Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

The 'Sake Fare' Meet-Up Thread: AMS/BRU-DOH-TYO

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 12, 2017, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: fbruno
Wiki Updated 2017-09-13 to include #610

QR fare rules for this one can be found here.

I have created a travel trips thread in the Japan forum. A good place to discuss hotels, trips, restaurants and maybe even arrange meet ups: The QR week(end) HND/NRT travel thread (2017)

Sorted by departure month:

November

Outbound
CPH-HND : 03/11/17 : denkigroove
LHR-HND : 03/11/17 : Cymro +1
BRU-NRT : 08/11/17 : mad_rich
AMS-NRT : 08.11.17 : jordie
AMS-HND : 13.11.17 UAPremierGuy
BRU-NRT : 15/11/17 : xtommox
AMS-HND : 15/11/17 : phoneticduck +1
AMS-NRT : 17/11/17 : polochick
BRU-NRT : 17/11/17 : Asserti+1 (DOH-NRT 18/11)
LHR-HND : 18/11/17 : justatourist
AMS-HND : 19/11/17 : Tennislover9
AMS-HND : 20.11.17 : travellingjake +2
LHR-NRT : 23/11/17 : Pilot37
LHR-HND : 23/11/17 : Carofos
AMS-NRT : 24/11/17 : island82

Inbound
HND-AMS : 05/11/17 : toastedcafe
HND-AMS : 11/11/17 : Cymro +1
NRT-AMS : 12.11.17 : jordie
HND-AMS : 19.11.17 : UAPremierGuy
HND-AMS : 21/11/17 : phoneticduck +1
NRT-BRU : 22/11/17 : mad_rich
NRT-BRU : 23/11/17 : Asserti+1 (DOH-BRU 25/11)
HND-AMS : 25/11/17 : denkigroove
HND-AMS : 26/11/17 : Tennislover9
HND-AMS : 26/11/17 : polochick
NRT-BRU : 26/11/17 : fbruno
HND-LHR : 27/11/17 : Pilot37
NRT-AMS : 28/11/17 : island82
NRT-BRU : 28/11/17 : xtommox
HND-LHR : 29/11/17 : Carofos
NRT-MAN : 30.11.17 : travellingjake +2

December

Outbound
BRU-HND : 04/12/17 : jlisi984 +2
AMS-NRT : 10/12/17 : NikaK +1

Inbound
NRT-AMS : 04/12/17 : justatourist
HND-AMS : 12/12/17 : jlisi984 +2
NRT-AMS : 14/12/17 : NikaK +1
Print Wikipost

The 'Sake Fare' Meet-Up Thread: AMS/BRU-DOH-TYO

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2017, 3:38 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Hmm QR offers mobile boarding passes at HND and I've never had an issue getting them before. Has the OLCI definitely worked? QR's online check-in system has a tendency to return an error sometimes.
Curiouser and curiouser. It seems to say I'm checked in on app, mobile site and full site (there were some discrepancies earlier). I did try cancelling and checking in again - didn't seem to make a difference. Though it threw some errors during the course of events. Wondering if maybe I got the MBPs off the mobile site on the way out? Consistently claiming I can't have a boarding card of any kind for either flight though - I wonder if I've been flagged for a doc check and they'll appear once I've been past the counter? Might try one more cancel and check-in, then I'll just have to lump it. Neither app nor mobile site will progress at all right now though.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 6:58 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by etiene
Curiouser and curiouser. It seems to say I'm checked in on app, mobile site and full site (there were some discrepancies earlier). I did try cancelling and checking in again - didn't seem to make a difference. Though it threw some errors during the course of events. Wondering if maybe I got the MBPs off the mobile site on the way out? Consistently claiming I can't have a boarding card of any kind for either flight though - I wonder if I've been flagged for a doc check and they'll appear once I've been past the counter? Might try one more cancel and check-in, then I'll just have to lump it. Neither app nor mobile site will progress at all right now though.
Just to update on this: I regained access to OLCI once I'd been past the counter at HND, and could see "Add to Wallet" on the mobile site [still didn't show on the App at all]. However, this errored with "pass could not be generated" so I never did get one. Whether this was me being flagged for a doc check, some IT gremlins or a combination of the two I'm not sure. Didn't notice anyone else using MBP, but wasn't hanging about checking either.

Great trip, here's hoping something similar comes up again!
Old Oct 2, 2017, 8:25 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
So to follow up on this...

I eventually got through to QR in the UK (20min wait), and a very helpful chap went through my options.

Because I was cancelling on the advice of our Doctor, the Rep advised that I could either:

a) Cancel the reservation, and apply for a Refund for Mrsmsm2000uk online
b) Keep the reservation, but change the destination and fly before 12th January (date of booking)

Now for Option a), the Refund has been calculated as 'Ticket price - $500 (Cancellation Fee)'. This would give me a total of €354.08, which is better than nothing. It should be noted, that there is no reason why I cannot fly, so no refund can be offered to me - only for Mrsmsm2000uk

If we went for Option b), we would need to pay $300 (Change Fee per ticket), and any difference in fare between that of HND and the new destination - however it would at least mean that we wouldn't lose everything. Crucially however, Option b) is available both to Mrsmsm2000uk and myself (even though I am not the one who cannot fly, as per above).

Now if she could fly, I'd probably select Option b), but because she has been advised against flying anywhere, there's only one route we can go down.

I've emailed QR asking for a refund, and will likely need to send in the letter from our Consultant which explains why my other half cannot fly (it's a tad more complicated than "she's pregnant").

I'll of course update this once I hear back from the QR support team; supposedly in 5 working days.

M
So just to close this off, QR were in touch within 24 hours, and have actually refunded both mine, and Mrsmsm2000uk as an added gesture of goodwill.

I'm delighted, and the money refunded will be spent on a different type of travel...a pram

M
Calchas likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
So just to close this off, QR were in touch within 24 hours, and have actually refunded both mine, and Mrsmsm2000uk as an added gesture of goodwill.

I'm delighted, and the money refunded will be spent on a different type of travel...a pram

M
Just wondering, -- do you think that they know that you're a QR Mod on FT?
Old Oct 2, 2017, 8:31 am

Programs: BA GGL
Congrats
Old Oct 2, 2017, 8:41 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Maybe he pulled a DYKWIA?

"I'll have you know that I am the QR moderator on FT!!!"
Calchas likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
They knew when I was an Ambassador, but I didn't tell them - a friend who was Cabin Crew, told her Manager, and when I flew into DOH, I was met by a small team of people who were keen to be of service to QR's 'online perception'.

I advised them that they had their own website, but they used to feed me info which I was allowed to 'leak' onto FT.

When I became part of the Moderator Team, I made clear that my role was different to that of an Ambassador, and suggested one of their own Online Support team, join FT.

Originally Posted by armouredant
Congrats
Thanks

Originally Posted by WorldLux
Maybe he pulled a DYKWIA?

"I'll have you know that I am the QR moderator on FT!!!"
Hahaha if only the role of 'QR Moderator' had pull anywhere off-site!

I must try it on my next BA flight though, in the hope that I feature in the DYKWIA thread

M
Old Oct 2, 2017, 10:15 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite / LH Senator / KL Gold / QR Gold
Does the purchase of a pram also earn Qmiles and Qpoints?
Old Oct 2, 2017, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hotwingz
Does the purchase of a pram also earn Qmiles and Qpoints?
Amex makes everything possible!

Anyway, back to the Sake thread!

Very jealous of those who are heading off over the next few days!

M
Old Oct 2, 2017, 1:57 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
I must try it on my next BA flight though, in the hope that I feature in the DYKWIA thread
Better to pull a DYKWIA off on DL as an SM (or better -because funnier - with lowest UA status).
Old Oct 2, 2017, 3:38 pm

Very jealous of those who are heading off over the next few days!
M
Looking at the list I would say half of FT is going!
Old Oct 2, 2017, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by justatourist
Looking at the list I would say half of FT is going!
Really wishing I had booked to go to the F1 now as well as in November grrr
Old Oct 3, 2017, 12:48 am

Programs: Some
I note it's not just me on a Sake fare today

I'm on JL26 from HKG so assuming we leave on time will be at HND fairly early. More than happy to guest one into JAL F lounge if anyone so requires
Old Oct 3, 2017, 1:51 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite / LH Senator / KL Gold / QR Gold
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
I note it's not just me on a Sake fare today

I'm on JL26 from HKG so assuming we leave on time will be at HND fairly early. More than happy to guest one into JAL F lounge if anyone so requires
Are the JAL F lounges in HND and NRT worth planning extra time at the airport for?
Old Oct 3, 2017, 3:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hotwingz
Are the JAL F lounges in HND and NRT worth planning extra time at the airport for?
They are a perfectly comfortable place to spend an hour or two but I wouldn't rush there. Then again I wouldn't be any more complimentary about any lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.