Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your questions here. Flame free

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your questions here. Flame free

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2024, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by jfidler
I'm flying IAD-DOH-DEL (all QR) with my family later this week. It's a Business Lite (P) fare, so no lounge access as I understand it. I'm trying to figure out our lounge options at DOH.

I'm Oneworld Sapphire on AA, so I believe that provides free access to the Gold lounge + 1 traveler. We're 4 total -- 2 adults, 2 elementary-aged children. Can I buy access for the children to this lounge? I couldn't find any information online.

Then there's the option when looking up the booking on QR's site to pre-pay for Oryx lounge access for $222 total ($74/person adults, $37/person children) but it's a 3-hour layover so not keen on paying that much for a lounge if we'll only be there for maybe an hour.

Or any other options I'm overlooking? I have Priority Pass Select and AmEx Plat.

This screenshot from the trade portal indicates what you should expect to pay at the QR operated lounges:
Attached Images  
JKG likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2024, 4:48 am

Programs: TK*G OZ*G AA Plat
Thanks. QAR 175/child isn't too bad.

I see there's also Al Maha lounge as part of Priority Pass, and I get me + 2 guests into there included. But the reviews look quite poor, and we'll be there during peak period (6am-8am) so I think Gold lounge is our best option. Thanks again!
KingCanute likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2024, 9:34 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat, AC, DL Plat, Amtrk SE, AmEx Plat, Bonvoy Plat (via SPG), HH Gold, Accor Plat, WOH Dis
DOH lounges: Al Safwa or Oryx- worth upgrade price

Hi all,

I’m a OWE (via AA ExecPlat) flying Business JFK>DOH>BOM, with a 4 hour layover starting at 4:45 pm during Ramadan.

Given this, I’ll have access to Al Mourjan Business Lounge. I’m wondering if it’s worth the cost to upgrade to either Oryx or Al Safwa lounge (75 or 161 USD respectively).

I’ve been to Al Mourjan once before and it’s lovely, but I still prefer the Cathay F longes over this. Wondering what the hive mind thinks.

Thank you!
Old Mar 17, 2024, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by BosTravel
Hi all,

I’m a OWE (via AA ExecPlat) flying Business JFK>DOH>BOM, with a 4 hour layover starting at 4:45 pm during Ramadan.

Given this, I’ll have access to Al Mourjan Business Lounge. I’m wondering if it’s worth the cost to upgrade to either Oryx or Al Safwa lounge (75 or 161 USD respectively).

I’ve been to Al Mourjan once before and it’s lovely, but I still prefer the Cathay F longes over this. Wondering what the hive mind thinks.

Thank you!
The Al Mourjan lounges are much better than Oryx.

Is probably max 3 hours in Al Safwa worth QAR 650? I'd say no currently. Split your time between the 2 AM lounges for a bit of variety at no cost
Old Mar 17, 2024, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by kalderlake
I'm having to cancel a Qatar Avios reward booking.

But when I go to do so, the page doesn't tell me that I will be getting my points back, nor does it tell me I'm being charged the cancellation fee.

Instead, it simply tells me they will refund the amount charged to my original method of payment and that that amount will be determined as per the fare rules.

Which seems more like a cash fare than an award fare.

Is this the normal procedure?

TIA
Just a follow-up.

As KingCanute indicated, this is the normal procedure.

Notification of refund last night and points back in account as of this morning PST. So just a couple of days.

Thanks again to KC.
KingCanute likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 6:28 pm

Programs: DL- PM, AA-PlatPro
Thank you for all the help in these forums!
We have never flown Qatar before and are looking at it for flights from NYC to KTM- I'm AA Platinum Pro (not that that matters) and could book with AA but if I book directly with Qatar are there any upgrade options online/in the app/at check in? Is it an easy process to change from economy to business? At the moment the business fares are a bit ridiculous.

Thank you for your help.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 7:43 pm

Flying J in QR in two days, SEA to DOH to MAA. I see an option in the Qatar Airways App to view the Menu for the flight. But it is greyed out. Anyone knows how to make that work?? Thanks.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 4:27 am

Programs: Sindbad Gold, Etihad Guest Silver, Qatar Privilege Gold.
Codeshare sadness...

...I'm just going to post it here, because some of you might share my pain.
I have an upcoming DOH to Kuala Lumpur flight and unfortunately it is the MH plane. I have just found out they only have instant coffee on board. OMG!
Hopefully they have some lovely Malaysian BOH tea.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by aphro
...I'm just going to post it here, because some of you might share my pain.
I have an upcoming DOH to Kuala Lumpur flight and unfortunately it is the MH plane. I have just found out they only have instant coffee on board. OMG!
Hopefully they have some lovely Malaysian BOH tea.
But if you are travelling in business I believe they still have the satay trolley. So that’s a net win
aphro likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 8:57 am

Programs: BA Silver / SQ Sol PPS / KE & EK Nobody!
Originally Posted by Cathay1101
As a new resident of DXB one of the unexpected blessings I've discovered is QR's insane price discrepancies across ex-DXB/AUH/SHJ/RKT itineraries connecting onto Europe and Australia. I've used SHJ numerous times before and have found that 60 mins is perfectly adequate, whether in Y or F, so long as I've had access to priority check-in if I've had checked baggage.

Next week I'm trying QR's RKT-DOH service for the first time and have scoured the forum (to no avail) to try and understand what to expect from RKT. FlightRadar24 suggests it's a pretty small airport, and ExpertFlyer is showing a paltry load of <10 pax...

To that end, I'd really appreciate if anyone who has flown the route could advise on the following:

- Is there a potential cancellation risk here given the low loads? Presumably just a rebook onto a same-day SHJ/DXB/AUH service?
- Would arriving just over an hour before departure suffice for the 23:35 QR1273? I'll have to check baggage and am travelling in F. Not too concerned about the lounge as my main priority is avoiding SHJ traffic by leaving DXB as late as possible...!
Bumping this on the off-chance someone can give me a steer before I leave tomorrow night. Will report back for future reference regardless.
aphro likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by Cathay1101
Bumping this on the off-chance someone can give me a steer before I leave tomorrow night. Will report back for future reference regardless.
It is very unlikely to be cancelled for that sort of reason. Expertflyer may only be showing selected seats rather than sold tickets, plus the inbound could be much busier.

QR's website says that airport check-in closes 60 minutes before departure, so give yourself enough of a.cushion

https://www.qatarairways.com/en/help...at-the-airport
aphro and Cathay1101 like this.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 8:44 am

Programs: Sindbad Gold, Etihad Guest Silver, Qatar Privilege Gold.
MH codeshare disappointment

Originally Posted by KingCanute
But if you are travelling in business I believe they still have the satay trolley. So that’s a net win
Not really, I am a vegetarian oof.
I lived in Malaysia for many years and love the food, but whenever I have flown on MH they have struggled to provide veg Malaysian. Those tiny Air Asia meals they even have veg now.
But I know a lot of people enjoy the satay, so I can take some and give to my neighbour if they would like
Old Mar 20, 2024, 10:25 am

I’ve never flown on Qatar and am looking to try their F on their A380 (via Avios) before they are going away for good. I’ve been looking at Doh-CDG/LHR but can only find Flexi awards. At least availability is quite good but obviously would prefer the lower saver rate. I was not able to find any non Flexi award no matter how close in or far out. Does Qatar now only release Flexi F awards on those routes? I have booked one for now but would be curious if there is hope. Thanks!
Old Mar 20, 2024, 10:34 am

QR have long specified that awards and upgrades with points are not possible on the LHR route.

You may find that standard rate awards are similarly blocked to/from CDG for large parts of the year.

Posters report better success on services to/from BKK and Australia. First is also offered on some other routes but this may be on ex-Cathay Pacific 777 aircraft rather than the QR A380 (including some flights to/from BKK)
Optimator likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 1:10 pm

I have a PER-DOH flight and ended up booking a DOH-SIN after it, with ~2.5 hours in between. Since these are 2 separate tickets am I just screwed if the PER-DOH flight is significantly delayed? Does it help at all that these are both booked directly with and operated by QR?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.