Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your questions here. Flame free

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your questions here. Flame free

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2017, 9:32 am

Dickerty welcome to Flyertalk and to the QR forum. You will find the QR dashboard in answering many, but not all, of your questions.

Sales are happening almost all the time. Mostly they are run by the individual origins, such as DUB. To see these you need to look frequently at the QR Irish homepage under offers. Occasionally QR run company wide sales such as the one just finished. Whilst no one knows I would expect a company wide sale at the start of next year.

QR do not auction off upgrades.
There are three ways to purchase an upgrade:
1) you may purchase an upgrade at any time but there is a rule stating tha Economy promo fares (Ticket classes T, O, W and G) cannot be upgraded
2) QR sometimes e-mail one sector upgrade offers, especially for the lowest ticket classes. You need to read the e-mail carefully in order to ensure that you understand what, if any, restrictions are placed on the ticket. Not every departure will have these offers it depends upon loading and the origin QR office attitude.
3) It is sometimes possible to purchase an upgrade at the airport.

You mention Avios. Are they with a Oneworld partner such as BA and do you have sufficient to ¨purchase' a free flight?

If you want to upgrade for cash then do contact QR to ensure there is space available before booking and purchase the upgrade immediately you have your PNR.
Dickerty likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 9:41 am

Hey can you lemme know where is this QR or offers section?
Old Nov 20, 2017, 10:11 am

Hitesh Thukral the Indian homepage is https://www.qatarairways.com/en-in/homepage.html a little way down the page you will find "Our latest flight deals" on the left. You will need to select your departure airport from the drop down list. After the last offer you will find "View more offers" click onthis for all offers.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 11:51 am

DAR-DOH-DFW

Traveling from DAR to DFW with change of planes in DOH.
Flight from DAR gets in at 11:45pm
Flight to DFW is at 8:25am
Booked in Busines.
What is best place to get some rest in DOH?
Old Nov 20, 2017, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by onapea
Traveling from DAR to DFW with change of planes in DOH.
Flight from DAR gets in at 11:45pm
Flight to DFW is at 8:25am
Booked in Busines.
What is best place to get some rest in DOH?
Welcome to FT.

MY $0.02: even if you qualify for the STPC (the free hotel), by the time you get out of HIA, to the hotel, and then have to get back to HIA, you'll get maybe 4 hours of sleep. For that layover, I'd stay in Al Mourjan, and see if any of the first-come-first-served rest areas are free. Otherwise, there are far worse places to spend 6-7 hours than Al Mourjan.

In business, on the DFW flight, you'll be able to get plenty of sleep

That said, I bet remdk or some of the other regulars will give you better advice!
Old Nov 20, 2017, 1:09 pm

onapea welcome to Flyertalk and to the QR forum.
Since you are travelling in the J (Business) cabin you will have access to Al Mourjan lounge.
Thank you scnzzz for your helpful comments. But I will add some further information.
There are two sets of resting rooms in the lounge. One immediately to the right of the entrance and one to the left. About halfway through the Deli and on the right behind the service area and down a corridor is a second, better set. They are both on a first come first served basis. While I have not found it there is supposed to be a quiet area with some form of recliner. There are also quite comfortable sofas dotted around the lounge.
You should be aware that the lounge is very busy until 2.00-2.30 so there may be queues.
Looking at the timetable for next week you should qualify for STPC in both directions. Due to the longer transit time I suggest that STPC would be best for your return journey.
Do have a look at QR Al Mourjan Business Class Lounge and QR Lounges at HIA for more information.
There is also a rather expensive and overcrowded Airport hotel airside.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 2:42 am

Programs: QR Plat
Redeeming qmiles with OW partners

Would appreciate some advice on using Qmiles with other OW airlines (in my case Cathay Pacific).
I'm looking at the "Redeeming qmiles on airline partners" on the QR website, but when clicking the "book award ticket" box it just takes me back to the QRPC dashboard page.

Is it possible to book award tickets with other airlines on-line? If so, it would be really helpful if someone could share some information about how to do this?
Old Nov 21, 2017, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by remdk
You mention Avios. Are they with a Oneworld partner such as BA and do you have sufficient to ¨purchase' a free flight?
Avios is the reward currency currently used by BA, IB and some others, I believe.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 1:50 am

Programs: FB Platinum
Privilege Club or AAdvantage

I have seen a lot of posts about which loyalty program to choose and it seems that the verdict is that AA is better than QR, however we live in AMS, never fly AA (we choose to fly direct on KLM when we fly to the US), generally fly KLM or low cost within Europe. My husband has Silver level with KLM which doesn't get you much. Last year we flew QR to Asia and I signed us up for the PC (my daughter is under 12 so I accumulated her Miles). In Feb we will be flying to BKK in Business Class and my husband and I will reach Silver level with QR. Our daughter will be 12 then so I will sign her up for her own account but she will not have any status. If we are happy with the service we will probably fly to Asia once a year in J, because QR often has companion offers that are really good value. Eventually I would like to use our Miles for upgrades or Business Class tickets (on QR to Asia or AA or BA to the US). Should we continue with the PC program or go for AA instead? I hate to "throw away" the Miles we already earned as well as the opportunity to have Silver with QR by switching to AA now. But I have read that it is difficult to spend Miles or get upgrades with QR and I have already gone through the same hassle with KLM. I feel like a dumb dumb for not researching this earlier but at the time were just giving QR a try. Any advice? Thanks!
Old Nov 23, 2017, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
The definitive, absolute answer is, "it depends." It depends on a lot of factors, including your flying patterns, what you would like to do with the miles that you earn (award tickets or upgrades, for example), etc. I switched from AAdvantage to QRPC a few years ago and do much better here. But that's based on my flying patterns. You'll have to do the analysis based on what you do, as I said above.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 3:34 am

Programs: EK Silver, QR Gold
Why not go the middle way and go with BA's program, atleast they're in Europe, if you ever want to fly to London (or an Iberia flight to Spain?) for instance it's very easy to use some Avios to do so.
They have a very good family program so you and your family can accumulate miles on a shared account.

Last edited by JasperT; Nov 23, 2017 at 3:39 am
Old Nov 24, 2017, 6:35 am

Programs: FB Platinum
Originally Posted by JasperT
Why not go the middle way and go with BA's program, atleast they're in Europe, if you ever want to fly to London (or an Iberia flight to Spain?) for instance it's very easy to use some Avios to do so.
They have a very good family program so you and your family can accumulate miles on a shared account.
I'm really looking to use my Miles for long haul upgrades or Business Class seats, either to Asia or AMS-LAX. I suppose I will have to read up on the PC program to see which other airlines I can book awards with.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 7:11 am

Starchildflyer look at https://www.oneworld.com/member-airlines/overview for a list of airlines that you can fly with and book reward flights with.
Starchildflyer likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 10:47 am

Hello Everyone, New to these forums so sorry if this has been asked.

I'm flying next week on the 29th LHR-DOH-SIN

We received an online upgrade offer for the LHR-DOH sector, which at the price we took advantage of. We were hoping to also get an offer for the DOH-SIN sector but unfortunately no such offer has been received, as I understand its computer generated and depends on availability etc, but looking at the Qatar website and also Expert flyer there are still a fair few seats available in Business. From anyone's experience is it worth to ask on checking in if we are able to upgrade the DOH-SIN sector, and what sort of prices have people experienced at the check-in counters, fairly high or do you get good offers?

Many Thanks
Old Nov 24, 2017, 2:37 pm

markushillman welcome to Flyertalk and to the QR forum. You may find the QR dashboard very useful.

It is very often that you can purchase upgrades at the airport. If available they can be paid for with Qmiles/Qcredits or cash. I have never had the opportunity to do this but my understanding is that cash prices are somewhat lower than a pre-airport cash upgrades would have been.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.