Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

QR Status just extended until 31 March 2023

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2022, 3:35 am
Original Poster

X while traveling was challenging in the recent past, we are truly proud to have had the opportunity to continue flying and connecting many families during difficult times. Being the World’s Best Airline, we continue to be committed to expanding our network and offering the best of service to you, our valuable member.

Your loyalty means the world to us and we understand that it has been a while since you could fly with us as often as you liked. To honour your loyalty, we will extend the validity of your Gold tier until 31 March 2023**. You can continue enjoying your tier benefits as you travel across globe with us.
Traveller999 likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 3:45 am

Programs: qr
I also just got the e mail with same extension to . Though it’s just delaying the inevitable for me I guess.
Traveller999 likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 3:59 am

Programs: PC(QR), IB, CX Marco Polo, SAA Voyager
Same here with both of us. We are Platinum members and the current status was to expire on Dec 31st, 2022 but now extended to March 31st, 2023.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 4:52 am

Programs: QR P; HH D; IHG SpAmb
Also got the email. While i certainly appreciate the gesture i wonder whether it will influence my requalification strategy so would appreciate some comments on the below:

While i have had Platinum status for a number of years, i've had almost no travel in the past 3 so was going to lose that eventually. I understand that QR has a softlanding policy and that i would be Gold for another year.
I was thus planning to (re)qualify for gold first to get the associated 40 qcredits (i guess these won't come with the soft landing?) and then further qualify for Platinum to end up with 100 qcredits in total.

In particular, i have earned about 100 qpoints in Nov/Dec (incl 4 QR segments) and was planning to earn the remaining 170 in Jan/Feb to requalify for Gold and then get another 330 qpoints before Nov to then be Platinum again and have 100 qcredits.

Now with Platinum extended to end/Mar, does anything change for me? In particular, if have 270 qpoints (or will i need 300?) before end/Mar when Platinum runs out, will i get the 40 qcredits for Gold?
Old Dec 21, 2022, 6:32 am

Programs: QR PC Platinum, TK M&S elite, UA silver, ITA Voltaire Executive (lol), Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
This part of the email had me a bit confused, especially what the “travel date” is:
”Tier validity will be updated by 01 Jan 2023.

**In case you qualify to retain your tier based on the Qpoints earned by 31 Dec 2022, your tier validity will be extended for 12 month from your travel date. “

I just got off the phone with a QR agent, and she claimed that if you have 540+ qpoints on Jan 1st, your tier will be fully renewed for a year and you’ll also receive 60qcredits (vs only 3 months and no qcredits if you didn’t hit 540). So I guess travel date just means renewal date. As with most QR comms, confusing wording, but overall, no change to those who are gonna requalify Jan 1st and def a boon to those that aren’t
Old Dec 21, 2022, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by BlueEgg
Same here with both of us. We are Platinum members and the current status was to expire on Dec 31st, 2022 but now extended to March 31st, 2023.
Exactly my situation.

While this sounds like good news, I am a bit confused by the details.

I had no air travel whatsoever, on any airline, for over two years. But since March, I've been travelling like there is no tomorrow.

Currently the website shows 437 QPoints, I just put in the nasty-gram for another 7 points on a BA flight that was never credited (slightly less than a month ago), and I haven't yet put in for some uncredited MH flights (within the past two weeks, 52 QPoints in total). But if all of those are properly credited, I should have 496 QPoints. 44 to go.

I was thinking of going to the US in January, but because of the expiry of platinum, I thought maybe I would do the outbound on December 31st. (Risky, I guess, what if there is a problem with the flight?)

But with this news, does that mean I just need 540 QPoints in the period 1 January 2022 to 31 March 2023? Is that the correct interpretation? Does anyone know?
Old Dec 21, 2022, 8:34 am

Programs: EK Gold, QR Gold, WY Gold, Delta Silver Medallion
Gold Status extended until March 31, 2023 but I wouldn't be starting my flight marathon until April 2023. To confirm, I'll be having Silver status then right?
Old Dec 21, 2022, 8:56 am
Suspended

Haven't flown QR since 2018 but still maintaining my Gold status. Funny times
Old Dec 21, 2022, 10:02 am

Programs: QR Plat
I just got the same email today. Platinum for another few months. I'm not flying nearly enough to keep it, and the only upcoming travel I have will likely end up being SQ or CX, The way pricing is now and the number of long layovers in DOH for the routes I looked at I'll skip QR completely. Then there is the aircraft roulette.

-A
Old Dec 21, 2022, 6:14 pm

Programs: HHon Diamond, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, TG Gold, QR Plat, OZ Gold, AF Silver, Hertz #1 Gold, Priority Pass
Mileage expiry after losing Plat

Got the same email as well. As a Plat pretty much since QR joining OW, have had the privilege of keeping the miles alive without touching them all these years - however as with others here, haven’t flown much at all last 3 years and for sure I will lose the Platinum status.

Anyway could have a guess at what does this mean for the miles? Will ALL my miles expire by end 2023 if there is the soft landing to Gold tier?
newEUer likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 8:04 pm

Very convenient as my next booking is March 26th and I was expecting to have dropped to Silver by then.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by EzzerBKK
Got the same email as well. As a Plat pretty much since QR joining OW, have had the privilege of keeping the miles alive without touching them all these years - however as with others here, haven’t flown much at all last 3 years and for sure I will lose the Platinum status.

Anyway could have a guess at what does this mean for the miles? Will ALL my miles expire by end 2023 if there is the soft landing to Gold tier?
A guess? Yes, I can guess.

I'm platinum, but a silver I know received an email that her miles were expiring, with various suggested trips for which she could use them before losing them. I think she kept them all alive for a while, by using some of them.

But you did ask for a "guess", and you got one
Old Dec 22, 2022, 5:32 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Re miles, I thought when they became avios they now only expire (for all membership levels) if you haven’t earnt or spent any in the previous 3 years. So in theory you could book a short flight or buy some avios to extend them all.

I got the email too - happy as I’m now starting to travel again - but did anyone else find this part ominous:

With your needs in mind we are constantly reviewing our Privilege Club offering and will be soon announcing updates to our programme.
I can’t imagine those updates will spell good news for us…
railways likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2022, 2:04 am

Programs: QRPC-Silver & Star-Alliance
Got the same email, just 10-days before expiry of Silver-status !

Now IF they'd told me this a few months beforehand, rather than at-the-last-minute, then I might have considered QR-options for flights I've now booked elsewhere.

Don't QRPC realise that some people book several months in-advance ? Or even longer ahead ?
Old Dec 25, 2022, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by purple1addict
I can’t imagine those updates will spell good news for us…
Agreed - even if there were a mere whiff of something positive, the wording would have been "... exciting enhancements ... " or something similar.
purple1addict likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.