Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

The 'Sake Fare' Meet-Up Thread: AMS/BRU-DOH-TYO

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 12, 2017, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: fbruno
Wiki Updated 2017-09-13 to include #610

QR fare rules for this one can be found here.

I have created a travel trips thread in the Japan forum. A good place to discuss hotels, trips, restaurants and maybe even arrange meet ups: The QR week(end) HND/NRT travel thread (2017)

Sorted by departure month:

November

Outbound
CPH-HND : 03/11/17 : denkigroove
LHR-HND : 03/11/17 : Cymro +1
BRU-NRT : 08/11/17 : mad_rich
AMS-NRT : 08.11.17 : jordie
AMS-HND : 13.11.17 UAPremierGuy
BRU-NRT : 15/11/17 : xtommox
AMS-HND : 15/11/17 : phoneticduck +1
AMS-NRT : 17/11/17 : polochick
BRU-NRT : 17/11/17 : Asserti+1 (DOH-NRT 18/11)
LHR-HND : 18/11/17 : justatourist
AMS-HND : 19/11/17 : Tennislover9
AMS-HND : 20.11.17 : travellingjake +2
LHR-NRT : 23/11/17 : Pilot37
LHR-HND : 23/11/17 : Carofos
AMS-NRT : 24/11/17 : island82

Inbound
HND-AMS : 05/11/17 : toastedcafe
HND-AMS : 11/11/17 : Cymro +1
NRT-AMS : 12.11.17 : jordie
HND-AMS : 19.11.17 : UAPremierGuy
HND-AMS : 21/11/17 : phoneticduck +1
NRT-BRU : 22/11/17 : mad_rich
NRT-BRU : 23/11/17 : Asserti+1 (DOH-BRU 25/11)
HND-AMS : 25/11/17 : denkigroove
HND-AMS : 26/11/17 : Tennislover9
HND-AMS : 26/11/17 : polochick
NRT-BRU : 26/11/17 : fbruno
HND-LHR : 27/11/17 : Pilot37
NRT-AMS : 28/11/17 : island82
NRT-BRU : 28/11/17 : xtommox
HND-LHR : 29/11/17 : Carofos
NRT-MAN : 30.11.17 : travellingjake +2

December

Outbound
BRU-HND : 04/12/17 : jlisi984 +2
AMS-NRT : 10/12/17 : NikaK +1

Inbound
NRT-AMS : 04/12/17 : justatourist
HND-AMS : 12/12/17 : jlisi984 +2
NRT-AMS : 14/12/17 : NikaK +1
Print Wikipost

The 'Sake Fare' Meet-Up Thread: AMS/BRU-DOH-TYO

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2017, 6:35 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Just back from my Sake jaunt - very enjoyable experience overall, and for the price - amazing!
Was I blown away by QR? Afraid not, but they were good, and very good in spots. Just arrived in from DOH on the morning A380 flight, not sure if the clientele are different on that particular flight, but I felt sorry for the crew at times, basic manners (and in certain cases bathroom etiquette) were severely lacking! (Not QR’s fault at all!)

Def would return to Tokyo / Japan and I look forward to more QR experiences, but the price would have to be right to add the extra fly timing on most routes to the Far East (def would use them for OZ/NZ).

Pilot37
KARFA likes this.

Last edited by Pilot37; Nov 28, 2017 at 9:47 am
Old Nov 29, 2017, 1:06 am

Originally Posted by Talk To Me Goose
I feel that I have been stitched up on these fares having booked:

12th November 2017:
AMS > DOH QR274 6hr wait into 13/11/17 for DOH > HND QR812

27th November 2017:
NRT > DOH (28/11/17) QR812 2hr 40 wait for DOH > AMS QR273

In the last week I have been notified that
I can tolerate the change on the outbound segment, but an extra 8hrs at Doha on the return leg is intolerable.

What are my options? Are QR messing around with the booking in the hope we cancel and don't travel so they can sell the seats at better prices?

If cancelling is an option what is the procedure? Given the deal I'd be surprised if I was the only person affected?

Many thanks
Returned from holiday in Japan yesterday thanks to the cheap fares. Overall enjoyed my flights with QR and was fortunate to benefit from unexpected but favourable changes to ticketing.

As per the post above the originally booked flights were changed and I was able to re-route the return flight from Doha directly to LHR which was great as its the home base. I arranged this in mid-June, changing from QR275 DOH-AMS (having been switched from QR273) to QR003 DOH-LHR which meant the A380 for one sector. This meant a route of LHR-AMS-DOH-HND and then NRT-DOH-LHR. The return leg looking a lot more enjoyable than the outbound.

Approaching departure date I had observed a 7hr wait at Doha connecting from QR274-QR812 which I was not looking forward to. Trying to be optimistic and reminding myself that if you don't ask you don't get anything I called QR to see if it was possible to change from QR812 DOH-HND to QR806 DOH-NRT which left 4hrs earlier reducing the wait to a much more bearable 3-4hrs. I'll never be one of the people who intentionally spend ours sat in a lounge as part of the experience. They are pleasant places to relax and refresh but still only waiting rooms in my opinion.

Much to my surprise when I explained to the QR agent if we could alter the flights and after waiting on hold for a good 15 minutes the agent re-routed the outward leg to be LHR-DOH QR008 which meant that a positioning flight was not needed into AMS and also to connect with QR806 DOH-NRT which shortened the duration of the flights and reduced waiting times. The time saving was at least 10hrs. As a bonus it also meant that the LHR-DOH flight would be in the new Q Suite.

Having flown EY in the business studio from LHR-SYD & AUH-LHR and the first apartment SYD-AUH I was intrigued to see if the hype over the Q Suite was justified.

Personally it was not appreciably different to EY's studio seat, the TV was larger and the door is a feature that I didn't personally use or like. I am tall and closing the door made the space in the middle row sat next to my girlfriend feel claustrophobic. I can see that the concept works for families and couples when the beds can be joined up however.

Service on all flights was great, particularly the two day flights. I found the 777 J seat to be the best for sleeping, being open it mean I had more space to get comfortable whereas the enclosed seats have less room for one's feet. The al mourjan lounge is an impressive size and I found it hard to find things, it was a welcome relief to the heat and bustle of the terminal below however. The staff were attentive and friendly as you would expect.

Japan is a great place to visit, I would recommend to anybody.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 11:57 am

Programs: LH FTL
Looking forward to visit Tokyo!

FRA/MUC-HND: 07/12/17 : heidelflyer +2
HND-FRA/MUC: 11/12/17 : heidelflyer +2

Almost the last batch of FTers coming home
Old Dec 5, 2017, 9:22 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Hi all,

Just completed my trip on this fare, only change I did was outbound to NRT and inbound from HND. Both originated from AMS.
3 out of 4 flights, load in both J and Y seems ~60% full at best - which was very surprising to me as I had expected a higher load. On my flight back today from DOH-AMS, J was close to 80% full from the looks of it, and Y seems to be the same (such a contrast to my outbound). Had also a "rather" famous Dutch travel channel host on my flight today (she was stuck in Yemen over the weekend due to the ongoing war there).
Crew on all 3 flights were good, only the 1 flight from DOH-AMS where in general the crew was OK but the Cabin supervisor did not go around greeting passengers at departure and arrival like my other 3 flights and saw the FA serving the other side of the plane to be less than stellar compared to the one on my side. Luckily for this particular flight I had a super nice FA that did not really affect my side of the plane - she was just doing everything with a smile and felt genuine.

Though I still can't figure out why flying to Tokyo is < 10 hrs and out of Tokyo to DOH is approx 11.30 mins. Did not realize that wind direction can have up to 2 hours differences in flying time.

Side note: For the first time used the First lounge (for Emerald status) in DOH (due to a coincidence traveling on the same date with a colleague traveling on the same date outbound back in Y), and gosh, the lounge is such a dump. Filled to the brim, lacking service, small and was such a differences to the Al-Mourjan/Al-Safwa lounge. Will certainly never travel at the back of the bus with QR unless the ticket is close to free or differences in ticket prices is big enough. Although surprisingly they have the Billacard champagne in the lounge but not at the Al-Mourjan.

Thanks again to the original OP for sharing. (although most probably QR did not lose much for my flights this time since load for both J and Y were mainly on the low side and they would have flown it anyway).

Cheers!
Old Dec 5, 2017, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by nldogbert
Though I still can't figure out why flying to Tokyo is < 10 hrs and out of Tokyo to DOH is approx 11.30 mins. Did not realize that wind direction can have up to 2 hours difference in flying time.
It can make a huge difference. Some of the routes where you can see it most consistently are TATL eastbound versus westbound and California to Asia, where it's not unusual to have to make unscheduled refueling stops during the winter due to headwinds.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 12:16 pm

nldogbert a very oversimplified explanation to the differences in flight times is the Jetstram! That is a wind that constantly blows West to East in the Northern hemisphere.
The jetstream is just one of the many weather patterns that affect flight times. The South West monsoon and the North East monsoons are other examples.
Then there are geographical and political considerations. It was suggested some time ago October) that flight DOH-TYO fly North of the Himalayas but TYO-DOH flights fly south of them over India. (Look at several posts on this thread between about posts 750-800.).
Flight time calculation is a very complicated process that I will not even try to explain here.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by Asserti
Where you on the flight into NRT on saturday 18th november?

I'm in Doha now. Homebound flight in a few hours to Brussels

However plus Qatar provided me with a nice 23hours at the Westin. A 200QR upgrade to an executive room made it even better!
And I managed to get 2 hotels out of the deal. One on the outbound and one on the inbound leg, even when my outbound layover was less than 12 hours!
Sorry I'm very late replying but yes, was on that flight! Stayed overnight the the Narita Hilton and then got the direct train to Kawaguchiko the next morning.

Well done on the hotels, sounds like you got every cent out of this fare!
Old Sep 23, 2018, 2:21 am

Programs: BAEC
Just a nod back to this epic fare and a really enjoyable two weeks in Japan, which we spent exploring Hokkaido. We set out this weekend last year with 24 hours in Brussels and flying out on the Sunday - Google Photos just gave me a reminder this morning. A lovely trip even though it did end up the curious incident of the coat locker jamming on the A350 and then a whole month of nonsense trying to get that sorted. Thanks to whoever found the fare in the first place and for sharing as many on the forum benefitted from it.
beepee, orbitmic, Tokyoite and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 6:57 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by plunet
Just a nod back to this epic fare and a really enjoyable two weeks in Japan, which we spent exploring Hokkaido. We set out this weekend last year with 24 hours in Brussels and flying out on the Sunday - Google Photos just gave me a reminder this morning. A lovely trip even though it did end up the curious incident of the coat locker jamming on the A350 and then a whole month of nonsense trying to get that sorted. Thanks to whoever found the fare in the first place and for sharing as many on the forum benefitted from it.
Did you ever actually get your coat back, or are the QR engineers in DOH still trying to pry open the cupboard?

K
Old Sep 23, 2018, 3:01 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Did you ever actually get your coat back, or are the QR engineers in DOH still trying to pry open the cupboard?

K
Despite being retreived by engineers in Doha, unfortunately the coat was not reunited with its owner and was consigned to rest in peace in the virtual wardrobe of the skies. Either that or its ghost haunts passengers somewhere on that A350 - could be a bit scary at 39000 ft.

Unusual situation on QR193 - Broken Cupboard
msm2000uk likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.