Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Radisson International | Radisson Rewards
Reload this Page >

(Expired, 2011 promo) Stay One Night at a Radisson, Earn 50,000 Bonus Points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(Expired, 2011 promo) Stay One Night at a Radisson, Earn 50,000 Bonus Points

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2011, 9:31 am

Programs: DL PM, AA Gold, A3 Gold, WN CP, and lots of points everywhere.
Originally Posted by KathinJax
Msp2msy - thanks for the breakdown, but I think the cash & points amount is low. As Ambraciot pointed out to me earlier (Thanks! BTW), cash and points actually earn points on the cash portion of the rate. I think that you would have to subtract those points for your calculation. When I subtract out the points earned, I am coming up with approx 1 cpp.

So here are my other questions: Does Cash & Points earn a stay credit?
Does cash & points earn the 1,000/2,000 point booking bonus?
Thanks KathinJax. I updated my analysis accordingly. I'm still holding at .6CPP but subjectively my value moved a bit and if I ran more examples, I wouldn't be surprised to see it tick up a bit. I was thinking C+P didn't make a lot of sense at Radisson (compared to, say, SPG) but if you earn and get the bonus on the cash portion, that's a big change.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 10:02 am
Company Representative - Radisson Hotels & Club Carlson

As of 10am CST today, Club Carlson members that have registered for the Radisson Big Night Giveaway are eligible to receive 50,000 Bonus Gold Points ®. We still have some spaces available, so if you haven’t already registered, hurry this offer is limited to the first 50,000 people to register. Registration and full terms and conditions are available at www.radissonbignightgiveaway.com
Old Nov 10, 2011, 10:11 am

Thank you very much for posting this analysis! ^

I did a quick survey of a few hotels and figured 0.5 CPP was a decent mid-range estimate and that 1CPP could be achieved in high-price markets (like NY or London). I'm glad to see that someone else has come to a similair conclusion.

Originally Posted by msp2msy
Valuation

Though your question wasn't directed at me, I'll throw out that I picked a valuation of .6CPP.

Here are 5 data points I used:
  • Category 1 (E.g. Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Goodlettsville, TN). 9k/night + $2.50 or $107.74AI/night. 1.2CPP for pure points booking.

As KathinJAX pointed out, a cash+points stay should earn at least 20 points / $ on the cash portion. An online booking bonus may even apply. In this booking, C+P was an option at 5k + $65.65/night. Assuming a 1000CC point bonus for online booking (which is not clear to me yet) and no status, this would net out to $42.09 saved through C+P and a net points cost of 2687 which yields 1.56CPP. Very nice if it works out. Even if you didn't get the 1k online booking bonus, it's still 1.14CPP.
  • Category 3 (E.g. Country Inn & Suites in Green Bay WI on Sat Dec 10 before a Packers home game). 28k points. $191.82AI. .68CPP. My friend is always telling my how expensive a room in Green Bay is the night before a game, especially this year.
  • Category 6 - Top Tier (e.g. Radisson Blu Hotel Cape Town, Std, Award, Tue-Wed mid week with < 30 days notice). 3536ZAR=$443.66AI/night or 50k/night. .88CPP.
  • Club Carlson points convert to airline points at 2000CC:250Airline. If we value an airline mile at $.015, then it's .19CPP. Pretty terrible.
  • Or a more complex example, suppose you participate in the US Air Grand Slam next year where transferring yielded a hit. Suppose that you were in the 20-24 hit range where you received 10,000 extra US Air miles for that bracket. If a single hit got you 2500 US air miles then the ratio (for that one transfer which requires 8k CC) becomes 8000CC1000+2500 bonus). This yields .66CPP.

With the update suggested by KathinJax, the range opens up a bit more to include 1.2, 1.14 (adj for earnings on C+P stay), .68, .88, .19, .66. I originally said .6CPP and I'd stick with it for now but the top side looks better with two awards over 1CPP (though both Category 1 hotels). Suppose you received 56120 CC (see below), then you get a return value of $336.72

A few comments on my approach:
I used this List of Hotels by Category. I didn't specifically deflate the value for the loss of earnings on awards. I didn't compare to surrounding area hotels so if Club Carlson hotels compared to peers are significantly more expensive, then the fair-market CPP will be lower. I only picked one date for each example and varied it (e.g. a weekend in March for the tier 1, a game weekend for tier 3, and a business day for tier 6). Obviously it's not enough data but I felt comfortable that the spread between what I was paying for the points and what I would ultimately receive was very good for us. I'm also not factoring in lost points left over when you can't bring your account to 0.

What's the cost of the points?
Let's say that you can't actually use the room so it has no intrinsic value. In my case, a $106 room should yield:
50k - Bonus.
2k - First stay bonus.
2k - Online booking bonus
2120 - 20 pts / $.
=56120 Club Carlson points.

$106/56120 = .19CPM. The CPM will rise quickly as you add dollars.

Summary
If you can use the room, that's really great. In my case, we're actually sending my sister and sister-in-law out to get a room. My sister, a single-mom, will love a night away at a nice hotel with a pool for my niece to play in. My SIL & partner may really enjoy a night away from their kids. They'll let me use the points they eventually earn.

Even throwing away the intrinsic value of the night itself (something that pains me but I just don't see us using them ourselves since we're pretty booked up), I'm still getting points that are worth ~.6CPP for .19CPP.

I'm excited... After planning two big BA trips without much regard to lodging, I've come to realize that I've not been focusing on earning hotel points sufficiently nor targeting locations where I can use the points I have. And who knows, Carlson hotels may pick up some real mindshare and not just for awards. I like some aspects of what I've learned about their program so far.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 10:52 am

Programs: UA Gold/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott Plat
[QUOTE=baxterboy12;17425547]
Originally Posted by TravelGuy1965
Edit: About 2 hours ago I didn't get the 'already registered message' but now I do.
Next Step is knowing for sure if I make the 50k.

*DATA POINT* I just spoke with a rep in the Club Carlson call center @ 888-288-8889. She said that as of 9:08AM CST today, Nov 10, the 50,000 registrant plateau has not been reached yet, so if you registered last night at midnight, or prior to 9:08AM CST today, you will get the 50,000 if you complete the rest of the T&C’s. She didn’t indicate how close to the 50K they were getting. She said that the first screen will change from 50K to 15K once the 50K registrants is reached.
^ Glad to hear that! Thanks for calling and checking.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 10:55 am
Suspended

I need clarification on two unrelated issues that I see being discussed here:

1. Someone said that you can book through hotels.com and still receive the 50K? I thought that the room Radisson/Blue had to be booked on the Club Carlson website. ??

2. It is being said that if you choose "miles" then you will not get the 50K. And then someone said they checked and you can still get the 50K even if you pick "miles." But where on the Club Carlson website do you have the option of choosing miles or points? I have logged into my account -- do not see this option anywhere...??

Thanks for any info...

And here is a nugget for some people: I am a Gold Elite with Club Carlson. I'm sure I did not attain that status by virtue of completing stays. I must have requested reciprocal status; I am a Hilton Gold, and Priority Club Platinum. So some of you out there may want to inquire with Carlson (whether they still status match) prior to booking your required stay for this promo.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 10:58 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Valuation

Though your question wasn't directed at me, I'll throw out that I picked a valuation of .6CPP.
This is a great analysis but really the hypothetical "great" redemptions are only valuable if you'd actually use them. And the comparison cash rates are only valuable if you'd actually pay those rates.

If I don't use points, I'm going to use priceline. I think it's reasonable to conclude a Cat 4 hotel would be available for around $85 all-in on priceline much of the time.

For example, a stay I have coming up is being offered for 38k points or 10k + $83.40 cash. If I can get that room for $85 on priceline, the points+cash doesn't make sense. The value of the 38k points then comes out to about 0.2 CPP. Yawn.

If I can earn enough to redeem for airline miles at the 100k points level, and I value miles at 1.5 CPM, then I get closer to 0.3 CPP value. Still not great.

But even with those numbers, this promo still makes a lot of sense. I'll be holding the "book value" of these points at 0.216 CPP. At that number, the 57570 I'll earn from this promo will be worth $124.35. If I subtract off the opportunity cost from not staying with Marriott that night ($24.45) I still have $99.90 left.

So I'll do the promo and hold on to the points. If one of those high payoff redemptions happens or I happen to be in a place with few other hotel options, I'll use them. They'll also be available for GS next year. And if I accumulate too many, I'll just redeem for airline miles at book value.

[/economics]
Old Nov 10, 2011, 11:18 am

Programs: continental, united premier, hyatt diamond, marriott silver, priority club platinum amb,hilton gold
Originally Posted by BillyBaloney
I need clarification on two unrelated issues that I see being discussed here:

1. Someone said that you can book through hotels.com and still receive the 50K? I thought that the room Radisson/Blue had to be booked on the Club Carlson website. ??

2. It is being said that if you choose "miles" then you will not get the 50K. And then someone said they checked and you can still get the 50K even if you pick "miles." But where on the Club Carlson website do you have the option of choosing miles or points? I have logged into my account -- do not see this option anywhere...??

Log into club Carlson...Then go to my profile...scroll down to the bottom and you will see a box to choose either points or miles and you can enter in your FF number

Thanks for any info...

And here is a nugget for some people: I am a Gold Elite with Club Carlson. I'm sure I did not attain that status by virtue of completing stays. I must have requested reciprocal status; I am a Hilton Gold, and Priority Club Platinum. So some of you out there may want to inquire with Carlson (whether they still status match) prior to booking your required stay for this promo.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by stinkycop
Well I just spoke to a CSR and her supervisor who both confirmed that even though you choose miles instead of points you will be ok for this promo and you will get the 50K

U better pick another time another agent to confirm again
Old Nov 10, 2011, 11:43 am
Company Representative - Radisson Hotels & Club Carlson

As of 10am CST today, Club Carlson members that have registered for the Radisson Big Night Giveaway are eligible to receive 50,000 Bonus Gold Points ®. We still have some spaces available, so if you haven’t already registered, hurry this offer is limited to the first 50,000 people to register. Registration and full terms and conditions are available at ww.radissonbignightgiveaway.com.”
Old Nov 10, 2011, 11:46 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by Radisson Hotels & Resorts
As of 10am CST today, Club Carlson members that have registered for the Radisson Big Night Giveaway are eligible to receive 50,000 Bonus Gold Points ®. We still have some spaces available, so if you haven’t already registered, hurry this offer is limited to the first 50,000 people to register. Registration and full terms and conditions are available at ww.radissonbignightgiveaway.com.”
Very classy of you to post. Thank you.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 12:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Originally Posted by Radisson Hotels & Resorts
Welcome to FT^

Please review the thread to comment on other questions when you have time.

Thank you.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
So, does anyone know for sure if the "advance purchase" rate is eligible?

The rate specifically says:

- Special Advance Purchase Offer
- Must be booked at least 14 days in advance
- Cannot be combined with any other promotional offer
- For individual bookings only
- NON-REFUNDABLE CREDIT CARD PRE-PAYMENT REQUIRED AT THE TIME OF BOOKING FOR THE ENTIRE STAY
- No changes, cancellations or adjustments to the reservation are permitted
- No refunds for cancellations

but it doesn't say that this rate does not earn points.

Old Nov 10, 2011, 12:26 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
So, does anyone know for sure if the "advance purchase" rate is eligible?

The rate specifically says:

- Special Advance Purchase Offer
- Must be booked at least 14 days in advance
- Cannot be combined with any other promotional offer
- For individual bookings only
- NON-REFUNDABLE CREDIT CARD PRE-PAYMENT REQUIRED AT THE TIME OF BOOKING FOR THE ENTIRE STAY
- No changes, cancellations or adjustments to the reservation are permitted
- No refunds for cancellations

but it doesn't say that this rate does not earn points.

If I booked such a rate on Carlson hotels own websites, I've always gotten the points/credit, although in some cases it required manual intervention. But that's no different than my experience with flexible rate bookings made directly with Carlson hotels websites too.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 12:49 pm

[*]Category 6 - Top Tier (e.g. Radisson Blu Hotel Cape Town, Std, Award, Tue-Wed mid week with < 30 days notice). 3536ZAR=$443.66AI/night or 50k/night. .88CPP.
Thanks for all the work in the analysis. The only problem I have with the valuation of Club Carlson points is that I have always been able to find availability using the F+F rate when I've needed it at expensive Radisson Hotels including the Radisson Blu Cape Town in which case the value comes down to 80 Euro = $108/50,000 points =.216CPP and the F+F includes breakfast usually whereas an award night does not further lowering the value of the points. I'll have to hope that I need an expensive Radisson and the F+F is not available to really make this bonus worthwhile to chase.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 1:53 pm

This is so confusing, when I look at AAA or senior rate and then click on the rate details I don't see anything about gold or about points. The only one I can tell for sure earns points is the double points rate. Do we know what rates will work?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.