FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
Print Wikipost

Airbus A380: seating Q&A

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2023, 8:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by YPL2234
I can't comment on the treatment of status pax travelling with non-status family on the UD, but I can confirm that QR do move non-status pax from the upper deck even if they have paid the extra fees for those seats. My guess is that doesn't bode well for non-status family members.

For our recent flights (QR909 and QR3) we had paid months in advance to reserve 26AB on the UD. I think it was around 250AUD each for the SYD-DOH leg, and 150AUD each for the DOH-LHR leg, so all up about 700-800AUD for the trip. My partner isn't a great traveller, so thought it worth the cost to have the comfort of the UD without anyone next to us. We couldn't check in online, and then I noticed a day before our flight we'd lost our seat confirmations. Tried calling QR who were typically unhelpful, and told us to sort it with the check in agent. Unfortunately our domestic connection was a bit late and so I didn't get to the check in counter in time to try and resolve it (was there 3 hours before, but obviously by then there's a big queue for Y). The check in agent was obviously trying to get thorough hundreds of passengers, so didn't give two sh*ts, and just told us to call QR for the refund. My partner and I ended up on the lower deck, not sitting together, me in a middle seat, but thank god she at least got an aisle. Not a great experience for a 24 hour journey!

Anyway, I think the moral of the story is, obviously no seat is ever guaranteed, but be extra cautious with the QR upper deck. Even if you've paid the seat selection fees, it's not a guarantee you won't be bumped. So make sure you are vigilant as departure day approaches, and get to the check in desk as early as possible if they've bumped you.
I must say I find that hard to believe...and perhaps there was something else going on here. I'm not doubting your individual experience, but I've never heard of people being moved from the UD before if they've paid the (very hefty) seat selection fees - it just doesn't make sense for Qatar to do that? The fact that they couldn't even then sit you together is also bizarre to me...My guess is there must have been some special circumstance which led to this - I really don't think Qatar do this as a matter of course.
Old Jan 30, 2024, 1:58 am

The first post in the thread is quite clear on some of the pros and cons of some of the upper deck economy seating options but was wondering if anyone can share experience whether:

1) row 28 AB and JK recline more than a regular seat as they have a wall behind them
2) if the floor space around 30AB and JK is used for people to wait for the loo.

Note as OWE I can select any seat for free so row 25 also an option but I worry about the noise and inability to stretch legs out.

Seat map here for reference: https://www.aerolopa.com/qr-388
Old Jan 30, 2024, 5:07 am

Programs: qatar airways platinum
Originally Posted by immunedata
The first post in the thread is quite clear on some of the pros and cons of some of the upper deck economy seating options but was wondering if anyone can share experience whether:

1) row 28 AB and JK recline more than a regular seat as they have a wall behind them
2) if the floor space around 30AB and JK is used for people to wait for the loo.

Note as OWE I can select any seat for free so row 25 also an option but I worry about the noise and inability to stretch legs out.

Seat map here for reference: https://www.aerolopa.com/qr-388
People would queue for the toilet near seats 30.

What noise at seat 25? If you mean from the bar, I have never been at the bar when it is particularly noise, unless you got unlucky and a large group of friends were travelling together. The bar is usually deserted or only one or two people
GalaxyChris likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2024, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by celtic_warrior
People would queue for the toilet near seats 30.

What noise at seat 25? If you mean from the bar, I have never been at the bar when it is particularly noise, unless you got unlucky and a large group of friends were travelling together. The bar is usually deserted or only one or two people
The first post in this thread says Row 25 has slightly more legroom due to the bulkhead, but may also be slightly noisier due to the Premium Passenger Bar”

I guess “slightly nosier” is somewhat subjective in terms of any additional noise being something that bothers you. Being tall I’m tempted by row 30 but am wary of toilet queuers who can also be chatting or knock into you.
Old Jan 30, 2024, 9:24 pm

I have been in row 30 and don't recall any extra traffic caused by the toilets. My one beef with the window seats in that row is that you don't really have full/easy access to the extra side bins which are otherwise a nice little bonus of sitting upstairs. It's one of my favorite Y seats, though!
immunedata likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 5:49 am

First time travelling on QR.

I’ve booked the UD A380 seats using OWS for free on LHR-DOH and DOH-SYD legs.

By the time I take these flights it’s pretty likely (but not certain) I would have dropped down to OWR. Can I be confident my seat reservations will stick? I bagged 25A and 25K so keen to keep these!

Otherwise I may have to look at a TP run to tip back into OWS before the trip…
Old Feb 12, 2024, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I'm in 11/12K LHR-DOH next month. Any pros / cons with these ? Want to use the Bar but not be near it ha!
Old Mar 8, 2024, 9:17 am

Traveling with a child in A380 business cabin, can passengers in the two middle seats walk across the partition? Can it be lowered completely?

We are exploring options of flying Qatar on either 777-300er or A380...
Old Mar 8, 2024, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by ctecha
Traveling with a child in A380 business cabin, can passengers in the two middle seats walk across the partition? Can it be lowered completely?
No, you would have to walk forwards through the galley or backwards through the bar and along the other aisle to get to the neighbouring seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.