FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
Print Wikipost

Airbus A380: seating Q&A

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2016, 5:49 am

Programs: QR Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Post Scriptum
Also one new QR-flier here due to the promos, going down under with family. Unfortunately lack skills to acquire money has lead to Y-booking but with residual OWR-status I could choose upper deck/main deck. 2+kid+infant travelling so current seating at row 40 something seems okay due to three adjacent seats but I'm wondering would the upper deck be any better and i.e. playing with fate and booking 1+2 seats from following rows on the side of the aircraft.

I'll be definately losing by status by the time of booking, will they dump me out from the upper deck when my status is gone or should I cling on the seats while I can?

Edit: Looking at the seatmaps we aren't on bassinet seats, how likely it is that they'll dump us to bassinet seats (all bulkhead seats are fully booked on both decks) in any case or is a life of continous hell to be expected in the new life of statusless Y-travel (with family)
Bulkhead bassinet seats aren't probably fully booked but more likely blocked to keep them for people traveling with infants. If you want one, give a call to QR or ask at airport check in.
Your OWR status should allow you to book upper deck seats but I'm afraid that young kids and infants might not be allowed on upper deck and anyway, you'll probably loose your upper deck seat assignments 72 hours prior to the flight when QR computer prepare the flight for online check in and realize you don't have anymore OW status.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 9:06 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Sorry for bumping this. Any thoughts?

Hi

After a bit of advice.

Just booked QR for the first time (BA drip, drip, drip cuts starting to annoy me...), CDG-DOH-ICN. On the A380 legs (QR39/QR40) we've been allocated 10E/F both ways. Just wondering if it is worthwhile trying to change these? I've noticed comments about proximity to galley/toilets, also slightly concerned that 10A/K are bassinet seats (small baby alert?).

Other point is I do like a gander out of the window on daytime flights. Middle seats fine on the outbound CDG-DOH leg, since it'll be dark after about 2hrs, but inbound would it be worth going for A/E or F/K?

Thanks for any thoughts.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 8:26 pm

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, QR Silver, Accor, BA
Originally Posted by Post Scriptum
Also one new QR-flier here due to the promos, going down under with family. Unfortunately lack skills to acquire money has lead to Y-booking but with residual OWR-status I could choose upper deck/main deck. 2+kid+infant travelling so current seating at row 40 something seems okay due to three adjacent seats but I'm wondering would the upper deck be any better and i.e. playing with fate and booking 1+2 seats from following rows on the side of the aircraft.

I'll be definately losing by status by the time of booking, will they dump me out from the upper deck when my status is gone or should I cling on the seats while I can?

Edit: Looking at the seatmaps we aren't on bassinet seats, how likely it is that they'll dump us to bassinet seats (all bulkhead seats are fully booked on both decks) in any case or is a life of continous hell to be expected in the new life of statusless Y-travel (with family)
Unfortunately you will get dumped prior to check-in as Matt4 says. Happened to me earlier this year when I was temporarily burgundy. But when you get to the check-in desk you could try playing dumb and wondering why you no longer have them, showing initial booking. I would recommend though choosing some seats that you won't get dumped from...

The bulkhead seats always show as being booked - you have to call to book as others have said.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 4:03 am

Deleted (double post)
Old Sep 17, 2016, 4:04 am

Originally Posted by andrelux
Sorry for bumping this. Any thoughts?

Hi

After a bit of advice.

Just booked QR for the first time (BA drip, drip, drip cuts starting to annoy me...), CDG-DOH-ICN. On the A380 legs (QR39/QR40) we've been allocated 10E/F both ways. Just wondering if it is worthwhile trying to change these? I've noticed comments about proximity to galley/toilets, also slightly concerned that 10A/K are bassinet seats (small baby alert?).

Other point is I do like a gander out of the window on daytime flights. Middle seats fine on the outbound CDG-DOH leg, since it'll be dark after about 2hrs, but inbound would it be worth going for A/E or F/K?

Thanks for any thoughts.
Unfortunately there's no perfect seat on QR A380 in J : all have pros and cons.

Don't seat in the front if you absolutely need to sleep as you might be annoyed by crying babies (if any) or kids playing arounds (if any) and (for sure) by all the flight attendants passing by to serve J passengers (11 more rows to serve behind you with dine on demand service), but as QR40 is a evening flight and QR39 is a morning one you may rather think about sleeping on DOH-ICN legs.

A and E or F and K are not parallel seats and the alley is wide so it's really inconvenient for a couple traveling together.

The best view is enjoyed from the A side on both QR39/QR40 because of the position of the sun in the sky at that time. If you don't have a window seat you may enjoy the view from the A380 lounge.

Seating in E and F doesn't guarantee any service synchronization as you will be served by 2 different flight attendants even though they will likely do their best to serve you at the same time.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 4:55 am

I've almost always chosen 11 or 12 A/K. That said recently I was in 17A and noted being closer to the bar was an advantage.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 5:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Many thanks for the advice.

Obviously, there aren't always small babies and they often only make their presence heard at take-off and landing. Since I expect to be awake, mainly, for the CDG-DOH legs, we'll probably stick with the seat assignment we've been given for the outward leg at least. Thanks for the heads up about E and F being served on different rotas, but that's probably just something for me and the missus to organise. Not unique to QR, and with service on demand probably better.

On DOH-ICN and back, we've got 2A and B which is probably OK.

For the return DOH-CDG, thanks for the info re seat A. If row nA + nE is offset, would n+1E or n-1E work better? (I remember this from the AA front minicabin on the 77W, where 3A is pretty much opposite 4E).
Old Sep 29, 2016, 8:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
what is the status on QR options for the additional 4 A380? Are there plans in place to exercise?
Old Jan 18, 2017, 1:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond
I was wondering if QR's A380 has individual air vent / nozzles in business class? One trip report I found here suggest that in Eco they have, but about about J-class? I remember their 787's have individual air vents in J-class only on the windows seats, not in the middle - what about in A380?
Old Jan 31, 2017, 1:18 pm

💺 Seat 67E on the QR A380

Is it a good one for someone flying solo? I like the idea of only 3 seats in that row instead of 4 in the usual middle section. Direct aisle access and the person in the middle might only choose to bother only the one on his right when he wants to use the toilet etc especially if they know each other.

Seat 68D looks good also for legroom but I tend to put a lot of the seat pockets for my stuff, and I'm not that tall so legroom is usually not an issue for me.

And when does seat selection for the upper deck economy become available to those with no special status?

I'm excited to be flying on QR's new A380 because the ones that I've flown on before (SQ and EK) are old and the IFE was not touch screen which is a pain. And it's gonna be A380 all the way Paris-Sydney via Doha.

Merci.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 1:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
You could try 67E on one sector and 68D on another sector That's what I would do if I was curious which was better.

Personally, not having anyone recline into me and all that extra space at face level would be what I would be going for every time.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 2:03 pm

aschroder do have a look at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...seating-q.html for seating preferences.

Upper deck economy is not opened for non status passengers unless the lower deck is completely sold out! So it depends upon the load factor when and if it is opened.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 12:39 pm

Not even during online check in?
unless packed to the rafters?
Old Feb 1, 2017, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by aschroder
Not even during online check in?
unless packed to the rafters?
aschroder if there are seats available on the lower deck then non status passengers have no access to the upperdeck.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 4:09 am

Programs: QR Platinum
I will fly first time in f on A380 soon. Since i will fly alone i would like to choose a window seat but not sure in row 1 or 2.

Which row is to prefer?

Is it noisy in row 2 from the galley?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.