chooses to ONLY integrate accounts that the owner also does retail banking with Citi, not just credit card customers. I am not even sure Citi wants to continue carrying the ATT Universal card if not for some contractual agreement. It was half-hearted on the HHonor card until recently when it finally struck a deal with HHonor and introduced the more prestige version.

Different log in to access different accounts while annoying but at least you get the full information of your account instead of now with US Bank, you almost have to resort back to a spreadsheet to keep track of your spending especially for authorizations that may not turn into a billing... when everyone is towards showing the authorization / pending in real time...

That said, the CC customer rep seems to be slow-paced, warm and friendly. I talked to one who is based in Idaho near Canadian border according to him... Is there a town big enough to have a supply of call center workers? Or the agent is a work-form-home type? This is interesting. The Online Banking Support rep though, is curt, impatient but I guess if you constantly have a stream of customers calling for help, you would become like that too. (The wait time to get to an Online Banking rep was 12 minutes despite the system said 8 minutes.)

Last edited by Happy; Dec 28, 2012 at 11:32 pm
Old Dec 29, 2012, 4:34 am
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Actively lurk or participate? I don't recall seeing an official presence on this board but that doesn't mean they aren't here.
Semi active but very, very good IMO. Resolving issues etc.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Get yourself a Citi bank account and everything would show in one single place, including the business cards.
And get a 1099 charging me more than the value of the bonus miles? No, thanks!

I actually used to have a Citi bank account in the days when their overseas ATMs had no withdrawal chrages. That was worth it just for that alone, even if it was only available in a few countries. But then they made their ATM fees overseas as high as my regular bank, and so I dropped it. Then I considered it again with the 20k bonus, but before I acted, I heard about the 1099 stink, and that's driven me to ignore Citi banking offers for a long time to come.

Anyway, when you have a CIti bank account, do Citi cards you apply for show up in there automatically? If I have a Citi AA account, new Citi AA cards dont' show up automatically, I have to add them one by one (and it's a many step process to add each card, because Citi also can't remember the payment info from one card to the next).

While at US Bank (as well as Chase), the cards are added automatically to your single login.

So I veiw that as another way that US Bank is superior to Citi.

Now, you may value the things that Citi does better more than the things that US Bank does better, and that's fine. But objectively speaking, I see only some things that Citi does better, while I see some other things that US Bank does better. (Chase does almost all of them better than either Citi or US Bank. )
Old Dec 29, 2012, 3:53 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Le Club Accorhotels Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by blackmamba
Is that the one on Yas Island? How come it's showing 57,000 for me?
You seem to be looking at Business Class room redemption (not Standard room). It is indeed 57,000 points. But standard seems to still be 38,000.

Good luck as the F1 may cancel the event if security does not improve next year.
Thanks! There is a dose of risk in any event-related non-refundable early bookings but the potential reward (savings) greatly makes up for it. I am risking only 38,000 points for $2,250 of potential savings and the convenience to be right near the race track. My plane ticket is fully refundable (award ticket). I believe the organizers, the city of Abu-Dhabi, Etihad, all hotels, restaurants, shops, etc. are at much higher risk then I am, so they will make sure to fix whatever issues they experienced.

Last edited by VladQ; Dec 29, 2012 at 4:16 pm
Old Dec 29, 2012, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And get a 1099 charging me more than the value of the bonus miles? No, thanks!
Who said to get a bank account for the bonus?

Can't a bank account simply to serve a banking need? Dont you have a bank account somewhere?

A bank account does not generate a 1099 except you use it to get a bonus or if it generates more than $10 interest earning for the year. That works for ANY bank account, not just Citi's. Basic Tax Laws.

Besides, who really cares about whether a CC would automatically show up online? You only need to do "Add Account" once and be done with it. Other than one-time convenience, such feature serves no particular purpose once the account is up there.

Whilst the inability to see ongoing transactions long after it happened, is a serious drawback when most financial situations these days show REAL TIME transactions online. I want to be able to see what my transactions are, as soon as they happened, especially if I am traveling overseas, in high-risk countries. That is how you be able to catch any possible fraudulent usages on your account. I have caught fraudulent charges a few times when the charges were still in the "pending" stage. With US Bank's very outdated technology, this is impossible.

If I can choose, I would pick the real time showing of transaction any day.

Last edited by Happy; Dec 29, 2012 at 7:12 pm
Old Dec 29, 2012, 7:52 pm

Pending Transactions

One thing I don't like about US Bank's website is that it doesn't show Pending transactions. I've discovered that their iPhone app does, in fact, show those Pending transactions.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Who said to get a bank account for the bonus?

Can't a bank account simply to serve a banking need? Dont you have a bank account somewhere?
That's my point. I do have a bank account, which meets all my needs. And I've had the same bank for almost 30 years. And for most of that time, Citi had no presensce in my area (they only arrived a few years ago when they bought some local bank).

So I have no need for another bank account unless it has benefits that aren't offered by my bank (that matter to me).

While Citi had no fee for using their own ATM overseas, that was a benefit I would have gone for even without a miles offer. (Yet a miles offer came along, and so I only learned of the Citi ATM benefit once I had the Citi account.)

But with that Citi ATM benefit now gone, the only thing they can offer me that my bank (Wells Fargo) can't is (a) miles, but now with a yucky 1099, and (b) the only (???) way to get the "high-tech" ability to have a single logon for all my Citi cards. (And yet still have to add each card manually.)

Besides, who really cares about whether a CC would automatically show up online? You only need to do "Add Account" once and be done with it.
Perhaps if Citi is your "regular" bank, then that's all there is to it. But another stupidity of the Citi site (compared to other credit card issueers) is that every card you add to your account, you have to respecify the bank account from which you'll pay your bill. So every time I sign up for a Citi card (and because they let me churn faster than any other bank I seem to sign up for Citi cards more often than any one other bank), I have to look up my routing number and checking account number (if I don't remember both, and I never use them much any more these days other than when adding Citi cards!). How moronic!

I have multiple credit cards that don't show pending transactions (indlcuding my longtime primary card, Diners Club), so I don't "expect" a banking site to show it. It's nice when it does. But to me it's just one thing that Citi does well, balanced by several things it still does more poorly than other sites (including US Bank).

Meanwhile, have you figured out whether it's a website glitch or not? Most banks have a way of calling them on the phone (voice) and having the automated system tell you what your avialable balance is. Have you tried that with US Bank, and does it says verbally "your available balance is dashes"? (Or try their smartphone app, as suggested by the post above.)
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Perhaps if Citi is your "regular" bank,
I dont have a Citi bank account, therefore I accept the fact that I need to log in for different Citi cards, namely, HHonor and everything else must be under 2 different log in. I dont whine about it.

This is not a biggie to me. Just a one-time inconvenience to set up the new HHonor account and ever since you can add however many additional HHonor cards to the same account.

I am talking not from a personal bias to see which is a more preferred technology - ability to show new account under the existing online access, versus ability to show REAL TIME transactions - which one is more useful, relevant, important, to a person's day-to-day usage of a credit card / bank account.

My preference is very clear and I give the reasons why. I believe most folks prefer to see real time transactions on their online access so they dont have to manually keep track of the activities.

Of all financial institutions I deal with, from banking to brokerage to credit cards - Citi and Capital One were the only 2 that do not show pending transactions. No idea about Capital One now because their cards are in sock drawer for the last 18 months ever since Venture has passed its usefulness. Citi did a big improvement now pending transactions are shown REAL TIME. Sure, it can improve a lot more because the new site in many ways now make you click thru several steps to get to what you needed versus in the past you can see a summary right on the first page but now some of the vital info are missing until you go to the individual account page. However, the pending charges now finally show. That is a big improvement.

This is the first time I deal with US Bank and I am rather surprised by its online banking is like years behind other banks. Even BankDirect shows pending if I recall. And anyone who deals with BankDirect (for the earning of AA miles) readily agrees it is a stone-aged website. I am truly surprised that US Bank, which bills itself a very well-run bank (in the financial crisis the CEO went on TV to complain about being forced to take TARP when his bank did not need any.), would not improve its online banking functions when even such a behemoth of Citi finally did.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:02 pm

Of all financial institutions I deal with, from banking to brokerage to credit cards - Citi and Capital One were the only 2 that do not show pending transactions. No idea about Capital One now because their cards are in sock drawer for the last 18 months ever since Venture has passed its usefulness. Citi did a big improvement now pending transactions are shown REAL TIME. Sure, it can improve a lot more because the new site in many ways now make you click thru several steps to get to what you needed versus in the past you can see a summary right on the first page but now some of the vital info are missing until you go to the individual account page. However, the pending charges now finally show. That is a big improvement.

This is the first time I deal with US Bank and I am rather surprised by its online banking is like years behind other banks. Even BankDirect shows pending if I recall. And anyone who deals with BankDirect (for the earning of AA miles) readily agrees it is a stone-aged website. I am truly surprised that US Bank, which bills itself a very well-run bank (in the financial crisis the CEO went on TV to complain about being forced to take TARP when his bank did not need any.), would not improve its online banking functions when even such a behemoth of Citi finally did.

I was also surprised about this. I care about pending transactions and USBank is one of the only cards I use that doesn't show them. That and the online banking signup issues mean I'm underwhelmed with US Bank's online interface.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uberuber
I was also surprised about this. I care about pending transactions and USBank is one of the only cards I use that doesn't show them. That and the online banking signup issues mean I'm underwhelmed with US Bank's online interface.
Thank you for pointing this out!

Yup, most of us care about seeing the pending transactions than the convenience of having a new card showing up automatically. The former is of several important utilities while the latter is just a one-time small convenience.

The argument of US Bank's online banking interface is superior than Citi's is a very laughable argument when the "superior" part is nothing but just to automatically shows a new account online (easily done if using SSN as a trigger) while the much more important transaction information and available credit is completely gone missing.

Here is the workaround I am using now - use the mobile banking site's URL to access account online with desktop.

The URL is: http://m.usbank.com/mobile-web/index.asp

The site is for mobile phone app therefore it looks weird on desktop but at least it provides the needed info.

Many thanks to those who provide this information.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yup, most of us care about seeing the pending transactions than the convenience of having a new card showing up automatically. The former is of several important utilities while the latter is just a one-time small convenience.
You're missing the point. It's not one-time if it's at the most highly (ie, frequently) churnable bank ever! (What other bank lets you churn, including in some cases the very same card if you wish, at the rate of 2 cards every 65 days??) So some of us who churn Citi have to keep adding cards, and adding payment information for those cards, over and over and over and over and over again. US Bank, OTOH, has not had much in the way of card offers worth churning, especially since they lost NW several years ago, so for most people it is one-time only (or at most once every few years) at US Bank.

Do you really apply for only 1 Citi card at a time? It's two in a row that I had to add, because whenver I apply for 2 Citi cards at a time, I have to manually add one, set up the payment info on it manually, then manually add the second one, and manually set up the payment info on that (it won't inherit from the card I just did a few minutes ago!).

And as you've found, there is at least (maybe more than) one way to get the info you want, it's just not "obvious". So it's a work-around, not an impossibliity (as you first claimed). (I say "maybe more than one" because none one has come back and said my suggestion of trying the voice phone interface and said that doesn't work either. Years ago, I remember when no bank had this information online, and yet most banks had it available over a voice phone interface. You may not need to use those voice phone interfaces much anymore, but in most cases they are still there, and sometimes they provide information a buggy website doesn't.)

Last edited by sdsearch; Jan 3, 2013 at 3:33 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jan 4, 2013, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When does the status changed at Club Carlson site after you received Premier Visa?

Questions to those who recently joined Club Carlson and got the Premier Visa cards:

1) When do you see your status changed to Gold on the Club Carlson site?

2) How long the bonuses would post to your account?

Thanks a lot for the inputs.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 7:31 pm

Questions to those who recently joined Club Carlson and got the Premier Visa cards:

1) When do you see your status changed to Gold on the Club Carlson site?

2) How long the bonuses would post to your account?

Thanks a lot for the inputs.
My status changed to GOLD and all bonus points posted 1 day after statement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.