Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

+Qatar - Doha Hotel stopovers no longer free

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 7, 2018, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: escape4
Thought it would be worthwhile setting up a Wiki for this so all the information needed is in a single place:

The offer is being able to book 1 night in a 4 Star hotel in Doha for 23 USD or 5 Star hotel for 28 USD
The tickets need to be on 157-xxxx stock (QR) and the layover has to be for a minimum of 12 hours.

Confirmed by QR:
Offer valid for Qatar Airways confirmed ticket holders only.
Offer is available on Qatar Airways flights transiting through Doha during on-ward or return journey. (E.g.
London –Doha – Bangkok).
For two (or more) people travelling together both outward and return hotels can be booked on separate tickets.
A minimum transiting time of 12 hours is required to be eligible for this offer.
Not applicable on codeshare flights.
Other terms and conditions apply. Please review at the time of booking.
A valid visa is required to enter the country.Nationals from a total of 80 countries can now take advantage
of visa-free entry into Qatar. Entry into Qatar will be at the discretion of the immigration authorities.
Discover Qatar is not responsible for the decision taken by the immigration authorities.

Link with full information is : https://www.qatarairways.com/en/offers/plus-qatar.html
Booking page is : https://discoverqatar.qatarairways.com/us-en/plusqatar

Hotels:

To be completed think it would be useful to mention advantages / Distances from attractions here but mine is:

Warwick Doha

Transport:

By far Uber is the best option in Qatar and is easy to book using the Airport and the hotel wifi.
Print Wikipost

+Qatar - Doha Hotel stopovers no longer free

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2018, 8:32 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by stewaran
Thats good to hear

Sadly dont have status with Marriott, so ill have to slum it in the standard room!
I think you will be fine. The price is right anyways! Mall is easy walk if you want cheaper food options than that hotel.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 10:48 am

Programs: DL EK QR TK
I'm in Doha right now on the Qatar + Discovery stopover. I arrived about 2:30pm and it was a cluster in immigration. Then nobody was manning the Qater+ booth so I paid for a bus to the souk (which I thought was complimentary).

By the time I arrived there it was getting dark so I decided to catch a taxi to the hotel (Warwick). Nope. He had no idea how to get there even though I showed him Google maps.

Ok. So, I started walking a over a mile and saw another bus which took me straight to the hotel.

​​​​​​Arrived at the hotel at 7:30pm!

The only thing good so far is with all the walking around I did, I was able to do some siteseeing along the way, taking photos and videos as the sunset.

If I was to do this all over again, I would just accept Qatar's regular offer for a hotel for long layovers that's not part of the Qatari Tourism program, that comes with complimentary transfer and food vouchers (according to staff at the transfer desk).

​​​​Hopefully, the taxi I get tomorrow morning knows how to get to the airport
Old Feb 8, 2018, 11:28 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by SKOOBDO
I'm in Doha right now on the Qatar + Discovery stopover. I arrived about 2:30pm and it was a cluster in immigration. Then nobody was manning the Qater+ booth so I paid for a bus to the souk (which I thought was complimentary).

By the time I arrived there it was getting dark so I decided to catch a taxi to the hotel (Warwick). Nope. He had no idea how to get there even though I showed him Google maps.

Ok. So, I started walking a over a mile and saw another bus which took me straight to the hotel.

​​​​​​Arrived at the hotel at 7:30pm!

The only thing good so far is with all the walking around I did, I was able to do some siteseeing along the way, taking photos and videos as the sunset.

If I was to do this all over again, I would just accept Qatar's regular offer for a hotel for long layovers that's not part of the Qatari Tourism program, that comes with complimentary transfer and food vouchers (according to staff at the transfer desk).

There is no transport included in the +Qatar scheme. I wasn't aware there is a booth for it either. Isn't that for the Stopover Package (STPC)?

But yeah if you qualify for the Stopover Package then you are better going with that as it includes transfer and food. But there are much tighter rules for that, not just a long layover like the +Qatar scheme.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by wheatbeer
There is no transport included in the +Qatar scheme. I wasn't aware there is a booth for it either. Isn't that for the Stopover Package (STPC)?

But yeah if you qualify for the Stopover Package then you are better going with that as it includes transfer and food. But there are much tighter rules for that, not just a long layover like the +Qatar scheme.
Yes. There's a Qatar+ Discovery desk right before you go through customs near baggage claim. The reps at the transit desk told me to go there to get a complimentary shuttle. Right hand don't know what the left hand is doing.

They told me I qualified for the layover option, but since I already booked the +Qatar I went with the original option.

Oh well, I will know next time.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 3:03 pm

I admire your optimism.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 9:31 pm
R2

Yes. There's a Qatar+ Discovery desk right before you go through customs near baggage claim. The reps at the transit desk told me to go there to get a complimentary shuttle. Right hand don't know what the left hand is doing.

They told me I qualified for the layover option, but since I already booked the +Qatar I went with the original option.
I very much doubt the Qatar+ airport reps would know if you would have qualified for the free STPC.

Thanks for this information, I'll be doing the Qatar+ next week and my hotel does not include free transfers but I might as well go to desk and ask about it.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by R2
Thanks for this information, I'll be doing the Qatar+ next week and my hotel does not include free transfers but I might as well go to desk and ask about it.

Uber/taxi is inexpensive, fast, immediate and avoids the faff and time-wasting cajoling QR
Old Feb 9, 2018, 1:01 am

Programs: BA GOLD
Originally Posted by R2
I very much doubt the Qatar+ airport reps would know if you would have qualified for the free STPC.

During my recent trip our taxi from the airport to the Westin cost 50 Riyals including a tip - it really wan't worth wasting time looking for a free transfer.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 8:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Same trip (to the Westin) in an Uber is 27qr. Fast, cheap, convenient. A free bus is only one of those things in my experience!
Old Feb 10, 2018, 8:59 am

Ok. Here's the final update from my stopover. I booked a taxi from the Warwick Hotel to the airport for 4:30am. The hotel staff told me the maximum fare would be 40 Riyals. So, I agreed since it was close to the UBER fare.

Next morning, taxi showed up got in, and confirmed the price which the driver stated the price was 80 Riyal! Then I asked him why his meter wasn't on. He stated since I booked it with the hotel and it's outside regular hours the fare is more.

Well, I started to get out and he changed the fare to 40 riyals. Scam. My experience in Doha for less than just 24 hours was the worse.

Then the driver told me I should have used Uber because they are better. Seriously, you can't make this stuff up. I told him if they are so much better why isn't he working for them? No comment from him at that point.

One other thing, the lady at the hotel desk told me there has been a major new hiring of taxi drivers and other tour operators in Doha and those personnel (foreigners) aren't very familiar with area yet. If this is true, it would account for the complete cluster I dealt with during my visit.

I won't be going back anytime soon. They're just not ready for mass tourism.

But, the major takeaway from all this, is like the other posters mentioned. Take a Uber! No bus, No Taxi. Just an Uber and walk around. Do your own tour on your own. Good luck!
Old Feb 10, 2018, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Ok. Here's the final update from my stopover. I booked a taxi from the Warwick Hotel to the airport for 4:30am. The hotel staff told me the maximum fare would be 40 Riyals. So, I agreed since it was close to the UBER fare.

Next morning, taxi showed up got in, and confirmed the price which the driver stated the price was 80 Riyal! Then I asked him why his meter wasn't on. He stated since I booked it with the hotel and it's outside regular hours the fare is more.

Well, I started to get out and he changed the fare to 40 riyals. Scam.
Ever been to Bangkok?
FlyingScientist and nilsfr69 like this.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Ever been to Bangkok?
No I haven't yet, but I have been to Istanbul and Mexico City and you expect that to happen in those cities including Bangkok. I guess that's why I like Dubia, their taxis are metered and the drivers are a lot more professional. I guess I was hoping for the same in Doha. Not.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 5:19 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
How long before the last period ended was it extended? Trying to gauge when this might be extended beyond April.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 6:23 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by MegatopLover
How long before the last period ended was it extended? Trying to gauge when this might be extended beyond April.
The last period ending was 12/31, and it was only extended that day or the next.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 9:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by MegatopLover
I don’t know when it might be extended, but I’m willing to bet that it will be extended. In the meantime, book a cancellable hotel room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.