Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

QR Status just extended until 31 March 2023

QR Status just extended until 31 March 2023

Old Apr 1, 2023, 8:31 am

Programs: QR Privilege Club Marriott Bonvoy
Fully agree a soft landing would have been much more suitable here. Dissappointing that I went out of my way to retain my status for it only to be an extra 3 months on top of extensions.
Old Apr 1, 2023, 8:43 am

Programs: QR Plat
Originally Posted by KingCanute
This may be true, there are certainly a lot of people in HIA currently but anecdotally business travel is still down and new/revenge travellers may not become loyal or valuable long term. This is a bit of a finger up to those who took the "renew or be downgraded" messaging at face value though and have been spending money. That messaging and the associated offers were perfectly reasonable and very generous. People had a long time to take advantage of them or choose not to.

QR could be in the position now where with extensions from early 2020 until end of 2023, they are paying out for lounge access etc for higher tier members flying other oneworld carriers all that time but who haven't spent any money with QR since 2019. Something that encourages people to spend money with QR to earn or renew status makes much more sense
The fact that QR renewed me in spite of missing a few points is likely to sway me to look for QR tickets for my next trip. So it probably will turn into a good investment for QR.

-A
Traveller999 likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2023, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by ph-ndr
The fact that QR renewed me in spite of missing a few points is likely to sway me to look for QR tickets for my next trip. So it probably will turn into a good investment for QR.

-A
I don't think anyone is disagreeing that encouraging lapsed travellers to travel more is good for business. It's the differential that upsets people. Saying one thing and then doing another is a potential disincentive to those who did the one thing but now without any substantive credit. Itís great for those who chose not to take advantage of the easy requalifying of course, no question. And perhaps those who did the one thing are a massive minority. Doesn't feel like it in full cabins on board or in places like AS though
Traveller999 likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2023, 9:15 am

Programs: QR Plat
Originally Posted by KingCanute
I don't think anyone is disagreeing that encouraging lapsed travellers to travel more is good for business. It's the differential that upsets people. Saying one thing and then doing another is a potential disincentive to those who did the one thing but now without any substantive credit. Itís great for those who chose not to take advantage of the easy requalifying of course, no question. And perhaps those who did the one thing are a massive minority. Doesn't feel like it in full cabins on board or in places like AS though
I agree, I was very close to getting myself a 3k USD ticket to Singapore to make sure I got over the line, and I would be equally miffed if I did that and saw lots of others get over the line without the effort. But this is pretty on brand for QR, things aren't settled until they are, and mixed messaging and actions is the norm in many ways. I believe QR is what we call chaotic neutral.

-A
Old Apr 1, 2023, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by ph-ndr
I agree, I was very close to getting myself a 3k USD ticket to Singapore to make sure I got over the line, and I would be equally miffed if I did that and saw lots of others get over the line without the effort. But this is pretty on brand for QR, things aren't settled until they are, and mixed messaging and actions is the norm in many ways. I believe QR is what we call chaotic neutral.

-A
Your wallet struck lucky then

In my experience they've been pretty good to regular costomers lately so this falls down more than a little bit. But it is very easy for them to identify who has requalified through spending money so I'm expecting some sort of mega offer/discount/tier extension any day now... (looking at you #goingplacestogether )
Loungeabout likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2023, 11:15 am

Programs: QR PC Platinum, TK M&S elite, UA silver, ITA Voltaire Executive (lol), Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Fromager
As a Platinum member, I met the requalification requirements and got my tier extended until 31st March 2024 (along this the hard to use 60 Qcredit)

So basically, when you requalify, you only get 3 extra months compared to someone that may not have spent a dime with QR over the past 3 years.

I hope they'll quickly realize how unfair this situation is and offer more than this poor 3-month extension.

Has anyone in this situation reached out/complained to QR Pivilege Club?
TBF, there are some of us that followed the original rules and requalified Dec 31st, 2022 and didnít get 3 extra months or anything 🙃. Yes, Iím a bit bitter, but on the other hand Iím happy for everyone and also having a larger elite membership pool may incentivize QR to finally invest in QRPC, but who knows.
Traveller999 and KingCanute like this.

Last edited by fender5787; Apr 1, 2023 at 2:07 pm
Old Apr 1, 2023, 12:52 pm

Wow, didn`t see that one coming, I got extended aswell. Are they losing elites by the thousands? Or whats going on?
Old Apr 1, 2023, 1:44 pm

Programs: FB PFL, TK Gold, PC Platinum
Originally Posted by a9504477
For me, it also shows status until Dec 31 now although i did not earn enough qpoints to requalify.

Where on the website does it actually show how many qpoints you need to re-qualify and by when?
Old Apr 1, 2023, 3:14 pm

Programs: QR P; HH D; IHG SpAmb
Originally Posted by toastedcafe
Thanks, wouldn't have looked there. Seems pretty messed up though as eg for me is showing as the full 540 needed even though i have earned some qpoints recently...
Old Apr 1, 2023, 11:26 pm

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
Originally Posted by Stil
Wow, didn`t see that one coming, I got extended aswell. Are they losing elites by the thousands? Or whats going on?
Since Qatar Airways drastically increased J class prices, there has most likely been a huge drop in repeat travelers.
florin, Traveller999 and Stil like this.
Old Apr 1, 2023, 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by SullyofDoha
Since Qatar Airways drastically increased J class prices, there has most likely been a huge drop in repeat travelers.
Ticket prices are significantly up industry wide not just a QR thing. I see that you are based in Doha, YMMV but ticket prices for the cheaper business class fares to places like CDG, JFK, LHR are about they same as they were in 2019.

Overall QR flights are fuller, DOH is on track to exceed 2019 numbers. It could be that certain segments have not been flying as much, such as ex-China, ex-Africa to China or certain corporate customers and QR just extended everyone rather than these specific segments.
Old Apr 2, 2023, 12:33 am

Programs: QR Platinum, Star Alliance Gold (LH Sen)
I did requalify my Platinum status in November 2022 regularly and right now I do have enough points for requalification this November, so no ďbenefitĒ for me with all the extensions.
But my wife got the benefit of extension of her Platinum status now, till end of 2023 - so all in all, I am fine with :-) as we now have +25kg each, luggage allowance - and trust me, that is needed when we travel together (plus our little 5 year girl) 😂
KingCanute likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2023, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by fender5787
TBF, there are some of us that followed the original rules and requalified Dec 31st, 2022 and didnít get 3 extra months or anything 🙃. Yes, Iím a bit bitter, but on the other hand Iím happy for everyone and also having a larger elite membership pool may incentivize QR to finally invest in QRPC, but who knows.
Agreed, some of us have continued to easily qualify for Plat all through covid. Now having to sleep in a chair in AS because of full rooms is diluting the entire experience. Hey QR, maybe a lifetime Plat status based on spend/5 years ? That and stop cheapening the Plat tier with endless extensions for status match freebies. It would really incentivize flyers like me to stop sending half my $ to EK.
Old Apr 2, 2023, 5:40 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by ecanem22
Agreed, some of us have continued to easily qualify for Plat all through covid. Now having to sleep in a chair in AS because of full rooms is diluting the entire experience. Hey QR, maybe a lifetime Plat status based on spend/5 years ? That and stop cheapening the Plat tier with endless extensions for status match freebies. It would really incentivize flyers like me to stop sending half my $ to EK.
At the end of the day though, everyone always wants the status level set just below whatever level they are. E.g. I am half minded to argue the downhill quality spiral started when they started letting Plats into Al Safwa for free full stop, used to be amazing to rock up and have no waiting for anything at peak times…

I get why QR is doing it (and we aren’t going to get a sleeping room in the EK F lounge either!).
Old Apr 2, 2023, 11:29 am

Programs: Some
Just noticed another oddity - my lounge passes are now valid until 30 March 2024 but my Qcredits are valid until 31 March 2025...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.