Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 29, 2014, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Matt4
Qatar Airways Stopover Package (STPC)

Note : STPC has not been available since COVID started and won't probably be available before the end of the year 2022 due to the World Cup. But you can book a StopOver hotel for a discounted price with Discover Qatar (starting at $14 for 4* and $20 for 5*) until 24th October 2022 (no later, again due to the Wolrd Cup)

•Passengers with a transit time of between 8 and 24 hours are eligible for a stopover package (STPC) in Doha, offered by Qatar Airways.
•An STPC request can be made as early as 361 days in advance, but no later than 72 hours prior to departure. The STPC is either offered complimentary or bookable at a fee.
•For group bookings, different rules apply.

I. STPC free of charge
•In cases where there are no immediate connections available between 8 and 24 hours.
•No exceptions can be given (7 hrs 59 minutes = not eligible, 24 hrs 1 minute = not eligible).
•N-class and above.
•Directional ticket value above USD 400 (incl. YQ tax).
•Directional ticket value is the sum of the fare paid for the journey and the Fuel surcharge (as shown on your E-ticket) divided by two.

II. STPC against a fee
•When the passenger holds a ticket in booking classes below N.
•When the passenger holds a Privilege Club redemption ticket in Economy or Business Class.
•When the directional ticket value is less than USD 400 (incl. YQ tax).
•USD 125 fee for Economy Class passengers.
•USD 150 fee for Business Class passengers.

III. STPC is not available if the booking includes flights to or from Abu Dhabi (AUH), Bahrain (BAH), Dubai (DWC), Dubai (DXB), Kuwait (KWI), Muscat (MCT), Ras Al Khaimah (RKT) and Sharjah (SHJ). .
•If the passenger holds a temporary passport/travel document.
•If the passenger holds separate tickets.

IV. STPC package includes
•Hotel room for the duration of the passenger’s stay (5-star hotel for Business Class passengers / 3-star hotel for Economy Class passengers). If there is a change in the Flight Schedule and the new connection time in Doha becomes less than 8 hours then the existing hotel confirmation will become invalid.
•Temporary entry visa fee to Doha, Qatar*.
•Transfer HIA - hotel - HIA.
•Meal voucher (depends on duration of the transit).

V. To book STPC
•Update PNR with passport number and nationality (tickets need to be issued).
•Contact Qatar Airways, providing credit card number including expire date and CVC code.

VI. Different scenarios for STPC
•QR is operating an immediate connection with seats available in the desired cabin, but the passenger has booked a connection with transit time of 8-24 hours. STPC is not permitted either complimentary or against a fee.
•QR is operating an immediate connection but no seats are available in the desired cabin. If the passenger has booked a ticket on the next available connection with a transit of between 8-24 hours, STPC against payment is permitted.
•QR is not operating an immediate connection; all the connections have a transit time of between 8-24 hours. Passenger may choose any connection and receive STPC free of charge. There are reports that this may no longer be correct.
*Confirmation of your hotel at Doha does not guarantee entry into the State of Qatar. This is entirely at the discretion of the immigration authorities.

Website: http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...mmodation.page

Anecdote: a code-share DOH-CMN within the 8-hour window did not disqualify me from STPC. In other words it is only QR operated flights that are used for connection time calculations.

I have STPC- What do I need to Do?
This is covered in the wiki of http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...t-do-i-do.html.

How does the new Free stopover affect STPC?
QR have just launched a new free stopover policy. See http://www.qatarairways.com/english_...ease_plusqatar, http://www.qatarairways.com/global/en/plusqatar.page and http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...on-2017-1.html for details.
At the moment STPC sappears to be unaffected except for 'multi city' bookings. At this very early stage there is no clear practice as to who qualifies!

Updated 21-SEP-2022.
Print Wikipost

The QR STPC (stopover) policy?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2017, 2:34 pm

EvD86 QR do not usually use the airport hotel unless there are special circumstances. I would think that your request due to a very young child and possible problems of child safety would qualify as special circumstances.
With regard to changing destination from ARN to AMS I very much doubt that you could change since you have an R fare. But look at the change rules for your reservation to see what can be done. Since they are different departments (STPC and reservations) I very much doubt that they would even consider the trade off.
EvD86 likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by remdk
... I very much doubt that they would even consider the trade off.
I agree; but there's never any harm in asking. Your downside is that they will say no, as expected.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 10:44 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by plunet
You can apply now, and you could request it in the airport. But I query whether you are entitled to STPC as there are shorter connections that exist for that journey on 833 and 273 and hence STPC would usually be refused. And if it is super cheap you probably also fail the directional value requirement. I suggest only option if you want to escape the airport is to do a DIY stopover if you qualify for visa free entry but at 8 hours I doubt you would drive much value compared to getting a quiet room in AM.
I didn't qualify for the STPC.

I ended up killing the 8 hours in Al Mourjan. I had a few drinks at the bar, had a sleep in one of the big chairs and had a lovely shower.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I agree; but there's never any harm in asking. Your downside is that they will say no, as expected.
They will only say no to changing it for free, they will no doubt be delighted to say yes in exchange for a very substantial supplementary fare
Old Dec 6, 2017, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by Johnnieboy
They will only say no to changing it for free, they will no doubt be delighted to say yes in exchange for a very substantial supplementary fare

Indeed they did ..

How long does the confirmation process takes normaly regarding the hotel reservation?
Old Dec 6, 2017, 9:47 pm
R2

Originally Posted by EvD86
How long does the confirmation process takes normaly regarding the hotel reservation?
IME it has been anything up to 48 hours but there are reports here on FT it having taken several days. If you don't get it within a week or so I would call back. Or call back now and try the baby card to have the HIA hotel confirmed for you as suggested by remdk.

If your confirmed hotel is the Oryx Rotana or the Movenpick and you are unable to change it to the HIA hotel, you can still try when you get to the Transit hotel desk at the airport. I have managed to change my confirmed booking at the Oryx Rotana to the HIA hotel on the spot a couple of times. As your transit is just 8:05 hours, you really don't have much time at the hotel considering the time required for the travel to/from hotel, immigration, waiting for the bus etc. If ever your incoming flight is delayed by just an hour or so it is not worth going to a hotel outside the airport.
EvD86 likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 3:48 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Gold
Business Promo fares

Do Business Promo fares qualify?

The Qatar Support on Twitter stated that they do not but did not give a link that supported this, just a link concerning lounge access.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 4:14 pm

Dubliner1 ticket class has nothing to do with qualifying for STPC or not. What could be a prblem is the directional fare as explained inthe Wiki on this thread.
There are a number of conditions of which the shorter connectins and the Directional fare conditions are those that usually cause problems. Do have a look at the Wiki to see if you qualify.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 4:47 pm

Thanks for this. I have received an apology and was informed that all Business booking classes may qualify for it.

"Please let us know if you have updated the passport details, so we may forward your request to the concerned team." I cannot find where to enter passport details in the app - please advise.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 4:58 pm

Dubliner1 there is a passport number field under personal details of the Manage My Booking page of the website.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 5:32 am

Thank you remdk- I will look at this using my desktop as opposed to the app on my iPhone.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 12:03 am

EvD86 QR do not usually use the airport hotel unless there are special circumstances. I would think that your request due to a very young child and possible problems of child safety would qualify as special circumstances.
Thank you.. I asked Qatar to change the hotel to the airport hotel, but that's a no unfortunately. They stated hotel bookings are done randomly and can not be changed.

I might try it upon arrival, or maybe even at the first leg (having a layover of 3hr so no harm in asking already for the return flight )..
Old Jan 6, 2018, 12:04 am

Originally Posted by Dubliner1
Thank you remdk- I will look at this using my desktop as opposed to the app on my iPhone.
Had the same issue; app didn't work, desktop did though...
Old Jan 6, 2018, 12:06 am

Originally Posted by R2
IME it has been anything up to 48 hours but there are reports here on FT it having taken several days. If you don't get it within a week or so I would call back. Or call back now and try the baby card to have the HIA hotel confirmed for you as suggested by remdk.

If your confirmed hotel is the Oryx Rotana ..... As your transit is just 8:05 hours, you really don't have much time at the hotel considering the time required for the travel to/from hotel, immigration, waiting for the bus etc. If ever your incoming flight is delayed by just an hour or so it is not worth going to a hotel outside the airport.
We are confirmed for Oryx Rotana. Any thoughts about the transfer times etc.?
Old Jan 6, 2018, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Do you know of any times when special circumstances have resulted in use of the airport hotel? If you would share them, that would be helpful for gauging possible future use.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.