Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Low Passenger Loads from Doha to Thailand destinations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Low Passenger Loads from Doha to Thailand destinations

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2017, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
I've been twice to SE Asia in the last couple of weeks.

MAN <-> DOH were around half full, one of them much less than half.

The DOH <-> KUL, CGK were even less crowded

But the highlight was CGK DOH: one passenger in business-class and 33 of us spread around the economy cabin.

Existential crisis for QR?
Old Oct 20, 2017, 5:03 am

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
I tend to believe that the blockade has had a terrible effect on QR's loads. The KSA and UAE were QR's two largest feeder markets and that traffic has not been replaced. I flew QR last week and my flights were all less than half-full as well - the highlights being 36 pax on DOH-KUL 788 and 57 pax on DOH-PHL A350. The service was top notch with so few pax.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 5:07 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Zolex
2 months ago there were only 4 passengers (myself included) in J BRU-DOH on the A350, quite a pleasant experience I must say!
Crazy. Every time I've taken this flight, J is basically full. Last time was 3 weeks ago.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by dls25
I flew QR last week and my flights were all less than half-full as well - the highlights being 36 pax on DOH-KUL 788 and 57 pax on DOH-PHL A350.
It obviously depends on the route. I've always thought of PHL as a bit of an oddball for an international gateway. Not really that far from NYC or Washington. For O/D it has a fairly limited area. Much better options for both long haul international and domestic connections at LGA/JFK/EWR, BOS and DCA/IAD. So PHL doesn't shock me.

Still excellent loads on LAX (which I've flown twice roundtrip in the last two months) and BOS. Can't speak for JFK or ORD.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 9:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, QRPC Silver, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Just came off TXL-DOH, both business and economy completely full.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 2:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I've been twice to SE Asia in the last couple of weeks.

MAN <-> DOH were around half full, one of them much less than half.

The DOH <-> KUL, CGK were even less crowded

But the highlight was CGK DOH: one passenger in business-class and 33 of us spread around the economy cabin.

Existential crisis for QR?
I think some routes like CGK and MNL have very heavy traffic of guest workers to other middle east countries. The blockage definitely has huge impact on the routes to Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines.

Routes to Thailand being empty is the fault of Qatar's revenue and marketing teams. (i.e. with right price and promotion flights to Krabi should not be empty)
Old Oct 21, 2017, 2:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
It obviously depends on the route. I've always thought of PHL as a bit of an oddball for an international gateway. Not really that far from NYC or Washington. For O/D it has a fairly limited area. Much better options for both long haul international and domestic connections at LGA/JFK/EWR, BOS and DCA/IAD. So PHL doesn't shock me.

Still excellent loads on LAX (which I've flown twice roundtrip in the last two months) and BOS. Can't speak for JFK or ORD.
It is well known that PHL-XXX (I am sure you can figure out what is XXX) for 2 other airlines based in the USA are disasters too.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 7:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, QRPC Silver, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by chongcao
I think some routes like CGK and MNL have very heavy traffic of guest workers to other middle east countries. The blockage definitely has huge impact on the routes to Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines.

Routes to Thailand being empty is the fault of Qatar's revenue and marketing teams. (i.e. with right price and promotion flights to Krabi should not be empty)
today's DOH-KUL flight full in J, many connected on the same flight from TXL, Y was 3/4 full though. Of course it could be the weekend crowd?
Old Oct 21, 2017, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by chongcao
Well that is the puzzle. The revenue management team seem to be sleeping: with 10% load-factors they should be chasing contribution from across their network.

They say micro-management from on high paralyses initiative.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 1:43 am

Anyone's thoughts on how full the cabins might be for the following times/days
PHL-DOH early November on Wed morning
DOH-KUL Thursday afternoon

KUL -DOH Tuesday evening late November
DOH-PHL Tuesday overnight.

Any thoughts from past experience? Was wishing to change flying from JFK but these numbers sound much better.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 5:54 am

Programs: Flying Blue, BA Executive Club, LH Miles & More, Air Asia BigShot, Les Collectioneurs
Shocking ammount of pax! Why not leave the plane on the ground and rebook clients on other flights? Might cost a bit of compensation, but saves a lot of fuel! Or does Qatar need the cargo space?
Old Oct 23, 2017, 5:59 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Weird - it never happens to me The poorest L/F I recently experienced was on a LO WAW-PRG flight some 3 weeks ago - 1 in C (no me, though) / 15 in Y
Old Oct 23, 2017, 6:23 am

Programs: EK Silver, QR Gold
Originally Posted by Justin Case
Shocking ammount of pax! Why not leave the plane on the ground and rebook clients on other flights? Might cost a bit of compensation, but saves a lot of fuel! Or does Qatar need the cargo space?
Pretty impossible seeing the plane was at KBV..
Old Oct 23, 2017, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by lovefly88
Anyone's thoughts on how full the cabins might be for the following times/days
PHL-DOH early November on Wed morning
DOH-KUL Thursday afternoon

KUL -DOH Tuesday evening late November
DOH-PHL Tuesday overnight.

Any thoughts from past experience? Was wishing to change flying from JFK but these numbers sound much better.
If you're leaving on the 8th, you should invite the city of Philly with you!
Old Oct 23, 2017, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by Downunderdesert
If you're leaving on the 8th, you should invite the city of Philly with you!
im not based in Philly so probably out of the loop. Is there something special going on and you think the flight will be full or empty?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.