Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

QR Status just extended until 31 March 2023

QR Status just extended until 31 March 2023

Old Mar 31, 2023, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by jah718
Mine has stayed the same, 31/03/2023, but presumably since I have already hit the required Qpoints for extension, mine will be extended for the full year tomorrow?
One might hope that spending to requalify might earn a bigger premium than 3 months longer than those who didn't travel. But realistically I am expecting the same as you tomorrow, 31 Mar 2024. Some sort of status challenge for those who didn't requalify (eg. earn X qpoints in the next 3 months to maintain your tier) might have been better business on several levels
Old Mar 31, 2023, 9:48 am

Programs: QR Plat
I have lost count of how many extension there has been now, but I'm almost left with the impression that there is serious attrition going on and QR is seeing some serious tier drain going on.

-A
SullyofDoha and tav1989 like this.
Old Mar 31, 2023, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by ph-ndr
I have lost count of how many extension there has been now, but I'm almost left with the impression that there is serious attrition going on and QR is seeing some serious tier drain going on.

-A
This may be true, there are certainly a lot of people in HIA currently but anecdotally business travel is still down and new/revenge travellers may not become loyal or valuable long term. This is a bit of a finger up to those who took the "renew or be downgraded" messaging at face value though and have been spending money. That messaging and the associated offers were perfectly reasonable and very generous. People had a long time to take advantage of them or choose not to.

QR could be in the position now where with extensions from early 2020 until end of 2023, they are paying out for lounge access etc for higher tier members flying other oneworld carriers all that time but who haven't spent any money with QR since 2019. Something that encourages people to spend money with QR to earn or renew status makes much more sense
Old Mar 31, 2023, 11:07 am

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I guess you can’t please all of the people all of the time!

Personally, I’m super happy to see an extension on my account - I have started travelling again this year but not enough to re-qualify for Platinum by end of March. I was resigned to a status downgrade now and then regaining Platinum in a few months’ time - so I’m really happy that I will now be able to keep all the benefits in the interim.

For those who spent money purely to re-qualify: commiserations. I assume you will have 60 qcredits added to your account, which those of us with an extension won’t get - but obviously that’s a fairly negligible return on your investment if you always travel premium classes anyway.

From me at least, a big thumbs up to QR
GalaxyChris and tav1989 like this.
Old Apr 1, 2023, 2:02 am

Programs: QR Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Thumbs down

As a Platinum member, I met the requalification requirements and got my tier extended until 31st March 2024 (along this the hard to use 60 Qcredit)

So basically, when you requalify, you only get 3 extra months compared to someone that may not have spent a dime with QR over the past 3 years.

I hope they'll quickly realize how unfair this situation is and offer more than this poor 3-month extension.

Has anyone in this situation reached out/complained to QR Pivilege Club?
khabah likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2023, 2:29 am

Programs: *G (TK elite+), OW sapphire (QR), ST elite plus (AF). LA black
my status was extended until Dec 31 2023 - I have not had any flights credited to the program during the challenge. 😳
Old Apr 1, 2023, 2:37 am

Programs: FB PFL, TK Gold, PC Platinum
Question

Originally Posted by Fromager
As a Platinum member, I met the requalification requirements and got my tier extended until 31st March 2024 (along this the hard to use 60 Qcredit)

So basically, when you requalify, you only get 3 extra months compared to someone that may not have spent a dime with QR over the past 3 years.

I hope they'll quickly realize how unfair this situation is and offer more than this poor 3-month extension.

Has anyone in this situation reached out/complained to QR Pivilege Club?
I have a different situation .. managed to collect the required 400 Qpoints exactly on the 31 of May. However, my card is showing valid only until dec 31 2023, got no qcredits AND it shows that I need to get 260 Qpoints by Dec 31 2023 to re-qualify ...
Old Apr 1, 2023, 2:52 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
So after spending a small fortune to gain the necessary points in a short time to retain status, they just go ahead and extend status anyway.

I’m… kind of annoyed.

khabah
Old Apr 1, 2023, 3:09 am

Originally Posted by toastedcafe
I have a different situation .. managed to collect the required 400 Qpoints exactly on the 31 of May. However, my card is showing valid only until dec 31 2023, got no qcredits AND it shows that I need to get 260 Qpoints by Dec 31 2023 to re-qualify ...
Chopping and changing people's 12 month qualifying period is another issue with these on/off & part year extensions. Great for those who haven't travelled, but let's just say "suboptimal" for those who have. It’s a bit of a mess.
Old Apr 1, 2023, 3:32 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Fromager
Same date for me too. I think a soft landing down one level would have been better than a blanket extension, but QR has clearly been struggling to hit their targets for QRPC members since they butchered the programme pre-COVID as I've posted here before (perhaps they should look at why the programme is just not that attractive rather than constant extensions and bonus Qpoint offers...). I wonder if part of this is also that QR is generally more leisure than business traveler focused as an airline, whereas QRPC membership skews towards business travelers and these business travelers haven't come back (yet). In any case, not unique what QR is doing here - many of the hotel chains did something similar recently that left a bad taste in the mouth for anyone that actually bothered to requalify in 2022.

My main issue is this clearly creates the potential for the Al Safwa crowding situation to get even worse as all these people who wouldn't have retained status start travelling more again.
fender5787 and KingCanute like this.
Old Apr 1, 2023, 6:02 am

Programs: TK EL+, QR Platinum, HH Diamond, Accor Platinum
By now you will have learned the only proof you have is you cannot trust QRs misleading (deceptive?) marketing.
Old Apr 1, 2023, 6:18 am

Programs: FB PFL, TK Gold, PC Platinum
Originally Posted by Danny Martello
By now you will have learned the only proof you have is you cannot trust QRs misleading (deceptive?) marketing.
Well, perhaps the positive side is that my requalification date has changed which makes it easier for me obtain enough Qpoints by dec 31 and thus requalify for 2024.. Anyhow, I'm struggling to understand all this mess..
Old Apr 1, 2023, 7:26 am

Programs: TK EL+, QR Platinum, HH Diamond, Accor Platinum
Well, perhaps the positive side is that my requalification date has changed which makes it easier for me obtain enough Qpoints by dec 31 and thus requalify for 2024.. Anyhow, I'm struggling to understand all this mess..
That was my point. What makes you so sure you need 260 points by 31.12.24 to requalify? They have shown a lot of creativity lately in changing their requirements in an ad hoc manner. Even changing dates/T&C of promotions without informing their customers. We only found out through contributors in this forum.
SullyofDoha likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2023, 7:44 am

Programs: TK Elite, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver
Logged in today on the app and my Platinum status shows expiry - Dec. 31, 2023. I guess it would make us consider booking QR in our future trips.
Old Apr 1, 2023, 8:17 am

Programs: QR P; HH D; IHG SpAmb
For me, it also shows status until Dec 31 now although i did not earn enough qpoints to requalify.

Where on the website does it actually show how many qpoints you need to re-qualify and by when?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.