Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

The 'Sake Fare' Meet-Up Thread: AMS/BRU-DOH-TYO

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 12, 2017, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: fbruno
Wiki Updated 2017-09-13 to include #610

QR fare rules for this one can be found here.

I have created a travel trips thread in the Japan forum. A good place to discuss hotels, trips, restaurants and maybe even arrange meet ups: The QR week(end) HND/NRT travel thread (2017)

Sorted by departure month:

November

Outbound
CPH-HND : 03/11/17 : denkigroove
LHR-HND : 03/11/17 : Cymro +1
BRU-NRT : 08/11/17 : mad_rich
AMS-NRT : 08.11.17 : jordie
AMS-HND : 13.11.17 UAPremierGuy
BRU-NRT : 15/11/17 : xtommox
AMS-HND : 15/11/17 : phoneticduck +1
AMS-NRT : 17/11/17 : polochick
BRU-NRT : 17/11/17 : Asserti+1 (DOH-NRT 18/11)
LHR-HND : 18/11/17 : justatourist
AMS-HND : 19/11/17 : Tennislover9
AMS-HND : 20.11.17 : travellingjake +2
LHR-NRT : 23/11/17 : Pilot37
LHR-HND : 23/11/17 : Carofos
AMS-NRT : 24/11/17 : island82

Inbound
HND-AMS : 05/11/17 : toastedcafe
HND-AMS : 11/11/17 : Cymro +1
NRT-AMS : 12.11.17 : jordie
HND-AMS : 19.11.17 : UAPremierGuy
HND-AMS : 21/11/17 : phoneticduck +1
NRT-BRU : 22/11/17 : mad_rich
NRT-BRU : 23/11/17 : Asserti+1 (DOH-BRU 25/11)
HND-AMS : 25/11/17 : denkigroove
HND-AMS : 26/11/17 : Tennislover9
HND-AMS : 26/11/17 : polochick
NRT-BRU : 26/11/17 : fbruno
HND-LHR : 27/11/17 : Pilot37
NRT-AMS : 28/11/17 : island82
NRT-BRU : 28/11/17 : xtommox
HND-LHR : 29/11/17 : Carofos
NRT-MAN : 30.11.17 : travellingjake +2

December

Outbound
BRU-HND : 04/12/17 : jlisi984 +2
AMS-NRT : 10/12/17 : NikaK +1

Inbound
NRT-AMS : 04/12/17 : justatourist
HND-AMS : 12/12/17 : jlisi984 +2
NRT-AMS : 14/12/17 : NikaK +1
Print Wikipost

The 'Sake Fare' Meet-Up Thread: AMS/BRU-DOH-TYO

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2017, 3:21 pm

Programs: BA silver
Originally Posted by Matt4
Don't forget that schedule changes happen and that changes below 2 hours don't allow you to get another flight time or destination for free with QR. Don't forget that delays can happen too.
As my credit card company only allow change fees reimbursements below a 4 hours delay I never risk an under 6 hours connection on separate tickets.
Thanks Matt,

the return is from BRU back to LHR

i think i'll chance it with BA, having completed all legs with QR
Old Sep 6, 2017, 9:53 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by vonlance
Thanks Matt,

the return is from BRU back to LHR

i think i'll chance it with BA, having completed all legs with QR
If you haven't already booked I would counsel caution here! I've done this exact connection twice this year and have another three of the same coming up.

The wrinkle I encountered a few months ago was the QR-contracted staff at HND flat out refused to check my luggage through to the BA flight. If this happens then 1hr 30mins has a high probability of missing the cut off to recheck the bags at the BA desk (as baggage at BRU takes quite a while in my experience, to put it mildly). This also assumes your QR flights are on time.

I have booked BA397 (the 16.40 departure) rather than BA395 (the 15.25 departure) each time for this reason. Both times so far I could probably have made the earlier flight, but is it really worth the risk?
Old Sep 6, 2017, 10:04 am

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
If you haven't already booked I would counsel caution here! I've done this exact connection twice this year and have another three of the same coming up.

The wrinkle I encountered a few months ago was the QR-contracted staff at HND flat out refused to check my luggage through to the BA flight. If this happens then 1hr 30mins has a high probability of missing the cut off to recheck the bags at the BA desk (as baggage at BRU takes quite a while in my experience, to put it mildly). This also assumes your QR flights are on time.

I have booked BA397 (the 16.40 departure) rather than BA395 (the 15.25 departure) each time for this reason. Both times so far I could probably have made the earlier flight, but is it really worth the risk?
Same here, I've booked the 16:40 departure on the Plus fare - giving me flexibility to swap to an earlier flight if I arrive early enough from DOH.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 11:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Radisson VIP, Hertz Gold, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation

worth another "discussion" (argument?) with the HND/QR folks if you have multiple trips planned?

I'll be bringing the relevant policy excerpt with me for just that reason
Old Sep 6, 2017, 5:52 pm

Programs: BA silver
Booked

Guess i'll be chancing it!

Thanks for the advice guys but it's over the 24hr cooling off period
Old Sep 7, 2017, 8:59 am

Programs: BA gold, Hilton Diamond
will be flying on QR812 in October. Since the flight leaves at 7am and arrives around 11pm, I am wondering what and how many meals will be offered. Will I have breakfast after take off, and then dinner later in the flight?
Old Sep 7, 2017, 9:19 am

stijnec if you look at the Wiki on the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...us-2017-a.html widget there is a lik to a sample menu. And remember that you have dine on demand on that flight.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by stijnec
will be flying on QR812 in October. Since the flight leaves at 7am and arrives around 11pm, I am wondering what and how many meals will be offered. Will I have breakfast after take off, and then dinner later in the flight?
Originally Posted by remdk
stijnec if you look at the Wiki on the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...us-2017-a.html widget there is a lik to a sample menu. And remember that you have dine on demand on that flight.
Here you go. Link to QR 812 DOH-HND menu, undated menu but posted January 30, 2017.
Skywalker88 likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 11:16 am

Programs: BA gold, Hilton Diamond
Thanks both. So that means breakfast and a snack. Slightly surprised no dinner is on the menu given the late arrival time
Old Sep 7, 2017, 12:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Radisson VIP, Hertz Gold, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by stijnec
Thanks both. So that means breakfast and a snack. Slightly surprised no dinner is on the menu given the late arrival time
good point. I'll be having a few portions of that filet (fillet?) of beef by the looks of it!
stijnec likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
FYI, both a friend and I have had lamb on separate flights/dates. Both of us felt that while it was delicious in terms of flavoring and preparation, the meat, itself, was quite tough.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 3:14 am

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
I am on one of the equipment change a330 200 this Saturday in C . I see from the Qatar source that all of these have been 300 so far rather than 200. Is there much difference?
Old Sep 12, 2017, 4:00 am

Programs: BA GGL
I'm flying out tomorrow, in Tokyo until the 21st; anyone fancy some sake?
Old Sep 12, 2017, 6:19 am

Programs: BA Bronze! Avis PC
My original AMS-DOH-HND flight got canned several months ago so I requested a reroute LHR-DOH-NRT to avoid a long layover in DOH (happy days). At the time I was advised I couldn't change my return route HND-DOH-AMS

A few weeks ago I noticed my return flight from HND-DOH-AMS was rescheduled so today I called CS and asked if it was possible to reroute me to DUB instead as it allows slightly longer MCT (ofcourse I realise I'm taking the ....) plus I thought DUB was within the 500mile radius according to Webflyer.

The CS agent advised AMS-DUB distance is actually 560miles and therefore wasn't a feasible reroute. I wondering if anyone knows if that's correct?

Interestingly though the CS agent did inform me that I should have been offered the option to return to LHR or any other UK airport during my original call and he would revisit the recording and revert in the next few days with his findings.

Truth is I need to get to DUB so I'm thinking AMS might be a easier connection point than LHR however I'll wait and see what CS conclude.

Last edited by MM00LL2; Sep 12, 2017 at 6:23 am Reason: spelling
Old Sep 12, 2017, 6:32 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by MM00LL2
My original AMS-DOH-HND flight got canned several months ago so I requested a reroute LHR-DOH-NRT to avoid a long layover in DOH (happy days). At the time I was advised I couldn't change my return route HND-DOH-AMS

A few weeks ago I noticed my return flight from HND-DOH-AMS was rescheduled so today I called CS and asked if it was possible to reroute me to DUB instead as it allows slightly longer MCT (ofcourse I realise I'm taking the ....) plus I thought DUB was within the 500mile radius according to Webflyer.

The CS agent advised AMS-DUB distance is actually 560miles and therefore wasn't a feasible reroute. I wondering if anyone knows if that's correct?

Interestingly though the CS agent did inform me that I should have been offered the option to return to LHR or any other UK airport during my original call and he would revisit the recording and revert in the next few days with his findings.

Truth is I need to get to DUB so I'm thinking AMS might be a easier connection point than LHR however I'll wait and see what CS conclude.
DUB could well be out of range, as 500 miles is the limit.

In terms of LHR, you absolutely should have been offered this - and many in the previous pages were delighted with the QR rebooting policy to allow it.

M

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.