Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your questions here. Flame free

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your questions here. Flame free

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2024, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by moonsidian
I have a PER-DOH flight and ended up booking a DOH-SIN after it, with ~2.5 hours in between. Since these are 2 separate tickets am I just screwed if the PER-DOH flight is significantly delayed? Does it help at all that these are both booked directly with and operated by QR?
Basically, yes. Someone may be along here shortly to say they sweet-talked their way around it, but you have not booked a protected connection so both luck and a silver tongue would very much need to be on your side.

But the good news is that you will know you are significantly delayed a long time before you get to DOH. So you would be able to cancel or rebook to a later flight to SIN online or over the phone (or possibly at the ticket desk) before boarding at PER, or whilst you are in the air if necessary (assuming the onboard wifi is working). You would have to pay the cancellation/change fees in the fare rules of your ticket, plus any fare difference for a change, but that’s probably better than losing everything. Make sure you cancel or change at least 3 hours before the scheduled delarture time though to avoid being classed as a no show (so don't wait until you get to DOH).

If you are more risk averse than waiting until then, you could change to a later flight now. You'd still pay the change fees but the fare difference may be lower than waiting until the day.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 3:25 am

When Qatar sends an email with upgrade option to the customers, do they send it to all or just Priviledge club/People with points?
Old Mar 21, 2024, 7:58 am

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by KingCanute

Make sure you cancel or change at least 3 hours before the scheduled delarture time though to avoid being classed as a no show (so don't wait until you get to DOH).
Is it 3 hours or close of check-in?
Old Mar 21, 2024, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by kq747
Is it 3 hours or close of check-in?
Obviously if you don't turn up before check in closes you are a no show. But with regard to cancellations and changes, in amongst the definitions of a no show are:

https://www.qatarairways.com/tradepo...d-Charges.html

The detailed fare rules for the specific ticket should also confirm this.
kq747 likes this.

Last edited by KingCanute; Mar 21, 2024 at 9:00 am
Old Mar 21, 2024, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by KingCanute
Basically, yes. Someone may be along here shortly to say they sweet-talked their way around it, but you have not booked a protected connection so both luck and a silver tongue would very much need to be on your side.

But the good news is that you will know you are significantly delayed a long time before you get to DOH. So you would be able to cancel or rebook to a later flight to SIN online or over the phone (or possibly at the ticket desk) before boarding at PER, or whilst you are in the air if necessary (assuming the onboard wifi is working). You would have to pay the cancellation/change fees in the fare rules of your ticket, plus any fare difference for a change, but that’s probably better than losing everything. Make sure you cancel or change at least 3 hours before the scheduled delarture time though to avoid being classed as a no show (so don't wait until you get to DOH).

If you are more risk averse than waiting until then, you could change to a later flight now. You'd still pay the change fees but the fare difference may be lower than waiting until the day.
Thanks, for confirming that having a backup plan would be a good idea. I booked with Avios so it should be ~$100 to cancel within 3-24h of departure, if it becomes clear I won't make it.

I'm fine with taking an economy flight later in the day if nothing else is available (currently in J for DOH-SIN). I've also heard that QR might not take kindly to having multiple bookings when you can't physically take both flights, and can unpredictably cancel at least one of them if that's the case. So would it *not* be a good idea to make a duplicate backup booking now?
Old Mar 21, 2024, 12:23 pm

Programs: BA Silver / SQ Sol PPS / KE & EK Nobody!
Can confirm from the comfort of the RKT Business Lounge (which, FYI, lacks food but does have cold soft drinks) that 65-70mins would've been more than adequate in J/F or with OWS/E. No queue for priority bag-drop, passport control was automated and straightforward (same system as at SHJ as opposed to DXB's SmartGate), and then a lone security lane, all of which took about 7 minutes (and that was with a concurrent departure to BOM - so peak hour!)

Asked the check-in agent if the flight was frequently busy which was greeted with a scoff. 17 pax on the leg back to DOH, and a similar number on the inbound (by my rough calculations gazing at the airstairs during disembarkation). I'm not sure how much longer it'll be an outstation, unless the local Sheikhs are propping it up some other way.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 11:53 pm

Hi,
I am planning to book a qatar flight via BA Avios, I am getting a flight for 40k + 140$ from US to India, can i cancel the flight later before a week or month before flying and get full refund?
Old Mar 22, 2024, 1:26 am

Business Salt and Pepper Shakers

I have a small collection of salt and pepper shakers from other airlines. Some were encouraged to be taken (e.g. Virgin, Jet) and some were bought (e.g. Emirates). Does anyone know if Qatar allow “pinching” or if they’re sold on board/online? We’ve had some gifted by the airline after asking them post-flight too. Thanks.
aphro likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 3:49 am

Programs: Sindbad Gold, Etihad Guest Silver, Qatar Privilege Gold.
Originally Posted by d.patel
I have a small collection of salt and pepper shakers from other airlines. Some were encouraged to be taken (e.g. Virgin, Jet) and some were bought (e.g. Emirates). Does anyone know if Qatar allow “pinching” or if they’re sold on board/online? We’ve had some gifted by the airline after asking them post-flight too. Thanks.
I have thought the same myself. The tiny grinders are fantastic. I believe there is a QR gift shop at Doha Hamad with model planes and so forth - perhaps some kind person can check if they sell them there?
Old Mar 22, 2024, 4:19 am

Originally Posted by geekps
Hi,
I am planning to book a qatar flight via BA Avios, I am getting a flight for 40k + 140$ from US to India, can i cancel the flight later before a week or month before flying and get full refund?
Yes (mostly). But as you are booking through BA you will be subject to their rules and deadlines and penalties not QR's, so your queries would be better asked in the BAEC forum
Old Mar 22, 2024, 4:25 am

Programs: Some
Hi,
This will be subject to BA rules assuming you book through BA's website and not QR's. Through BA, you can cancel and get a refund up to 24 hours before first flight departure subject to a small cancellation fee which is capped at the amount of cash you have paid (I believe for US departures this is currently $55 but please double check). There is no cancellation fee if you are Gold Guest List. There is no refund if you cancel within 24 hours of departure.
KingCanute and geekps like this.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
This will be subject to BA rules assuming you book through BA's website and not QR's. Through BA, you can cancel and get a refund up to 24 hours before first flight departure subject to a small cancellation fee which is capped at the amount of cash you have paid (I believe for US departures this is currently $55 but please double check). There is no cancellation fee if you are Gold Guest List. There is no refund if you cancel within 24 hours of departure.
Thanks I am paying 140$ as per the website, in that case, do you think Ill lose 140 or 55?
Old Mar 23, 2024, 2:24 am

Programs: Some
Thanks I am paying 140$ as per the website, in that case, do you think Ill lose 140 or 55?
No the cancellation fee is deducted from whatever you have already paid in cash, but the cancellation fee can't be more than the cash amount on the ticket (i.e. if you'd paid 40K Avios + $20 then only a $20 cancellation fee is taken and you'd get 40K Avios back). In your case you should get about $95 back ($140 less $55 fee) but please check the fee hasn't gone up on BA's website first as I haven't looked if it's still $55 since last year.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 11:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
Looking to book a multi city trip and the business class fares presented are R & D. Are these fare buckets eligible for Lounge access at DOH?
Old Mar 28, 2024, 6:02 pm

Programs: United: 1K, BA: Silver, IHG: Plat, Hyatt: Plat, Marriott: Gold, SPG: Gold, Avis: Chairman
Booking virgin Australia award flights?

Originally Posted by eightblack
Hi there

We'd like to introduce the concept of the "Newbie Lounge" to the QR forum. We've used it successfully in other forums. So if you are new to FT or new to flying Qatar, and have a question, please post this here.

This thread will become a "sticky" meaning it will sit at the top of this page.

As always, Zol and I welcome any feedback for improvements to the QR forum

Regards

eightblack and Zol
Moderators - QR Forum
Just wondering if anyone has had any success or any pointers on how to book Virgin Australia award tickets with Avios via privilege club?

The "partner award search" doesn't list virgin Australia as a partner. I tried the online chat help... Gave me a rather bizarre response... "Please note that Virgin Australia is not part of the One World Alliance, it is only a partner airlines. Hence if you wish to use your avios with your Virgin Australia Velocity rewards program, you will have to contact Virgin Australia directly."

I don't get how/why velocity customer service would be able to help me spend my Qatar Avios???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.