Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Radisson International | Radisson Rewards
Reload this Page >

(Expired, 2011 promo) Stay One Night at a Radisson, Earn 50,000 Bonus Points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(Expired, 2011 promo) Stay One Night at a Radisson, Earn 50,000 Bonus Points

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2011, 11:44 pm

Programs: BD, USAir, BA, Iberia, Hilton, IHG
Originally Posted by mabramovich
This is going to be a stupid question, but Radisson Plaza, Radisson Admiral, etc all count as "Radissons," right?
I thought it needed to be a Radisson Blu stay? Sorry to tired to read Ts&Cs
Old Nov 10, 2011, 12:34 am

Programs: Various Programs of Interest & LT Collector.
Edit: About 2 hours ago I didn't get the 'already registered message' but now I do.
Next Step is knowing for sure if I make the 50k.

Very Odd, I tried for the heck of it and I don't get that.... It just goes through the same thing and at the end shows the same exact message of "You are now registered"

Originally Posted by GUWonder
If you try to register the same account twice or more and the account has already been registered for this promotion, the following will come up:

You are already registered and points will be awarded at the completion of a qualifying stay.

Last edited by TravelGuy1965; Nov 10, 2011 at 12:43 am
Old Nov 10, 2011, 12:59 am

Programs: AS, BA, AA
http://boardingarea.com/blogs/loyalt...0-dec-30-2011/
First 50,000 Club Carlson members to register will know they are in the first 50,000 registrants when they see the landing page for the promotion showing 50,000 points offer. After first 50,000 Club Carlson members have registered the promotion landing page will change to show the member is eligible for 15,000 points.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 3:23 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by TravelGuy1965
Edit: About 2 hours ago I didn't get the 'already registered message' but now I do.
Next Step is knowing for sure if I make the 50k.

Very Odd, I tried for the heck of it and I don't get that.... It just goes through the same thing and at the end shows the same exact message of "You are now registered"
When you originally registered did you use your account number or email address or both to register? The answer to the question does not make any material difference for those who register, but I'm just trying to figure out how the delay worked out.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 4:02 am

Programs: Club Carlson Concierge, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Choice Diamond
Originally Posted by Fanjet
Signed-up. No problem. I just wish that there was a definite way to confirm this registration.
If you have registered, try registering again. It will tell you that you are already registered for the BIG NIGHT GIVEAWAY offer, and to receive your bonus points, stay with us before Dec 31, 2011
Old Nov 10, 2011, 4:24 am

Programs: All, but no status!
When I registered my family members (and myself) I kept getting an error message when using the account number, saying something like "please enter a valid number or email". So, I tried again with our email addresses and got through.

Odd problem though. I wonder why it happened, and hopefully doesn't indicate trouble for us.

Anyone else find this?

Originally Posted by GUWonder
When you originally registered did you use your account number or email address or both to register? The answer to the question does not make any material difference for those who register, but I'm just trying to figure out how the delay worked out.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 4:33 am
Suspended

The link is still up, so that tells me that 50000 people aren't storming the website to sign up. I was probably one of the few that waited until the clock struck midnight.

I did not experience any error messages when I signed up, to answer the last post.

Does anyone know how long it takes after the first stay for the points to post? I'm thinking of completing my qualifying stay as soon as possible.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 4:39 am

Programs: Many
OK, I registered when I woke up this morning and I get the same message that others in the thread are getting who registered right away. There needs to be a way to know if I'm in the first 50,000 or not. If so, I'll go out of my way (no Radisson is close to here) to stay in a Radisson. I won't do it for 15,000 points, or if I don't know how many points.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 4:49 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, CC Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, DL PM
The T&C say that it will take 6-8 weeks to post the bonus points. Hopefully, they post faster. I accidentally registered my brother-in-law twice let night and it did not give me the "you are already registered" wording, but I did get it this morning. Still would like to get an e-mail confirmation.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 7:11 am

So, am I right in understanding that it is the first 50,000 who register that will get this and NOT the first 50,000 who register and stay?
I want to know if we need to make our stay quickly or can wait until December?

Also does a Park Inn by Radisson count? Think we can combine this with their 15,000 offer?
Old Nov 10, 2011, 7:19 am
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Originally Posted by marlin
So, am I right in understanding that it is the first 50,000 who register that will get this and NOT the first 50,000 who register and stay?
I want to know if we need to make our stay quickly or can wait until December?

Also does a Park Inn by Radisson count? Think we can combine this with their 15,000 offer?
Covered fully upthread. The first 50k to register and not park inn^
Old Nov 10, 2011, 7:24 am

Programs: DL PM, AA Gold, A3 Gold, WN CP, and lots of points everywhere.
Originally Posted by TheManofaThousandPlaces
Stallion,

I'm curious to know what value you expect to get from the points: 0.5 cents per point, 1 cent per point?
Valuation

Though your question wasn't directed at me, I'll throw out that I picked a valuation of .6CPP.

Here are 5 data points I used:
  • Category 1 (E.g. Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Goodlettsville, TN). 9k/night + $2.50 or $107.74AI/night. 1.2CPP for pure points booking.

As KathinJAX pointed out, a cash+points stay should earn at least 20 points / $ on the cash portion. An online booking bonus may even apply. In this booking, C+P was an option at 5k + $65.65/night. Assuming a 1000CC point bonus for online booking (which is not clear to me yet) and no status, this would net out to $42.09 saved through C+P and a net points cost of 2687 which yields 1.56CPP. Very nice if it works out. Even if you didn't get the 1k online booking bonus, it's still 1.14CPP.
  • Category 3 (E.g. Country Inn & Suites in Green Bay WI on Sat Dec 10 before a Packers home game). 28k points. $191.82AI. .68CPP. My friend is always telling my how expensive a room in Green Bay is the night before a game, especially this year.
  • Category 6 - Top Tier (e.g. Radisson Blu Hotel Cape Town, Std, Award, Tue-Wed mid week with < 30 days notice). 3536ZAR=$443.66AI/night or 50k/night. .88CPP.
  • Club Carlson points convert to airline points at 2000CC:250Airline. If we value an airline mile at $.015, then it's .19CPP. Pretty terrible.
  • Or a more complex example, suppose you participate in the US Air Grand Slam next year where transferring yielded a hit. Suppose that you were in the 20-24 hit range where you received 10,000 extra US Air miles for that bracket. If a single hit got you 2500 US air miles then the ratio (for that one transfer which requires 8k CC) becomes 8000CC1000+2500 bonus). This yields .66CPP.

With the update suggested by KathinJax, the range opens up a bit more to include 1.2, 1.14 (adj for earnings on C+P stay), .68, .88, .19, .66. I originally said .6CPP and I'd stick with it for now but the top side looks better with two awards over 1CPP (though both Category 1 hotels). Suppose you received 56120 CC (see below), then you get a return value of $336.72

A few comments on my approach:
I used this List of Hotels by Category. I didn't specifically deflate the value for the loss of earnings on awards. I didn't compare to surrounding area hotels so if Club Carlson hotels compared to peers are significantly more expensive, then the fair-market CPP will be lower. I only picked one date for each example and varied it (e.g. a weekend in March for the tier 1, a game weekend for tier 3, and a business day for tier 6). Obviously it's not enough data but I felt comfortable that the spread between what I was paying for the points and what I would ultimately receive was very good for us. I'm also not factoring in lost points left over when you can't bring your account to 0.

What's the cost of the points?
Let's say that you can't actually use the room so it has no intrinsic value. In my case, a $106 room should yield:
50k - Bonus.
2k - First stay bonus.
2k - Online booking bonus
2120 - 20 pts / $.
=56120 Club Carlson points.

$106/56120 = .19CPM. The CPM will rise quickly as you add dollars.

Summary
If you can use the room, that's really great. In my case, we're actually sending my sister and sister-in-law out to get a room. My sister, a single-mom, will love a night away at a nice hotel with a pool for my niece to play in. My SIL & partner may really enjoy a night away from their kids. They'll let me use the points they eventually earn.

Even throwing away the intrinsic value of the night itself (something that pains me but I just don't see us using them ourselves since we're pretty booked up), I'm still getting points that are worth ~.6CPP for .19CPP.

I'm excited... After planning two big BA trips without much regard to lodging, I've come to realize that I've not been focusing on earning hotel points sufficiently nor targeting locations where I can use the points I have. And who knows, Carlson hotels may pick up some real mindshare and not just for awards. I like some aspects of what I've learned about their program so far.

Last edited by msp2msy; Nov 10, 2011 at 9:28 am Reason: Updated per KathinJAX's helpful comment re cash + points
Old Nov 10, 2011, 7:30 am

Thank you! Assume that if I do a best rate guarantee at a Radisson that will still count o.k.?
Old Nov 10, 2011, 7:31 am

Programs: Delta Plat, United Silver, Marriott LT Titanium, HHonors Silver, Hertz PC
After a quick read of the ClubCarlson T&C it does not seem that these points expire or have any earning to stay active requirements. Is this the experience of others more familiar with this program?

Thanks!
Old Nov 10, 2011, 7:38 am

Tried to sign up my sister's name who lives in Canada and it says profile already joined.

anyone else having problems signing family members?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.