Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

QR Status just extended until 31 March 2023

QR Status just extended until 31 March 2023

Old Apr 2, 2023, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Just noticed another oddity - my lounge passes are now valid until 30 March 2024 but my Qcredits are valid until 31 March 2025...
The lifespan of qcredits was extended to 24 months a few years ago, so that 2025 expiry is correct
Old Apr 3, 2023, 1:49 am

Programs: QRPC Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHg Diamond Amb, Sixt Diamond, Avis Pres, AmexCenturion
Originally Posted by lifeonthego_k
My Mom, Dad and I got a pleasant surprise this morning when we logged into our accounts - status extended till 31/12/2023!

Unpleasant surprise for the Qatar faithful! It is so easy to get 1500-2000 qpoints per year that there really is no need to extend status. If you didnt earn it you dont deserve it.
Old Apr 3, 2023, 5:41 am

Programs: QR PC, BA EC, KrisFlyer
I think people are more likely to stick to QR and pay higher price than other airlines when they've earned status (especially higher status with more perks) so that might be why QR keeps extending the expiry until demand for flight drops (perhaps next year) and that they need to reduce the price of tickets to remain competitive. There's probably still very high demand for travel this summer (northern hemisphere / europe) as ticket prices are still way above pre-pandemic levels across all airlines, exceeding inflation and often double of ticket prices before 2020.
Traveller999 likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2023, 7:45 pm

Programs: SK*G, QR*G
How to requalify

I was also extended until 31dec.
Can someone help me understand how many qpoints I need to requalify (provided no more extensions)? Currently the app says 162 qpoints and 438 qpoints required to Platinum
I had some flights in august last year. I think they use a rolling 12 months qualifying, so does that mean that I need the points before august this year (as the qpoints will "expire" in august?

I'm also confused on how this works in a normal year. If you join in january year 0, reach silver in march, which will be valid until march year 1, then reach gold in june year 0 - valid until june year 1, how many new points do you need after june year 0 to requalify? Does the miles you earned in february year 0 count in the rolling 12 months?
Old Apr 3, 2023, 11:57 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, Star Alliance Gold (LH Sen)
Originally Posted by SAWorldVoyager
Unpleasant surprise for the Qatar faithful! It is so easy to get 1500-2000 qpoints per year that there really is no need to extend status. If you didnt earn it you dont deserve it.
I would say it is up to QR if they give the benefit of "not earned" status extension or not. Just be happy for those who got it ;-)
By the way, to earn 1500 to 2000 QPoints per year is not so easy, it requires quite extensive traveling ....at least that is my "feeling" with :-)
Old Apr 4, 2023, 12:42 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Gold here, my status still expires on 13 May 2023, so no extension. All good, I'm requalifying anyway.
Old Apr 4, 2023, 12:43 am

Originally Posted by nick5000
I was also extended until 31dec.
Can someone help me understand how many qpoints I need to requalify (provided no more extensions)? Currently the app says 162 qpoints and 438 qpoints required to Platinum
I had some flights in august last year. I think they use a rolling 12 months qualifying, so does that mean that I need the points before august this year (as the qpoints will "expire" in august?

I'm also confused on how this works in a normal year. If you join in january year 0, reach silver in march, which will be valid until march year 1, then reach gold in june year 0 - valid until june year 1, how many new points do you need after june year 0 to requalify? Does the miles you earned in february year 0 count in the rolling 12 months?
There are two different calculations here - requalification in the same tier based on a fixed 12 month period, and upgrading to a higher tier based on a rolling 12 month period

To requalify in your current tier, you need to accrue the necessary qpoints during the 12 months directly before your current tier expiry date. So if your tier expires on 31 Dec 23, you need to earn the qpoints between 1 Jan 23 and 31 Dec 23. Qpoints earned prior to 1 Jan 23 are only counted if you need to requalify using the 2 year calculation, ie in practice you travelled more last year than this and earned double the one year requirement between 1 Jan 22 and 31 Dec 23

The rolling 12 month calculation is only used for tier upgrades. If at any time during a rolling 12 months you accrue sufficient qpoints to cross the threshold for a higher tier, you will be upgraded immediately, and your renewal date for that tier will be set to 12 months from that date

So qpoints earned in Aug 22 will expire in Aug 23 for the rolling tier upgrade calculation. Those qpoints will also not be used as part of the calculation to renew your tier past 31 Dec 23 as they were prior to your current membership year, unless of course you rely on the 24 month calculation

It may seem confusing at first glance but separating the renewal and upgrade calculations hopefully makes it a bit clearer
Edvard and GalaxyChris like this.
Old Apr 4, 2023, 1:27 am

Originally Posted by KingCanute
There are two different calculations here - requalification in the same tier based on a fixed 12 month period, and upgrading to a higher tier based on a rolling 12 month period

To requalify in your current tier, you need to accrue the necessary qpoints during the 12 months directly before your current tier expiry date. So if your tier expires on 31 Dec 23, you need to earn the qpoints between 1 Jan 23 and 31 Dec 23. Qpoints earned prior to 1 Jan 23 are only counted if you need to requalify using the 2 year calculation, ie in practice you travelled more last year than this and earned double the one year requirement between 1 Jan 22 and 31 Dec 23

The rolling 12 month calculation is only used for tier upgrades. If at any time during a rolling 12 months you accrue sufficient qpoints to cross the threshold for a higher tier, you will be upgraded immediately, and your renewal date for that tier will be set to 12 months from that date

So qpoints earned in Aug 22 will expire in Aug 23 for the rolling tier upgrade calculation. Those qpoints will also not be used as part of the calculation to renew your tier past 31 Dec 23 as they were prior to your current membership year, unless of course you rely on the 24 month calculation

It may seem confusing at first glance but separating the renewal and upgrade calculations hopefully makes it a bit clearer
Thanks. But how do I know how many qpoints I need this year to requalify ? Do I need to manually check and calculate, deducted the flights from August 22? Most other airlines have a much more straightforward way, the tell you how many miles you need before a certain date.

It says I have 162 qpoints. But I only earned around 60 in 2023, so I should add those earned up this year and only consider those for the requalification?

Last edited by nick5000; Apr 4, 2023 at 1:36 am
Old Apr 4, 2023, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by nick5000
Thanks. But how do I know how many qpoints I need this year to requalify ? Do I need to manually check and calculate, deducted the flights from August 22? Most other airlines have a much more straightforward way, the tell you how many miles you need before a certain date.

It says I have 162 qpoints. But I only earned around 60 in 2023, so I should add those earned up this year and only consider those for the requalification?
As I said, if your tier expiry is now 31 Dec 23, it is only the qpoints you accrue between 1 Jan 23 and 31 Dec 23 that will be used to determine if you renew at your current level, or are downgraded if you do not accrue enough to renew.

The qpoints you need to accrue during 2023 to renew your current tier are as follows:

silver - 135
gold - 270
platinum - 540

Any qpoints accrued during 2022 only count towards renewal at the end of 2023 if you are relying on the 24 month qualification period, when between 1 Jan 22 and 31 Dec 23 you would need to have accrued:

silver- 270
gold - 540
platinum - 1080

The 162 is your current rolling 12 month total. This is useful for calculating any potential upgrade to a higher tier and is a separate calculation period from that for renewal, as outlined previously. More info here:

https://www.qatarairways.com/en/Priv...n-qpoints.html
florin, nick5000 and heliot2009 like this.
Old Apr 4, 2023, 2:20 am
Original Poster

Does anyone else remember on the QRPC dashboard, there used to be a very useful graphic that clearly showed how many Q points you needed to get to the next tier and how many Q points you needed to renew your current tier? Then a few years ago they just removed it for no apparent reason. I know you can check how much you need for the next tier on the calculator, but there really isn't a useful way of seeing how many point you need to renew. Unless I am missing something?
Old Apr 4, 2023, 2:24 am

As I said, if your tier expiry is now 31 Dec 23, it is only the qpoints you accrue between 1 Jan 23 and 31 Dec 23 that will be used to determine if you renew at your current level, or are downgraded if you do not accrue enough to renew.

The qpoints you need to accrue during 2023 to renew your current tier are as follows:

silver - 135
gold - 270
platinum - 540

Any qpoints accrued during 2022 only count towards renewal at the end of 2023 if you are relying on the 24 month qualification period, when between 1 Jan 22 and 31 Dec 23 you would need to have accrued:

silver- 270
gold - 540
platinum - 1080

The 162 is your current rolling 12 month total. This is useful for calculating any potential upgrade to a higher tier and is a separate calculation period from that for renewal, as outlined previously. More info here:

https://www.qatarairways.com/en/Priv...n-qpoints.html
Ok, got it, thanks. Just strange that I have to keep track of this manually, and add together the QPoints I earn in 2023.
Old Apr 4, 2023, 5:15 am

Programs: QR P; HH D; IHG SpAmb

Assuming my Platinum status was to expire in March, and having earned 100 qpoints last November, my plan was to earn another 200 qpoints before this November and thus, assuming i would have soft-landed on Gold now, requalified for Gold, with validity until October 2024, and got 40 qcredits.

Now with Platinum status until Dec 23, the planned 200 qpoints this year would not be enough and i would need to earn a further 100 qpoints this year to qualify for Gold in 2024 and get 40 qcredits - or not do anything at all and soft-land on Gold with validity until end 2024 (but no qcredits).

Is this correct?
Old Apr 4, 2023, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by a9504477
Assuming my Platinum status was to expire in March, and having earned 100 qpoints last November, my plan was to earn another 200 qpoints before this November and thus, assuming i would have soft-landed on Gold now, requalified for Gold, with validity until October 2024, and got 40 qcredits.

Now with Platinum status until Dec 23, the planned 200 qpoints this year would not be enough and i would need to earn a further 100 qpoints this year to qualify for Gold in 2024 and get 40 qcredits - or not do anything at all and soft-land on Gold with validity until end 2024 (but no qcredits).

Is this correct?
If your tier had soft landed to gold on 1 Apr 23, your membership year would now be 1 Apr 23 to 31 Mar 24. Only the qpoints you accrue between those dates would have counted towards whether you are gold again from 1 Apr 24 onwards.

But your platinum tier was extended and so your membership year is now probably showing as 1 Jan 23 to 31 Dec 23. Only qpoints earned between those dates will count towards your renewal from 1 Jan 24.

In both cases, the qpoints from Nov 22 do not fall into either qualifying period and so do not count towards your current membership year calculation (unless you qualify under the 24 month calculation, which it does not sound as though you do)

The qpoints earned in "any twelve months" or the rolling 12 months total only counts towards tier upgrades. But you are already in the highest tier so that does not apply to you currently. If you accrue 540 new qpoints between 1 Jan 23 and 31 Dec 23, you will renew platinum from 1 Jan 24 and receive 60 qcredits. If you accrue fewer during that time you will be downgraded.

This is assuming they don't hand out further extensions or change the requalification levels or soft landing policy again

The difference between the fixed renewal year and the rolling upgrade year seems quite clear to me, but perhaps somebody else could chip in now if I'm not being clear enough
Danny Martello likes this.

Last edited by KingCanute; Apr 4, 2023 at 9:10 am
Old Apr 4, 2023, 2:43 pm

Programs: QR P; HH D; IHG SpAmb
The qpoints earned in "any twelve months" or the rolling 12 months total only counts towards tier upgrades. But you are already in the highest tier so that does not apply to you currently. If you accrue 540 new qpoints between 1 Jan 23 and 31 Dec 23, you will renew platinum from 1 Jan 24 and receive 60 qcredits. If you accrue fewer during that time you will be downgraded.
I understand that if i earn only 300 qpoints between 1 Jan 23 and 31 Dec 23, i will be only Gold in 2024, but will i get the 40 qcredits?
Old Apr 5, 2023, 3:08 am

Originally Posted by a9504477
I understand that if i earn only 300 qpoints between 1 Jan 23 and 31 Dec 23, i will be only Gold in 2024, but will i get the 40 qcredits?
If you earn any tier under the normal rules by accruing sufficient Qpoints during your membership year, why would you think you that wouldn't receive the benefits that come with that tier?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.