Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

The 'Sake Fare' Meet-Up Thread: AMS/BRU-DOH-TYO

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 12, 2017, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: fbruno
Wiki Updated 2017-09-13 to include #610

QR fare rules for this one can be found here.

I have created a travel trips thread in the Japan forum. A good place to discuss hotels, trips, restaurants and maybe even arrange meet ups: The QR week(end) HND/NRT travel thread (2017)

Sorted by departure month:

November

Outbound
CPH-HND : 03/11/17 : denkigroove
LHR-HND : 03/11/17 : Cymro +1
BRU-NRT : 08/11/17 : mad_rich
AMS-NRT : 08.11.17 : jordie
AMS-HND : 13.11.17 UAPremierGuy
BRU-NRT : 15/11/17 : xtommox
AMS-HND : 15/11/17 : phoneticduck +1
AMS-NRT : 17/11/17 : polochick
BRU-NRT : 17/11/17 : Asserti+1 (DOH-NRT 18/11)
LHR-HND : 18/11/17 : justatourist
AMS-HND : 19/11/17 : Tennislover9
AMS-HND : 20.11.17 : travellingjake +2
LHR-NRT : 23/11/17 : Pilot37
LHR-HND : 23/11/17 : Carofos
AMS-NRT : 24/11/17 : island82

Inbound
HND-AMS : 05/11/17 : toastedcafe
HND-AMS : 11/11/17 : Cymro +1
NRT-AMS : 12.11.17 : jordie
HND-AMS : 19.11.17 : UAPremierGuy
HND-AMS : 21/11/17 : phoneticduck +1
NRT-BRU : 22/11/17 : mad_rich
NRT-BRU : 23/11/17 : Asserti+1 (DOH-BRU 25/11)
HND-AMS : 25/11/17 : denkigroove
HND-AMS : 26/11/17 : Tennislover9
HND-AMS : 26/11/17 : polochick
NRT-BRU : 26/11/17 : fbruno
HND-LHR : 27/11/17 : Pilot37
NRT-AMS : 28/11/17 : island82
NRT-BRU : 28/11/17 : xtommox
HND-LHR : 29/11/17 : Carofos
NRT-MAN : 30.11.17 : travellingjake +2

December

Outbound
BRU-HND : 04/12/17 : jlisi984 +2
AMS-NRT : 10/12/17 : NikaK +1

Inbound
NRT-AMS : 04/12/17 : justatourist
HND-AMS : 12/12/17 : jlisi984 +2
NRT-AMS : 14/12/17 : NikaK +1
Print Wikipost

The 'Sake Fare' Meet-Up Thread: AMS/BRU-DOH-TYO

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2017, 4:35 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by toastedcafe
HEL-HND for 1210 euro... promocode "qr20years". Not Sake fare, but not bad at all.. Offer ends tonight.. Should I pull the trigger ???
Yes, do it now and don't look back

OR

No, do nothing, and then moan about the fact that the fare has gone and may never come back again

Your choice

M
megaloman and toz100 like this.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 4:46 am

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Just an update on my QR credits - I've contacted BA EC querying about my case. They told me they've got confirmation for my 4 flights taken, but they're still awaiting QR to confirm I was on the fifth flight... the one which I missed. Today points posted for the flights I've taken - so I guess QR eventually replied they have no record of me flying the flight I've missed (which is correct) and BA EC credited what they got confirmation for (boarding passes).
Old Nov 10, 2017, 5:54 am

Programs: FB PFL, TK Gold, PC Platinum
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Yes, do it now and don't look back

OR

No, do nothing, and then moan about the fact that the fare has gone and may never come back again

Your choice

M
BANG!!!!
Old Nov 10, 2017, 7:54 am

Programs: BA gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by afirm
My outbound flights posted in just a few days, but my return still haven't posted. After 10 days I registered a retro claim, they told me there were no records of me flying and I was told to send my boarding passes. I did this about two weeks ago but haven't heard anything yet.

I flew LHR-DOH-HND-OKA with the same return, therefore Japan Airlines were the ones who did the check-in for the return. Don't know if the problem is connected to this.

EDIT: And just as I wrote this post my flights were posted, so then it's all good for me. My return flight was on the 18th.
mine also posted after I put a claim on BA website, after about 3 days
thanks all here for your advice!
Old Nov 10, 2017, 8:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, QRPC Silver, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by toastedcafe
HEL-HND for 1210 euro... promocode "qr20years". Not Sake fare, but not bad at all.. Offer ends tonight.. Should I pull the trigger ???
what dates did you find? i can only find 1700 EUR :/

i actually have an upcoming redemption from CDG-HND (return F/J) that cost 152k qmiles for me to redeem.... considering cancelling the redemption and buying this fare if I can find it!
Old Nov 10, 2017, 8:31 am

Programs: FB PFL, TK Gold, PC Platinum
Originally Posted by ms101
what dates did you find? i can only find 1700 EUR :/

i actually have an upcoming redemption from CDG-HND (return F/J) that cost 152k qmiles for me to redeem.... considering cancelling the redemption and buying this fare if I can find it!
Widely available JAN-APRIL , except around Eastern holidays (end march)
Old Nov 10, 2017, 4:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Hi there.. can anyone advise whether it's worth getting the rail pass for a 5 day trip to Japan when I plan to go from Tokyo to Kyoto. . nothing else planned but can the pass be used for getting around Tokyo for example and thus saving me money.

Does anyone know how long it takes to be delivered ... do you deliver to UK or Hotel in Japan?

Confused!! Help would be appreciated.

CF
Old Nov 10, 2017, 4:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by CaroFos
Hi there.. can anyone advise whether it's worth getting the rail pass for a 5 day trip to Japan when I plan to go from Tokyo to Kyoto. . nothing else planned but can the pass be used for getting around Tokyo for example and thus saving me money.

Does anyone know how long it takes to be delivered ... do you deliver to UK or Hotel in Japan?

CF
If your only going to Kyoto it probably isn't worth it. You can use it on the JR Yamanote line in Tokyo but that limits you a bit.

I ordered mine online and it arrived to my home within a couple of days. It is sent from the UK.

Enjoy Japan it is brilliant!
Old Nov 11, 2017, 1:37 am

Programs: BA Bronze! Avis PC

CF
The JR rail pass is absolutely invaluable. The joy is you can rock up and travel within 30 mins (from my experience). While in Kyoto I visited Osaka Kobe & Hiroshima all using the pass and all convenient half day trips. The JR rail pass offers you so many opportunities to explore. Japan is mesmerizing have a wonderful trip.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 1:58 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond

CF
I would agree with wheatbeer, if you are doing only one rail trip the JR pass is not worth it. In Tokyo you’ll mostl be using the subway (Tokyo Metro or Toei) and the JR pass won’t be relevant for them.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 6:09 am

Programs: NH Diamond
Originally Posted by KARFA
I would agree with wheatbeer, if you are doing only one rail trip the JR pass is not worth it. In Tokyo you’ll mostl be using the subway (Tokyo Metro or Toei) and the JR pass won’t be relevant for them.
This is wrong - you will use the JR as much as you use the Metro or Toei line

However, if you have more than 3-4 days in Japan and intend to get out of Tokyo to Kyoto/Osaka area, the JR pass is cost effective
Old Nov 11, 2017, 6:41 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by majicka

However, if you have more than 3-4 days in Japan and intend to get out of Tokyo to Kyoto/Osaka area, the JR pass is cost effective
Well just sharing an opinion based on my own experience. Travelling around Tokyo I rarely used the JR and was mostly on the subway. Just depends really on what you plan to do. There isn't a "right" and "wrong" answer here
Old Nov 11, 2017, 5:35 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
That is IMO not correct. You'll be using the JR lines if you have a JR pass. If you have to pick either metro (the two major companies) or JR, then I'd pick metro in a hardbeat.

JR lines can be nice to fill in the gaps where Toei/TM are not as present but you can get around without them. Getting the JR pass only for 1 shorter Shinkansen trip and getting around Tokyo seems rather expensive. I'd buy the tourist plan (24h/48h/72h) if you'll travel a lot with the metro and buy individual JR tickets when there really isn't any alternative.

That depends on your trips. 1 trip Osaka-Tokyo will be cheaper as a single ticket. If you travel multiple times on the Shinkansen, the pass will be of great value.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 1:23 am

Programs: BA GGL
I took three Shinkansen; Tokyo-Kyoto, Kyoto-Hiroshima, Hiroshima-Osaka. Cost the same as a one week pass, so I opted to buy individual tickets so that I could ride the faster trains.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 2:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, QRPC Silver, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by WorldLux
That is IMO not correct. You'll be using the JR lines if you have a JR pass. If you have to pick either metro (the two major companies) or JR, then I'd pick metro in a hardbeat.

JR lines can be nice to fill in the gaps where Toei/TM are not as present but you can get around without them. Getting the JR pass only for 1 shorter Shinkansen trip and getting around Tokyo seems rather expensive. I'd buy the tourist plan (24h/48h/72h) if you'll travel a lot with the metro and buy individual JR tickets when there really isn't any alternative.

That depends on your trips. 1 trip Osaka-Tokyo will be cheaper as a single ticket. If you travel multiple times on the Shinkansen, the pass will be of great value.
it really depends on where one is going tbh. I always have no problem taking the JR to wherever I want to go. I've only taken the metro a handful of times, only more when I was living there and the closest station to me was a metro

But yes, I agree, only if you're making a RT Tokyo/Osaka then I would suggest to get the pass as it's worth it when you're making multiple trips.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.